New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

James Cameron Terminator Remake

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/terminator/james-cameron-to-reboot-terminator-franchise-deadpool-helmer-a148340

Quote:
The rights to the Terminator franchise were always going to return to James Cameron in 2019, hence why Paramount were looking to rush out a new trilogy beginning with 2015's Terminator Genisys. Now, with the clock ticking, Deadline reports that the Avatar director is looking to take a new crack at the property with Deadpool helmer and VFX expert Tim Miller reportedly set to direct the new movie.

Skydance's David Ellison is paying for what the trade calls "an exploratory effort that includes engaging some top-flight science fiction authors to find the movie creatively" and they have a breakdown of how things work with the rights which are well worth taking a look at by clicking below.

There's no word on whether this movie would be a total reboot or somehow continue the story started back in 1984, but bringing back Arnold Schwarzenegger and delving into some of the original characters didn't work out at all well for Terminator Genisys. Cameron bizarrely had nothing but good things to say about that ahead of its release, but his return is definitely exciting. What do you think?

And here we go again...

How many reboots and remakes do we need in this world?

I wish they would just keep replaying the old classics.

Though am interestred to know what you thnk to this news? Is it actually exciting to have James Cameron returning to the franchise?

CREDITS 746

Ed-260
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote

I might talk on this a bit more but short and blunt answer.. Not particularly.

His questionable praise of Genisys and other crap aside, continuing to beat on a dead horse just ain't fun, doesn't matter who's doing it.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
His questionable praise of Genisys and other crap aside

It was a paid endorsement obviously, but I agree it is questionable, he was used like a quality brand to endorse a nauseating product... Hence you finish questioning his brand... It was not nice.

About the Terminator as a franchise, I still think it has potential, but it needs a fresh take, leaving behind what has already been done so many times, getting away from the original arc (Sarah and John Connor, Arnold...), because recycling the same kind of story with generic action is not gonna work (T3, T5).

Terminator Salvation was an interesting experiment, even if I have a better opinion of it after comparing it to T3 and T:Genysis, the future war is not so interesting either, at least in the way they depicted it. Apocalyptic worlds are a recurrent thing nowadays and tend to be more successful with zombies and/or humans killing each other (Mad Max).

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
Terminator Salvation was an interesting experiment

Canīt understand the Salvation hate; at least it tried to bring something "new" for the franchise.

As for the new movie with Cameron, not excited about it. Heīd be involved as producer, and heīs not a "big name" to me anymore (Avatar wasnīt good, and it seems he still wants to do thousands of sequels to that Blue Man Group films).

CREDITS 102

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
Terminator Salvation was an interesting experiment, even if I have a better opinion of it after comparing it to T3 and T:Genysis, the future war is not so interesting either, at least in the way they depicted it. Apocalyptic worlds are a recurrent thing nowadays and tend to be more successful with zombies and/or humans killing each other (Mad Max).

I'll give ya that, yeah. Rather like RemakeCop I won't go so far as to say I hate Salvation but will say it kinda blew, though Chanood said it at least it tried something a bit different. Unfortunately that really wasn't what anybody wanted, myself included. After having been shown the future war quite clearly in previous installments I'm pretty sure Termy fans were gearing up to have a feature-length showing of that, and when that didn't happen.. yeah.

The series was a bit interesting in a way, playing with alternate timelines and all that. It could have been something itself if it didn't plow right into cornball TV shit right away. Ultimately though unlike Robo, I don't think Terminator can really work in that format anyway.

I get it to have some shake-up - I wouldn't have minded more of a blend of the future war as we saw it and some of what we got in Salvation. I still wouldn't mind that now, though after what we got from Salvation and especially now after the clusterfuck that was Genisys.. I don't see how that could be worked out without massively re-tooling the whole damn franchise, and I'm afraid by that point it will completely lose what little resemblance it has to Terminator (as any of us know it) left. All-told, I really wish they went to playing about in the future war a lot sooner - I had thought that being the path forward was made pretty clear after T2, then again I'm no film studio or production company mucky-muck.

This all before we get to what Chanood was mentioning about Cameron - He's really quite long in the tooth now I think, and in any case certainly seems more interested in Avatar than Terminator at this stage. I just don't think his presence will be a cure here as some might purport.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
AlexMurphy
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote

Edd 209 :
How many reboots and remakes do we need in this world?

Reboots/remakes have been happening for a LONG time. What's the harm if it can bring something new to table? The worst thing that can happen is the movie is bad. The original will be there.

In regards to Cameron returning though, I'm excited and cautious. On the on hand, I loved the movies he worked on in the 80s/90s. But his newer ones, not as much. So basically 50/50 with this. I'm hoping we at least return to an R rating again.

CREDITS 409

a-team Rambo-Knife game-xbox
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote

At this stage, I'm not concerned.

The franchise has been beaten into the ground by others with no care or consideration for what made the first two so compelling, so Cameron coming back in the frame as an executive producer won't make much of an impact.

Plus, with Schwarzenegger nearing 70, he looks more than a little ridiculous portraying the character.

CREDITS 0

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Yup I have no faith in the franchise anymore..Genisys was an idiotic train wreck!

CREDITS 1111

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote

NOF :
Plus, with Schwarzenegger nearing 70, he looks more than a little ridiculous portraying the character.

I say give Summer Glau a chance at the main movie Terminator! I enjoyed the direction SCC was going in.

vegasrobo :
Genisys was an idiotic train wreck!

Thank God I didn't see that then...

CREDITS 746

Ed-260
Mister Xiado
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote

The reason why poor remakes are so common now is that the far left that run Hollywood absolutely hate anyone intelligent enough to question the narrative du jour, and thus, interesting and original concepts get put in the round file.

CREDITS 15

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote

Mister Xiado :
The reason why poor remakes are so common now is that the far left that run Hollywood absolutely hate anyone intelligent enough to question the narrative du jour, and thus, interesting and original concepts get put in the round file.

Any example of interesting concepts put in the round file by the hard left?

Because in the 80's the best films like Robocop, Terminator, Blade Runner, First Blood or Platoon, were critical of patriotism, cold war militarism and corporate neoliberal capitalism represented by then president Reagan.

On the other hand, poor films that made positive propaganda of those themes, like Rambo 2 & 3 or Top Gun, are considered to be sub par nowadays.

Karate Kid, for example, was a film that celebrated diversity where a Japanese old man (whose wife died in an internment camp in the US) trained an Italo-American teenager to defend himself from the blond-haired and blue-eyed bullies trained by a militaristic fanatic and resentful Vietnam veteran.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote

Mister Xiado :

Bah.. sorry if I don't immediately buy the primary let alone sole reason we have no worth a damn film remakes is because of some hardline leftist agenda. This coming from someone who is himself considerably not left. :roll:

As artu sharply pointed out we've had plenty of great to excellent and even better films in the past with rather left-leaning themes and a Hollywood that I guarantee was hardly if at all more 'right' than it is now. So again I doubt that's the reason.

Maybe it's more that lazy-ass studios just can't even do a barely passable job at bastardizing old franchises these days outside of superhero properties - Relying heavily if not solely on fans and nostalgia and failing to realize that just doesn't really make up for what is otherwise a shit film. And to be blunt, most superhero/comic book films aren't really all that much better than these weak-kneed remakes, they're just a hell of a lot more popular right now.

Hollywood has been growing more creatively bankrupt over the years. They've drained the well dry of ideas and are solely out to get as many dollars as they can as they slowly but surely head toward extinction due to new forms of media and new ways of creating content. The only 'politics' of Hollywood I find relevant is the fact they remain as exploitative as ever and now that there are starting to be truly viable ways around that shit they're doubling down on their coming demise by taking easy routes and otherwise chumping where they can. Case in point right here, the big deal being made of having Cameron attached as if such an act alone can really amount to much of anything in regards to actually saving this franchise.. as several folks - including myself - previously pointed out.

In short, nice trolling.

CREDITS 2304

AceAlive1
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Comment: I am VERY disappointed!

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote

Mister Xiado :

your argument loses steam when we've had no less than 10 movies about slavery or nazi germany in the last decade.

CREDITS 127

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard