New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Neill Blomkamp Discussion Thread

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote

With the amazing news about Neill Blomkamp taking the helm of the new Robocop film, naturally there will be some discussion of his work. I figured this would be a great place to talk about it specifically so the main topic doesn't get too offtopic. Personally, I have only seen District 9 but now will def have to check out his other two. But I really loved District 9, was very excited for it and went to see it with my dad and was blown away. it was not without it's flaws, and the first half was more compelling than the second for me, but the story was impressive and kept my interest until the end. Based on that film alone, I have a lot of confidence in Neil. There was no way we were gonna get another Robo movie without a lot of CGI, but he seems like a good choice to handle that and still give us plenty of physical props and practical effects in the mix too. Also, there were some really interesting moments of social commentary in District 9, like the prostitutes for the aliens and the whole economy with the cat food, that make me excited for his take on Robocop. After I see his other work I will report back, but for now, tell me what you think of his work!

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote

I've enjoyed all of his work, honestly. "District 9" seems to have the strongest social commentary out of them, but I had fun with "Elysium" as well, even if mostly as an action movie. The villain in that was extremely over the top. "Chappie" was also quite nice, though once again, Ninja was a bit too much for me. But it had action, humor, heart...it definitely worked for me.

I do think Blomkamp's movies have elements that would fit neatly into a proper RoboCop movie. The point is to have the right amount of everything.

CREDITS 2802

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote

Technically he knows his stuff, so i'm confident "RoboCop Returns" is gonna turn out good from a visual and technical standpoint. The 2014 remake was all over the place and looked fancy sometimes and downright amateurish in other spots. That's not gonna be the case with Neill Blomkamp i'm sure.

That said, i have only seen Disctrict9, Elysium and Chappy ONCE, and have no real interest in re-watching them. District9 was great, the other two was fine. Chappy was annoying to watch in places and had some odd choices here and there.

CREDITS 396

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote

Im glad hes not writing it, but I wished a more established writer was on board.

CREDITS 3259

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
POCOBOR
L-L2

L-L2

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote

I, too, went into District 9 with high hopes and it surpassed my expectations. I’d read a little where people were comparing its execution of satire and violence to RoboCop’s and how Neill was a huge fan of the original. I remember that being the best theater experience I’d had in quite some time.

Elysium felt a little more heavy handed with its commentary on immigration/healthcare/elitism but the action and outstanding blending of great CGI and practical fx made it easy to swallow. Oh and Sharlto Copley in that movie is something to behold!

Chappie was kind of endearing and the practical/CGI blend is still spot on. Some great subtle nods to Robo and it has that whole Johnny 5 thing going on, for better or worse. I haven’t watched Chappie in a while but I do remember being annoyed during most of the Die Antwoord scenes. The girl was ok but that’s about it. I could see that aspect working much better with some real actors.

CREDITS 198

robocop-figure3 robocop-head RoboBadge arcade2-robocop2 ford-taurus
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote

POCOBOR :
Chappie was kind of endearing and the practical/CGI blend is still spot on. Some great subtle nods to Robo and it has that whole Johnny 5 thing going on, for better or worse. I haven’t watched Chappie in a while but I do remember being annoyed during most of the Die Antwoord scenes. The girl was ok but that’s about it. I could see that aspect working much better with some real actors.

Saw in theater; he made sure to us to feel for the artificial one. But I´m sure the film could be way better if you take off Die Antwoord from it. Way too annoying (and it looks they were a pain in the ass during filming as well). Didn´t see Elysium, and District 9 is his finest film. It works pretty good when he´s focused.

I think Blomkamp can deliver a violent, distopic film. I just hope the tone and the script will help the experience. As I told thousands of times, tone in RoboCop´s case is so specific that could be tricky to recreate. I hope Neumeier and Miner will supervise the whole thing, so they could tweak the script and make a good return of our favourite cyborg.

CREDITS 102

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: White Noise, Black Thunder, Blue Velvet or Red Ramrod?

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote

Mindchamber :
Im glad hes not writing it, but I wished a more established writer was on board.

I hear ya, but I think it's important to remember that sci-fi sequel master, James Cameron has trusted writer Justin Rhodes with his own Terminator franchise, with writing duties on the new Terminator movie. As we all know, Cameron is certainly no fool and has trusted him to reboot his creation - so I think it speaks volumes about Rhodes's ability.

CREDITS 0

nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet magnavolt hamburger
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote

After conducting an exhaustive analysis of Neil Blomkamp's filmography, I have discerned that he is a big poopyhead. Not only is he dumb, but he's stupid too. All his films suck, even the ones I haven't seen. Everything Neil Blomkamp touches turns to crap, including his own brain, and yes he can touch his own brain because it is so small and can easily pop out of his head, which happened recently as you may have heard. I cannot recommend his films less.

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard