New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop Gets a Release Date
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Officer Igor Antunes
Detroit Police | Omnicorp

Sgt-L2

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote

Sony Pictures has set a release date for the Jose Padilha-directed reboot of RoboCop. It's now slated to arrive on August 9, 2013.

Joel Kinnaman is set to play the title role with a script by Josh Zetumer. Strike Entertainment partners Eric Newman and Marc Abraham are producing.

Padilha previously told us what to expect from the new film:

"In the first 'RoboCop' when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?"

A reboot of the 1987 Paul Verhoeven film, RoboCop will again tell the story of a police officer who, after nearly being killed in the line of duty, is rebuilt as a crime-fighting cyborg. The original film spawned two sequels and multiple television series spinoffs.

SOURCE: http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169831-robocop-gets-a-release-date

RB 1741

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 am Reply with quote

It seems the ball is now rolling although to be fair we've been told all of this before.

Good job on getting the info though Igor.

RB 17917

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote

Hmm, 2013 seems a bit rushed to me.

RB 464

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:45 am Reply with quote

6 days after my 20th birthday... if it does actually get made and is good that movie's gonna be one hell of a present!!

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Iron_Justice80
R-L5

R-L5

Comment: Dead or alive you're coming with me

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Deus Ex Robo :
Hmm, 2013 seems a bit rushed to me.

How does it seem rushed? They have completed the script and they are casting now. If they start production in May or June like they want that will give them 15 months. Principle photography usually only takes 3-4 months (if that) Leaving them about 10-11 months of post production (Editing, CGI, scoring, reshoots...etc) So actually it seems like more than enough time to put a big movie like this together. Marvels THE AVENGERS had less time for production considering they started last June and the movie comes out the first week of May and the trailers for that look AMAZING!

Im not worried about production time with ROBOCOP...im worried about how much they are going to change the story and legacy. Not to mention the design of ROBO himself. If they can leave one thing alone please let it be the overal design of the ROBO suit!

RB 1011

X-men Watchmen Gun-T2 Shotgun
SyrioForel
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:24 am Reply with quote

The bad vibes coming from this production are palpable.

First they cast a complete unknown as the STAR of the movie. They may be purposefully avoiding casting some well-known face in this role for artistic reasons, but it's still damn clear what kind of message they're sending to the audiences. There are no other recent tent-pole releases where the damn star was played by a nobody.

Now somebody might say, "What about Avatar?" Sam Worthington was an unknown... BUT, unlike Joel Kinnaman, Worthington had leading star looks and charisma and isn't just a character actor (no offense to Joel). He was even in the running to be the new James Bond at the time. Kinnaman was literally plucked out of a basic cable TV show.

But whatever. Maybe this guy can pull it off. Fine.

Then there's the issue of the actual release date. This is not being treated as a summer release. August is where summer-leftovers and cheap genre pictures get shoved off. Recent August openings include last year's Conan the Barbarian, The Expendables, the recent Death Race remake, the Transporter movies, and things like that.

All of this combines to make it pretty obvious that, unlike what some might have hoped, they are NOT positioning this movie as some hard-edge, gritty version of Iron Man. They're positioning it as strictly a genre picture for a limited audience.

And on top of THAT, they hired a skilled director who knows how to film a movie on a very limited budget.

What am I getting at? That this is being treated as a CHEAP movie. It will be a low-budget affair.

They are making another RoboCop 3!

I know someone might say, "But wasn't Robocop 1 made on the cheap too?" The difference is, even though its budget was low, it employed literally the cream of the crop behind the camera to make things look and sound amazing. It won the Academy Award for that. It was the best people in the industry working on an under-budgeted passion project. This reboot, on the other hand, is a studio-mandated cash-in. Although we don't know the details yet, I'll predict right now that the only truly skilled person working on this picture will be its director, and in the years to come he'll come to regret making this movie.

I want to be excited for this movie, I really do. But even with as little as we know about what it is and who's making it, it is becoming clear that this is NOT a movie worth waiting for, not even (and maybe ESPECIALLY) for fans of the original.

People would be flipping out if Blade Runner was being rebooted, or if Back to the Future was remade from scratch, or if they re-cast E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. These aren't just fan-favorites and popular movies from yesteryear, they are ICONIC. They are filled with imagery that will be remembered for generations. Robocop may not be family-friendly, but to those who loved it, it is absolutely on the same level of iconography. You can't remake this shit and get away with it, and every time they've tried (Burton's Planet of the Apes, etc), they've failed. They will fail again. And this time, because of who they hired for the leading role, when they're releasing it, and consequently how much resources they will be willing to give the production team, they KNOW they'll fail. But in failing, all they want to do is turn a profit. It makes me sick.

RB 112

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote

I gave ya a public trust for that,You pinned the tail on the donkey..Yes it's not being treated as a major property and yes it has all the industry trade marks of a stinker,All one has to do is know a little something about how the film industry works too know where this is headed,BUT and its a big BUT Smile,Something decent could still result "District 9" is a perfect example of how a tight budget and limited "rushed" production with total unknowns cast can still yield results..The big question that you raise and I deem the most important one too answer is WILL THIS FILM DO JUSTICE TOO THE LEGACY OF THE FIRST FILM?...Robocop Is truly a masterpiece of the 80's and stands alongside Bladerunner,Aliens,The Terminator,Predator and other great Sci Fi films of the era..All we can do at this point is hope that the director know's what it is he holds in his hands with this property and what a great opportunity he has too pay homage,and ressurect one of the Greatest film characters of all time..ready or not it's comng and its gonna be called Robocop so here's to prayng that in August of 2013 we'll be all talkin' about how awesome it was..One can only hope..

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
TechnoCop
O-L5*

O-L5*

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Absolutely! I have the same feeling. :roll:

SyrioForel :
The bad vibes coming from this production are palpable.

First they cast a complete unknown as the STAR of the movie. They may be purposefully avoiding casting some well-known face in this role for artistic reasons, but it's still damn clear what kind of message they're sending to the audiences. There are no other recent tent-pole releases where the damn star was played by a nobody.

Now somebody might say, "What about Avatar?" Sam Worthington was an unknown... BUT, unlike Joel Kinnaman, Worthington had leading star looks and charisma and isn't just a character actor (no offense to Joel). He was even in the running to be the new James Bond at the time. Kinnaman was literally plucked out of a basic cable TV show.

But whatever. Maybe this guy can pull it off. Fine.

Then there's the issue of the actual release date. This is not being treated as a summer release. August is where summer-leftovers and cheap genre pictures get shoved off. Recent August openings include last year's Conan the Barbarian, The Expendables, the recent Death Race remake, the Transporter movies, and things like that.

All of this combines to make it pretty obvious that, unlike what some might have hoped, they are NOT positioning this movie as some hard-edge, gritty version of Iron Man. They're positioning it as strictly a genre picture for a limited audience.

And on top of THAT, they hired a skilled director who knows how to film a movie on a very limited budget.

What am I getting at? That this is being treated as a CHEAP movie. It will be a low-budget affair.

I know someone might say, "But wasn't Robocop 1 made on the cheap too?" The difference is, even though its budget was low, it employed literally the cream of the crop behind the camera to make things look and sound amazing. It won the Academy Award for that. It was the best people in the industry working on an under-budgeted passion project. This reboot, on the other hand, is a studio-mandated cash-in. Although we don't know the details yet, I'll predict right now that the only truly skilled person working on this picture will be its director, and in the years to come he'll come to regret making this movie.

I want to be excited for this movie, I really do. But even with as little as we know about what it is and who's making it, it is becoming clear that this is NOT a movie worth waiting for, not even (and maybe ESPECIALLY) for fans of the original.

People would be flipping out if Blade Runner was being rebooted, or if Back to the Future was remade from scratch, or if they re-cast E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. These aren't just fan-favorites and popular movies from yesteryear, they are ICONIC. They are filled with imagery that will be remembered for generations. Robocop may not be family-friendly, but to those who loved it, it is absolutely on the same level of iconography. You can't remake this shit and get away with it, and every time they've tried (Burton's Planet of the Apes, etc), they've failed. They will fail again. And this time, because of who they hired for the leading role, when they're releasing it, and consequently how much resources they will be willing to give the production team, they KNOW they'll fail. But in failing, all they want to do is turn a profit. It makes me sick.

RB 652

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote

Let's face it, the franchise is not as widly regarded any more because of shit comics, shit games, a shit sequel and two shit TV series.

Even if this one isn't great It's not like It's ruining a clean run. Even if it is "good" but not "excellent" It's still better than the crap we have dealt with since 1993...

RB 17917

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote

SyrioForel :

It could be worse...it could be PD Laughing

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Impressive first post SyrioForel.

While i don't agree with you i can definitely see your point. It is just that without the possibility of a new movie we are left with nothing. Sure, we can still watch the old movies and tv series but we would still be in a total vacuum when it comes to NEW stuff related to RoboCop.

The reason we have gotten so many products such as comics and figures is because of the rumours of a new movie that has been going on for the last 4+ years. A character that was almost forgotten back in 2008 has gotten new life and in 2011 when all the RoboCop statue news were going around the search amount for "robocop" on google was the highest it had ever been.

I want the RoboCop character to live on and the only way to do that is to make a new movie and introduce him to a new audience as well as the old one.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Arrofa
R-L5

R-L5

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote

Maybe it will be realeased in August because it's not a film for the big public, and this make me think that they aren't transforming Robocop into an Iroman thing, but he will remain as the way it is.
The biggest problem of all the Robo-things after the first film, is that he became a superhero, while he was a policeman, part man and part machine, with a great drama inside. Looks like Padilha knows this, and this is the most important thing to me.
Moreover, low budget didn't block Verhoeven from doing a very good movie, with watchable special effects, a great armor and a great soundtrack.
So, I'm optimistic, but I won't exult until I'll see a trailer. It is not even said that they'll make the film: it has been deleted and delayed a lot of times!

RB 243

Robo_1
R-L3

R-L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Josh :
Let's face it, the franchise is not as widly regarded any more because of shit comics, shit games, a shit sequel and two shit TV series.

Even if this one isn't great It's not like It's ruining a clean run. Even if it is "good" but not "excellent" It's still better than the crap we have dealt with since 1993...

Yeah, that's how I look at it.

The franchise has been milked for all it's worth in the past, and another chapter in the Robocop story can't really hurt.

I remain hopeful that it will prove enjoyable.

RB 262

Nash
L-L3

L-L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote

I've faith in this project, because Padilha Understands that ROBOCOP isn't a Superhero.

I Wonder if Verhoeven knew that ROBOCOP wasn't a superhero, because there were plans for a sequel back in the 80e by Verhoeven, who knows how that would have turned out, i think not so good.

RB 5709

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard