New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop dismantled
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Rob O'Coplin
"The Magic Man"

O-L4

Comment: I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
Rob O'Coplin :
................I still would have killed him.

I guess I'm more compassionate than Cain Laughing more of a "get the job done" kinda guy. Oh well, thanks for the input. Smile

Its a good thing that you don't think like a sadistic psycho man Wink

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

Weeeeeelllll, I would go that far... Twisted Evil

RB 210

game-xbox
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote

Watching R2 again, I honestly don't think there have been many films where the hero is subjected to such humiliating torture.

The power in this sequence is seeing Robocop's heroisms so easily dismissed. He walks in all guns blazing and just gets systematically torn apart by these bad guys who seem to know everything about where to hit him, and what weapons to use. Seeing him flung from the car, left in a catatonic state totally debunks the notion of the indestructible hero.

Add in the reprogramming sequence, and you get an action film which takes great pride in torturing it's audience.

The fact that the film doesn't elaborate on how this affects Murphy's psyche, for me, further fuels the sadistic nature of the scenes. In a way, I get the impression that Murphy would rather forget they happened, otherwise he would have to admit that he can be beaten.

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
chaos one
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote

That's the other thing is how they seemingly know exactly how to attack Robocop and with what weapons.

I assume in the cut scenes showing cain/angie talk to faxx that she does talk about planning such a thing? Is that where Angie gets the electro magnet? And the idea where to hit him/move him?

RB 856

game-xbox
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:51 am Reply with quote

I think so. Wasn't the initial plot that Cain would disable him, Faxx would reprogramme him in such a way that he'd be rendered obsolete by the arrival of Robocop 2?

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
chaos one
O-L3

O-L3

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote

I guess it could explain Cain not allowing them to kill him definitely

RB 856

game-xbox
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote

NOF :
Seeing him flung from the car, left in a catatonic state totally debunks the notion of the indestructible hero.

Interestingly as well, it follows the first movie with his visit to arrest Dick Jones and getting his ass kicked. It's as if in both movies he needs to reflect and get help from other cops (Lewis in R1, all the cops on strike in R2).

Could be a theme in Robo stories, that being an overconfident lone ranger ends up in disaster, he eventually needs an extra hand to defeat the villains.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Maxlee
C-L1

C-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote

If I reply here, does everyone hit their forehead with a slap of the hand in a "oh no not again" kind of thing, or whatever?

Because I *STILL* haven't made peace with this sequence of events.

I managed to trim my problems with it down to:

There is no justification, no reason at all, for RoboCop to survive himself being captured by his mortal enemies, and his subsequent crucification.

It doesn't matter what happened in drafts and early scripts and cut scenes.

It doesn't matter what Cain's goals and plans are.

RoboCop and Cain are enemies. RoboCop should be Detroit's #1 wanted man dead or alive with a bounty on his head in the billions of dollars.

When he's captured by his enemies, there's no reason whatsoever that he survives this, no matter what.

If RoboCop is captured by the badguys, and Lewis & friends don't rescue him, or if RoboCop can't escape himself by ways of secret gadgets, then it should be absolute game over.

The only thing that might help, is if the movie spends a lot of time on Cain who wishes to capture RoboCop in order to do something with him, like brainwashing him with new directives so that RoboCop becomes loyal to Cain or something.

Even then still you have the problem of the badguys capturing RoboCop and effectively being able to do anything you can imagine to RoboCop.

However, this is not the case. The moment RoboCop is captured is where his bounty should get into play, and he's either auctioned off to the highest bidder, or permanently removed from the face of the earth.

Once again, RoboCop surviving capture by the badguys who have the intention to destroy him, does not make any lick of sense.

And this still bothers me greatly.

RB 1560

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote

Don't sweat it Maxlee! I love talking Robocop 2! Keep in mind there are a lot of elements of classic heroes and villains in this movie. Perhaps the filmmakers were feeling nostalgic. As you mentioned, Robo walks into a trap and gets dismantled (interesting to point out, he was slick enough to avoid the car blowing up in the mine, but couldn't spot the sniper rifle that blew off his friggin' hand!). The villain explains his plan, and then drops him off where he can get away instead of killing him. Cain's gang could have threw his body down a mine shaft and that would have been the last anyone would see or hear of Robocop. But no, they give his parts back to the police where he can be fixed. They did everything but tie him to a railroad track in the path of an oncoming train!
This movie had a lot of great ideas: Faxx using psychology to interfere with computer programming influenced by a human soul, Cain's junkie gang of warriors fighting to keep the city a slave to their own drug business, the looming police strike actually happens (although they really downplayed it), OCP creating a Frankenstein's monster of a cyborg that happens to have Cain's evil brain! All these themes are awesome subplots for a Robocop movie, but they are all competing with each other for screen time.
I love the movie, don't get me wrong, but I would have love to see the writers take one of those ideas and see it through. I guess the closest we get is the Cain battle which brings the Robocop 2 story to an end. All the other stuff, Detroit going bankrupt, Faxx's psychological meddling getting undone, OCP avoiding taking the blame, police strike ending, all washed under the bridge.
Believe it or not, the last scene with Robo on duty is for me, a great and terrible scene. Its great comedy, but it really overturns the serious beginning of the movie and makes it a little silly. Sequels have a way of taking the serious tone of a movie and making it too light hearted.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote

Cain's nukeheads dropped Murphy in front of the precinct to send a strong signal to the cops, that he cannot be beaten.Cain is persuaded that he is stronger, that's why he also believed he would win again during the car chase.He wasn't interested by Murphy before he raids the nuke sweatshop, and was totally looking for revenge after being sent to the hospital.Cain didn't worship money, he just want to dominate everyone.

RB 1199

game-xbox
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote

I don't remember when i first viewed RoboCop2 if i found the dismantling scene shocking or disturbing, but at this point in time I'm kind of numb to it.
Robo has been blown up and cut up so many times in movies, tv shows and comic that I've gotten used to it.

As for the reason Cain leaves Robo alive. Well, I agree it does make little sense. Robo had gotten his helmet removed and Hob wanted to see his brain, so what happened? They just stopped?
As HOB888 said, they dropped Robo at the police station to send a strong signal. But that would have worked just as well if Robo was dead.

I see it as a typical arrogant thing most villains tend to do. Instead of just shooting the hero in the head and be done with it the villain always leave the hero for dead or assume he will die.
Of course Clarence didn't make that mistake in Robo1. He didn't mess around and actually kills the hero.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Maxlee
C-L1

C-L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote

The notion that RoboCop is tossed back to the cops because Cain thinks himself godlike and invincible is generally the agreed on consensus regarding these chain of events.

Personally, I have more peace with the idea that Cain and gang think RoboCop is in a dying state, and thought it fun that he'd die off completely surrounded by fellow cops and friends. This is atleast supported by the statement made by the police station's techie, that RoboCop can "go" any moment.

However, both of these notions support the idea that RoboCop survives on "luck" and because his mortal enemy acts "stupid". RoboCop has "luck" that the enemy that captured him was Cain. Were it Boddicker or some other foul being, RoboCop might have just got his head cut off and burried beneath concrete.

There's also a conflicting message with Cain saying "One of us must die" and Hob ofcourse who wants to see brains. When RoboCop screams with his face covered in oil, we feel this is the official end of RoboCop. When next he's tossed out on the street, he's sure enough in a horrible state, but I assume most of us had the feeling at that right moment "oh, he'll be repaired".

I sometimes lump this together with Duffy's evisceration and Cain's brain surgery: none of it is vital to the movie, and they only serve to frighten the audience.

RoboCop getting hit with a cobra cannon in the midst of a Nuke battle out on the streets would have accomplished the same thing. Duffy's arc was essentially over when he's beaten up by RoboCop, and brutally killing him with only Hob and Angie (who should already be Cain's most loyal henchmen) as audience serves no purpose. The brain extraction adds little to the movie, and a cool fade in fade out of Cain dying and lying still in the hospital bed, into his 3D face on the monitor asleep and then suddenly opening the eyes and starting to roar would have worked wonders.

Ofcourse, the many many cut scenes and tossed out script pages are mostly to blame for what we got. I believe that if everything was filmed according to plan and kept in the final product, the movie would have made sense, and even RoboCop's destructon at the hand of Cain would have had a proper place in the film.

However as the final film is, I just see no point to it. RoboCop strolls in, gets subsequently almost-killed, and is fully repaired 8 scenes later so we can laugh with his silly directives.

As one reviewer wrote over this film: R2 wants to convey virtually every emotion in the book: horror, laughter, disgust, comedy, angst, etc. It should have picked one and not flipflop between everything.

RB 1560

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote

Maxlee, you made a lot of good points. I especially liked the comment about Officer Duffy's evisceration. His character was good in the movie and he helped to put a realistic element of corruption fueled by the nuke epidemic. I really liked the first half of the movie with these real-life elements of crime in the big city. It reminded me of the first movie and seemed to be a natural transition.
Duffy's torture and murder is the end of the realistic side of the movie.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
Moon-Vixen
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote

Hello! SORRY for my english *^^*

I think you're right that R2 was a good movie only halfway. In general, I do not like the departure from the realism in this film and the exaggerated imagination of the creators.
Generally I liked it in R1 that the only one "overly unrealistic" is RoboCop, which made him more a realistic creation in this film (with the exception of scenes of creating RoboCop, they are fatal). His opponent did not have to be a second cyborg to be really dangerous and curious character.
Although the theme itself in R2 is good. Fighting with the drug gang, which has become a new and extremely dangerous threat, that the police have to face, police raid on drug factory, corruption and second RoboCop. I do not know exactly what I would change in this movie, I'm not a writer or director, but the movie should be made more realistic like R1, without unnecessary, weird motives with a small dose of black humor ("Thank you" spoken by Robo after the release of Dick is an exceptionally successful cruel joke).
And the motive for destroying RoboCop maybe should looks like that: Cain and his people catch and try going to destroy him, which was not easy, but they were prevented. But they have damaged him so much that it is no longer able to function, as it does in the film and requires expensive and risky repair. Thanks to that, we still have the theme of a cruel OCP that can fix him or maybe not, treat him as a mere thing they can do with whim what it pays the most. I also like the scenes in which Robo shows his feelings (joke about himself that he is a cyborg, scene with his wife) they are necessary, thanks to it we feel that it is still a man (in mega prosthesis =p ).

RB 65

tsimisde
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote

From my point of view, i find enough similarities between this torture scene and the torture scene from the first movie. Yes, the obvious ones, of course (eg. Right hand gets blown off on both scenes) but another thing comes in mind, Less obvious.

I think that Murphy's overconfident and "i got this" attitude, got him in a lot of trouble. On the first movie, even though he is warned that the things are dangerous and the crime rates are high, he doesn't give a s*it. He is overconfident, maybe a bit arrogant and he thinks that he is unbeatable and unstoppable but of course, more than one person, is more powerful than one. So, Murphy's kickass and this attitude, got him into Trouble because, he feels really sure that he will win in the end but, karma is a bitch and punishes him everytime he feels overpowered, underestimating his opponents.

RB 30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard