New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

What DIDN'T you like about Robocop 1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Murphy's POV was a great artistic device, it gives you the complete frankenstein feeling that his mind is blank yet seeing everything, that he is just a dead body with no will and they are doing what they want with him. But when he is presented, he (the camera) starts to move, we see him for a second in that monitor, that's powerful, he's alive again and very intimidating. Then all the expectation at the police department to see him through the blurred glass, then his back... And later they present his gun and firepower with just sound and a distant shot of a hand and the auto-9 shooting. All that crescendo is incredibly well written/directed, you didn't need to see testing him and his weapon in a lab, also remember it's a fast paced film always moving forward, very dynamic, spending 20+ minutes in a lab testing things would have broken the flow.

You know when Apple show their new iphones/ipads they show finished products to the audience, that's creating expectation and catching attention, you don't know how it looks until then, it wouldn't be the same if they showed to the press all the protoypes and engineering behind before its release.

Obviously today trends and CGI in sci-fi/fantasy films demand more explicit and shocking visuals, so it was foreseeable they will show Murphy metamorphosis more as a scaring zombie full of wires and mechanics, and all the development and 'brainstorm' meetings (I would take it more as a parody of how hollywood studios work when creating a film or tv series, although there was already that kind of pardoy in R2 with Dr. Faxxx, remember?).

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Raymond
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote

artuditu :
Murphy's POV was a great artistic device, it gives you the complete frankenstein feeling that his mind is blank yet seeing everything, that he is just a dead body with no will and they are doing what they want with him. But when he is presented, he (the camera) starts to move, we see him for a second in that monitor, that's powerful, he's alive again and very intimidating. Then all the expectation at the police department to see him through the blurred glass, then his back... And later they present his gun and firepower with just sound and a distant shot of a hand and the auto-9 shooting. All that crescendo is incredibly well written/directed, you didn't need to see testing him and his weapon in a lab, also remember it's a fast paced film always moving forward, very dynamic, spending 20+ minutes in a lab testing things would have broken the flow.

You know when Apple show their new iphones/ipads they show finished products to the audience, that's creating expectation and catching attention, you don't know how it looks until then, it wouldn't be the same if they showed to the press all the protoypes and engineering behind before its release.

Obviously today trends and CGI in sci-fi/fantasy films demand more explicit and shocking visuals, so it was foreseeable they will show Murphy metamorphosis more as a scaring zombie full of wires and mechanics, and all the development and 'brainstorm' meetings (I would take it more as a parody of how hollywood studios work when creating a film or tv series, although there was already that kind of pardoy in R2 with Dr. Faxxx, remember?).

well im usually for "don't show" in horror movies where the audience can build their own scarier mental image but for science fiction movies it helps with the suspension of disbelief seeing at least part of the technology and some inner workings. For example in Robocop 1 they could have shown an early prototype with an animal or multiple other ways to make it a bit more plausible they could pull of a cyborg project that fast. We don't even get much background in Robocop1 at all about the whole cyborg idea. Robocop2 deals with it slightly at least but that movie has a very messy script.

Robocop 1 has a much better script and it wouldn't have hurt the pacing giving more character development and some more science fiction elements. The movie clocks in on about 100 minutes. It wouldn't hurt if it was 120 min. I hope for Robocop 2014 that they aren't afraid to go for 120-130 min and take the time needed.

I think both ironman and batman begins are over 2h and they give so much character development and form the entire "universe" for the franchise. That way sequels can be made in logical fashion. They don't have to fill in any gaps.

Robocop2 almost tries that dwelling into many subjects that Robocop1 quickly brushed aside and it didn't do that movie any favors. Why is stuff like cyborg subject selection introduced like being successful with Murphy and that entire project was just a giant fluke? why does it deal with his wife and her seeing Murphy? why wasn't that dealt with in the first movie? In fact it almost destroyed the entire movie that they introduced so much stuff that should have been done in the first movie forming the entire setting of a franchise. Many scenes in Robocop2 hurt the pacing and are out of place in a movie that has a lot of things going on as it is.

RB 3724

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote

I can't think of many things I didn't like about it. But if I had to pick something off the top of my head it would be the Dick Jones animatronic figure they used for him falling out the window. Arms were too long and it looked really cheesy and fake. If they re-did that scene with a better model or something it would only improve the film a bit more.

RB 18145

IlyaG
O-L1*

O-L1*

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 am Reply with quote

This entire discussion reads like the asinine board room meeting in RoboCop 2 where all those people were asked to give feedback on how to change RoboCop... and then they actually put those changes in.

Reading through all this reinforces my opinion that movies should not be made by committee.

RB 459

TwiggyChest
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote

I would have liked if they had managed to put the hospital scene with Lewis in there somewhere, just not at the end. It was the perfect follow-up to Dick Jones' "Ask any cop, he'll tell you".

I also would have preferred ED-209 doing a bit more in his final confrontation. Perhaps being sent along with the others to the Steel Mill, RoboCop then has to evade him until he can retrieve Joe or Emil's cannon. The way ED-209 just blew up without any prior second showdown with RoboCop is anti-climatic.

RB 12

IlyaG
O-L1*

O-L1*

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote

TwiggyChest :
The way ED-209 just blew up without any prior second showdown with RoboCop is anti-climatic.

What!? Absolutely disagree with this. The way the scene plays out in the movie jolts the audience and makes them stand up, cheer, and laugh. It's one of the greatest moments in the history of action movies, on the same level as the Indiana Jones scene where Indy pulls out his gun and just casually shoots that giant Egyptian swordsman.

Like I said above, this whole thread reads like the insane board room meeting with the interest group reps in RoboCop 2, which was literally a parody of the movie screen-testing process and polling the audience on how they would change the movie before it comes out.

"He should speak up on environmental issues!"

RB 459

Victorboris1
O-L4

O-L4

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Well, the only thing I don't like about the original Robocop is the fact that it was filmed during the 80s, and the entire western world dressed like clowns during the 80s. That's pretty much it.

RB 36

RoboLewis
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:12 pm Reply with quote

Everything about the first movie was perfect! I just didn’t get how at the beginning of the movie we see Lewis beat up her suspect and Reed assigns Murphy as her new partner. So, until Murphy shows up she’s working these mean streets alone? And I would’ve like to have seen a bit more of Murphy adjusting to Metro West and how bad the crime was in that area. When Sgt. Reed says to Murphy that Metro South is a nice precinct and Murphy says “Pretty Good,” the look and reply from Reed says it all. He came from an area that wasn’t too bad and he had a cushy job. Now he had to really work for living!

RB 1156

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:55 am Reply with quote

RoboLewis :
I just didn’t get how at the beginning of the movie we see Lewis beat up her suspect and Reed assigns Murphy as her new partner. So, until Murphy shows up she’s working these mean streets alone?

She might have been on her own, but more likely she had someone else until Murphy showed up and the roster put him with Lewis (making him a 'new' partner to her) while whoever she was partnered with prior was put with someone else. Rotating personnel around is something cop departments can/will do every so.. though in the film's case these rotations were likely a good bit more frequent given all the other goings-on.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:52 pm Reply with quote

Since this topic has been brought back up, I have a new one to add to the list. This is something that has kinda always bothered me, but has become much more irksome to me in recent years. And what is this thing I don't like about the original RoboCop movie? It's reputation.

This might seem odd for a RoboCop fan, as the movie is held in a very high regard, not just by fans but by cinema culture. It was the 23rd movie added to the Criterion Collection, which is quite prestigious considering that series now has well over a 1000 releases. Many people say RoboCop is a perfect movie. And I don't disagree. But the problem? It is perhaps TOO perfect.

Some people think RoboCop is a film, and never needed to be a franchise. They see it is a complete story that should have ended when the credits roll. I completely disagree. I have been a fan of RoboCop as long as I can remember. I did see the first movie when I was very young, but my childhood love of RoboCop comes more from the third movie, the action figures I had and the comics I read. I loved RoboCop and didn't see any one version as the "real" version of RoboCop. And I still feel that way.

Some people love the first movie and hate everything else. They love to claim RoboCop 2 is shit, utter trash, a worthless sequel. To me the gap in quality between the first two movies is fairly narrow. Of course I think the original is perfect too. But the difference to me comes down to the super tight pacing and character work of the original movie. No scene is filler, no character wastes time. And the same can't be said for RoboCop 2. But, in terms of action, emotion, impact, I think RoboCop 2 is even better in some regards. Not to mention RoboCop 3...

I won't go on about every specific spinoff, but I certainly could. They are all valid to me. So when people act like the first movie is so perfect that nothing could come close, it irks me. There have been more great RoboCop stories, many if you could episodes and comics and not just movies. Unfortunately I think the reboot was the real turning point for this. Since it was such a mediocre flop many people don't think there is much point in trying something new with RoboCop again.

Some people say RoboCop is not a superhero, and does not need a franchise with endless entries. To me RoboCop IS a superhero, I loved him more than Batman and Spider-Man and wanted to see RoboCop in as many cartoons, movies, comics, action figures, etc as those guys had... and I still do! The dream is undying, and my rant is coming to an end.

TL,DR: RoboCop is a perfect movie? Sure, but it ain't THAT perfect.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:48 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
It is perhaps TOO perfect.
TL,DR: RoboCop is a perfect movie? Sure, but it ain't THAT perfect.

Lol make up yer mind. tongue

But seriously though I quite a bit agree with both. If that makes sense. Laughing Though I would lean more to the 'too perfect' camp for sure. And would say that that is both it's greatest strength and its greatest detriment all at the same time.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard