New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2014 - REVIEW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote

TODD-209 :
Stan The Man :

Quote:
I enjoyed the physicality and presence Joel Kinnaman brought to the role. He had the stature, the commanding voice, and the vulnerability it took to portray a man that had everything ripped away from him, including his body, his family, and his life. The original film only hints at it, and even then you never get the impression that Weller's Robocop truly regains his humanity, not at least until the very end, when he calls himself "Murphy" and smiles.

First off, WHAT? Are you goddamned serious? You do realize that your statement implies Weller didn't bring that same level of presence to the role, and if that's the case, you need to wash the remake ring from your mouth and watch that first film again. Weller had everything you purport Kinnaman to have and then some. I don't know what the hell you mean talking about 'only hints'. As to regaining his humanity - I guess you consider the trip to his house, nearly killing Boddicker outright in the factory, his deliberate voice chance and removal of the helmet, and attempting to again outright kill Boddicker in the water inadequate 'impressions' of his regaining humanity prior to the end.

Wow, I didn't mean to make you so angry Stan. Maybe I should clarify my comments...

When I said the original film only hints at Murphy regaining his humanity, I meant that he slowly, piece by piece, in all of those instances you mentioned, reveal hints that deep down Alex Murphy is still in there somewhere, and then at the very end, he seems to have completely regained his full consciousness, as if he comes out of his cybernetic zombie-fog to reclaim his true identity. It's almost comparable to someone that survives a traumatic brain injury and their personality's changed; yes, they're the same person for the most part, but they may not remember their former life very much, if at all, although they pretty-much know who they are.

Incidentally, my comments were not meant to imply Peter Weller did not provide presence; he was RoboCop. No one ever even came close to what he brought to the role, and that includes Kinnaman. I truly wasn't trying to trivialize or minimalize what Weller did...it's a classic, irreplaceable, and impossible-to-replicate performance. His journey for the character just progressed in a much different manner than Kinnaman's Murphy, and I enjoyed seeing a different take. That's all I was saying, not that it was any better than the original. There was no disrespect meant.

As for Kinnaman's presence and physique, I guess I should have said he wore the suit really well. His stance and actions just seemed imposing, and he looked much bigger and taller than most of the other actors. Weller was the same way, physically. They're both lean and wiry men that had to be so in order to fit into their respective suits. I know for certain from past interviews that was the case for Weller, and I'm assuming it was the same for Kinnaman. Weller's imposing presence was the suit, that and his excellent voice and mannerisms. There's no debating that. But I also thought Kinnaman's RoboCop had somewhat of a beastly, organic look, almost like the Batsuit in Batman Begins...that whole thick-looking, almost muscular neck he has just makes his stance look imposing. And I thought his voice had a gravely, Sylvester Stallone quality I liked, although I didn't really care for the streetwise accent he sported at times as a detective. I would liked to have seen more of an overgrown boy scout persona for his Murphy, like Weller's seemed to be.

There is one glaring thing I did find really stupid...why did Vallon just stand there and let RoboCop shoot him? He didn't dive for cover, he didn't resort to a more powerful weapon. He just fiddles with his already-proven useless gun and stands there, knowing RoboCop's gonna shoot him. I did like how RoboCop emptied his clip into Vallon though. That was quite fitting and served him right for his stupidity. (lol)

It's cool, man. I wasn't mad, but definitely peeved there. Anyway, just good to know the remake hasn't fried your brain that much, dude. Wink

As for your last remark, I agree, even his death could have had more to it. The Riggs style shooting was ok, but still, definitely could have been more with Vallon, even there.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
As for your last remark, I agree, even his death could have had more to it. The Riggs style shooting was ok, but still, definitely could have been more with Vallon, even there.

Ha! I was thinking of Martin Riggs too when I saw that scene. Y'know what they say; great minds think alike...

RB 1633

ultra4
razgriz21
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote

I would give the movie a D-.

It felt so sanitized and phoned in except from Gary Oldman who delivered heavy handed.

No satire but it was commentary. A little too serious and no energy.

The scene where he is shown his organs really did not elicit shock maybe because it was not shocking.

The villains are non-existant and where's the crime?

The lack of violence was obvious and the action was boring too.

Was it just me or did it tackle too much at once.

Mostly, I was bored.

RB 283

toaster baby-food game-xbox
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote

razgriz21 :

It felt so sanitized and phoned in except from Gary Oldman who delivered heavy handed.

The scene where he is shown his organs really did not elicit shock maybe because it was not shocking.

Mostly, I was bored.

Though I myself would be a bit more generous in rating the film, this nailed it big time - I agree pretty much with just about all of this, well said.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote

Why was the scene where they unveiled his organs not shocking? What wasn't shocking about it? Really I would like to know what IS shocking if that isn't...

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Bauc
O-L4

O-L4

Comment: Dead or Alive you are comming with me

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
razgriz21 :

Mostly, I was bored.

Though I myself would be a bit more generous in rating the film, this nailed it big time - I agree pretty much with just about all of this, well said.

Best review so far, spot on!!!!!

RB 449

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote

razgriz21 :

This phrase popped up a thought in my memory.

In R1 there is only one section of the film where Robo fights crime in the generic sense, from then on he encounters Emil and then starts looking for all of Clarence gang and ultimately Dick Jones.

Yet that "fighting crime" section is iconic and memorable, fighting 3 different crimes, the grocery store, the attempted rape and the city hall hostage crisis. All to be remembered, very well done and interesting to see, also it's fun in a dark humor way.

So what about Robo fighting crime in the remake? I seriously cannot remember anything other than him arresting the guy from the crowd in his presentation, once he is deployed in the streets I just have the vague memory of Robo harassing drug smugglers in narrow streets, maybe realistic but completely dull.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote

artuditu :
[quote="razgriz21"
Yet that "fighting crime" section is iconic and memorable, fighting 3 different crimes, the grocery store, the attempted rape and the city hall hostage crisis. All to be remembered, very well done and interesting to see, also funny in a dark humor way.

I completely agree. This is a problem I see in a lot of the new comic book movies too. Many of them have the hero go straight from their origin and receiving their powers / abilities right to fighting high profile villains that ostensibly have some sort of personal connection with said hero before establishing them as a fearsome crime fighter. The first Tim Burton Batman movie starts with Batman swooping down on some average thugs, showing him to be the badass he is. The same is true of Robocops first few days in action. Unless we see them doing what they're supposed to be doing (kicking criminals asses) first then we won't care about what they aren't supposed to be doing (pursuing personal vendettas by questionable means). Nowadays they wanna jump right into the meaty plotlines before establishing their characters, and I'm glad this topic was touched upon to show just how well crafted the first film it.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote

Totally concur with you two, there's really a feeling of there being no introductory exposition whatsoever in these kinds of movies these days, which is something I feel is actually necessary in just about all of these instances - You want to see just how powerful these characters can be. RoboCop actually does some notable things before going about his own affairs (which itself happen out of chance mostly) while the remake almost goes straight to Robo getting revenge without showing anything that makes the character memorable prior, '89 Batman was too a great example. Even other films sorta of this vein, The Terminator for instance - The original film showed him committing his kills and actions as a reinforcement of what he was (in a way before we even really knew what he was). If you had the Terminator made now, he'd go straight after Sarah Connor after getting clothes and weapons out of nowhere, and such. Realism? Bah, there's only so much of it you can have in movies (especially ones like these) before it just muddies the waters, too much of it and you lose something and go into dullness, as said.

Bah, long story short, you guys nailed it pretty much. As for Demise's 'not shocking' comment - I found it more disturbing than shocking personally, but even so it too didn't really make much of an impact, like most of the rest of the film.

RB 52679

razgriz21
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote

RoboDemise :
Why was the scene where they unveiled his organs not shocking? What wasn't shocking about it? Really I would like to know what IS shocking if that isn't...

Too much CGI to be honest.

If they used prosthetics (like they still do on The Walking Dead) for the lungs, it would get a reaction from me.

I forgot to mention. The taser was unnecessary in my opinion.

In fact, if the movie were rated R, he could have shot the guy at the press conference making OCP's publicity to gain public goodwill backfire.

Imagine that.

It all boils down to a $120 million missed opportunity.

Also, I felt no emotion at all which is not good. I wasn't angry, happy, or excited.

One last thing, if you were to tell me the director of Elite Squad directed this, I wouldn't believe it.

RB 283

toaster baby-food game-xbox
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote

RoboDemise :

In that particular case editing and directing was too straightforward. In overall all that part of the film was showing too much at first, first full Robo and then its dismantling and lungs, it didn't play with mystery and anticipation as the original did. Remember not only how Robo is not shown at first with a full front shot but also when he takes off the helmet as a viewer you can feel some expectation, curiosity and nervousness there, we are not even shown the face of Murphy frontally at first but through that little rusty mirror, the music is also subtle but deep into the emotions.

And just as a general note, the movie got so less interesting with Murphy not losing memory and the up-down visor, in the original it was a big deal how we don't see his face again until the end, as a kid there was so much mystery, what was behind the visor? And then he recovers his identity but in its lowest point getting kicked his ass by ED-209 you see the eye through the cracked visor, that was emotionally powerful.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote

RoboDemise :

For me the fault is entirely in how the scene was shot. The idea and concept of it is shocking, but the actual scene lacks any emotional punch due to the sterile way it is shot. Flat and unimaginative.

They show everything front and center in bright lights and the horror and shock element is completely gone as a result. I do think that scene is probably the best in the movie and in the hands of a better director that scene could have been something really special.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote

I thought it was pretty shocking. And I thought it looked pretty convincing. But... It's pretty much also the climax of the movie. After that unveiling the movie starts to fall apart. Before that, except for the way he died it was shaping up to be a damn fine flick. That side cam walking scene (except for fake cg running afterward), that beautiful green field basking in the sunlight, then the removal of the "body" is damn good, and the rest of the movie doesn't stand a chance after that. This movie anyway. Another movie could have continued on greatly.

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard