New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

R2 NES Appreciation Thread

NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote

I loved this game, still do and love the fact that it is quite difficult to beat.

I'd compare it to the first Batman game on NES, that was punishing but utterly replayable.

There, I said it. I feel better now.

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote

We've had a few topics on R2 - feel free to check those out.

And while it's certainly not among the worst movie-to-NES games, it certainly is far from being the masterpiece that is Sunsoft's Batman and I feel that it's the weakest in the NES RoboCop Trilogy (not counting the unreleased RvsT).

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote

Can't agree with it being the weakest of the 3 NES ones. The first one wins that title hands down. R3 is ok, but a bit dull.

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
b26354
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Agreed, its the weakest of the 3 NES RoboCop games, but not awful.

Always loved 3 the most. DAT MUSIC

RB 16

RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote

R2 is a challenging but fun game. I think its better than R3 but not as good as R1. The graphics were superior to both R1 and R3 but the "ice skating" walk physics was annoying.

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote

You people are nuts. R2 NES is horrible. Some call it 'challenging' - I call it 'relentless'.

Granted, it ain't the worst game I've ever played by a decent margin. But in fairness, that ain't saying too much.

Ok, it does have patterns to everything which help, but that makes it less fun and more tedious to me. Especially with the shit-sliding and massively bright garish-ass pastel colors you have to contend with.

All-told, R2 is the weakest of the NES games for sure. And is awful. R1 is almost as bad but at least has a sort of charm to it that R2 lacks. Probably the music. That and not nearly as much as an assault on your eyesight. R3 is top most definitely, a bit dull in spots I will concede, but looks fair, is actually fun and again it also has the music which in its case is awesome. My main complaint with it is that I wish it was longer.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Robo2 is an impossible game for me to complete. I'm terrible at it. I've only ever reached level 2 but after that the frustration is too much.

A lot of the difficulty is in the controls as Robo just glides all around the place. It's not fun. I love the art though. The title screen is amazing.

I think that all the Robo NES games are too difficult to be really fun to casually play. It really takes a lot of training and effort to complete them, which can be good or bad depending on your preference. I have only completed the first Robo1 and that was no picnic. The whole time/energy thing that's constantly ticking down is bullshit.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote

I played it a lot when I was a kid because my cousin owned it. I have some sympathy for it, but it definitely was too difficult.

The "ice skating" thing just makes no sense, why would Robo glide at all when walking? But the stupidest thing is how much "precision jumping" is involved, falling to the water/void/whatever all the time because of the gliding. I remember that being the hardest and most frustrating aspect of the game, why would you combine gliding and jumping in a game where you control RoboCop? ...

If I really wanted to enjoy some Robo-fun I would go for the Arcade games, or RvsT. As much as I love Robo there are many other interesting things to do before beating NES' R2 tongue1

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Like Archive said, the artwork in the cutscenes and the title screen is top-notch though. Unlike the ending...

One thing I can say I honestly liked in the game were the Shooting Range segments - greatly improved from those in the original game and reminiscent of the "Photographing" sections in the NES "Darkman" game (which seems to use the same engine as R2).

One thing about R2 is that even after all these years and beating it multiple times I still don't think I've found all the secret areas. Heck, it took me 15 years to find the ones in R3, so Very Happy

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Games & Comics All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard