RegisterRegister  PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Post everything that you watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271, 272  Next

WeKilledYou
DIRECTIVE 249 Don't be oversensitive to the hostility and negativity of others

L-L4

Comment: I know you. You're dead!

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote

I've decided to keep a log of all the movies I watch, and rate them on a 1-10 scale. So far I've watched 38 movies. I have no life.

CREDITS 18

RoboCain-v2 nuke-red-ramrod nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder nuke-blue-velvet ED-209-2013
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP3 - L5

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote

^ I'm sure I could give you a run for your money on the 'no life' part.

Watched R1 with a good bud the Friday night-before-last, I of course still love it, and of course he very much enjoyed it. We also caught R2, I'm still about the same on it, he liked it alright. Hadn't seen either properly in a while. We couldn't manage to keep going enough for R3. We had went out prior to watching the films so we were spent by the time the second was done. That and admittedly not like I made a lot of effort to go for all three. tongue He did say the more he watched the original the more he despised the remake, so there.

Speaking of reboots, finally got around to checking the remake Karate Kid.. It's actually not too bad really. Otherwise, little sis got the latest Jason Bourne on Redbox the other day so I checked that. I think TLJ was phoning it in quite a bit but otherwise quite alright.

Also watched/re-watched some documentaries, a particular one of note is 'Burn' since it's back up on Netflix, one of my faves actually. About firefighters in Detroit just before the city declared bankruptcy. Really good.

Otherwise, well, not much else lately - Still quite a bit of series watching I've wanted to do but.. haven't. Bah.

CREDITS 1503

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun UC-M21 robocop3-gunarm remake-gun
Dr. 2-1B
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote

WeKilledYou :
I've decided to keep a log of all the movies I watch, and rate them on a 1-10 scale. So far I've watched 38 movies. I have no life.

38 movies only recently? Or 38 movies in your life?

CREDITS 43

RoboBadge
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP3 - L5

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Dr. 2-1B :
WeKilledYou :

38 movies only recently? Or 38 movies in your life?

I'd have to say recently - 38 is a small number for a lifetime count even for someone who doesn't watch movies.

That said, the list?

CREDITS 1503

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote

So, what did I catch recently...

besides the occasional cool stuff on TV - "Beverly Hills Cop", "RoboCop 3", Raimi's "Spider-Man", some that stand out are:

- "K-20: Legend of the Mask" - a pretty cool Japanese movie, taking place in a fictional 1940s Japan. Really nice art-deco and slightly steam-punkish designs and an enjoyable story. It felt kind of like a mix between "Belphegor", "The Shadow" and "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

- "The Lego Batman Movie" - it was awesome. It had laughs, it had a LOT of references and respect towards the character's legacy and it also had an emotional and touching side. Definitely much better than DCs latest live-action outings. Doesn't have much in common with the overall world and idea of "The Lego Movie", so do not expect for a lot of that movie's ideas to carry over.

- "Special Rescue Police Winspector" (Tokkei Winspector) - yet another awesome Japanese show from the early 90s. Unlike Kamen Rider and Super Sentai though, here there isn't a major bad-guy that is fought throughout the entire series. It's more of a crime/police show with cool suits thrown in at the end of each episode.

CREDITS 2078

ultra2 ultra4 TMNT Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3
RoboFan_93

OCP1 - L1

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote

So I just rewatched "Batman Forever" - I've been feeling like seeing it for some time now...

It's weird, the more I watch it, the more I enjoy it! Which is kind of baffling to me. I thought I would've enjoyed it much more as a kid - I watched the 1989-1997 anthology on a weekly to montly basis as a child, had some of the Kenner toys, would hum the Goldenthal theme all the time (even more so than the Elfman one)... yet I didn't like it as much as "Batman Returns".

And now it seems to be the other way around. Don't get me wrong, I still really like "Batman Returns" as well, but it's just plain nasty and depressing at times.

On the other hand, "Batman Forever" has some quite neat action sequences, the visual style is underappreciated, the Batsuit is damn awesome (even if the Batmobile isn't) and even some of the cheesier sequences (like Gordon going "Go, Go!" at the Batplane) are just too cool. The villains is where it falls short for me, especially Two-Face. It's a very comic-booky movie! It feels like a serious film, yet isn't afraid to embrace wackiness. Frankly, if it came out today, I think people wouldn't be as critical of it as they are now in retrospect. I'd love to see a Director's Cut someday (though I highly doubt we'll ever get anything more than the Deleted Scenes on the Special Edition) and would've been interesting to see a proper sequel in the same style.

The whole "Batman Returns" and "Batman Forever" thing seems to also reflect my changing opinions of "RoboCop 2" and "RoboCop 3".

CREDITS 2078

RoboFan_93

OCP1 - L1

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote

THE WAIT IS OVER!!

I finally saw "Power Rangers" (2017) two nights ago (it premiered here April 7th)

My love for the franchise is no secret. It's also no secret how worried I was when they said they were rebooting it. "Well, at least I'll still have the TV show", I thought. But guess what? Turns out the movie reboot is actually really really good!

Minor spoilers follow, but do not read if you want to go in the movie completely surprised:

First off, if you're familiar with the series, do not expect the same thing. This isn't a superhero movie as much as it's a "teenagers with attitude" movie. Teens with problems, fears and mistakes of the past they have to overcome or live with. Take away the aliens and the suits and it's as much of a remake of "The Breakfast Club" as it is of "Power Rangers". And even though you'd have to wait until the third act to see them, rest assured, the multi-coloured suits and the mighty Megazord are in the movie.

The screenplay is not a direct re-telling of "Day of the Dumpster", but borrows a lot from the decade-spanning history of the franchise (that's right, THE FRANCHISE, not just MMPR) and provides a new take on the Ranger universe. Of course, the ethnic variety is still present, however they managed to sneak some other stuff in too, which is a first for the series and I applaud them not for including that, but for including it properly and not in an "in-your-face" way. It felt genuine and appropriate.

As for the hardcore fans - there's plenty of references, classic lines and the awesome "Go Go Power Rangers" theme (and HOLY CRAP the theme is in the movie itself, not in the credits!!)

Is it a perfect movie though? No, not by a long shot. A lot of people will be pissed off at the product placement. It didn't bother me. A lot more disappointing were Rita Repulsa and Goldar - I was not really a fan of how they were handled. Megazord's design is far from perfect too, though it actually makes sense because of something said in the movie (and from what I hear, expanded upon in the novelization). I wish there was a bit longer ground fight, before they got to the Zords, but I was pleased with what little there was of it.

Bottom line is, if you expected this to be Bayformers levels of bad - it's not! It has depth, it has values and emotion and puts the mindless CG action on top of that. I went out the theatre with a huge smile on my face and I couldn't ask for more. Go Go Power Rangers!

CREDITS 2078

AlexMurphy
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote

The new Power Rangers movie. It was good. A lot more character development in then the show. Didn't like the megazord design though, looked very generic. Suits were cool, though the helmets aren't as distinct as the original (you could just vaguely tell the dinosaur/animal they're based on).

Koryu Sentai Zyuranger. The super sentai Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was based on. Rewatching it again. Good series. Dairanger next.

Imperium (AKA Harry Potter and the Neo Nazis). It was ok. Acting was decent, but didn't feel like there was a whole lot of danger for Radcliffe's character.

CREDITS 409

a-team Rambo-Knife game-xbox
RoboFan_93

OCP1 - L1

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote

I saw DaiRanger last year, it was soooooooo good!

And yes, I agree on the Megazord design - both him and Goldar were disappointing, but I am happy that there was a reason for their similarity, since that's something that was noticeable even from the toys.

CREDITS 2078

NOF
R-L4

R-L4

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote

Elle - Paul Verhoeven

A dark, unsettling and funny movie. The sheer mundanity of the setting with the subject matter makes it all the more unsettling. Huppert holds the film together in such compelling fashion.

CREDITS 0

comic2-robocop
b26354
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
So I just rewatched "Batman Forever" - I've been feeling like seeing it for some time now...

It's weird, the more I watch it, the more I enjoy it! Which is kind of baffling to me. I thought I would've enjoyed it much more as a kid - I watched the 1989-1997 anthology on a weekly to montly basis as a child, had some of the Kenner toys, would hum the Goldenthal theme all the time (even more so than the Elfman one)... yet I didn't like it as much as "Batman Returns".

And now it seems to be the other way around. Don't get me wrong, I still really like "Batman Returns" as well, but it's just plain nasty and depressing at times.

On the other hand, "Batman Forever" has some quite neat action sequences, the visual style is underappreciated, the Batsuit is damn awesome (even if the Batmobile isn't) and even some of the cheesier sequences (like Gordon going "Go, Go!" at the Batplane) are just too cool. The villains is where it falls short for me, especially Two-Face. It's a very comic-booky movie! It feels like a serious film, yet isn't afraid to embrace wackiness. Frankly, if it came out today, I think people wouldn't be as critical of it as they are now in retrospect. I'd love to see a Director's Cut someday (though I highly doubt we'll ever get anything more than the Deleted Scenes on the Special Edition) and would've been interesting to see a proper sequel in the same style.

The whole "Batman Returns" and "Batman Forever" thing seems to also reflect my changing opinions of "RoboCop 2" and "RoboCop 3".

Batman Returns. Not a great Batman movie, but a good Tim Burton movie. Remember the days when a new Tim Burton movie was enough to get you excited to see it, regardless of what the film was? These days with stuff like Dark Shadows and the Frankenweenie remake, it seems to be the other way around.

Anyway, BR is easily one of my favorite Batman films. Forever is also a fun one. Cheesy, but the design is terrific.

CREDITS 32

RoboFan_93

OCP1 - L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote

I wrapped up "RoboTech" today. Got the DVDs on clearance some years ago and thought it was finally time to give it a watch. It's a pretty good series and they actually connected 3 totally unrelated anime shows quite well. The "RoboTech II: The Sentinels" movie was also quite decent. Still, it does go on for a bit too long, especially since the first series - Macross is easily the best of the bunch in terms of story. The second half was mostly quite boring and the New Generation had great designs, but ended a bit anticlimactic.

Still, I can see why it has a cult following and I definitely enjoyed it.

CREDITS 2078

RoboPimp

DC-L5

Comment: "Ain't nothin' like pimpin'" - Too $hort

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote

No Twins Peaks fans here? I recently rewatched the old show before checking out the 4 part premiere of the new season. While I have mixed feelings on this new stuff one thing that is indisputable is Miguel Ferrer's performance. His cold and emotionless performance steals the screen in every episode he appears in for both versions. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the rest of this season and I think it will serve as a very high note to go out on.

I have also been watching a lot of Star Trek over the past couple years. Aside from Miguel Ferrer, Peter Weller and Kurtwood Smith have some pretty awesome appearances. Definitely looking forward to the new Star Trek show too.

http://bkjames.bandcamp.com/

CREDITS 79

robopimp-helmet comic5-robocop comic1-robocop comic4-robocop comic3-robocop comic2-robocop violin-guy
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP3 - L5

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
No Twins Peaks fans here? I recently rewatched the old show before checking out the 4 part premiere of the new season. While I have mixed feelings on this new stuff one thing that is indisputable is Miguel Ferrer's performance. His cold and emotionless performance steals the screen in every episode he appears in for both versions. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the rest of this season and I think it will serve as a very high note to go out on.

I have also been watching a lot of Star Trek over the past couple years. Aside from Miguel Ferrer, Peter Weller and Kurtwood Smith have some pretty awesome appearances. Definitely looking forward to the new Star Trek show too.

I agree about Star Trek, they are among some excellent guest cast performances. New show also does look fairly good to me.

As for Twin Peaks, plan to binge the original series proper shortly before going into the new series also. Though not really surprising I am still glad to hear of Ferrer's performance in the new.. I agree sounds like he went on a high note.

b26354 :
RoboFan_93 :

Batman Returns. Not a great Batman movie, but a good Tim Burton movie. Remember the days when a new Tim Burton movie was enough to get you excited to see it, regardless of what the film was? These days with stuff like Dark Shadows and the Frankenweenie remake, it seems to be the other way around.

Anyway, BR is easily one of my favorite Batman films. Forever is also a fun one. Cheesy, but the design is terrific.

HBO actually has all the set of Batman live films (89, Returns, Forever, and B&R), been slowly going over them, about to hit up Forever next. I'm not sure my opinion of Forever will improve though. I still rather like some elements in it but I also still think it leans a bit too cheesy and goofy while also trying to be serious at the same time, and still suffers for it. It's not a bad film, just not all that good for me. Perhaps I might warm a bit, we'll see.

That said, after re-watching Returns I agree with it being a bit too nasty and silly as well. I think it laid the path for Forever and B&R more than once was thought. It seems I have come full-circle back to what I had thought before about it,- Though Keaton is still awesome and there are other good bits, it's just a bit too much Tim Burton in there. Which really clashes with the whole 'Batman' part of it. The more regulated original I think still works better there. As B26354 said, Returns it's a fine Tim Burton film, but it's outclassed by '89 as a Batman piece.

Finally, aside from the mentioned Batmans, been going over some classic cult-y pieces on HBO - Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead, Manhunter, and They Live. Also caught some Deadwood with my old man that he binge-watched after he got through Game of Thrones. (the shame.. Rolling Eyes )

CREDITS 1503

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 269, 270, 271, 272  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard