New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Tiring of Video games?

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote

I used to be an avid gamer,Still have a 360 and a PS3,This last 2 years I've found myself getting really tired and not very excited about games anymore,They've become so damn cookie cutter that none of them seem to appeal to me anymore Am I alone in this?

CREDITS 1111

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Officer Igor Antunes
Detroit Police | Omnicorp

Sgt-L2

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote

I'm with you bro. Tired of games. My old PS2 is locked somewhere. I actually preffer to mess with my Ford Tauruses back at the garage. Maybe im growing older each day. My girl dont like games, and don't like to see me playing, so lost the interest on playing.

I still have some old games (SWAT4, RavenShield, BF2) and actual ones (Eurotruck2) installed on my home PC for these stressed days when the best thing to do is drive away or shoot someone (virtually of course).

CREDITS 57

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote

I was an avid gamer for years too, a PC gamer more exaclty, but like 5 years ago I progressively stopped playing games. I found them more and more repetitive, shorter, simple and less original, even if graphics got better (not that much really, how the graphics are evolving in the past 5 years is nothing compared with the speed of graphics innovation in late 90's and early 2000's).

Maybe it's the casual player that became the main target audience. Or maybe it's just we get older and our tastes and interests change. I actually found myself much more interested in cinema, I know what I'm going to say is offensive to some, but I found videogames are still a much inferior form of art and entertainment than films. I've loved games with great stories and offering life experiences such as Metal Gear Solid, Half Life, Mafia, Knights of the Old Republic, ... I've really loved playing them, but I can't compare their level of acomplishment to a good movie or series, what is behind of making a film like RoboCop, with the screenplay process, directing, production and probably most important of all, actors, is just unattainable for the videogame artform right now; and I know today there can be a lot of work, effort and money behind a videogame, some are even more expensive than many movies.

Maybe Baldur's Gate 2 and some adventures like Monkey Island and Grim Fandango are the only videogames I would put at a higher level. Anyway I still follow videogames news and releases, even if I don't play any at all. If there is a videogame that looks to have a great story and visual design I just go to youtube and watch some walkthroughs or edited version with only story and cinematics, I don't have any need to play them, I can just watch.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote

Yeah Man,I think what clenched it for me was Black Ops 2,I had been buying into the shooter genre really since the original Medal of Honor back in the PS one days and it seemed that any real innovation in that genre really ended with "Black" to me,I found myself starting to play these games just to get to the end,Not feeling any impact from the story telling really not being moved in any way at all..

CREDITS 1111

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote

I've been pretty much PC-exclusive for the last decade so that's where a lot of my focus is. So I can't speak for consoles.

As time has gone on I find myself more and more playing a bunch of older stuff. I hit plenty of emulated games, some as old as me, as well as PC stuff from about a decade or so back. I've yet to mess with anything more recent than 5 years or so.

Part of that is because I missed out on that older stuff then. Part of it is also because I've been out of it as far as real gaming since about that time. But yet another part is because nothing newer seems to interest and/or fascinate me like that older stuff.

I believe a big problem is that games over the last decade have shifted from actual content to looks. There has been real emphasis placed on graphics at the expense of actual gameplay. I believe that has been a downer to avid/serious/hardcore gamers. What it has done is pander to a consumer base that is far more casual. The hook for drawing people in seems to be looks. I don't like that. And I despise that that is the direction that gaming seems to have been going.

For the longest time video games were a kind of niche, not something for anyone/everyone, not even something for most people. But in the last decade or so they've tried their damnedest to be more mainstream. I dislike that. I'll never call myself hardcore but I get involved when I play something, I like feeling a sense of challenge. Sure I have mindless fun too but that is not the only reason I play games, or admittedly the main reason. I like to have substance to my games, just like I do with my films and TV shows.

That's probably why I ain't been blown away with a lot of games these days, because they seem to be more on that level - they look neat but it's all fat and little meat. Games used to be the other way around, they had to - games had to rely on having good mechanics, stories, characters and content because the graphics technology just wasn't that good, it could never even be a real hook. Nowadays it seems to be the prime, if not only thing that draws people in. Nobody looks to anything more the first time. I did, still do, I want something more than skin deep.

I haven't been interested in RPGs for a long time. The last Zelda I really played was on N64. I find old-school Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star neater and more fulfilling than almost anything lately. WoW bores me. Shooting games haven't really advanced in terms of feel - I played MW2 once a couple years back, it seemed to be all style and glamour but that was about it. To this day I would still be content with Counter-Strike and Americas Army for online kill fests. And so on.

Yeah there are newer and fancier pieces but frankly I want and indeed tend to play something that has something more to it than prettiness. And I think that is thing with 'old-school' gamers, they're being driven out by all the mindless fools who think a game should be nothing more than a beautiful screen you mash buttons with. I think a lot of games over the last few years have had too much focus on graphics and not the real game itself. Can't stand that.

I used to game quite a lot. Was my main thing. Most other stuff took a backseat. Now I find I'm more balanced between games and films/TV. I understand artus point about leaning to film instead of games and in some ways I agree. I myself can't really compare the two in terms of 'art' because they're different animals. But I understand the feeling though. Back in the day games might have rated better in that regard, but again, it's because they needed to have more than just good looks - same thing applies to film, for me anyway.

Anyway, just my opinion, Do keep in mind that I'm outdated - I've really been out of it, still am. Not really because I don't want to keep playing, on the contrary. But I find my interest has gone to playing/replaying older stuff than keeping up. Again, nothing seems all that interesting or distinctive to me these days. There are some shout-outs, some things that look great and seem to have something more to them. A few games though, thats it. Only a few for the last few years. I remember years where I wanted more-or-less every game that came out. Not really the case these days though.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote

vegasrobo :
Yeah Man,I think what clenched it for me was Black Ops 2,I had been buying into the shooter genre really since the original Medal of Honor back in the PS one days and it seemed that any real innovation in that genre really ended with "Black" to me,I found myself starting to play these games just to get to the end,Not feeling any impact from the story telling really not being moved in any way at all..

Yeah, that's the feeling, and it means you've already played too many games Smile

A casual gamer that started to play videogames a few years ago is almost like a virgin :P

It's a similar feeling with the remakes, we despise many of them, but the kids and teenagers that watch them today can be as impressed as we were 15-20 years ago.

FPS is probably the genre I've played more, when I tried the first time Doom in the mid-90s I just wanted to play every FPS out there! Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Rise of Trials, Dark Forces (probably the one with most storytelling, being the rest more platforms than anything else)... And then came Quake and 3D game engines, and dozens and dozens of new FPS, graphics were better, story and narrative was more complex, and gameplay had something new in every game and all those innovations and improvements made it exciting to try new games.

Maybe the videogames died from success, right now they are incredibly expensive to develop, it takes so much time. employees and money to develop a short game with a simple story because of all the technology, animation, graphics, etc. it's normal story and narrative lose weight and become secondary.

Anyway other than the adventure games I can't say platform and arcade games in the 90's had great storytelling, everything was about graphics and gameplay together with cool character and universe design, in essence not that different from games today, although as Stan has pointed they were more of a challenge, no quick saves. It was in late 90's and early 2000's when I think most game peaked at complexity, storytelling, genre diversification, and contemporary gameplay really developed.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote

FPS was big with me, still probably is the biggest genre for me I guess you could say. I remember those old games, Duke Nukem, Dark Forces, then Quake/Quake II, Half Life, MoH.. awesome stuff. I was still mostly into console stuff at that time, even on N64 some of it was great - GoldenEye 007 especially. It was mainly more fun than a lot of that other stuff but still awesome. Turok series filled a good need for bloodlust. Then Perfect Dark came.. it was immense for its time - programmable combat maps with fully configurable bots, challenges that drove me to tears, even had a co-op mode for the campaign. Truly amazing piece.

As for PC, I remember going through Quake and HL into MoH:AA, Ghost Recon, Delta Force series, Hitman was especially tough, Halo, Red Faction (been going back though that one lately), et al. I think 2004/2005 seemed to be the last peak year for me with FPSs - Doom 3, HL2, Halo 2, original Far Cry. Everything was great in those games - graphics, gameplay, story, control. Since then its kinda deflated. I haven't really been into FPS a whole lot since those games mentioned above. I find them droning more as time has gone on. Some have better gimmicks than others but thats it, no real feel or flavor.

Part of it could be because of GTA 3D -I love the GTA series and its sandbox style, the allowance of adventure and goofing off. A universe that allows you a lot of freedom and control, yet still has a progressive setup and has challenge and difficulty at times.

Shooters weren't/aren't like that, more linear. I like some wiggle room. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind linearity as long as the other aspects are compelling and fulfilling, if I'm 'moved', as vegas says. I loved going through it the one way you have to if I had the feeling of 'I have to see whats next' and all that. The games above had that, in spades. I'm not sure new ones do though.. that hook for me to want to play through it isn't there now. It could be just me, but I'm not so sure.

Anyway, there are other types of things I play. I agree about the later Jedi Knight series being more platformers, but they were fun, the lightsaber combat was awesome..

I love Strategy games, turn and RTS, I was an Age of Empires addict, Age of Mythology, Rise of Nations. Civ3 I thought was amazing, then Civ4 came out.. I remember burning though it for days on end when I first got it (still hit it on occasion). Haven't really checked out anything in that field these days though, not sure if that much has changed really.

RPGs I haven't been into since my console days. New ones seem hokey to me. I don't like WoW, it bores me. Older RPGs have feel and depth to them, that doesn't seem to be anymore.

Racing games I was heavy on for a while, I mainly centered on Need For Speed but I kinda lost my hardcore interest.. I didn't entirely care for it going to the whole street-racing 'Fast and the Furious' setup. Still they did pretty good with it, I still find them challenging yet entertaining. But it's been a long time since I've actually bought any kind of racing game.

Anyway my beef is that games these days are too much flash. Sometimes even all flash. Sure they focused on flash and looks plenty before but not entirely, and not at the expense of the rest of the game. As you said though, its getting tougher and more expensive. Perhaps they reached a peak and now its all about keeping up more than anything. As you said, success could have been a downfall.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote

Old thread but, new to me:
I can agree with some of the comments made about the changes in games over time. They had become so successful that they started to try too hard to outdo themselves. I often find myself falling in love with a game and then when I get to the sequel, there were so many changes (in order to stay fresh and do something new) that I wish that I could just have more of that first game. There are a number of fan made games, and modified games that have given me that chance to replay something that I know, but have different content. There are also a number of indie/fan games that build upon old ones (although they usually borrow the material from the source code of the originals). I think that in an effort to outdo themselves, the game companies have closed some doors with fans who don't need constant changes and improvements upon the last one. I understand that it isn't right to charge a person a pile of money for a new game that is very similar to the last one, but then again, they don't have to overcharge either. But they certainly have, remember old Nintendo games? Some of them were almost carbon copies of each other with similar plots, sound effects, etc. But then games were new, now the customer is much more savvy.
Not to mention, the customer has also changed some. At one time the people playing computer games were a select few who had the means or the interest. After the third generation of video games and consoles came out, everyone could be a gamer (if the ad campaigns did their job, hence the game company mascots, commercials, merchandising, etc.). Now we are at a point where most people experience gaming and many play regularly. This has prompted the companies to water down the games for most skill levels. When Nintendo games were coming out on the NES, they were brutally difficult at times. nowadays most skilled gamers can complete a game in a day or two, leaving much to be desired.
Take me back to the old days when games were rudimentary and involved pinpoint strategy. A time when game scores mattered and were a source of competition between players. Try to remember when games offered more with less. That is the type of game I like to play. While I have my few favorites from the last 10 years, nothing will compare to those nostalgic masterpieces of the early 80s.

CREDITS 35

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote

Recently I have to praise "The Last of Us" and "Silent Hills P.T." demo. Two games I think have pushed forward the art of videogames.

I also read my old long posts in this thread, and I am surprised I didn't mention how much I enjoyed for a couple of years my first multiplayer experiences, mostly Starcraft and Counter-Strike, with a bit of Diablo 1 & 2. That was fun, but also a bit too addictive for a teenager tongue

CREDITS 947

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
I also read my old long posts in this thread, and I am surprised I didn't mention how much I enjoyed for a couple of years my first multiplayer experiences, mostly Starcraft and Counter-Strike, with a bit of Diablo 1 & 2. That was fun, but also a bit too addictive for a teenager tongue

I WISH I could've gotten into some Starcraft action back in the day.. It was mostly shooters for my limited yet notable online forays back in the day though.. some Counter-Strike and BF series, was big on PlanetSide for a bit but I was primarily on America's Army most of the time I was online (which wasn't that much), and indeed stayed with AA when I had a brief comeback stint a few years ago. Though I didn't it too long overall it was immersive, I definitely remember some multi-hour runs and waiting to hit it back again the next day (when sometimes it already was the next day, heheh).

Those early days on online play were fun and awesome, even though I prefer the solitary experience mainly. They were also tough and daunting, as well. Sad thing is that given how casual the whole gaming deal is (and especially so in the online portion of it) I could probably hop back into it now without much trouble and do it more on a casual basis myself - A dozen or so years ago online gaming was much like how harder single-player games were; You had to have a bit of were-with-all just to even make a solid attempt at it and you had to have dedication - Long, obsessive grinding runs were really the only way to play then, dudes (and some gals) that were on there were no joke. I know that is all still around of course but again, the whole deal seems diluted compared to a decade to 15 odd years ago. I wasn't really elite in those days but was pretty good. I feel I've lost a couple steps these days but again, sadly, that probably won't be a drawback in the present era of much more casual gaming.. Bah.

Hell I've fooled around with my sis on some bits of CoD here and there the last few months.. We're talking like half-hour stints and stuff. Despite being out of my prime and on a console (I always feel kinda lost without my WASD keys and mouse), I was doing quite good. Again, though, I chalk that to the experience itself being dumbed down more than my own mad pwn skillz still being there. tongue

CREDITS 2304

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Computer and Videogames All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard