----------------------------------- Archive Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:30 pm RoboCop: The Definitive History - By Titan Books ----------------------------------- Titan books will release a 224 page book entitled "RoboCop: The Definitive History" on Oct 24. The book features everything from the movies, Tv shows to the comics and toys. It contains rare and exclusive images, script pages, storyboards and much more, presented here for the first time. It also has brand new interviews with key creatives such as Ed Neumeier, Michael Miner, Jose Padilha, Joel Kinnaman, and Nancy Allen. RoboCop: The Definitive History will be released Oct 24. http://robocoparchive.com/forum/titanbook1.jpg http://robocoparchive.com/forum/titanbook2.jpg ----------------------------------- ChAnOoD Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:47 pm ----------------------------------- I hope Iīll get it at home in some weeks. Glad they do some new stuff instead of getting the stuff from the extras on the DVDs and put them there. ----------------------------------- Stan The Man Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:44 pm ----------------------------------- I agree with Chanood here mostly, with this post and the other one from Archive in the other topic, I feel a bit less pessimistic about this piece. Granted, as with everything else, it appears to be quite R1-biased (more than 70 pages alone on it). Sorta expected, and not a bad thing of course. However, I still wonder how much really 'new' stuff there will be for the other films and such - There seem to be more pages for the reboot than the other films/sections, which peeves me a bit.. So I still have a bit of trepidation, but less so than before. It sounds more like it delivers on what it purports here, which is good. Hell, even just a couple of new interviews alone would be worth it in my book. Good to have an update on this, Thanks much, Archive. ----------------------------------- CAIN MKII Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:04 pm ----------------------------------- Must have, ordered :) ----------------------------------- Archive Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:04 pm ----------------------------------- Naturally for us hardcore Robofans there's little new stuff as such. The new interviews are nice but ultimately tell the same stories we have heard before, just in another way. Nancy Allen is super bitter about Robo2 and 3 as usual and Julian Grant remain positive about Robo:PD. :) There ARE several never before seen pictures included, they range from cool to meh. But nice that we still to this day can get some actual new images to look at. I haven't read it all as of yet, but what I like is that the book is written in a way that it doesn't talk trash about any of the movies or tv shows. It just tells us facts and general reception of the product but let the cast and crew tell their views on it. As much as we hate Robo3, I don't necessarily want to read an entire article that just laugh and trash talk the movie. The only real negative thing I can comment on is the cover. The lens flares used is an absolute abomination and I can't believe that they chose to cheapen the product in that way. It's horrible. ----------------------------------- CAIN MKII Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:33 pm ----------------------------------- At least it will compile all the info in one book, still pretty cool! ----------------------------------- JimWantsAliens Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:31 pm ----------------------------------- This was certainly one release I really hoped wouldn't be a fuck-up, and it sounds promising. Whenever browsing the sci-fi section in book stores, I've always been happy to see oversized glossy coffee-table hardbacks about Alien and Terminator, but felt it was criminal there wasn't a Robo one. It's always good to have some big glossy photos in print. My ink cartridge can rest easy for a while. :) Long overdue! ----------------------------------- Stan The Man Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:22 am ----------------------------------- The only real negative thing I can comment on is the cover. The lens flares used is an absolute abomination and I can't believe that they chose to cheapen the product in that way. It's horrible. Yeah, between that and the font as we noted prior, the cover does leave a bit to be desired. I haven't read it all as of yet, but what I like is that the book is written in a way that it doesn't talk trash about any of the movies or tv shows. It just tells us facts and general reception of the product but let the cast and crew tell their views on it. As much as we hate Robo3, I don't necessarily want to read an entire article that just laugh and trash talk the movie. An objective showing is very good, I agree. On the base presentation of it I wouldn't want to read how awesome R1 is or how crummy PD is either (redundancy aside), nor would I want the opposite with crazy views on the films/pieces/etc. Outside of hearing the views of the parties involved of course (as their takes are worthwhile to read whatever they are), just a nice, level showing of info is fine, and it seems that this delivers there. Definitely a plus for me. :) Anyway, in terms of content sounds like more-or-less what I was expecting. Though I do like hearing about some new images, that is cool. All-told, even if it's not so much new stuff, it still seems to be a worthwhile purchase for even the most hardcore of us in any event. ----------------------------------- JimWantsAliens Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:59 am ----------------------------------- I've no issues with the front. "You are" instead of "you're" on the back irritates me though. ----------------------------------- RoboHell Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:49 pm ----------------------------------- Must have for the collection. ----------------------------------- vegasrobo Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:55 pm ----------------------------------- Oh yeah! ----------------------------------- RoboDemise Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:38 pm ----------------------------------- Must have for the collection. I agree. It will be something else to drunkenly stare at on my bookshelf. ----------------------------------- ChAnOoD Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:08 pm ----------------------------------- I just order it on the net. Canīt wait to take a look to it. ----------------------------------- Archive Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:46 pm ----------------------------------- I have one copy given by Titan Books that will be up for grabs in a contest coming soon. It will be a site/board contest only as doing it on facebook would probably be more chaotic than it is worth. ----------------------------------- RoboFan_93 Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:42 pm ----------------------------------- Nice to hear that it's more in-depth than I thought it'd be. Gonna have to put this on my "Stuff I need to get" list. ----------------------------------- vegasrobo Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:51 pm ----------------------------------- This^ ----------------------------------- Rick Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:20 pm ----------------------------------- I have one copy given by Titan Books that will be up for grabs in a contest coming soon. It will be a site/board contest only as doing it on facebook would probably be more chaotic than it is worth.Sounds good, I'll get my game face on then for it! :lol: ----------------------------------- Stan The Man Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:51 am ----------------------------------- It will be a site/board contest only as doing it on facebook would probably be more chaotic than it is worth. Yay for dedication on our part and elitism on Archive's! :) ----------------------------------- RoboPimp Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:53 am ----------------------------------- I have one copy given by Titan Books that will be up for grabs in a contest coming soon. It will be a site/board contest only as doing it on facebook would probably be more chaotic than it is worth. Good to hear I have a shot at getting one, because I probably won't be purchasing this book, due to the "The Legacy" section. Not only do I not agree with lumping all the comics, shows, games, and figures in one place, that would work if it's section weren't so short. Close to 80 pages for the first film seems appropriate, but all these other offshootts mentioned deserve as least as much attention collectively. ----------------------------------- RoboFan_93 Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 am ----------------------------------- Good to hear I have a shot at getting one, because I probably won't be purchasing this book, due to the "The Legacy" section. Not only do I not agree with lumping all the comics, shows, games, and figures in one place, that would work if it's section weren't so short. Close to 80 pages for the first film seems appropriate, but all these other offshootts mentioned deserve as least as much attention collectively. That's true. My main gripe with books like this is that the spinoffs never seem to get enough attention. ----------------------------------- RoboHell Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:19 pm ----------------------------------- Go ahead and mail it to me Archive, you know I never lose. ----------------------------------- RoboFan_93 Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:27 pm ----------------------------------- Go ahead and mail it to me Archive, you know I never lose. Tell that to the guy who gave you that negative PT :lol: ----------------------------------- Stan The Man Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:53 pm ----------------------------------- Good to hear I have a shot at getting one, because I probably won't be purchasing this book, due to the "The Legacy" section. Not only do I not agree with lumping all the comics, shows, games, and figures in one place, that would work if it's section weren't so short. Close to 80 pages for the first film seems appropriate, but all these other offshootts mentioned deserve as least as much attention collectively. I agree with and share a lot of your feeling, Pimp, as I marked earlier. The 'Legacy' which lumps all that other media is the second shortest section in the book, behind R2 and the reboot, which peeves me. A section that would encompass all the rest of the stuff in the franchise should be larger, certainly as big as the reboot section, which is the second largest. Devil's advocate, I get the reboot being a decent-sized section, it's quite recent and there is undoubtedly a lot of stuff about it around, both at the forefront and in the background. There is stuff for the sequel films of course, but it's rarely, if ever, been as forthcoming or as involved as the original or even the reboot it seems. That said, while I'm sure there's a good bit of info on R2 and R3, they still seem a bit light compared to the other stuff, which is disappointing as it continues the attitude of the sequels never getting much regard in the franchise. Those films have usually been neglected (especially in terms of in-depth background) for some time now and it seems that feeling hasn't changed too much here. Don't get me wrong, now - The book still seems quite worthwhile, as I said. I'm sure there's quite a bit of info for R2 and R3 - Hell, the 24 pages for R3 must have something in them. It looks good actually, it just isn't ideal or perfect - But since we don't live in an ideal/perfect world that's how it is I suppose. I'm not really disappointed, just feel this was just a bit of a lost opportunity to change the tone of franchise a bit. I still think Pimp makes a point about the 'Legacy' section and how it should be larger, since it has to encompass a lot more, but again, it is what is. Bottom line though, it isn't perfect, but I would still regard it as a must-have. ----------------------------------- ChAnOoD Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:44 pm ----------------------------------- As for "The Legacy", I guess itīll talk more about the TV series than anything else. Toys and merchandising, and even games are great to be included, but I doubt weīll have interviews with the people behind the Titus RoboCop (but I have to admit Iīd be happy to read honest words about the job they did) or the Kenner figures. I hope theyīll give a space to PD as well, as I was a little bit dissapointed on that FX Special we had before. I know the miniseries doesnīt have a lot of friends, but itīs the latest live action incarnation of Murphy until the reboot. Same with "Alpha Commando": itīs more a Inspector Gadget spin off that a RoboCop cartoon, but would be nice to have each TV show with enough space for every series. About comics, not sure how theyīll handle that. I doubt theyīll interview the artists or writers of the Marvel, Dark Horse, Avatar and Boom!, and I guess theyīll touch the surface, giving the movie adaptations, Robo VS Terminator and the latests more attention than the rest. Donīt know, just want to read it. Itīs cool to have a new book about a character you love. ----------------------------------- Archive Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:16 pm ----------------------------------- Don't expect much from the comic/game and toy sections. They are minimal and are more of a summary than anything. It also touch upon the wrestling thing and the statue very briefly. The book collects everything ever made with Robo, but the big focus is on the movies and to some extent the Tv shows. The series got 12 pages. 6 of those are pictures only. PD has 2 pages, and half of one of those pages is a picture. ----------------------------------- ChAnOoD Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:44 pm ----------------------------------- Don't expect much from the comic/game and toy sections. They are minimal and are more of a summary than anything. I wasnīt expecting a big deal with that, and I assume itīd go that way, but itīd be cool to get a little bit deep on those subjects. PD has 2 pages, and half of one of those pages is a picture. I guess the writer didnīt like the miniseries either :b ----------------------------------- JimWantsAliens Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:31 am ----------------------------------- Received this yesterday (had it on pre-order since March!) Nice. Very nice! Sure, I mean how could any single book say everything I want it to say about RoboCop. But it's still a lavish looking book. I could nitpick that the Animated Series doesn't even have a picture... But the fact remains, much like with the RvT reissues this year, it shows some time, care, effort and (fuck it!) love has been put into it. When you think of some of the awful DVD covers and other naff stuff we've got over the years, it's good to have some quality. ----------------------------------- JimWantsAliens Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:29 am ----------------------------------- For those who haven't got the book yet, there's a selection of images in this article. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/books/robocop-the-definitive-history-see-exclusive-images-from-the-book/ ----------------------------------- ChAnOoD Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:05 pm ----------------------------------- For those who haven't got the book yet, there's a selection of images in this article. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/books/robocop-the-definitive-history-see-exclusive-images-from-the-book/ I really dig that 209 update for the reboot. It has new features while it looks like the old Eddy. I think it was before they wanted to do the opposite from the original and screw all the cool designs. “Once you have a ‘superhero movie’ that is not based on the fact that kids want to be that superhero, then the movie has to rely on other things,” Thatīs the problem with the reboot. They didnīt understand the whole thing. That sentence and that "Kids will love it, itīll sell toys well" from the leaked promo video show how wrong the people behind it were. ----------------------------------- JimWantsAliens Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm ----------------------------------- I love the reboot. Have I mentioned that? :D ----------------------------------- ChAnOoD Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:17 pm ----------------------------------- Got the book today. I already read it. Itīs good, really. Great to see some behind the scenes pics, storyboards, promo pics and things like that. The only thing that could be done different is the "Legacy" section. The TV show has a cool article on it, cool pics and interviews. The rest, not too much. PD has one page and one pic, and they talked too little about the Marvel cartoon, for example (they give more focus on Alpha Commando). I wouldnīt separate the comics and merchandising as sections, because there are too many stuff to cover and too little space to talk about it. But overall is really good. Even the reboot section was worth it, and interesting to see how some concepts would work better than the final designs. Also, it has some cool stills from the 2014 film. And man, itīs a pretty impressive book. Wasnīt sure about the size, but itīs big. Not sure where I could put it, as it doesnīt fit in some shelves. I think itīll join the Dark Knight Trilogy book, big as well. ----------------------------------- JimWantsAliens Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:12 pm ----------------------------------- It's pretty awesome. Agree about the Legacy section. I suppose it's a good way of saying 'Here's some other stuff you can look into' for people who don't know about that stuff, but maybe a TV section (live action then cartoon) could have been a way to do it, followed by everything else in the Legacy section. I wouldn't have minded a bit of a longer entry about the Marvel run of comics, and the Dark Horse run and maybe some more gaming screenshots and figures (they reprint the NECA Jetpack figure - nice as it is - from 3 angles! Might have been nice to show the nightfighter for variety). But the fact is, I can't fault the film sections and that is, after all, the medium where RoboCop begun. And considering there's never been any real special features on the DVDs of Robo 2 & 3, it's nice to see them treated with a bit more care here. I wish Orion didn't go bust - RoboCop 3 could have been quite good! ----------------------------------- ChAnOoD Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:21 pm ----------------------------------- I wouldn't have minded a bit of a longer entry about the Marvel run of comics, and the Dark Horse run and maybe some more gaming screenshots and figures (they reprint the NECA Jetpack figure - nice as it is - from 3 angles! Might have been nice to show the nightfighter for variety). Yes, I wonder if those two pages were done that way for troubles with licenses, as no stills from the Marvel cartoon or comics when you have pics from other Robo related stuff made by other companies. Also, as they mention the Kenner toys, I found weird they didnīt include some pics from those toys. ----------------------------------- KidGoesWild Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:42 pm ----------------------------------- There are youtube clips with people flipping through the book, looks absolutely astounding ______________ http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/ ----------------------------------- RoboHell Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:37 pm ----------------------------------- Can't wait to open my mail box and see it sitting there! ----------------------------------- RoboHell Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:28 am ----------------------------------- Mother Fucker! This thing is bad ass! I'll post pics tomorrow! ----------------------------------- ChAnOoD Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:16 am ----------------------------------- Mother Fucker! This thing is bad ass! I'll post pics tomorrow! Yep, itīs a good looking book. :) ----------------------------------- KidGoesWild Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:18 am ----------------------------------- Ive got it about two weeks ago, I absolutely love it. Very nicely designed, with great layout and photos, and equally focused on the sequels as well. Dream come true for someone who loves written media on favorite movies, dream come true for me as a fan _____________________________ http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/ ----------------------------------- RoboConsultant Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:43 pm ----------------------------------- FINALLY got this today as a gift - as requested. It's quite beautiful. ----------------------------------- TODD-209 Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:18 pm ----------------------------------- I just ordered mine today from Amazon. In my search I saw the hardcover edition of the RoboCop vs. Terminator collected series and promptly ordered it too. That was one of my all-time favorite comic mini-series, and perhaps my favorite one featuring RoboCop. Can't wait to get 'em... ----------------------------------- ChAnOoD Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:27 pm ----------------------------------- I just ordered mine today from Amazon. In my search I saw the hardcover edition of the RoboCop vs. Terminator collected series and promptly ordered it too. That was one of my all-time favorite comic mini-series, and perhaps my favorite one featuring RoboCop. Can't wait to get 'em... Both books are pretty good :wink: ----------------------------------- TODD-209 Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:31 am ----------------------------------- Yes...my wife and I were out of town over the weekend, and I saw the Definitive History book at a BAM store, and I said, "Ohh...I want this sooo bad!!" She said, "How much is it?" I said, "Ahh...it's forty bucks." She whipped-out her phone, punched a few buttons, and said, "Amazon has it for twenty-five...just order it when you get home." I wanted to kiss her right then and there. (lol) ----------------------------------- RoboFan_93 Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:28 am ----------------------------------- Yes...my wife and I were out of town over the weekend, and I saw the Definitive History book at a BAM store, and I said, "Ohh...I want this sooo bad!!" She said, "How much is it?" I said, "Ahh...it's forty bucks." She whipped-out her phone, punched a few buttons, and said, "Amazon has it for twenty-five...just order it when you get home." I wanted to kiss her right the and there. (lol) I need to get me one of those... both the book and the understanding woman, I mean :) ----------------------------------- tang8wen8yi8 Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:07 pm ----------------------------------- very good,i have this book。 ----------------------------------- kinserfan11 Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:51 am ----------------------------------- Sorry if I saw this post I would NOT have made the other one; not everyone reads every post here sorry :(