New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

The depth and symbolism of "RoboCop"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote

I know this is a kind-of dead topic, but I'm watching the original film again just now, and the "Kenny-gets-blown-away" scene just happened. It has suddenly occurred to me, how his bullet-riddled body lands sprawled-out on the nice, white, pristine model of Delta City, crushing it in bloody little pieces, seemingly becomes a metaphor for the reality of it all; the Old Man's glistening vision of a perfect and crime-free future would always be marred and ruined by blood, corruption, and violence, that it would never be the utopia he envisioned. What do you all think?

RB 1633

ultra4
Robojeep
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Wow. Thats deep. I've never thought of it that way but yeah i think your right. What got me about the scene was that the bullets were going straight through his body but the windows never smashed hahaha as scene at the end with dick jones.

RB 475

TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote

Heh...I guess it's just one of those instances where there were enough elements in the scene to make the point the screenwriters and director were trying to make without necessarily including all of the realistic details that should have happened. It's still completely effective and gruesome as hell though as a scene...

To take it one step further, if you stop and think about it, this one sequence had so much going on in it, it was so dense in terms of illustrating what kind of cut-throat, fast-moving, and inhumane world these characters were inhabiting. I mean, we go from curse-word-laced back-biting amongst ruthless corporate suits to idealistic imperialism to ambitious, profit-driven capitalism and elitist rhetoric, to technological brutality and dismissive indifference for human life within the span of about eight minutes. And the kicker is, as over-the-top and skewed as this vision of evolving corporate America and a declining, violent society from Paul Verhoeven might read on paper, it completely looks and feels frighteningly real and perfectly believable on film portrayed by each and every actor and actress in a very natural and believable manner. That's the magic of Verhoeven's RoboCop, and that's why I'm tempted to think that will never be replicated again, not unless they ever get him on board to do another one, that is. George Miller proved it could happen though with Mad Max, which is kind of agonizing thinking it's possible but may never happen for RoboCop. (lol)

RB 1633

ultra4
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote

Well said, TODD, and I did like George Miller's remake of Mad Max, however, I think that trying to recreate that magic is hard. Everyone has an idea of what they want to see happen in a new movie, and no one wants to just rehash the original. I want to always remember the original movie as it is. I love sequels and remakes, but I think that what could make for interesting storytelling could be a Robocop vs. Terminator movie, set in the 1980s. Thoughts?

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
AceAlive1
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Comment: I am VERY disappointed!

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote

robocop was indeed deep for its time and it kind of predicted the future of detroit as far as violent crime went. for awhile, someone got killed every day via gunshot. it was nuts.

RB 643

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard