New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop 1& 2 Movie books

thechief01
O-L3

O-L3

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Just picked up these, didnt know they existed, like most movie books I think just the movie with some extra content, give them a read and let you know what I think Smile

RB 283

Sin_Valor
No. 4 dumbass on the board

L-L5

Comment: Don't touch me man!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote

The tagline on the RoboCop 2 novel sounds so goofy.

"And now he's really cleaning up..."

What the hell do you think he is? RoboJanitor - The Future of Personal Hygiene?

RB 2

lewis-figure robocop-figure4 dvd-20th robocop-helmet auto9 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop Scratch Card
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, there have been novelizations of many films, Robo is no exception there.

That said, I think aside from the graveyard sequence and a couple extra bits the Naha book doesn't add much to what we already know/have seen. Still cool to have, and most probably worth the read I would think.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote

I've only read the first one and I remember there were some stuff not in the movie, particularly before Murphy gets blown away. It was a good read.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
I've only read the first one and I remember there were some stuff not in the movie, particularly before Murphy gets blown away. It was a good read.

Oh? Guess I might be mistaken then. That's cool to know. Well like I said, surely worth the read in any event.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
RoboFan_93 :

Oh? Guess I might be mistaken then. That's cool to know. Well like I said, surely worth the read in any event.

It was mostly exposition. I remember a part where Murphy was standing at the window in his house and remembered how his dad got shot while standing next to the window.
Also, I think during the Drug Bust part, Clarence theatened Robo to blow the whole place sky-high.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
I remember a part where Murphy was standing at the window in his house and remembered how his dad got shot while standing next to the window.

For me this was the best part of the book... a great insight into an aspect of the canon that's barely been explored since. Also, it was cool to see a little bit more of Clarence before what we get in the film. He's portrayed as a viscous cop-killer, which of course he is in the movie, but I remember his character sending a chill up my spine before Murphy is even introduced.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote

I had the R2 one which I lost during moving out many, many years ago, like almost 20 or so (!), I remember liking it very, very much and reading it a couple of times because it was so damn hard to find R2 anywhere on VHS after 1990. I was planning to buy the two novelizations finally after all these years but I hate the US cover for R2, so I waited for a good condition British version that the original poster has. Finally got it today.

I love novelizations, and I have novelizations for all of my favorite films,they expand the canvas , help us understand character's feelings , thoughts and intentions, and show us extra or changed bits that add to the story. I must say, out of all the novelizations I own and ever read, this one differs the most from the actual movie than any of them. Not only in the sequence of events and added scenes, but in how radically different the scenes that even ended up in the movie are, and how the characterization of almost every, if not every character is so vastly different than their onscreen counterparts. I was also shocked at how short this book actually is, I finished it in one afternoon, its also the shortest novelization I have so far. For example, Cain just seems to want money and power, which is the same old, same old, as oppose to his onscreen counterpart who thinks hes a god, hes a savior and is a very mentally twisted religious fanatic and a complete whacko. Lewis isnt the Lewis from the movie at all. At all.

What I did enjoy a lot is how the book confirms what I always thought, felt and talked about, that in R2, Robo is actually depressed and goes through inner turmoil and sadness. I got it right away from Weller's performance. While some misinterpreted it as Robo being back to robot mode, I had always felt hes just very downbeat and depressed, the book brings that fact on black on white

On Monday I should get the novelization of the first, which I have never read before, so Im looking forward to that

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
Lewis isnt the Lewis from the movie at all. At all.

Can you expand a bit more that statement? tongue1

Quote:
What I did enjoy a lot is how the book confirms what I always thought, felt and talked about, that in R2, Robo is actually depressed and goes through inner turmoil and sadness. I got it right away from Weller's performance. While some misinterpreted it as Robo being back to robot mode, I had always felt hes just very downbeat and depressed, the book brings that fact on black on white

Well that is a very interesting point, and I totally agree how with Weller acting we can "sense" it. I would open a separate topic just to talk in detail about Robo depression in R2.

To me it looks as if Robo deals with his depression by just repressing it while focusing in work (that is being a cop arresting the bad guys). It is very typical psychological response, many people when having family and personal troubles they become like workaholics.

You can say he doesn't support the police strike because of his sense of duty, because of being a product following directives, or because of forgetting about his depression?

Does he really hate that much Cain, or is he transferring to him all his anger and frustration? I mean, you can sense from the very beginning that for Robo there is something personal about stopping Cain. Again, just a sense of duty or some turmoil inside Robo?

He has to tell his wife, after stalking her, that he is not Murphy and doesn't want to see her again. Next thing he does? Chasing Cain.

Then you have those little moments when he is almost going to caress a baby, or the sadness of seeing Hob die, little details when you can sense his humanity and sadness hitting him back.

And of course the best part is when he is reprogrammed to be "happy", a parody of himself, it's a very funny metaphor of giving prozac to a depressed man. Again he gets free of his anti-depressive directives (almost commiting suicide!) and what does he do? Go chase Cain, it's like an obsession.

And what about the final sentence of the film? Completely nihilistic and hopeless, the opposite of the optimism and good tone of the first film ending.

So I find this a very interesting debate, and I agree R2 has a complex psychology behind Robo, it's not obvious but you can feel it all the time. Now I can say I understand much better Frank Miller approach to the character, a very mature one. In R3 you can still say he is a sad figure for most of the movie, yet it is psychologically not as complex as R2.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote

What I meant by saying that lewis isnt herself in the novelization is simply just the way she talks, thinks, acts, its just not her. She a more reserved character, not a very talkative, wise cracking hyperball. Also the love thing they did in the novel between her and Robo is just not right, feels very out of place.

As far as Robo's depression, I dont know how Weller did it, but without stating it black and white, with his performance, I sure got it right away. Minutes into the movie I went "hes really down, somethings bugging him", with novelization pretty much stating it out flat, it finally confirms what I always saw onscreen.

As far as him channeling his pain and anger into Cain, its an interesting interpretation, although I wouldnt think that was the intention behind the idea, although Cain does symbolize certain things for Robo. In the novelization, it does say he sees in Cain the root of all current evil in Detroit, the indirect murderer of children and the shatterer of families, likewise, in Hob, robo sees not only his son, but also a representation of what Detroit is doing to children, rotten Detroit's offspring.

When it comes to Robocop 3, well Robo in that movie acts like a plain robot flat out, and that was always my main issue with that film, but perhaps in universe you can make an argument that his humanity regressed since hes been a robot for so long that hed just become more of a machine, being so long a machine rather than man

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:32 am Reply with quote

Of course I don't say that Cain was a saint, obviously not, he was an evil drug lord (although he had some mental issues and delusions too, even if he had tons of money it didn't look as if that was his primary motivation, he obviously liked the power and sense of purpose, he was proud of his product as Steve Jobs would be proud of his iphones or pixar movies).

So of course Robo being a cop he should despise a criminal lord as Cain, but my point is the way the plot is structured Robo resorts to chasing Cain after personal issues (first after confronting his wife, then after almost committing "suicide" after his "prozac" brainwashing) and that is not a coincidence.

Also the first time Robo faces Cain he tells him "death or alive", Cain replies "one of us must die" and Robo says "dead then" and he almost proceeds to execute him! Is that normal behavior for Murphy? There is an emotional state and some internal repression going on there, Cain and workaholic behaviors are a relief for that internal pressure and turmoil Robo is experiencing.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote

Not got either of these myself, but they often show up on evilBay, so it won't be difficult to grab them.

RB 2548

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Games & Comics All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard