RegisterRegister  PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

PLAYBACK 2016_

JimWantsAliens
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote

2016 is nearly over. (It probably is by the time you read this.) But not before we look back at the year in merch and RoboThings. The rule is the things have to have actually materialized, so announcements of future events donít count, but expect to see them on next yearís list!

Honorable Mention
On my 2015 list which is available here http://www.robocoparchive.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=123741 , I placed the Chronicle statues at number 1, despite the fact I could not afford them at that point. Thanks to a relatively dry year on the merch front compared with 2014/15, hard work, some thrifty saving and a Black Friday sale, I am now the proud owner of both. Whilst I illustrated last yearís article with a photo of ED-209, itís worth saying that there is a level of detail in RoboCain that is just breathtaking. It made me appreciate Phil Tippetís work on RoboCop 2 on a whole new level. That film is a technical triumph, even if its narrative structure leaves a lot to be desired. These arenít cheap but theyíre still available. https://www.chroniclecollectibles.com/product/robocop-2-cain-10month/

Mugs

As a Brit, thereís nothing I like more than drinking tea, queueing in a post office and being villainous. And what better to drink tea out of than this assortment of Robo mugs. Makes tea taste like baby food. Oh, and there wasnít a RoboCop 3 mug. Anyone would think that film had a 3% score on Rotten Tomatoes or something.

RedBubble Tees

Itís been a bit of a quiet year for official merch. But thereís a great range of tees available out there. Difficult to tell when these came out or if designers have stolen them of each other or just taken them from online. But these are some of the ones that caught my eye this year. RedBubble have a good selection. Electric Zombie appear to have gone quite, the Robophobes. Wink
http://www.redbubble.com

Candy Killer Litho Print

This great alternative poster design which Iím sure most of you have seen online is actually available as a A2 (42cm x 59.4cm) litho print on 140gsm silk finish paper from Candy Killer. Comes free with a The Thing poster for a limited time, so get yours quick!!
http://candykiller.bigcartel.com/product/robocop-poster

Prince Charles Cinema RoboCop & The Terminator double bill

Ok in many ways, this should be number 1. But seeing as this particular screening was in London for one night only at an independent cinema, it seems unfair to put it at number 1 on this list as no one outside the UK stood a good chance of getting to it! So I finally got to see RoboCop on the big screen after 29 years! In the UK, the Ď18í certificate that the first two RoboCop movies have meant you could not see them under that age. Unlike the ĎRí rating, it doesnít matter whether you have an adult with you. It was a great experience to see the film as it would have been in 1987 on 35mm film. The film was also shown digitally on a double-bill with Ex_Machina at Somerset House in the Summer. Check your local independent cinemas, you never know where it'll be showing next! Hopefully weíll see an official theatrical re-release on the 30th anniversary, or RoboCop Day 20/9. (Thatís 20th September, American citizens). This showing was a double-bill with The Terminator and they even projected a playthrough of the first two levels of RvT on Sega Genesis during the interval. If youíre near London, the same cinema will be showing RoboCop again as part of a Verhoeven sci-fi triple bill in the New Year!

MOBA Legends game appearance

Okay, so weíd all rather Robo popped up as a playable character in a Mortal Kombat game (why not?! Theyíve had Freddy Kreuger, Leatherface, an Alien xenomorph and Predator hunter), but any appearance of Robo in popular culture is always welcome. And the voice actor is a Peter Weller sound-a-like. Seriously, letís get him to voice an R-rated anime-style RoboCop cartoon. Getting to hear him deliver the final line of RoboCop 3 is a real treat. Shame I canít download this in the UK. I canít keep completing the 2014 mobile game.
https://youtu.be/1X7NxHyjRAM

threezero RC-2000 v1.0 exclusive version figure

Technically the v4.0 as well! All the other threezero reboot figures were fantastic, but the RC-2000 v3.0 left a lot to be desired. This was the final release and I didnít hold out high hopes for it. Maybe theyíd lost interest. Thankfully, this didnít suffer from the wonky visor issue of the v3.0 figure. This threezero store exclusive also came with an interchangeable unmasked head. I assume threezero are done with the reboot now (and maybe RoboCop altogether if their RoboCain doesnít materialize in 2017!), but if they ever want to do the lost v2.0 figure, Iíll be buying.

Dead Or Alive Volume Two

The second trade paperback (also available digitally on ComiXology with animated panel zooming!) collects issues 5-8 of this great story by Joshua Williamson. Once again, there is super detailed artwork by Carlos Magno. Unfortunately, he bowed out as illustrator after issue 8, so itís nice to have two volumes with consistent artwork. He has even written an afterword at the end of this collectrion. What makes this an essential buy even if you have the comics is the extras. In addition to the obligatory covers gallery, we get interviews with Williamson and Magno about the characters, and story choices. There are also some script excerpts and draft artwork. Colorist Marissa Louise writes about how she renders Roboís metallic suit and cover artist Goni Montes reveals all about creating those distinctive covers.

The Complete Frank Miller Omnibus

Collecting Frank Millerís RoboCop and Last Stand, this represents Steven Grantís comic adaptation of Frank Millerís original screenplays for RoboCop 2 & 3. I expected this to be a compact version of the originally issued trade paperbacks, but actually itís the same size as BOOMís previous TPBs and despite the minimalist cover artwork, it looks fantastic with its silver debossed logo on the cover and spine. Not really an essential purchase if you already have the individual comics or previous trade paperbacks, but a must-buy if you havenít got this in your collection. This edition features some exclusive extras, namely the first two pages of Millerís R2 & R3 screenplays, as well as the first two pages of the first draft of R2 and his original drawing for his story submission. Also available on ComiXology with animated panel zooming.
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Frank-Miller-RoboCop-Omnibus/dp/1608869121

RoboCop 3: The Deluxe Edition (Limited Collectorís Edition CD)

Well this was on my Most Wanted list last year but I never expected it to be released. Only 2,000 were released as part of a limited release, on RoboCop Day! Well, around the 20th of September. Certainly a coincidence, but let me just believe RoboCop Day is internationally recognized now for a minute, okay?! The original issue only had a measley nine tracks and was less than half an hour long. This deluxe reissue weighs in at 26 tracks (many are extended or cover multiple scenes) and 70 minute running time. Thereís also a decent inlay book with photos and an essay from Jeff Bond about RoboCop 3. (Varese Sarabande also released 3,000 Starship Troopers double CDs!) Basil Poledourisí score is easily the best thing about R3. Now if they could use some of this to rescore that R2 SE Blu-Ray next yearÖ

RoboCop II: The Corporate Wars script

My number 1 choice this year had to be the full lost RoboCop II: The Corporate Wars script made available here on the Archive. A first draft, but a very interesting one, and a glimpse into what the possible future of RoboCop as a character and as a film series could have been if Orion werenít desperate to rush a sequel into production as soon as possible without the original creators and writers Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner. (Incidentally, I donít even think any of their handwritten notes where undecipherable.) We even got a supplementary video including interviews with Ed and Michael. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5GKAN4VvTo
For those of you who missed this seismic event, stop reading this and start reading this
http://www.robocoparchive.com/archive/movie-robocop2-cw-script.htm

RB 2145

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP3 - L5

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote

Nice list, pretty much concur on the lot myself, RemakeCop figure perhaps aside (it seems a good figure though, I grant).

That RoboCAIN is truly amazing. I love CK's RoboCop print (all the rest of his are excellent too). The CW script has been indeed the best treat of all, with ya 100% on that one.

I must say it's total bullshit how there's a mug for RemakeCop and not R3. Bah. But that's a minor tif there. I've also seen an awesome Robo flask that probably merits inclusion here. Hell if you're gonna be a worthless drunk may as well show what you love doing so. tongue

Yeah it's been a bit dry and of course 2017 will be much better though (in this regard and hopefully others) - but we still got some pretty awesome Robo stuff this year. Smile

RB 52120

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun UC-M21 robocop3-gunarm remake-gun
Dr. 2-1B
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote

This was a very interesting post. Sorry to be a bother, but do you do this every year? I realize I've been away from this board for far too long, but it makes me want to start looking up all these official and unofficial robocop releases that I haven't heard about!

RB 674

RoboBadge
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP3 - L5

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote

We've done 'em for most years lately I think, though to be fair it's mainly because only recently have we actually had years with enough RoboCop news, awesomeness and/or coolness to even mention. When we do, hard not to go over and bask in it methinks. Smile

RB 52120

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun UC-M21 robocop3-gunarm remake-gun
JimWantsAliens
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote

Dr. 2-1B :
This was a very interesting post. Sorry to be a bother, but do you do this every year? I realize I've been away from this board for far too long, but it makes me want to start looking up all these official and unofficial robocop releases that I haven't heard about!

This is the third consecutive year of doing a Year End review-y thing. The intention is to do it every year now whilst there's enough stuff to warrant it. If the official merch stops completely, you might get a Top 10 of t-shirt design! But the reboot has been good for getting awareness of the character out there again.

Will definitely have to try and track that flask down online.

RB 2145

Johan
The Goose That Laid The Golden Melon

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Great list and summery. Always a highlight during the new year. Smile

I would say that it's been a pretty mediocre Robo year. I have high hopes for something a little more meaty in 2017.

RB 6502

auto9 remake-gun sunblock5000 robocop-figure4 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop sprite-robocop1 masters-trapjaw
JimWantsAliens
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote

Johan :
Great list and summery. Always a highlight during the new year. Smile

I would say that it's been a pretty mediocre Robo year. I have high hopes for something a little more meaty in 2017.

The quiet before the 30th anniversary storm. Bring it on Smile

RB 2145

RoboPimp

DC-L5

Comment: "Ain't nothin' like pimpin'" - Too $hort

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote

Great list, if not the greatest year for Robo. No much in the way of new content, as most of the things on this list are re-hashes or new versions of old things. Like most have said, however, with the 30th anniversary on the horizon there is likely to be a lot more next year. One thing that's nice to see is that, even after the remake, the original Robocop remains iconic. It seems like every year there are a handful of companies willing to pay for the license to create Robo figures and statues and stuff. That means that we are not the only ones buying this. Robocop is a popular commodity and 80's icon, so even if he isn't currently making headlines its nice to know he has his place in our culture.

http://bkjames.bandcamp.com/

RB 1950

robopimp-helmet comic5-robocop comic1-robocop comic4-robocop comic3-robocop comic2-robocop violin-guy
Johan
The Goose That Laid The Golden Melon

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
One thing that's nice to see is that, even after the remake, the original Robocop remains iconic.

I wonder if 2016 was the last year that products from the remake was released. We seem to be back to Robo being associated solely with the classic suit.

RB 6502

auto9 remake-gun sunblock5000 robocop-figure4 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop sprite-robocop1 masters-trapjaw
JimWantsAliens
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Great list, if not the greatest year for Robo. No much in the way of new content, as most of the things on this list are re-hashes or new versions of old things. Like most have said, however, with the 30th anniversary on the horizon there is likely to be a lot more next year. One thing that's nice to see is that, even after the remake, the original Robocop remains iconic. It seems like every year there are a handful of companies willing to pay for the license to create Robo figures and statues and stuff. That means that we are not the only ones buying this. Robocop is a popular commodity and 80's icon, so even if he isn't currently making headlines its nice to know he has his place in our culture.

I won't lie, there was a point where I considered it might have be a Top 5, before the MOBA Legends game happened.

I think we all worry when something gets rebooted that it might somehow surpass or replace the original, but it never happens. Original Robo has a 27-year head start to resonate in the public consciousness. Even if the reboot had been more commercially successful, the phrase RoboCop would automatically bring to most people's mind the 1987 incarnation, certainly for the 80s & 90s generation.

And the character does seem to resonate, certainly in the UK. One of our most popular ongoing series EastEnders has mentioned RoboCop in passing over the last few years, as did the sitcom Man Down.

RB 2145

RoboPimp

DC-L5

Comment: "Ain't nothin' like pimpin'" - Too $hort

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote

Johan :
RoboPimp :
One thing that's nice to see is that, even after the remake, the original Robocop remains iconic.

I wonder if 2016 was the last year that products from the remake was released. We seem to be back to Robo being associated solely with the classic suit.

It seems to be headed back in that direction, though I'm sure we haven't see the last of the new designs yet. If the movie had been a total failure then maybe, but enough people seem to have at least mildly enjoyed it that there is a small percent of the population who sees that version of Robocop as THE Robocop. Thankfully, however, the reboot just seems to have brought more attention to the classic. Either people forgot how great it was or new fans went back and discovered it anew. So we should be thankful for the reboot because it has seemed to firmly establish that the original Robocop is the one worth cementing into history, hopefully literally with the statue in Detroit. Right now we just have to wait and hope that they don't make a sequel to the reboot which would make the current designs more relevant. But at this point it is seeming more and more likely that the next big Robocop TV/movie with original content will feature the classic design, if not the classic characters.

http://bkjames.bandcamp.com/

RB 1950

robopimp-helmet comic5-robocop comic1-robocop comic4-robocop comic3-robocop comic2-robocop violin-guy
JimWantsAliens
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Right now we just have to wait and hope that they don't make a sequel to the reboot which would make the current designs more relevant. But at this point it is seeming more and more likely that the next big Robocop TV/movie with original content will feature the classic design, if not the classic characters.

I'd rather there were a couple of sequels because I think there won't be another reboot for a while yet. Even if there was a new trilogy, it wouldn't make the original trilogy less iconic. Anyway, I always imagined a sequel would begin with the new silver suit and then they'd refine/upgrade it onto the Bottin suit.

RB 2145

Judge Black
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Right now we just have to wait and hope that they don't make a sequel to the reboot which would make the current designs more relevant. But at this point it is seeming more and more likely that the next big Robocop TV/movie with original content will feature the classic design, if not the classic characters.

We'll see how the 35 years later Blade Runner sequel fares with the critics and box-office this year as it may influence things but a direct sequel to the original RoboCop with the original creators on-board is the only avenue I can see future RocoCop incarnations gaining any favour. Politically the time seems more fitting.

RB 84

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard