New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

How you became a RoboCop fan ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Darkseid
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Hail to the King, Baby!

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote

I think it was to help the rental market but then bootlegs started to surface for $15-$20 each (Now, you could buy dvd bootlegs for only $5! My how technology went down in price compared to 10-20 years ago!). Anyways, I remember the wholesale catalogs stating "Retail price $89.99, wholesale price $64.95!" I wonder how stores could charge a mere $1 ($2.50 for new) rental at those $90 prices but nowadays, they charge you $2-$5 for dvd rentals when the dvds cost $15-$25? I just don't rent from the stores anymore unless it's a free Blockbuster rental.

RB 0

robocop-figure3 Superman-Chris Reeve LaraCroft
Koutetsu Kaigun
Ironclad Warfare Historian

Sgt-L2

Comment: Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation.

Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote

Darkseid,

I do not think I have ever seen prices like that in my part of the world. I am correct in thinking that you are not from the U.S.? Or am I thinking of another member?

平和、

鋼鉄 海軍

RB 27228

Ed-260 rocketeer-helmet batman-card ironman auto9 Lightsaber-Red delorean-car Johnny5
Darkseid
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Hail to the King, Baby!

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote

I'm from the U.S.

I think Japan has some really expensive dvds. I mean $50-$60 (converted from Yen to US Dollars) for a Godzilla dvd?

I paid a mere $8 for the Region 2 PAL dvd of Robocop from the U.K. (after the conversion from GBP to US$).

RB 0

robocop-figure3 Superman-Chris Reeve LaraCroft
Koutetsu Kaigun
Ironclad Warfare Historian

Sgt-L2

Comment: Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation.

Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote

Darkseid,

My apologies for misremembering.
Those prices just stun me. I remember the VHS players and DVD players being outrageously expensive, but never the cassettes. I am either too young or my member is failing me. Smile

平和、

鋼鉄 海軍

RB 27228

Ed-260 rocketeer-helmet batman-card ironman auto9 Lightsaber-Red delorean-car Johnny5
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote

Whoever she rented it from probably overcharged her for the replacement, most rental places do that as a penalty if you lose their videos. Although I believe new video cassettes of some movies probably were that expensive if not close to that back then. You have to remember, VHS was the big-time media 20 years ago. Some single DVDs were almost that expensive when DVDs first came out.

BTW, KK, if you re-read Darkseid's post, he says his teacher only rented Die Hard, he didn't say she rented for the class, hehe. His teacher just happened to leave it at the desk was all.

A class with a showing of the movie Die Hard in the cirriculum? (sp?) That's a school class I'd have liked to attend. Smile

Anyway, fascinating as the debate of VHS pricing is, I think we've gone perhaps a smidge off-topic. tongue

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
TwilightPro101
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:29 am Reply with quote

If memory serves correct I rented Batman Returns back in the day constantly and the movie itself cost about 30-40 bucks to buy directly from the video store. We got ripped off royally or at least that's what I thought back in the day. I was 10 or 11 at the time.

Can't remember all the mixed prices at this point to be honest. I'm still missing comics being 1.50 a piece instead of like 3 bucks.

RB 277

game-xbox
Fiwhiz
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Your company built the fucking thing.I don't have time for this bullshit!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote

When I was a Child I did not see many movies back in the 80s we had a TV that flickered badly and We had to rent a VCR to watch movies.One Right my Family Rented Robocop Back When it first came on VHS .. I Snuck out to the livingroom and watched it sitting on the side of the Couch were i was not seen. From That Moment on i was HOOKED.I use to play Robocop when i was a kid all the time i had the Actionfigures and Also made a helm out of a Jug lol. My Cousin and I started watching Robocop And Robocop 2 alot when we were 10-11 years old then we would go outside and play it .. Sadly We were playing Robocop 2 one day and this kid wanted to play Highlander .. At That Time I was Playing as Kane i don't know what the hell came over me this kid standing there with a plastic sword and i had a piece of plastic i hit him in the face and he was sliced bad... I was Grounded from anything Robocop for about a year after that Sad No more TMNT Robo Sad .. Then a few years later i got hooked again started collecting Toys Videos Movies and so on from the films now 20 years later i am still a huge fan. I was sick back in 2001 with Lymphoma and waiting for Robocop PD to come out i was so afraid i was going to die before the series came out .... I Wrote Julian Grant and Email at that time i had a small Fansite that was linked on www.robocop.pd.ca
he sent me a bunch of Promtional Items from the film and i got to see Robocop PD !!!! That made me beyond happy Smile

RB 1

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Fiwhiz :
.... I Wrote Julian Grant and Email at that time i had a small Fansite that was linked on www.robocop.pd.ca
he sent me a bunch of Promtional Items from the film and i got to see Robocop PD !!!! That made me beyond happy Smile

Cool story. What was your website called? is it still online?

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Fiwhiz
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Your company built the fucking thing.I don't have time for this bullshit!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Not Anymore I had it On Angelfire Sad I have a Myspace Now Though Http://www.myspace.com/Jobymn

RB 1

Rumney
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote

I was about 7 and was in the video store with my dad, it would've been about 1991 or 92 as Robocop 2 had just come out on video.

I don't know if I knew who or what Robocop was I remember leaving the video store with both films, eager to watch them. My dad never bothered looking at the age ratings (being that they were both rated 18)

I'd seen films like Aliens and Terminator etc before but this was by far the bloodiest film I'd ever seen up to that point, I think what's most disturbing is the first two people you see die are both innocent.

I remember hiding behind a cushion as ED209 blasted away, and then again when they were shooting at Murphy (and this was the basic version, nowhere near as bloody as the director's cut I now own) Everything after that I didn't have a problem with because they're pretty much all badguys (Morton isn't really a fully fledged villain but you don't see his death anyway, just the explosion)

I watched Robocop 2 the same day I think, and it didn't have anywhere near the affect the first one did (though I was pretty grossed out by the scene where they take out Cain's brain)

By the time Robocop 3 came out and I saw it on video I already knew the violence had been trimmed compared to the others, and I didn't like that, but still thought it was OK... ish.

So yeah, I've loved Robocop since I was a kid, and I went on to love other films by the same director (especially Total Recall which I saw not long after)

RB 87

Psyburn
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote

R2 Big showdown with Cain at a young age. I was astounded at how friggin awesome it looked.

RB 75

TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to witness the beginning of RoboCop first-hand in the theater. It was the Spring/Summer of 1987, but I can't remember the exact date...I do remember I was thirteen years old at the time, though. Now I kinda considered my household fairly conservative when I was growing up, but my parents were pretty-big movie buffs as well. I just don't remember a time when they didn't take us to movies. Well anyway, along came the tv ads for RoboCop. My brothers and I were so stoked to see it. My mom and dad took us on a Friday night showing; it may even have been the opening night, but I can't be sure. Now we were all expecting this sci-fi, futuristic romp of a popcorn flick, never mind the R-rating. Needless to say, we were all kind of taken aback by the violence and the language, but like many of you have said, I was enthralled. I was always a good kid; never getting into trouble, never doing bad things really, and I used to always go to church with my mother. You could almost say I was a goody-two-shoes, if you will. But I was still fascinated by the violence and drama of RoboCop, the story of a good man that was killed then resurrected as a cyborg, who stood up for justice in a horrible, violent world. I absolutely loved it. After the shock from the gore, language, and violence wore off (lol), my parents liked it as well. We later rented it several times, and we even had a badly-taped VHS copy later that my brothers and I absolutely wore-out. I knew all the lines. I doodled pictures of RoboCop all over my school papers in the margins. I mimicked his moves and voice. I longed for a real Halloween costume I could dress-up in. I was just crazy about RoboCop as a kid.

A few years later of course the inevitable sequel came out. I saw it and liked it, yet I didn't love it like the original. But it's like someone else said; it's RoboCop. They could put him in a musical and I'd probably watch it just to see him. (lol) I even remember reading somewhere that he appeared on WCW Wrestling one time, and I freaked-out because I missed it. RoboCop in a wrestling match?! It didn't matter. It was ROBOCOP!! (lol)

RoboCop 3 came along, and it was nowhere near the caliber of movie that the original was, but I still liked it because it was Robo. I still like it to this day. I have a soft spot in my heart for bad movies. They're fascinating to watch for me for some reason. (lol) But also I can appreciate it for what it is; a cheap sequel to a masterpiece of a film. Anyway, somewhere between the films Kenner came out with the figures. A friend of mine called and told me he found them at Toys-R-Us. I freaked-out! It was such an unexpected but nice surprise, and I just had to have one. My dad, God rest his soul, was kind enough one day after work to drive by and buy me the RoboCop figure. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but hey...again, it was freaking ROBOCOP. (lol) I loved that figure anyway, never mind the horribly-inaccurate, ill-fitting helmet and huge nail-gun-looking "pistol". As a matter of fact, I would actually like to get another one some day. Last year I did actually buy some Ultra Police toys I had put-off buying for some nearly twenty years. (lol) I got many of the figures MOC and opened them. I even got a MISB Robo-1 police car that I always wanted as a kid. But unfortunately some of the blue "chrome" paint was coming off of some of the figures right out of the packaging. But anyway...

That's about it. Last year when the 20th anniversary edition DVD came out of the original film, I couldn't have been happier. Actually it's about time I watch it again...for the 4,789th time. (lol)

I may get around to getting some of the nicer RoboCop collectibles. I used to have a McFarlane Robocop figure, but I sold it. I'd really like to get the Hot Toys figures someday, although I understand they're really expensive. For now I'm just biding my time to see what the new film's gonna be like. I'm pretty excited to see what they do with it. But honestly I hope they at least stick closely to the original design of the armor. It would be hard to beat in my book...

RB 1633

ultra4
Rumney
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote

"I even remember reading somewhere that he appeared on WCW Wrestling one time, and I freaked-out because I missed it. Robocop in a wrestling match?! It didn't matter. It was ROBOCOP!! (lol)"

Sting was locked in a cage by the badguys so Robocop (very slowly) walked down and bent the "steel" bars to let Sting out. That was about it.

RB 87

protozoan
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: time doesn't heal all wounds said mr. bellybutton

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote

i was 8 years old staying at my sisters. it had just come out on video and my brother in law had hired it out. my sister had gone out and i saw the box cover sitting in the lounge, i picked it up and went "coooool" he said he had watched it the night before and told me it was pretty good and he would let me watch it if i didn't tell my sister haha. on it went and off i went. never been the same since. i remember going on about it to my friends and they didn't have a clue what i was on about because obviously the movie was rated R and their parents wouldn't let them see it. but did that stop me from showing it to them? no way!! couple weeks later when me and dad were at the video shop i casually grabbed it from the restricted section and took it to the counter. dad asked what it was and i replied "oh, just some robot movie" up it went on the counter, we hired it and when i got home i rang 4 friends up to come and see ROBOCOP!!! talk about your fun afternoons, all we could do after that is run around being robocop. although i was always the most impressed with ed-209, he scared the bejeezuz out of me and i would draw him everywhere. i'm surprised watching the movie now and seeing just how messed up it is that it didn't psychologically affect me in some way haha. maybe i was just a bit naive to the violence. still, its one of the few movies i watched as a child that i can watch now and see it completely differently from an adult point of view. its timeless!!

RB 622

dvd-20th Doom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard