New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Would Murphy as Robo swear?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Steve Freeling
Patriarch of the Freeling clan

O-L2

Comment: Let's give him what he wants.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote

In one of the later comics, he calls a Terminator a "motherfucker" but that immediately struck me as being out of character for him.

RB 237

game-xbox
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote

Maybe he is the only character in R1 that doesn't swear?

I can't remember off the top of my head - does Lewis even swear?

RB 4892

Ed-260
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote

Steve Freeling :
In one of the later comics, he calls a Terminator a "motherfucker" but that iimmediately struck me as being out of character for him.

Yes, in Robocop Terminator: Kill Human, Robo does curse and say a lot of other goofy stuff that it out of character. You could theorize this one of two ways: either its terrible writing, or represents a Robocop that has aged to a point where the original brain has degraded and his personality is simply a computer simulation. I tend to go with the latter theory.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Steve Freeling

O-L2

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote

Edd 209 :
Maybe he is the only character in R1 that doesn't swear?

I can't remember off the top of my head - does Lewis even swear?

Once in RoboCop, she says, "Sorry, Sarge. I fucked up." Another time in RoboCop 2, she says, "The son of a bitch is getting away with it. We can't even touch him." I think that's about all the swearing she does, though.

RB 237

game-xbox
NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: White Noise, Black Thunder, Blue Velvet or Red Ramrod?

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote

The RoboCop character "does" swear in RoboCop 2. When he and RoboCain come crashing out the top of the building and Robo is left hanging on to RoboCain on the edge of the building...during that precise first distance shot you can clearly hear "shit!".

I've always wondered that was supposed to be. Why is it in there? Smile

RB 3079

nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet magnavolt hamburger
Steve Freeling

O-L2

Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote

NukeLord :
The RoboCop character "does" swear in RoboCop 2. When he and RoboCain come crashing out the top of the building and Robo is left hanging on to RoboCain on the edge of the building...during that precise first distance shot you can clearly hear "shit!".

Good ears there.

RB 237

game-xbox
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:03 am Reply with quote

NukeLord :

Actually you just hear someone saying 'shit' - I'm not sure that's actually Weller saying it though.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Steve Freeling

O-L2

Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
NukeLord :

Actually you just hear someone saying 'shit' - I'm not sure that's actually Weller saying it though.
I might have to check that scene out to see if it's Murphy or not.

RB 237

game-xbox
NukeLord
L-L2

L-L2

Comment: White Noise, Black Thunder, Blue Velvet or Red Ramrod?

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
NukeLord :

Yeah I know. Smile It's why I quoted the "does" in my first sentence. Smile

Often wondered how it got in there? Is it supposed to be the RoboCop character? (I doubt it!) Is a post-production staff member having a joke/winking at the audience? (Probably!) Why is it in there? How did it make it in there? Lol.

At 1.12 in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goAKO2YEGnI

RB 3079

nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet magnavolt hamburger
Steve Freeling

O-L2

Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote

I don't think it's Weller.

RB 237

game-xbox
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Well, not that we should care about that, but in one of the Game Over cutscenes (on the final level, I think) for the Titus game he does clearly say "Oh, shit!".

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote

This is a really interesting point, not only from the perspective of a cyborg using human vernacular, but from the perspective of Murphy being somewhat of a boy scout personality when he was alive, AND the notion that once Murphy's humanity returns, that he is still pretty emotionally reserved in the movies (whether that is a result of his cyborg brain giving him limited emotionality or not). We know he gets upset and responds emotionally (elevated or reduced tone of voice, volume, facial expressions that express a range of emotion)), and he claims to feel things (memories of his family, life before his murder) and unlike the Robocop 2 reprogramming scenes where he was being manipulated by too many directives, his emotional responses are real not simulated. This is a credit to Weller's acting and the direction; he walks the fine line from being machine and man.
Anyway, I imagine that Murphy (alive), Robocop (machine) and Robocop with Murphy's humanity restored would be unlikely to curse. It just doesn't seem to be in the nature of any of those identities. I imagine that if he did, it would be akin to Ultra Magnus saying "damn it" in Transformers: The Movie, at a time of true desperation. You would think that he would have cursed when Cain's gang chopped him apart, but he didn't. That's badass!

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote

I'm glad you brought this up now RoboJOF, because there is a recent example that reminds me of this situation immensely. In the trailer for the new Star Trek Picard series, 7 of 9 appears at the end and asks "where the hell have you been?" This is significant since she never would have said that on Voyager, the show that 7 is from. She, like Robocop, is technically a cyborg and she was a member of the Borg before the Voyager cast rescued her and helped her regain her humanity. But back then it was never a complete return to humanity, she still spoke in a very stiff and machine-like way and only regained was starting to speak more casually... kind of like Robocop in Robocop 2 and 3. So for her to say "where the hell have you been?" is a way of showing how much she has grown and become 'more' human over the past couple decades.

I could totally see all of that applying to Robocop. Part of the problem in discussing this is the main Robocop properties never get nearly deep enough into his character development to reach that point. We see Robo who now goes by Murphy, but he is still more machine than man in many ways. Some might argue his growth is complete, once he starts going by Murphy he's crossed the threshold back to humanity but his personality will always be dominated by the machine. I, however, never doubted that Robocop would continue to develop more and more of his humanity, personality, and old self over time as long as nothing (like a hard reset of his program) stopped that. A few of the comics, and arguably Alpha Commando, have gone that direction, to mixed results, while other shows and comics have shown him years later and still the same old stiff robotic Murphy. So the jury's out on exactly how Robocop's mind and personality would progress.

Imagine if, in the new Robocop Returns film, there is a scene where some OCP executive is trying to tell Robocop to do. He says,"get back here, we own you!" and then Robo replies "fuck off" Would that be out of character for him? Yes. But would it make sense for his character? Also yes! Because it would, like the 7 of 9 example from before, show how much more of his humanity he has regained since we last saw him. And the reason the curse words specifically are so good at showing this is because that is the language that was forbidden to them. 7 and Robo were not programmed to curse, so cursing for them could be an empowering way of defying their programming and expressing themselves.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard