New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

My impressions after watching Robocop 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

BurnOne4Robo
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Said it before, I'll say it a million times over: Robbocop 3 is one of the worst films I've ever attempted to watch. The directing is incompetent (to say it nicely), the script might as well be non-existent; you could adlib a better movie, The campy-ness is completely out of place, and basically every thing about every scene is garbage. I find it impossible to watch this movie in one sitting. I have to take it 15 to 20 mins at a time, it actually hurts to watch.

RB 226

robocop-figure4 nuke-black-thunder magnavolt
RoboBabylonAD
The Kid Goes Wild

Sgt-L4

Comment: Angry and Young...Under the Gun...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote

I wouldn't say the directing is incompetent.

The problem is that it's rudimentary.

I think people who've claimed "RoboCop 3" to feel less like a cinematic film and more like a film made for television are the ones who're absolutely right. It has a television quality to it, right down to the sanitation of the content but even more than that...it feels like a script-by-committee.

The biggest regret about "RoboCop 3," in hindsight, is the unfortunate fact that THAT is the big finale to the series and character as he was originally created.

I think Robocop, almost more than any other franchise of its kind with the exception of "Halloween," is the one that you could make the best argument for in terms of how it genuinely should've just ended with the first film.

Now I love all subsequent Robocop, from "2" and even parts of "3" to certain elements of "The Series" and "Prime Directives" and the remake...and as a concept, there was certainly the potential for longevity to keep going with more adventures. You've got a character very much in the tradition of Batman where you could give Robo a pantheon of villains to fight in the name of defending Detroit, taking its cues from Bob Morton's claim of Murphy having "a lifetime of on the street law enforcement programming" and crime certainly wouldn't intend to let up.

But simultaneously, you could've easily ended it with Verhoeven's film as a statement on the reclamation of humanity...the rekindling of the spirit within the machine.

No matter how many times I go through the process of sitting down to a "RoboCop" marathon of the films, I always end up feeling frustrated over the fact that Murphy is taken on this existential journey through the first film...gets beaten down by friend and foe alike only to rise up and transform from Robo back into Murphy in that euphoric moment where you can't help but cheer for him...and then you have to watch helplessly as he winds up conforming and falling right back into line in "Robo" status dealing with the Nuke epidemic right afterwards and so on. You see what I'm saying?

Back to "RoboCop 3"...it feels incredibly paint by numbers.

I remember how the original film was marketed to portray Robocop as a fully formed super hero...but the reality is that it was the sequels and the franchise after the fact that turned him into a super hero more than the first film really ever did.

To that end "RoboCop 3" plays like that. It's Robo as a super hero...with everything from an array of zany new gadgetry to Nikko as his plucky sidekick to Dr. Lazarus as his Alfred and the sinister villains that are evil out of obligation rather than as a social statement on capitalism.

Where "RoboCop" pushes boundaries, "RoboCop 3" is comfortably cradled well within them and it's a real shame.

And again, THAT's how the trilogy ends. It acts as though it's the epic, end all-be all battle for the soul of Old Detroit...but the reality is that "battle" is what exactly?

It's Robo flying in on his jetpack, blowing up one tank and gunning a handful of Splatterpunks down before flying into the OCP tower...watching helplessly as Nikko and Marie destroy the Otomo androids FOR him...and then him flying off like a chicken with the two of them as a failsafe bomb finishes the job. So in the grand scheme of things, Robo himself didn't do an awful lot to save the day in his own movie.

Now on the plus side, I do think the film opens very strongly, specifically with the idea of prolonging the moment until we finally see Robocop. It creates an almost mythic quality about the character.

"I don't think this is exactly a guy, Moreno."

"you think...it's HIM?"

There's a wonderful aura of mystery and suspense leading up to Robocop finally making his arrival.

But ultimately, it feels very predictable and deliberately tame.

For a send off for Robocop, it just feels so much smaller than it thinks it is...and it's a real shame.

RB 353

robocop-figure3 robocop-helmet auto9 nuke-red-ramrod robocop3-gunarm dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 dvd-robocop3
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote

RoboBabylonAD :

And again, THAT's how the trilogy ends. It acts as though it's the epic, end all-be all battle for the soul of Old Detroit...but the reality is that "battle" is what exactly?

I think all the sequels from the first film ended having interesting ideas, but they donīt develop them too well.

In the case of Robo3, the aspect of Murphy getting off the police force to help the people is a great concept. It would work incredibly well today, with all the riots on the streets and corruption from the people in suits. Sadly, as you point, it doesnīt go deep on it and they build all that thing to solve it in a few minutes. But I think the rating and the studio are guilty (Miller isnīt a "family" writer).

Same happens with the rest of the films: while Robo 2 have interesting parts, it ends as a mess. The Series has some nice episodes and some of the themes are interesting, but the execution wasnīt right (and the thing that amazes me is how they aimed for a PG audience but they do that "sex scene" in the pilot. I found it funny and "brave" if you compare with the tone of the whole thing). As for PD, Iīm one of the fews who see it with good eyes. Yes, theyīre 4 cheap films and theyīre well not directed, but they tried something. In this case, I think itīd be improved if other guy was directing the films. And RebootCop has cool themes as well, but they usually show them for a minute and then forget about them.

Back to Robo3, I kinda like how it ends. OCP is gone, so is Murphy free? Donīt like too much the last sentence "You can call me RoboCop", as it looks like they were trying to do the opposite of the end of the Verhoeven film, but I like that they tried to give RoboCop an end, killing the greedy corporation and leaving his past behind him.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboBabylonAD
The Kid Goes Wild

Sgt-L4

Comment: Angry and Young...Under the Gun...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote

I can definitely agree with your points, particularly with "Prime Directives."

Funny enough, your avvy...as much as it's freaking me out haha...is one of my favorite scenes.

That idea of Murphy's consciousness getting rebooted and triggering the memory of his own murder and the subsequent human reaction to it. It's a very powerful and haunting scene.

Could you imagine a scene like that...but performed by Peter Weller and done so in a more compelling, appropriately budgeted version?

Like you said, "Prime Directives" has a number of fantastic elements.

I like the idea of it being set 10 years after the events of the original film and I love that it involves Alex's son as a main character and the idea of him growing up to be a presence within the very company that's responsible for what happened to Murphy (not in the sense of killing him...that obviously falls to the feet of Boddicker...but in the sense of not letting him rest, utilizing him for the "RoboCop" program of their own volition).

I think you've pretty much summed up the key to this whole thing, my friend.

The "RoboCop" franchise is a prime example of promising potential that's ultimately failed by poor execution. Not because the ideas themselves are bad...but how they're handled just doesn't do them justice.

And we all know how RoboCop feels about a lack of justice Wink

RB 353

robocop-figure3 robocop-helmet auto9 nuke-red-ramrod robocop3-gunarm dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 dvd-robocop3
RoboTrap
OmniCon - A Silver Future

L-L2

Comment: RoboCop: The Future's Silver Lining

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:37 am Reply with quote

Robo was definitely a "one-and-done" type of film. Not that it didn't merit a sequel, but in order for one to work it would have had to abandon a lot of the iconography (terrifying thought for a film exec) and the odds of that happening weren't favorable. The sequels we got failed to grasp what made the film work as a whole, and especially didn't understand what made Murphy work. He has a clear, concise arc that ends with him reclaiming his humanity, and the sequels should have jumped off from that point instead of recycling the Robo character we had at the beginning of the first film.

RoboCop 2 only works if he did what OCP thought he was doing: disposing of his humanity. But he didn't! He was giving up the fight for recognition of his humanity, which is a very, very different thing, and something that wasn't touched upon for the rest of the movie. From a plot and story perspective, it just serves to reset him to RoboCop and that's that.

RoboCop 3 & The Series were continuations of that misstep with the character. The glimpse we got of Murphy in RC1 was of a warm man doing a hard job because he thought it needed to be done. I know it seems bizarre, but RoboCop 2 should have given us a Robo that split his off-duty time between the sadness what he's lost and just... being Murphy. Smiling, poking his partner in the ribs, being a human being.

I find it hard to picture, however it's what needed to happen for both the character and the franchise, and it's something they aggressively fought against to preserve what they thought was the appeal of the character.

Sorry Sarge, but they fucked up.

RB 13970

ultra1 robocop-figure4 lewis-figure RoboBadge ultra4 ultra5 ultra6
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote

RoboCop 3 gave us Robo driving a pink pimpmobile. That in itself is worth the price of admission.

I like the movie a little more now as a seasoned fan, but there's still too much of it I can't stand.

RB 549

Scratch Card
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote

RoboTrap :
I know it seems bizarre, but RoboCop 2 should have given us a Robo that split his off-duty time between the sadness what he's lost and just... being Murphy. Smiling, poking his partner in the ribs, being a human being.

Oh god. That sounds absolutely terrible and I hope nobody seriously wants to see that.

As cool a guy as Alex Murphy seemed to be before he got killed, it is the character of RoboCop that we love and with it comes a certain robotic personality.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
RoboTrap :
I know it seems bizarre, but RoboCop 2 should have given us a Robo that split his off-duty time between the sadness what he's lost and just... being Murphy. Smiling, poking his partner in the ribs, being a human being.

Oh god. That sounds absolutely terrible and I hope nobody seriously wants to see that.

As cool a guy as Alex Murphy seemed to be before he got killed, it is the character of RoboCop that we love and with it comes a certain robotic personality.

Agreed. R2 saw "Murphy" being human, but not being a silly one - other than when given the crazy directives. I rather enjoy the more subtle humanity of Murphy as in the beginning where he tells Lewis, "Lewis, hang it up." That's not a robotic line - that's a human line, and especially the way Weller delivers it.

Also, one of the things that RoboCop 2 is criticized for is one of the very things I love about it: "Murphy" is now the product. Sure, it's referred to as "RoboCop," but that's not the exploration of the product that's in R2. OCP attempted to strip him of his humanity yet it learned the hard way what happens when they make him something other than what he's not. Even the last line and Muprhy's socket wrenching of his helmet (probably to remove it, no less) give the irony of what he actually is.

R3 is pretty much what happens when you try to take RoboCop and just make an early teenager's comic book.

RB 549

Scratch Card
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote

The remake showed clearer than ever than Robo trying to get back his family is a dead end story, always leading to the same frustration.

The original films, specially the first one, were smarter not going through that path, just avoiding it or putting it aside. Murphy seems a nice guy before dying, yes, but what we have to understand is it works so well because it is generic, the audience can identify with Murphy instantly and feel his personal journey because he is more or less a normal guy. It is not that important who were his wife and son, he had a wife and son and he lost them, that's all you need, it makes the story more universal and mythical, the character is about man and machine, not about a particular individual before becoming machine.

It is not even important who was Murphy before dying, really, he was a brave cop, good partner, nice family man, you get all that in 2 or 3 scenes. But new reboot trends like amazing spiderman, man of steel and even batman begins, they want to give a full biography of the character before becoming a superhero, and make them more important and special before being important and special. Yet again Robo is not just another superhero, generic flashbacks of what was like being a man and having a family is all the character always needed.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
The remake showed clearer than ever than Robo trying to get back his family is a dead end story, always leading to the same frustration.

The original films, specially the first one, were smarter not going through that path, just avoiding it or putting it aside. Murphy seems a nice guy before dying, yes, but what we have to understand is it works so well because it is generic, the audience can identify with Murphy instantly and feel his personal journey because he is more or less a normal guy. It is not that important who were his wife and son, he had a wife and son and he lost them, that's all you need, it makes the story more universal and mythical, the character is about man and machine, not about a particular man before becoming machine.

It is not even important who was Murphy before dying, really, he was a brave cop, good partner, nice family man, you get all that in 2 or 3 scenes. But new reboot trends like amazing spiderman, man of steel and even batman begins, they want to give a full biography of the character before becoming a superhero, and make them more important and special before being important and special. Yet again Robo is not a normal superhero, generic flashbacks of what was like being a man and having a family is all the character always needed.

I'd certainly agree that generally speaking his identity isn't completely central to the story, but I won't go so far as to say that it's "unimportant". Also, one of the things that does set RoboCop apart from other characters is that Alex Murphy IS a particular person - not an everyman character. Alex Murphy isn't just a person, but he's the person that looks, acts, and speaks the way Weller portrayed him. R3 would have even been better served had the movie included the parts intended where the different face was to be explained.

I don't want to come across as too argumentative, especially given the main point of your post (which I do agree with). However, the points I listed above are things I feel very strongly about, especially having watched these movies so many times over so many years thinking very critically about them and just exactly why I like them so much.

RB 549

Scratch Card
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Great posts guys, especially RBAD and artu. I too agree that the real story of RoboCop, the family element included, was done as much as can be done in the first film, after that there's nothing to revisit on that level without being redundant or going in circles.

As said they could still build on that and come up with good stories and themes, but each time fell short in some form or other. Superquad pretty much hit it on how I view Robo-Murphy in R2, I felt it was just fine. Honestly though, no matter what you do, there's nothing that will touch the magic and balance of the original film, just not possible. I always thought a tweaked Corporate Wars story might have been close, but perhaps it too would have too much off the mark, who knows. That said..

Archive :
RoboTrap :

I always say I don't mind a bit of emotion and stuff, I too wouldn't want a weepy RoboCop, or even a weepy kind of RoboCop film. We got that in the Series and the reboot and while I like that angle, there's a level where it's just too much.. I'm wondering now if you can even have 'just a bit' of that and still have it work.. Artu was dead-on in that it's a road that only leads to frustration, hence why I always thought 'just a bit', minor, almost superficial service to it, would be acceptable, but even so, that headache would still happen. I agree dodging it was the smarter move. I still wouldn't have minded a bit more of a stamp, even on the 'dodge', but thinking about it these days, just not so sure.

Anyway, to stay on-point, I've always held RoboCop 3 weakest of the films primarily because it just doesn't feel like a RoboCop film to my eyes, doesn't feel like the original or R2, the tone and atmosphere just isn't the same, and isn't right. Whatever it is, direction, Jetpack, no Weller, no good villains, no hard violence or humor, some/all of the above, etc it's missing something there on a basic level, and ultimately seems to me more a generic action/cop/crime film with RoboCop in place of Max Payne or whoever you want to put in there. It's a film with RoboCop in it, but not a 'RoboCop' film. Really can't put it any other way.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Superquad7 :
I'd certainly agree that generally speaking his identity isn't completely central to the story, but I won't go so far as to say that it's "unimportant". Also, one of the things that does set RoboCop apart from other characters is that Alex Murphy IS a particular person - not an everyman character. Alex Murphy isn't just a person, but he's the person that looks, acts, and speaks the way Weller portrayed him. R3 would have even been better served had the movie included the parts intended where the different face was to be explained.

I don't want to come across as too argumentative, especially given the main point of your post (which I do agree with). However, the points I listed above are things I feel very strongly about, especially having watched these movies so many times over so many years thinking very critically about them and just exactly why I like them so much.

Obviously Peter Weller puts his face, voice and mannerisms, as any actor does, and he is a perfect casting choice.

But my point is all that is in the interest of making a fast impression of a character, as I said you can sum him up in 3 main traits: good cop (brave, dutiful and action oriented), good partner (Lewis and him develop an instant bond) and good family man (he talks about his son with Lewis, he has flashbacks of his family when dying). We are talking about few scenes and minutes, most of it is a long action scene (chasing the van and factory).

The film does not develop more because the character at that point does not need it, what is important is what happens to him (brutal murder) and what he becomes, Robocop.

Since that point the story is very mythical and universal, it talks about identity and humanity, but it never develops the idea of Murphy before death being a special and unique individual, just a generic good man the audience can relate to. Death and resurrection (first physical and then spiritual) is what happen to him, from there we start the journey.

The reboot is just unable to manage all those more minutes and greater importance given to Murphy and his family, because they did not understand what made the original work so well.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote

I'm with ya, artu. I too very much appreciate how simply and succinctly the original film handled its business. We know all we need to know about not only Murphy, but OCP, the city, the police, the world environment/tone, Jones, Morton, Boddicker, Lewis.. In fact about 80% of the film we get by about the 20 minute mark. A real crash course if you will. After that any further info's extraneous, doesn't add anything really. And most of the movie is that way, getting to things with purpose and speed. Yet it never feels rushed.. nor does it feel like anything's truly missing or left out. It's beautiful and brilliant. It's that wonderful, magic balance in play.

This coming from a guy who usually would like a lot of background fluff and crap, as I've said elsewhere. Strange, huh? Smile

On that point, that's something R3 certainly lacks in - the film isn't succinct, indeed it drags on at several times. Makes for a boring watch. The remakeboot was even worse in that regard in places. In fact I equate the new film with R3 in what I said previously, that it misses something on a basic level, misses that particular 'feel', and instead feels like a whatever action/crime flick. Bah, thats something else though.

R3 is still the worst on the films, plain and simple. R2 has it's many faults, but it has more in it I can look past and enjoy. Even with that aside, RoboCop 2, for whatever reason, still retains that original's 'feel' I speak of. R3, not.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote

What I like more of R3 is how they continue with the story of Detroit and Delta City, that is OCP taking over the city. That story arc is probably the thing that ties the original films together and gives some unity to them. At the end of R1 there is a police strike going on, and that's what we have at the beginning of R2.

Actually R1 creates a lot of expectation around Delta City, remember that conversation between Dick Jones and Clarence about everything going to kick off, millions of construction workers, etc. Robocop is the cop of Delta City, they should come together, they are the future.

I really felt disappointed when it looked clear the reboot script was discarding Delta City and the police strike.

Other than that it has been discussed many times what's wrong with R3, lots of things. I would point again the tone, which is very contradictory, for the most part of the film is very pessimistic and even dark, people expelled from their homes, a girl that lose her parents, refugees in churches, Robo gets his memory almost erased, OCP executives killing themselves, Lewis getting killed, we even have a teenager prositute because her father is unemployed... Seriously is any of that suitable for children AT ALL?

But as I said the tone is very contradictory, we get from time to time funny dialogues and action clearly aimed at children, and everything it gets too flashy and fantastic with gunarm, jetpacks, ninja robots... The little girl genius that saves everyone with her computer, including Robo, etc. etc. There is no point in mentioning all again. At the end the battle between people+cops and rehabs+criminals is too over the top, it was epic when I was a kid, but it really doesnīt make much sense.

RB 6857

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard