New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

A RoboCop 2 fan-edit, legal and idea good enough?

Maxlee
C-L1

C-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Hello everyone, Maxlee here.

I was thinking of making a Robo2 fan-edit, but I was wondering if this is a legal thing to do? Granted, I'm not entirely sure what I would want to achieve with this, I don't have the plan that this should go on Youtube and become big and all that, but maybe if it does turn up well, I atleast want people to be able to see it.

Secondly, I'm not sure if the idea is good enough.

Here's the main idea:

1) remove the entire RoboCop dismembered plot into crazy directives plot into RoboCop electrocutes himself plotlines
2) Combine footage of RoboCop strolling through River Rouge + RoboCop shooting baddies when the police force raids River Rouge, on his first attempt at apprehending Cain, after Duffy spills the beans.
3) I know this will be a bit jarring: Cain drives off in his armored van, with RoboCop stepping on a motorcycle to give pursuit (thus skipping the entire RoboCop clinging to Cain's van stuff) This will create a small problem of the scenery suddenly switching from River Rouge to a city neighborhood.
4) Move all RoboCop stalks his wife and RoboCop meets his wife plotlines to after Cain is hospitalised. This gives the idea that with Cain out of the picture, RoboCop goes back to haunt his past life, while creating some time to pass by for Cain to become RoboCain.
5) Minor stuff removed: Duffy evisceration, Cain surgery, Violin playing man.

Idea in a nuttshell: RoboCop's first attempt at arresting Cain is succesful and afterwards RoboCop stalks his wife. Various unnecesary scenes here and there removed.

My wild estimate is to atleast remove 30 minutes of footage, bringing the movie to about 45 minutes.

So, possible or uh nothanks

RB 1560

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote

Certainly possible in terms of legality - It should be fine as fair-use since it's a re-edit and thus a 'commentary'/'criticism' of sorts. Furthermore, you're hardly doing a straight rip of the movie, or even a partial one as you're going to omit and re-arrange various sequences.

David Cell's old 'Human Factor' and Prime Directives fan re-cuts are along the same vein of project, and both are still on YouTube as far as I know (and both are a good deal longer, too - That said, if only 30 minutes of the film is gone, you're still looking at more like an hour and a half left, since R2 is about a 2-hour film, unless you're taking out more or something). Granted no one, even MGM, really cares about either of the series I think - R2 might be more a risk. But frankly I think the law is on your side here. Not that that means shit to the arbitrary administrative dicks at Google, but still.

We're all out of the whole remake hoopla and Robo interest has probably died down a good bit so this is a much safer time to attempt it than it was before, at least. I'd love to check this out, myself.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote

MGM are still very picky about the three RoboCop movies. (Nobody cares about the tv shows.)
All my Robo videos that feature clips from the movies have been manually claimed by MGM, but they at least allow them stay online for now so I can't be too bitter about it. I tried the "fair use" thing with MGM but they have never gone with it and I have several copyright strikes and shut down channels to show for it.

A fan edit of Robo2 however; I can absolutely guarantee that if you'd upload such an edit to youtube that MGM would either block it or remove it. In a couple of years we can hopefully go back to the golden days of MGM not giving a shit about Robo but we've still not gotten there as of yet.

As for the actual idea of such an edit. I think it's an interesting idea although I'm one of those that Robo2 works pretty well as it is. Still would be fun to check it out if you'd manage to make it work somewhat seamlessly. (Too bad we never got any deleted scenes to play around with. )

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote

I agree with Archive, if we had some deleted scenes to work with, that would be fine. Recutting and re-arranging some of the stuff might bring an interesting new take to the movie, but it's not something I desperately need (especially if it removes the "Robo holding on to the van" part tongue)

Same goes for the YouTube part, as of now, the only way I can see this not being taken down relatively quickly is if you go the pirate route, but this is not the place to discuss it.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote

Something I'd be interested in would be taking R2, R3, and whatever other aborted material that's available in film and trying to make Frank Miller's RoboCop 2 just for the sake of it. I know that's quite a bit left field of this topic, but it's something that's interested me.

I think your idea is sound too, and I'd like to see it done.

RB 549

Scratch Card
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote

BOOOOOO!

I don't know why you'd want to desecrate a fine film and take away some of the greatest moments from it, but I can guarantee I will never watch something like what you've proposed. Like previously stated, if there were deleted scenes to add onto the narrative I could support it, but basically you just want to fuck with something that doesn't need to be fucked with, thus I think your idea is shit.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Maxlee
C-L1

C-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Well I decided to drop the idea anyways, so don't worry tongue It was just something I woke up with one day...

RB 1560

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Fan creations All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard