New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop's Genre: The POLL

What GENRE does Paul Verhoeven's 1987 Robocop fit into the most?
Action/Adventure
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Science Fiction
78%
 78%  [ 15 ]
Comedy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Western
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Drama
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Horror
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 19

Dr. 2-1B
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote

With Artiditu's insightful post/thread "Is Robocop a Western?" I kept thinking about which genre does the film embody the most?

I know that everyone on this board (including myself) would argue that it does NOT embody one particular genre, but rather all of them....which is why we think the film is utterly genius.

Regardless, I'm not sure what type of traffic this site gets, but I figured I'd create a poll asking you members what genre you would choose - if YOU HAD TO CHOOSE ONLY ONE. Thus, I think you would choose the genre you most associate the film on a personal level. I'm intrigued by the results.

Please Vote above:

And by the way, please do not make fun of me or this post for trying this. I just thought it would be fun!

RB 684

RoboBadge
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote

Because I've been mentioned, I have to clarify that my question was not "is it a western" but "how much of a western it is?" And my intention was just to explore the limits of Robo's hybrid genres, focusing only in the western influences, which I think have been stated by some critics but maybe overlooked by us fans.

To me it is above all an action/sci-fi film, typical combination of the 80's (Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Running Man, etc.). I would never say it is a western because it just doesn't take place in the Far West, no matter if I believe a big chunk of its structure works internally as a western. For example, "The Avengers" works internally as an sports movie, it is the story of a bunch of characters with dissonant personalities that need to learn teamwork to win the game. But I would never put "The Avengers" in the sports section of a video store.

Anyway, I admit the list you include for Robo is very interesting.

Horror borrowings deserve to be explored deeper. Murphy's torture and death has an horror feeling to it, Emil's disgusting death too. Even the moment when Murphy breaks a wall from behind to surprise the city hall terrorist could be taken from a horror movie (although because we root for Murphy we don't feel scared, but the character does). We also know Verhoeven took inspiration from Frankenstein and the Golem for Robocop, although the intended effect is more artistic and lyrical than scary. But there is also a bit of body horror element when Murphy takes off his helmet and unveils what they've done to his face and skull.

The drama is strongly tied to the Murphy's personal loss of his family, the lost paradise theme. There is also a dramatic sadness when he is beaten by the police in OCP's parking, which I've always seen as another Jesus metaphor (the passion and carrying of the cross).

The comedy is probably the most explored influence by critics and fans, we have been for long time very aware of the satirical nature of the TV spots, news and shows (I'll buy that for a dollar), the corporation sharks, and the black humor with exaggerated and brutal violence involving robots killing humans (or shooting at the dongs of rapists...).

What's interesting for me is how Verhoeven knew exactly how to dose each genre, there is no comedy with Murphy's journey to recover his soul and identity, Murphy's character is treated dramatically and with respect, despite surrounding his story with comedy or black humor, the film is able to evoke emotions and drama through Murphy and the audience feel his loss and struggle to reborn.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote

I would of course say Robo has humor in it for sure - though of a darker and more vicious sort - as well as the satire which is prominent, but even with that I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'comedy' as such. Ditto in regards to the western and horror options. Drama as well isn't too high there, though I think it inches slightly above the rest of the aforementioned, essentially for reasons artu stated - the overall tragedy of the Robo/Murphy character and his situation, the 'paradise lost'.

Anyway though, not majorly drama, western, horror, or comedy.. Which leaves sci-fi and action-adventure.. The adventure aspect is strong, though admittedly I tie that in somewhat with the drama of it as well, Murphy's journey of rediscovery and revenge and all that. Action, sure, though as we've discussed and noted before Robo isn't exactly that heavy in terms of raw action. Seems like it would be moreso but, not. Sci-fi seems fairly strong also though, though interestingly rather like pure action there isn't really much pure 'sci-fi' in the film either. No lasers, flying cars, etc. The successful cyborg aspect of RoboCop himself and what that entails aside Robo is quite grounded tech-wise; in terms of all else it could easily take place now, if not years ago I'd say.

As I've said before, and as artu mentions here, it's really a wonderful and unique blend of practically all these genres that all work so brilliantly together. I definitely credit Verhoeven and co. for indeed being able to find the right levels for all and make that fantastic balance, with it definitely coming up with something that is very much 'whole is great than the sum of the parts'.

To the vote though.. It's tough, I think Action/Adventure and Sci-Fi both are the strongest ones. I'd use both, with a note about the satire (As Neumeier said "It's a social satire.. a social satire masquerading as an action picture." ) Not sure I could narrow it down to only one or the other right now.. I'd probably have to go for Action/Adventure between the two - just barely mind you. Then again, maybe not. Bah.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Action, sure, though as we've discussed and noted before Robo isn't exactly that heavy in terms of raw action.

I actually think it has a good amount of raw action, even for today standards. I would like to hear more about Robo not being heavy in action, to see if I change my perception.

The Adventure label I don't see it at all applied for Robo. Maybe because I have a classical concept of adventure, like Treasure Island or King Solomon's Mines, with characters visiting exotic and unknown places to them, and having swashbuckling, surviving the elements or Indiana Jones kind of action scenes.

Quote:
Sci-fi seems fairly strong also though, though interestingly rather like pure action there isn't really much pure 'sci-fi' in the film either. No lasers, flying cars, etc. The successful cyborg aspect of RoboCop himself and what that entails aside Robo is quite grounded tech-wise; in terms of all else it could easily take place now, if not years ago I'd say.

The sci-fi tech is almost reduced to ED-209 and Robo. And the case of Robo's technology has been long debated in these forums. Achieving something like Robo feels like a huge leap in technology and scientific knowledge (robotics, AI, neuroscience, etc.) that is not reflected in the rest of the world which looked like 80's/90's (obviously for budget reasons).

Very far from being a hard sci-fi film, it falls more into the dystopian/social sci-fi subgenre, an idea involving a specific piece of technology (having robots for security purposes, merging human and machine) pushed to the extreme and its social implications played around with. Plus all the heavy political elements with private corporations running public services, police strikes, etc. which is the social satire Neumeier likes to stress.

Quote:
'whole is great than the sum of the parts'.

Absolutely, best way to describe it Smile

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
The Adventure label I don't see it at all applied for Robo. Maybe because I have a classical concept of adventure, like Treasure Island or King Solomon's Mines, with characters visiting exotic and unknown places to them, and having swashbuckling, surviving the elements or Indiana Jones kind of action scenes.

Admittedly I might have given it a bit more as it was wrapped with the action option. Still though, I feel there is some, just it's more an emotional and spiritual journey rather than literal with real travel and whatnot.

artuditu :
Stan The Man :
Action, sure, though as we've discussed and noted before Robo isn't exactly that heavy in terms of raw action.

I actually think it has a good amount of raw action, even for today standards. I would like to hear more about Robo not being heavy in action, to see if I change my perception.

Well, it's tough to say in a sense. You get the van chase, the sequence of Robo's first outing, meeting Emil, the drug factory shootout, first ED fight, the cop surround and betrayal (more drama there as you say, but still), and steel mill sequence. Along with some more bits. Sounds like a fair amount, but in terms of runtime, not much, I think it was once clocked at something like 20-odd minutes. Need to find where this came up - IIRC it was part of another point on the remake, how it was purported as having a good bit of action but had relatively little itself when you check it, even less than the original by comparison I think. Anyway, I more see it as part of the balance of the whole thing, it's not so much action but plenty enough, and that works well as is. And while it may not actually be as heavy, it feels more so, same as the sci-fi. Which brings us to -

artu :
Me :
Sci-fi seems fairly strong also though, though interestingly rather like pure action there isn't really much pure 'sci-fi' in the film either. No lasers, flying cars, etc. The successful cyborg aspect of RoboCop himself and what that entails aside Robo is quite grounded tech-wise; in terms of all else it could easily take place now, if not years ago I'd say.

The sci-fi tech is almost reduced to ED-209 and Robo. And the case of Robo's technology has been long debated in these forums. Achieving something like Robo feels like a huge leap in technology and scientific knowledge (robotics, AI, neuroscience, etc.) that is not reflected in the rest of the world which looked like 80's/90's (obviously for budget reasons).

Very far from being a hard sci-fi film, it falls more into the dystopian/social sci-fi subgenre, an idea involving a specific piece of technology (having robots for security purposes, merging human and machine) pushed to the extreme and its social implications played around with. Plus all the heavy political elements with private corporations running public services, police strikes, etc. which is the social satire Neumeier likes to stress.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Wink

And with that, I might now swing back more to Sci-Fi as the topmost, if still only marginally so. Honestly I don't like to classify Robo so simply and think it a bit silly to try and do so, but eh, whatever. It's good to yak about for sure. Smile

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote

Well, I just want to chime in about one thing here. I am a senior creative writing major, and my impression after taking many, many classes about writing and literature is that Science Fiction and Western, as well as things like Fantasy and Period, are more than genres. They indicate specific settings. So you can have a drama or a comedy in a Western, but in either case you know it going to take place in the wild west. Same goes for sci-fi, there is everything from huge sweeping epics to light sitcoms that all are sci-fi because they take place in the future and typically have theoretical technology. This can mean warp drives and alien planets or it could be in the more Robocop and Terminator style, limited to Earth but still showing future tech.

So, the argument for what genre Robocop is still rages. Is it a biting satire or an 80's action flick. Its both, and I would be conflicted choosing one over the other. However, because it takes place in the future and the protagonist is literary a piece of theoretically technology, I have no hesitation in classifying Robocop definitively as science fiction. However, that is only becase my impression that the label of sci-fi supersedes most of the others on the list. There is comedy, there is drama, there is plenty of action and some of it is so violent it could be considered horrific, but it all takes place in the future so that's why I chose science fiction.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote

I personally can't bring myself to label it as any kind of film from a singular genre, although it has elements from most of them. What I'm about to say is going to sound pretty ridiculous and nerdy, but...I regard very few films in my experience as pure masterpieces, but RoboCop is one of them. It was executed on such a self-aware and fully-realized fashion that it's simply a perfect film...and precisely for the very reasons why I can't nail it down as any particular kind of film, although it definitely leans the most towards a sci-fi/action-adventure film, as others have already stated.

RB 1633

ultra4
Dr. 2-1B
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote

I'm the jerk who voted for "drama."

And no, this thread/poll wasn't merely a ploy for me to voice that vote. But I'll say this: I think genre is so difficult to label (for most people) because it is heavily defined by what a person is "looking for" in a film. Whether that be consciously or subconsciously.

To me, I only fall in love with movies that explore the "human condition." That is what I define as art. And every film that truly does that (imo) is brilliant.

Robocop has been one of my fav films since I first saw it in 1987. I think the tone/theme of man vs technology resonated with me even back then as an 11 year old.

I see and label this film "drama" because of the main crux of Murphy AS WELL AS the viewers struggling to define what humanity is throughout the film. The action is a side story for me. The fact that it takes place in the near future and involves cyborgs is irrelevant to me.

Conversations like this and with people like you guys is exactly why I came back to this board. Thanks again....

And Thanks to all of those who voted!

RB 684

RoboBadge
razgriz21
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote

I went for the obvious and that obvious is science fiction.

The technology is probable and the themes becoming more true everyday (corporate influence, militaristic police).

It has action and humor but it comes naturally but not excessive.

RB 283

toaster baby-food game-xbox
Fummelcop
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Comment: There will be trouble!

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote

There is one genre you forgot to mention. Unfortunately that is the only genre that fits RoboCop.

That genre is: EPIC Very Happy

RB 787

game-xbox
Ryou Win
L-L1

L-L1

Comment: Brazillian RoboCop Fan and M.u.g.e.n. maker. Last Updates: NeuroBrain ver.04,09,2019 for M.U.G.E.N.

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote

. Back when I was a kid, RoboCop was described like "Crime / Science Fiction" in the VHS stores.
. But I like the "Western" idea! If Murphy donīt spins the gun, the second option is Smoke Barrel Blowout or using the handgun arm to lift up his "hat".

RB 1361

cake
Steve Freeling
Patriarch of the Freeling clan

O-L2

Comment: Let's give him what he wants.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote

I'd say it's an action/crime/sci-fi hybrid. With some dark humor going on, of course.

RB 237

game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard