New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Frank Miller's RoboCop TPB Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote

Nver had a chance top read it plus after readin enormous criticism all over the net from critics I wasnt in a rush to pick it up. In addition to all that, Not much of a Frank Miller fan, hated The Dark Knight Returns and think that Miller relies too much on shocking twists and ideas rather than a good story that would satisfy the fans of what was established before. Hated his ideas of female robin and gay joker and all that. So now I finally picked up Frank Miller's robocop and found out that he did the same thing with robocop. Now I know that Green picked all the good pieces from Miller's script and discarded all the rest, which was about 90%. Theres very little in Miller's Robo of what was in the movie, Im surprised he's credited first. But cmon, things like Robo and Lewis making out, the Rambolina Lewis, pregnant Ellen, its all terrible imo. I also hated the idea of robo walking away, it makes no sense whatosever. He was just convinced that hes not a human being that can have a normal life. I like Kershner's idea better, that even with free will he decides to stay and that his duty is what he sees as his purpose in life and what keeps him from blowing his head off

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote

I get the feeling that a lot of the visual stuff, such as turning every female into a half naked hooker, is purely "Avatar press" and the artists work. If you look at some of that companies other titles it's pretty shady stuff.

No fan of the book at all though. It's a mess on a lot of levels.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote

Ive heard so too, but those things are the least of the problems. I dont think Miller's script was unfilmable just for budgetary reasons, its just really a comic book style story and doesnt fit like a major movie or any movie at all. It has no pacing, no real buildup or dialogue, almost none of the corporate stuff. And I used to defend Miller so many times because I thought that, since credited first, a vast majority of R2 script is his. It appears that Green did the entire work just using Miller's ideas. Same with Dekker - seems like Dekker penned the script using some of the ideas. Did Miller even specifically work on R3 or did Dekker just took his script and worked on it?

RB 525

Archive

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
Now I know that Green picked all the good pieces from Miller's script and discarded all the rest, which was about 90%.

Hmmm, is this a theory or do you have an article or info on that?
Miller was on the set of RoboCop2 the whole time, so it seems strange if he where there as a writer and script consultant if it was no longer his script.

There was an extensive interview in the magazine "comics interview" issue 82 with Miller where he talks about the process of the 7 drafts of Robo2 and being on the set "virtually the whole time" talking with Kershner and Weller over scenes and lines. Writing new lines and scenes the same day of shooting etc.. He talks about input from a lot of people but never does he mention leaving the script behind and having Walon Green take over and dump 90% that he wrote....

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote

Archive :
KidGoesWild :
Now I know that Green picked all the good pieces from Miller's script and discarded all the rest, which was about 90%.

Hmmm, is this a theory or do you have an article or info on that?

Theory, based on 2 things

1. Miller's complaints about how drastic the changes to his script were
2. Based on whats in the comic - theres really very little of the actual movie except for some basic ideas which were all redone heavily anyway in a different context and all

I know Miller was on the set as evidenced by bobjen's pics, but the only photos of him on the set are when hes at the factory, where he shot his own scenes, so I think he was just there on the factory set and thats it and exagerated saying that he was on the set so often. But who knows, just yesterday I found the R2 script outline on the site and it seems much, much closer to the movie than the comic

RB 525

Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote

The draft that got turned into a comic was the first draft, out of seven, so a lot can happen during that time. It was of course also parts of this draft that got turned into a RoboCop3 script later on.

The 4th draft that i have resemble the finished movie pretty well apart from a bunch of scenes that was cut.

RB 348130

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote

Yeah I thought Miller turned in the script which was then reworked by Green, but when I read the scans you guys posted it seems like Miller was reworking it all the time on Kershner's orders and worked closely with him

RB 525

WeKilledYou
DIRECTIVE 249 Don't be oversensitive to the hostility and negativity of others

L-L4

Comment: I know you. You're dead!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote

I really can't think of a good reason or excuse as to why I have never read this. I've read a decent amount of Frank Millers work, but somehow this has eluded me all these years. I need to make it a priority to go out of my way and not only find but read the whole thing.

RB 1163

RoboCain-v2 nuke-red-ramrod nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder nuke-blue-velvet UC-M21
Sin_Valor
No. 4 dumbass on the board

L-L5

Comment: Don't touch me man!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote

I am curious and interested to go check out the comics myself. I mean yeah Frank Miller has written and directed some crap, but maybe this won't be so bad...to say the least. Don't get me wrong, Miller is a good artist, I mean look at 'The Dark Knight Returns', but I'm a little concerned about what would happen if Miller was fully in charge of the sequels and how the story played out.

Does anyone know if this is released on ComiXology or some other digital comic site?

RB 2

lewis-figure robocop-figure4 dvd-20th robocop-helmet auto9 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop Scratch Card
razgriz21
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Anyone where I can pick these up?

RB 283

toaster baby-food game-xbox
ireactions
O-L1*

O-L1*

Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote

I bought mine off Kobo; you could probably find it on Amazon or eBay. Hey, I have a question -- was the BOOM! trade paperback for Frank Miller's comics recoloured?

I recall when the issues originally came out that the final two issue looked incredibly different from the first seven which were coloured by Nimbus Studios and had a very bright, high contrast, hypersaturated look. The eighth issue, however, was coloured by Austin McKinley. Nimbus Studios' brightness was replaced by a tan, dim shade that I didn't mind but it was like the very bright lights had suddenly gone dim.

And I recall the final issue coloured by another new colourist, Mark Sweeney. The pages were now cloaked in extremely dark, almost crushed blacks and blues. The art looked muddy and it had an awkward effect on the line weights and made Juan Jose Ryp's hyperdetailed renderings look like thumbnails scanned at too low a resolution. I don't have the originals anymore -- I think I gave them away.

However, I've been re-reading the hardcover and I was bracing myself for the shift in colour. But it didn't come. #8 and #9 have none of the colouring issues I describe above. They are definitely different from #1 - #7 in that the contrast and white levels on #8 and #9 are a little lower, but the shift is subtle and #9 now has the crisp, obsessive detail that was absent in the original printing -- at least as I recall. #9 is also a lot easier to read; I recall being really confused as to the RoboCop/RoboCop 2 battle, but now I can tell who's who and what's going where.

I'm wondering if the pages were recoloured or the files were touched up before the reprint to raise the brightness a bit to be closer to the first seven issues. Does anyone have the originals and the hardcover for a comparison?

RB 1677

hamburger
Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote

I believe you're right. Looking back, the reprint has more desaturated colors, but better defined outlines. It's subtle, but take a look at the original and compare:
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Frank-Miller-s-Robocop/Issue-9?id=91138

I recently bought the BOOM TPB out of curiosity of the many ways the series could have been handled after the first film. I was actually expecting it to be a lot more different than the films, but there's still a clear lineage from the films back to Miller's ideas.

I can go a lot more in-depth, but I do think the stories were smoothed out for the movies. The RoboCop 2 treatment seemed like a great bit more of a departure from the first film. Also, I was never really a fan of killing off original characters, rather the way it was done. It seemed pretty bold that Miller either wanted a death to raise the stakes (with Reed), or simply to bring in his own original characters to essentially fill the same roles (Lewis, Old Man, Johnson).

RB 730

hamburger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Games & Comics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard