New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

New RoboCop TV series in the works ??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    INDEX -> Front Page - Featured Topics
Nash
L-L3

L-L3

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote

Spyglass are close to taking over the financially troubled MGM and Spyglass head honchos Gary Barber and Roger Birnbaum, the gents behind such films as "The Sixth Sense" and "Wanted", will serve as Co-Chairman and CEOs of the embattled studio following its emergence from bankruptcy.

Should shareholders approve of the pre-packaged Bankruptcy plan, the new-and-improved MGM will likely get to work swiftly on the long-awaited "Hobbit" and James Bond films. It will take about 30 days after the deal goes through for MGM to officially escape the red patch, so don't expect to hear anything about the "Rings" prequel or the new Daniel Craig-starring 007 movie until December at the earliest.

But in addition to films, Variety says MGM are adding a list of TV spin-off's to their to-do roster. On the way are new TV series based on "RoboCop", one based on Thomas Harris' "Silence of the Lambs", and another based on [WTF] the Oscar Winning "Dances with Wolves".

The "Wolves" one is a head-scratcher - what could they possibly do with that!? A mini-series, in the vein of "Lonesome Dove", might work but a fully-fledged series based on the adventures of 'Dances' and Stands-with-a-fist? That I have to see.

A "Silence of the Lambs" TV series might also be interesting. Assumingly, MGM don't have the thumbs up to tell stories from Harris' other Lecter books, so the TV show would have to solely fix on Hannibal's incarcerated adventures from "Lambs" - and whatever new stories they come up with. Picturing a young Rachel Nichols or Dakota Fanning playing plucky rookie FBI Agent Clarice Starling who, week after week, seeks Hannibal the Cannibal's advise in capturing the baddie of the week.

"RoboCop"? no surprise there. The Paul Verhoeven film has spawned quite a few series - including, most recently, a fairly decent TV mini-series titled "RoboCop : Prime Directives". With Darren Aronofsky's film version stalled, not surprising to hear MGM are pushing to get the metal giant back on... well, any screen. Like Rocky and Inspector Clouseau, Robo's one of their strongest properties.

Again, it won't be before Christmas until we start hearing about some of Spyglass/MGM's new film and TV series plans.

Source:
http://www.moviehole.net/201026867-new-robocop-tv-series-in-the-works

I don't want to have a Robocop TV series because it doesn't (quality and money wise.
Even if they make an R-rated Robocop it will still be terrible.
The thing is that most people think that Robocop is a superhero but he isn't, he's like the Terminator.We all know what happend with the Terminator Series.

A new movie will certainly work from a financial pont of view, but a series based on robocop is not the answer.

If they begin to understand that Robocop is not a superhero than the studios bosses can begin to talk

RB 5709

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Hope they´ll do it! A -NEW- TV Series? Hell, why not! Hope they´ll mix the production of the 94 series and the violence of PD... A R rated RoboCop series would be awesome (if they hire good writers...).

We are watching some quality, mature series in all those years, so I have faith if they´re going to make it. Very Happy

RB 11986

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote

That is pretty shocking. Honestly didn't see that coming.
Could be interesting now that tv series doesn't have to be watered down and can involve all kinds of themes and topics. ( That is if they target it at a mature audience. )

But keep it out of the hands of Canada and the Fireworks Entertainment crew for the love of god. They had two chances already and they blew it both times.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote

If it was an HBO or showtime series I could see it being good. Other than that it would just be watered down and low budget. Interesting news all the same, I 'm not holding my breath though.

RB 10024

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote

That article says that PD was "fairly decent".

Er... no it wasn't. It was total fucking garbage.

Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

<shudder>

A TV series won't work anyway, even if it is violent and adult orientated. How can they fill a 22 episode season with different stories or one long running story and strech it out for 22 episodes? It will suck major ass. A new movie is the only way to go. Otherwise, I'd be happier if they didn't do anything with RoboCop, we've had enough embarassment as it is already.

RB 19226

DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Again, some big news with mixed feelings about it...

Robo' TV series? Again? Oh...

They should start it from scratch, Ignore R#3, 1994's series, PD etc. Make a solid plotline, reoccurring though series. Make it R-rated. Satirize ills of contemporary society etc.

RB 523

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote

It would probably take a origin approach and start from scratch. Introduce more characters from the beginning and build a more solid and extended plot.

Potentially they could have a main villain in the veins of the "Dexter" show that is at large for the entire season instead of introducing a "freak of the week" that is otherwise common.

RB 348711

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote

I don't know whether to be shocked at this news, happy, or laughing my ass off. Well I can say I'm not too happy at least.

Paddy :
A TV series won't work anyway, even if it is violent and adult orientated. How can they fill a 22 episode season with different stories or one long running story and strech it out for 22 episodes? It will suck major ass. A new movie is the only way to go. Otherwise, I'd be happier if they didn't do anything with RoboCop, we've had enough embarassment as it is already.

I'm afraid this man said it. We're not gonna get any quality RoboCop series, at least not for too long. It's just not possible, the dynamic just can't be done in the case of RoboCop. Violence-filled or not, there's just no way to continually come up with decent stories (or keep on a general story, for that matter) without delving into some goofy or insane shit as filler. The original Series made the best attempt and they clearly showed they couldn't think up enough decent stuff the whole time, and they only made one season. The budget didn't matter - the original Series had quite high budgets and production value - Yet it still stunk because there's just no way to keep RoboCop fresh on a continual, episodic level without going way off in the weeds at times - Marvel comics for example.

Positively speaking, a series could be good. The original one wasn't a horrible attempt. But realistically speaking, I have serious doubts about it's viability. Especially considering this is coming from the same people that say they're going to make 'Silence of the Lambs' and 'Dances with Wolves' into TV shows.. Please. The Lambs show sounds like it'll be a semi-ripoff of Criminal Minds with more focus on less characters and counting more on franchise recognition than content (Gee, that sounds familiar). This discounting the fact there are plenty enough crime/investigation shows as it is. Dances with Wolves? A TV show? Bah, I won't even go there.

With violence, dark tones and adult themes, RoboCop could work as a TV show, but it's longevity would be questionable at best. I don't think they can keep the quality of the storytelling up the whole time and that will lead to horribly cheesy and dumbass crap they use in the meantime. A RoboCop repeat of Terminator SCC is not what anybody wants here. I could be wrong, part of me hopes I am. A movie is what this property really needs so I automatically think they're taking the wrong path. I guess we wont know anything for sure for a while though, so like Demise, I'm not holding my breath either.

Thanks for the news of course Nash.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Diesel_85
R-L3

R-L3

Comment: Can you fly Bobby??

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote

A new tv series.... well its better than nothing i guess... aslong as it doesn't come out like the PD series... grab a coupleof decent writers... and a decent actor to play Robocop... they hire page fletcher then we riot....

they need to put Robo out there... bring in new fans aswel as please the loyal hardcore fans... sadly they tend to fuck this up everytime they try it... but here's hoping.. i'll watch anything Robo... even when its crap... because i love the character & keep thinking that if we buy it then more will be invested into it in the future... wishful thinking?

peace

RB 26

marvel-wolverine
robomole
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Comment: I AM THE MOLE!

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote

I am honestly not sure what I think about this yet. Shows like Dexter do give me hope about the idea though. It only has 12 episodes a season so it forces the writers to make every episode count. It is also on Showtime so there are no restrictions on content. I believe with this sort of format there is a possibility for this to be the best thing to ever happen to Robo. On the flip side, it could end up on normal television and be a 22 episode long, drawn out, watered down mess. It has been a while since Robo 3 and PD, so this show will be what is most fresh in people's minds. So if they screw it up too bad, it could ruin any possibility of a good incarnation of Robo happening in the future. Not to be too dramatic but I have a feeling this this will either be a huge breath of fresh air for the RoboCop franchise, or the death of it for quite some time.

RB 924

xena hitman-agent47
Robo_1
R-L3

R-L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote

Well this news totally blind sided me!

My first thought was a proper Vader "Noooooooooooo", but then when I think about what I spend most of my time watching, shows like 24, Battlestar Galactica and even stuff like the Terminator & Blade series were actually rather decent.

Give it a good budget, a solid story arc and a good creative team both behind and in front of the camera, and I'm there. Oh and please, make sure season one wraps up the story. Not knowing how the Terminator series ends still grates me.

RB 262

Gizmo
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: Robocop and Gizmoduck are awesome!

Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote

RoboDemise :
If it was an HBO or showtime series I could see it being good. Other than that it would just be watered down and low budget. Interesting news all the same, I 'm not holding my breath though.

I agree. A new TV series would be exciting IF it has a good budget and has good stories as well, but if not, it would probably be depressing to watch. nothanks

I'm not going to hold my breath either, but IF a new RoboCop series is produced, I personally hope that it not only has good stories, but has ED-209 or an enforcement droid similar to ED-209 in it occasionally. I always like to see Robo fight an enforcement droid! Smile

Thanks for the update Nash.

RB 15

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote

Mehhh..Whatever,Good scoop anyways Nash.

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote

thumb2 thumb2

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard