New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Murphy's face.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

RoboTrap
OmniCon - A Silver Future

L-L2

Comment: RoboCop: The Future's Silver Lining

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote

It's been mentioned on the DVDs that the logic of keeping Murphy's face was so that the subconscious part of the human brain operating the system (which would always instinctively know it was human) wouldn't go insane upon seeing a non-human face in the mirror. Plus, it makes Robo easier to relate to, not just as an audience member, but as a good 'ol citizen of Old Detroit.

RB 13970

ultra1 robocop-figure4 lewis-figure RoboBadge ultra4 ultra5 ultra6
Law Giver
Law Master of Aquilonia

L-L4

Comment: Boob Snortin' and Dicky Boy

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote

Well if they completely blanked out its memory how would it subconsciously remember it was even once human? He was product, a machine nothing more, least that was idea.

RB 723

judge-dredd-lawgiver conan-sword punisher-skull conan-sword2 terminator-skull Rambo-Knife
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote

LG :
Well if they completely blanked out its memory how would it subconsciously remember it was even once human? He was product, a machine nothing more, least that was idea.

As Trap said, because it has a human brain, it would by instinct know it was human, if only on completely subconscious or even non-conscious level. Memory and instinct are not the same thing.

Besides, they only thought they blanked his memory. Nonetheless, I think blanking his memory was more to eliminate the 'Alex Murphy' part out of him - Destroying his identity, who he once was. I don't believe it could completely destroy the fact that he was still part human. Suppress it maybe, but not eliminate it entirely. I imagine they would have liked to do that, though - but hey, that's what you get when you put a human in a machine, ain't it? tongue

Now, as the 'official' answer says, if Robo-Murphy did remember he was human once and saw a non-human face (or even no face) and then had some psychological break that fucks up his delicate programming and destroys him, that would be bad. So the face, on a practical level, acts as an additional element to aid in keeping his psyche in-check. A fail-safe, if you will.

Trap also hit it on the head with the public-relation point as well. Good job.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote

This is why I wish there was chat. Because what I have to say is too much to type all at once here. Actually I don't even know that I could convey myself properly. But main thing is that if they had technology to use a human brain to run a humanoid robot and sustain the brain. God I can't even wrap my mind around it. Why wouldn't they just use a complete machine like a terminator? See here I go, gotta stop now. The whole brain to control this thing is just too outlandish. Can't stop........ OK stopping.

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:05 am Reply with quote

That was the entire purpose of ED-209. It is not only to provide an obstacle for Robo to overcome later on, or an opportunity for Morton to swing in and get his project fast tracked.

It showed that a purely mechanical solution lacked even the slightest nuance necessary to do its job. ED didn't hear the gun drop, so he opened fire. ED clearly has visual sensors (or at the very least, a sonar-type system for object and motion detection) that should have picked up Kinney disarming himself, but that small inconsistency between its sensors resulted in ED shooting first and asking questions later.

A cyborg offered all of the physical, practical and psychological advantages of a mechanical officer, but with the judgment and gut instinct of a flesh and blood man, all kept in check with the Prime Directives to keep him from bending the rules too much.

RB 13970

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote

Yes, yes, yes I know that and your explanation is pretty much spot on. I'm just sayin....... They got a brain runnin a humanoid machine, but they're drivin around tauruses. Cracks me up.

RB 9924

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote

RoboDemise :
They got a brain runnin a humanoid machine, but they're drivin around tauruses. Cracks me up.

I got ya man, but frankly, what would you have 'em driving for squad cars when they shot the movie in the mid 1980s? Flying DeLoreans? tongue

Bah, never mind - Off-point.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:17 am Reply with quote

Police cars were big, blocky, ugly things when RoboCop was made. When the Crown Vic went back into production (and subsequently became the de facto police vehicle) it took many of its styling cues from the Taurus.

At least they never used the car they built specifically for Robo... that thing was a friggin' joke!

RB 13970

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote

Anybody know how much Robo is supposed to weigh. It's just like in terminator, this real heavy machine gets in and out of a car, or on a motorcycle, and the suspension doesn't sag or lean anymore than if a normal person was getting into or onto them.

RB 9924

Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote

Right question Demise ! ( I m here really long time but really dont know the answer )

But of the things we had chance to see in films and series .. I think he is much more lighter then Terminator !

In the R1 we can to see Lewis what did not have problem help him get into the car when he was running from Jones .

In Robocop 2,3 he was carried by a few persons . In R3 it was three guys oh also Niko managed to carry his leg Laughing

Robocop the series it managed also two men ..

well so the summary .. he is probably lighter than Terminator
I was reading somewhere it is 200kg . so how it is ? knows someone ?

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote

200Kg (440Lbs) is actually fairly heavy. I'd say he's supposed to be lighter than that, though maybe not by much. I wouldn't say he's lighter than the Terminator, as the Terminator is meant to be much closer to human weight, but I would think RoboCop really ain't as heavy as some might think.

That figure sounds like it's off the breakdown picture of RoboCop that we've seen before, though I thought it said 200 Lbs. Confused I don't remember, and I can't seem to find that picture right now.

In any case, that might be worth starting another topic for, actually. I thought there was one like that somewhere but there doesn't seem to be.

RB 52679

RoboTrap

L-L2

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote

PD said he weighed about 500 pounds, but really, that's far too heavy to be able to drive around in the standard police cars. I think it seems feasible for Robo to be between 200 and 300 pounds, considering the higher level of robotics technology in the films and Robo's armored skin.

Honda's ASIMO has some specs online, including its prototypes...

In 1996, ASIMO weighed in at 463 pounds (210kg) at a height of 6 feet (183cm).

In '97, ASIMO stood 5'4" (163cm) and weighed 287lbs (130kg).

Circa 2000, ASIMO was four feet tall (122cm) and weighed 115lbs (52kg).

ASIMO is now 4'3" (130cm) and weighs 119lbs (54kg).

RB 13970

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote

Now all we need is the specs if Asimo was wrapped in titanium laminated with kevlar. And a couple feet taller.

RB 9924

ant
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Comment: I am RoboAnt!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote

RoboTrap :
Police cars were big, blocky, ugly things when RoboCop was made. When the Crown Vic went back into production (and subsequently became the de facto police vehicle) it took many of its styling cues from the Taurus.

At least they never used the car they built specifically for Robo... that thing was a friggin' joke!
Is there a video clip/photograph of this ugly car? Very Happy

RB 2616

cake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard