New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Would Murphy as Robo swear?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spectrum Scarlet
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

SIMPY 4 PIMPY

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote

by the end of the first film, he of course retained his humanistic voice, tones and patterns. as a human being, Murphy would definitely of used foul language, in any situation. would he though, as RoboCop, do the same?

apologies if this has been discussed already. would appreciate a link to the topic if it has.

RB 2500

hamburger batman-card comic2-robocop comic4-robocop
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote

No, I don't think this has come up really. If it has come up I don't remember it.

It's actually a decent point, though a minor one. In any case I think that Robo could curse, but I just don't think he actually would. Murphy didn't let out one cuss word in the short amount of time he was around. To me, Murphy just never seemed like the type that would need to curse out much, if at all, and I think the need would be far less so as RoboCop.

So yeah - I think he can do it, but just wouldn't.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote

Murphy's morals, witty personality and humor and sayings remained with him for R1 and R2, so it was all Murphy from a certain point. Even in R1 when he wasnt, he still had traces of his personality, so hed surely use a foul language if hed want to

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :

To me, Murphy just never seemed like the type that would need to curse out much, if at all, and I also think the need would be far less so as RoboCop.

Well... We have a whole 10 minutes of actual Murphy so I don't think that we really know how he was at all. For all we know he was a dick who swore left and right. He was pretty cocky with Lewis afterall. I really don't have an answer to this... I know what I want the answer to be...

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote

Well, there were several instances when he could have gone sailor-speak and didn't, so that's just the conclusion I came to. Murphy just doesn't seem like the cursing type really. Just my take though. Indeed we don't really know given the short amount of time he's on there, I'll give ya that.

But, as RoboCop, I'm sure he certainly can curse, but again, just never has the need for it.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote

Wait, didn't Murphy say "shit" when he and Lewis were denied back up for the second time in R1? I can't remember and I was drunk the last time I saw it.

RB 464

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote

He just said, Oh, man! in a harsh this-is-bullshit tone. That's all.

The guy's practically a fucking choir boy! tongue

RB 52679

Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:21 am Reply with quote

Yeah true. I think he'd curse over a baseball game before he'd ever say something explicit in anger.

Robo on the other hand. Most of my brain says there is even further evidence that he wouldn't curse, but my gut says that if he were given the right moment, he would use one "bad word" appropriately.

RB 464

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
Officer Harvey
Metro West District, Detroit Police Department, OCP

O-L1

Comment: I'm not in a Labor Union. I'm a Police Officer. I Don't Strike.

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote

Murphy didn't come off as the one to utilize harsh language. The brief time we saw him as ALEX Murphy spoke volumes of him: high devotion to duty and family, somewhat naive, otherwise a wholesome individual.

RB 25

Swedish Robot
C-L2

C-L2

Comment: Formerly Draliseth

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote

Alex Murphy :
Buddy, I think you're slime.

I think he kinda gets a kick out of being an asshole without having to outright be vulgar. Kind of the old badass with manners.

So.. Murphy swearing? I dun think so. Unless he just stubbed his toe.. but now his toe stubs everything else so..

SWEDISH ROBOT INDUSTRIES

RB 320

Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote

Good point Dral, good point.

Actual evidence (sorta) to support a claim.

RB 464

MurphysGal
Sgt-L5*

Sgt-L5*

Comment: Stay Out of Trouble

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote

I don't think he would swear or at least not any of the really bad words, even though we only saw a little of him before he was killed, i just don't see Alex Murphy saying those kinds of words

RB 272

Philip17
And the Masters of the Universe

L-L2

Comment: Its a good day to die!

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote

Well, as Murphy, we can understand he doesnīt talk mutch, just the necessary.
And as Robocop, he even has less reason to talk, and since he only says what is necessary, and keeps it short, I donīt see the point of he swearing with bad words or similar stuff.

That is almost as asking if he can point us his midle finger, he could do it, but he doesnt need to.

When duty calls; you pay the price!
Join today!

RB 537

sgt-reed Masters-Skeletor Masters-Sword SW-Imperial
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Philip17 :
That is almost as asking if he can point us his midle finger, he could do it, but he doesnt need to.

And that whole scene in R1 where Robo bypasses Cecil and plugs into the "computer" with his "jack", isn't a metaphor for anything?

Robo, not Murph, has some attitude. No doubt about that.

RB 464

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard