New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

All RoboCop cameos and cultural references
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Some (idiots) decided in wikipedia to remove all the cameos and cultural references from the RoboCop article. I'm not gonna fight for it since I hate wikipedia editing fights. In the last edit historial you can see how they removed it, the explanation in the discussion-talk page is this one:

Quote:
I allowed this section to stick last time around but now I think it's better to do away with it completely. As previously said, it's no more than a veiled "trivia" magnet. It's nearly impossible to stop this from growing out of control. If RoboCop has had a notable impact one or more aspects of popular culture, or the development of certain media as a whole, than it is worth mentioning, but simply citing references and quotes across television shows and video games is non-notable in my opinion. --Steerpike

So I've thought that to prevent all this info to get lost we should compile it here, and we may also expand it in the future.

I also may put pictures of each cameo-reference in the future, or if you find them put them here.

FILM/TV

An episode of Beavis and Butt-head has Beavis & Butt-head watching a RoboCop clone called Iron Justice. Beavis is nearly killed when he attempts RoboCop's signature stunt of crashing through a wall. In another episode, Beavis and Butt-head were watching a RoboCop episode, where he saved Christmas from criminals.

In the Simpsons episode "Future-Drama", police chief Clancy Wiggum becomes a RoboCop.

In another Simpsons episode, "Kill the Alligator and Run", a cyborg very obviously based on RoboCop called "The Cyborganizer" appears on a TV show being watched by Homer.

An episode of Saved By The Bell Screech wears a RoboCop-type costume and calls himself "RoboScreech".

A the Red Dwarf Series III episode of "Polymorph" the main character, Lister, is changed into a superhuman to ward off a shape shifting alien. This transformation turns him into a "Half Human/Half Robocop" like hero.

A Family Guy episode parodies the scene in which Murphy is tortured by the gang members.

In an episode of Sailor Moon, a POV shot through Sailor Mercury's visor displays RoboCop's Primary Directives and references the scene where the camera shows RoboCop's POV while arresting a criminal.

In the popular webseries Red vs. Blue there is a shot from the point of view of the character of Lopez, a Spanish robot, where three directives are displayed as RoboCop's are:
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES
FIX EVERTHING
HATE THE ORANGE ONE
CALL MOM MORE OFTEN

RoboCop's modified Beretta 93R (Auto-9) is briefly featured in the movie Sin City, where the character Hartigan (Bruce Willis) looks at the weapons in a car stolen from two thugs. Frank Miller, who worked on the last two RoboCop movies also wrote, produced, and directed Sin City. [actually I think this is half wrong, I remember someone said the Auto-9 used in the movie wasn't a modified Beretta 93R but a modified Beretta 92, that is also why it had single shot mode].

Bixby Snyder's catchphrase "I'd buy that for a dollar!" is quoted verbatim at the end of the McDonald's "Dollar Menuaires" promotion featuring Jeremy Miller.

Paul Teutal Junior, from the series American Chopper often says the line "I'd buy that for a dollar" when he's made/seen something he really likes.

In the UK comedy series Spaced, there is an episode when main characters Tim and Mike are building a robot wars robot, they parody the POV robocop contruction scene with the camera looking through the robots eyes as they attatch the LED

RoboCop once appeared in a WCW wrestle show. It was a small cameo where Robo gets to "save" one of the wrestlers who was put in a cage by some other bad-guy wrestlers. It all came out very strange and surreal.

RoboCop appeared as a toy in the "Indian in the Cupboard" movie. He came alive for just 10 seconds saying "halt" and shooting bad guys in the Cupboard. Other toys in the scene were Darth Vader and a T-Rex.

RoboCop appeared in the Popular Show "BAYWATCH" on a convention center, during the time RoboCop: the series was still popular.

In an episode of Angel the gang capture an assassin cyborg and the lab is examing it. One of them says "They're working on Robocop."

In an episode of Jake 2.0 two bad guys interrogate Jake, one asks "Think you could out smart a bullit?" to which Jake replies "That's a line from Robocop". Indeed it is, Emil says it to the gas station attendant.

The Scottish comedian Rikki Fulton plays "Supercop" who is anything but "Super". He says "The names Supercop, not Robocop".

The Auto-9 appears in the film "Dracula 3000" when one of the characters grabs it from a display.

In The Critic, RoboCop is parodied as "Roboclapper".

Video games

The multiplayer mode character Cyborg Chimp in Timesplitters: Future Perfect is a parody of RoboCop. It even has a banana in its concealed holster.

In the video game, Project Snowblind, the character of Nathan Frost is similar to that of RoboCop/Alex Murphy. Like Murphy's dedication as a police officer, Nathan Frost is a promising soldier that gets killed at beginning of the game only to get revived as a cyborg.

The expansion to the popular MMORPG World of Warcraft has robotic enemies called Arcane Patrollers in the Blood Elf starting area. When attacking, they often say one of Robocop's Prime Directives.

The title character of the 1991 video game James Pond 2: Codename RoboCod spoofs RoboCop.

Books

The Flemish comic Suske en Wiske had an issue that spoofed RoboCop. This issue was named Robotkop, which translates to robothead.

Dorfl, the golem Watchman in the Discworld novel Feet of Clay has numerous similarities to Robocop. Most notably, he lists his three directives as "To Serve The Public Trust, Protect The Innocent, And Seriously Prod Buttock". He also paraphrases some of Weller's lines from the film: "Somewhere, A Crime Is Happening," and "Undead Or Alive, You Are Coming With Me."

RoboCop was parodied by DC comic antihero Lobo in a special 1994 mini-series called "LoboCop".

Culture

The term RoboCop has become a description of rough justice on various crime. In England, Middlesbrough mayor Ray Mallon is often nicknamed "RoboCop" due to his controversial policy against crime.

Swedish former ice hockey player Ulf Samuelsson was nicknamed "Robocop" because of his tough playing style.

Only ED-209 (I separate it from the rest)

The ED-209 is referenced several times by The Daily Show and makes appearances in episodes of Family Guy, South Park and The Simpsons.

The Protoss Dragoon unit in StarCraft, if clicked on multiple times will quote the warning given to an armed suspect by ED-209: "Drop your weapon; you have fifteen seconds to comply."

The Terran Goliath unit in StarCraft, if clicked on multiple times, mentions "MilSpec ED-209". The unit itself is very similar in appearance to the ED-209.

The Game Deus Ex features the "Delta-2 Peacebringer" robot that is very similar to the design of ED-209.

In an episode of Mystery Science Theatre 3000, Joel (Hodgeson) and the Bots, Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo, during an opening sequence are reciting nighttime prayers "...God bless C-3PO, and God bless ED-209, although I don't know why anyone would make a robot that couldn't walk down stairs..."

In Age of Empires, a cheat can be used to summon a "Zug 209", which is similar in appearance to the ED-209.

iI the videogame Destroy All Humans the drones that patrol the city and attack the player spout out the line "you have 15 seconds to comply".

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
SiR-ROUND
ABC WARRIOR

OCP3 - L3

Comment: Oh my god! They killed Kinney!

OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Great stuff Artu, thanks! So you need hard evidence to go along with the stories?

RB 3346

judge-dredd judge-dredd-lawgiver judge-dredd-abcwarrior RoboCain-v2 terminator-endo terminator-skull evildead-book2 klf-album1
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote

Great stuff there Artu. Stupid Wikipedia (the only reason I go on it is for spoilers and plots etc).

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote

ahh Very interesting post Artu . I really read something first time .. thanks for it man !! Smile

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
murphy38
OCP1 - L2

OCP1 - L2

Archive Traitor

OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote

Very Happy yes very nice job!
good stuff!
thank's for the very good information my friend!
really! Wink

RB 2354

tiny-cop robocop-head alex-murphy RoboBadge baby-food award
Mephisto
DC-L1

DC-L1

Comment: Former Co-Admin and all around asshole.

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote

Damn fine job artuditu. thumb1

That is a very informative addition to the messageboard.

RB 495

Dr. 2-1B
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote

This is a great thread idea...lots of great info...thanks so much Artuditu.... Very Happy

RB 684

RoboBadge
Burnout
C-L4

C-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote

Awsome info Artu! Also of note for the videogames section is a lil tidbit I remember from the old board. Im not sure who posted it, cause it wasent me and I dont want to take credit, but in the video game Destroy All Humans you fight these drones that patrol the city and attack you. They spout out the line from the movie "you have 15 seconds to comply". Heres a quick pic.

RB 5860

game-xbox360 Ed-260 doctor-who-dalek ED-209-3D darkman-figure judge-dredd TMNT
nogga_nootch
C-L3

C-L3

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote

more for TV

Paul Teutal Junior, from the series American Chopper often says the line "I'd buy that for a dollar" when he's made/seen something he really likes.

in the uk comedy series spaced, there is an episode when main characters Tim and Mike are building a robot wars robot, they parody the POV robocop contruction scene with the camera looking through the robots eyes as they attatch the LED

RB 100

ED-209
R-L2

R-L2

Topic Necromancer

Comment: OCP Enforcement Droid Series 209

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote

RB 1610

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Great stuff guys. And the Simpsons pics are great ED.

RB 17812

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Well I added the ones you have said, and I also added the ones that Archive had in the site, I even link to the pics from the site: http://www.robocoparchive.com/info/funtoknow.htm

Roboduck actually I was thinking that maybe I should remove the Deus Ex robot that looks to ED-209 since I've seen some pics of it, in fact he is no other thing that a bipedal chicken-walk robot which has fire weapons as arms... I'm not sure we should add every Robot that looks like ED since there has to be hundreds of them... I added goliath from Starcraft because he says a line that references directly ED-209 and the Zug 209 of Age of Empires because the 209 in his name.

Don't know, what do you people think? I remove the Deus Ex robot or we include every robot that is bipedal and has fireweapons as arms?

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote

I see your point so mods, if you are out there, feel free to delete my post.

RB 17812

Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote

Great . so I big fan to the Simpsons and a really never watched this part ! Damn I want to see it !! Smile good picts ED..

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard