New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop statue reaches funding goal
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    INDEX -> Front Page - Featured Topics
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote

Detroit is taking pride in its rough and tumble reputation. Now on the table -- a proposed statue of RoboCop, the (obviously) fictional law enforcement enthusiast who was part man, part machine, but all cop.

The 1987 action film of the same name was set in the Motor City. Now a privately funded group has raised enough money to erect a statue honoring Detroit's No. 1 crime fighter.

The news set off an explosion of Web searches. Online lookups on "robocop statue" surged into Yahoo's top 100 overall search terms. Related searches on "robocop actor," "robocop sequels," and "robocop photos" posted similarly impressive spikes.

So, will the statue really become a reality? Well, at first, it didn't look likely. A fan of the flick sent a tweet to Detroit Mayor Dave Bing, saying, "Philadelphia has a statue of Rocky & Robocop would kick Rocky's butt. He's a GREAT ambassador for Detroit." Bing responded, saying, "There are not any plans to erect a statue to Robocop. Thank you for the suggestion."

End of story, right? Wrong. A group set out to raise $50,000 to build a full-scale sculpture. And with the help of a $25,000 donation from an Oakland entrepreuneur, the group has now raised well over the required amount. According to CNN, the statue would "stand on privately owned land near the Michigan Central Depot." The hope is that it will become a tourist attraction.

While the Web interest has been deafening, there are some who question whether it's wise to remind tourists of Hollywood's version of dystopian Detroit. The Christian Science Monitor quotes John McCarthy, a professor of urban history at Robert Morris University in Pittsburgh: "I don’t see anything in the RoboCop image that is positive for the city of Detroit." The message such a statue would send would be at its best, "an ironic one."

Interestingly, much of "RoboCop" wasn't filmed in Detroit. Dallas actually served as the backdrop in many scenes. And let it be known that Detroit is hardly the first city to honor a fictional character. There's Rocky in Philadelphia, of course. But there's also Mary Richards in Minneapolis, Superman in Metropolis (Illinois), Ralph Kramden of "The Honeymooners" at the Port Authority in New York, and the one and only Fonz in Milwaukee.

Thanks to RoboDemise for the link!

Source:
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/94297

http://detnews.com/article/20110216/METRO/102160393/RoboCop-statue-reaches-funding-goal#ixzz1E9TBoFOJ

...but am i correct when i say that no-one has actually donated any money yet, just pledged/promised that they will?

I wonder how many will actually pay up when/if the time comes.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Gadget
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: A good citizen always tells the truth, right?

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote

True. That's prolly the reason that even though they've reached their goal, they're still accepting additional contributions for backup.

But seriously. Who wouldn't pay for a RoboCop statue? xD

RB 241

appleguy
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Fully financed!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48521

RB 178

Nika Silwerra
Justified and Ancient of Mu

OCP5 - L3

Comment: The queen of RoboCop random finds thread

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote

After a time I was not around this is quite interesting. Hey and why not ? I just wonder why in the Detroit is not a Robocop statue yet. I love statue, you know me, ancint egypt and bla bla, statues always remind something, great people or some days of history and they are also points where we always take photos.

Towns and parks are full of any statues and modern art, many of them are weird or looks silly, you dont know what it exactly is and if other towns can to have statues of singers or film heroes, I dont see any reason why not a Robocop statue in Detroit .

Someone of you said that bring there a Robocop statue is not too good idea cause all the films were filmed in other cities, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta. Yea, that is really logical reason, but the Robocop take places in Detroit of near future ..well they used for R1 many Dallas locations but also created many backgrounds in the studio. Maybe if they shoot all three film in Dallas then we could give more points to Dallas . But in the Robocop world is his town Detroit, so to throw the statue to Dallas is nonsense as well uh sorry Justin .

Many other film stories take places in Detroit but most of all it many folks know as the Robocops town. I like the idea, of yeah because I am a Robocop fan ! Many towns has many other silly and nonsensical sculptures ehm like town where I live, just huge bald stone in middle of town on square what everybody from our town call "egg" Smile just wonderfull .. so why not a RoboCop statue in Detroit ? Yeah! Go boys . I bet the statue will be erected there soon!

Smile they brought it on FB ..you have my support ! I bet you all Robocop fans would love to see his statue there and if not money so we should support them at least !
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre71a0d2-us-robocop/

EDIT:
Appleguy :
Fully financed!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48521

Great news ! Thanks . Very Happy

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote

I found another link.
I think this is really going to happen. If so i'm taking a trip to Old Detroit.

Good news, sci-fi fans: RoboCop is headed to Detroit.

Just six days after raising donations on the Internet, a group of local artists and fans of the 1987 cult classic exceeded the fund-raising goal of $50,000 this morning to build a larger-than-life sculpture of the crime-fighting cyborg.

With 1,500 donations and hundreds pouring in every day at www.detroitneedsrobocop.com, the group plans to continue raising money until the March 29 deadline to make the statue of "as big and good as possible," said Detroit artist Jerry Paffendorf, who is helping raise donations.

"This could be a multi-hundred-thousand-dollar KickStarter," Paffendorf said, referring to the online service hub for ideas looking for funding. "It's remarkable."

The statue has set off debates about the artistic value of a RoboCop statue. Some complain that the movie, about a dystopian, crime-ridden Detroit, would hurt the city's image.

Others said it's a fun way to bring more attention to the struggling, but resilient city.

Fund-raising began last week after Detroit Mayor Dave Bing politely rejected a suggestion on Twitter that RoboCop would improve the city's image. Although the Tweet was a joke from a New England computer technician, fans of RoboCop swarmed cyberspace to call for a statue.

Once the price tag is determined, a team of skilled sculptures, including a team that worked with Bjork's husband, Matthew Barney, will build the sculpture from any number of materials. The group is working with the Mayor's Office to consider public spots, such as areas near Comerica Park or a downtown park.

If that doesn't work out, the statue may end up at Imagination Station, an outdoor art project cofounded by Paffendorf near the abandoned Michigan Central Station just off Michigan Avenue.

Paffendorf and other local artists hope RoboCop is just the beginning of a series of public art installations.

"With all of this publicity, we have a big opportunity to extend this to other projects in Detroit," Paffendorf said.

Supporters of the statue got a big boost Tuesday when San Francisco businessman, Pete Hottelet, donated $25,000.

"Despite everything, we live in a great country, and every day, there's an opportunity out there to do something awesome," Hottelet, owner of Omni Consumer Products, told the Free Press. "You just have to find it.
"[/i]

http://www.freep.com/article/20110216/NEWS01/110216015/Sci-fi-fans-rejoice-RoboCop-statue-coming-Detroit

http://www.movieviral.com/2011/02/16/funds-raised-to-bring-robocop-statue-to-detroit/

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
Officer Igor Antunes
Detroit Police | Omnicorp

Sgt-L2

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quote

I would buy that for a dollar!

I think what MGM heads are thinking about RoboCop now, with all this spontaneous publicity.

That's a proof that RoboCop character is a cult icon, a symbol, more popular than they think. And plus: the bad sequels, series, comics, animations, games, toys, and the foolish merchandising, nothing of this killed the brilliant original idea.

The fact of the movie been filmed in Dallas isn't big deal, because the city of Detroit is the RoboCop universe, and internationaly known just because this movie (and the motor industry, sure). Thats why i agree on Nika.

Congrats Verhoeven, Miner and Neumeier!! Congrats Peter Weller. This credit is yours. And ours.

RB 1741

Nika Silwerra

OCP5 - L3

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote

I am just curious how the statue will be looks. Maybe it is too from me .. but the artists could bring out some suggestions or sketches I am just very curious Very Happy whole the matter has also a slightly funny taste but I hope it will not be a Robocop on unicorn Laughing

furher links ..

10 reasons why a Robocop statue is bad idea .
http://supergaydetroit.blogspot.com/2011/02/10-reasons-robocop-statue-is-bad-idea.html

Of course who dislike the film and dont have understanding for the "sci-fi" world overally of course, such person will find many reasons WHY NOT ! I am his fan so I can pour out more than 10 reason why the statue is good idea ! and yeah I will do in a comics form.

and other articles
http://nighttraintodetroit.com/2011/02/14/detroits-other-micro-funded-public-art-project/

http://www.theendoftheinterwebs.com/2011/02/detriot-robocop-statue-new-prime.html

RB 4066

robocop-figure2 lewis-figure ford-taurus mustang-series 6000SUX robocop-figure4 klf-album1 c&c-nod
anticlaus
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote

i'm going to meet with some people involved. seems interesting.

RB 2422

Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote

anticlaus :
i'm going to meet with some people involved. seems interesting.

thank goodness. I hope it passes.

Its gonna be amazing exposure for you

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
Dr. 2-1B
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote

No, the thing is definitely being erected. It was 100% privately financed and it 100% being put on private property.

Why do some people have a beef about this?

Because they're pissed at their own life situation.

If someone wanted to put up a statue of Rodin's Thinker in their front yard, no one would give a rat's ass.

People all over are blogging negatively about this because they hate the attention Robocop is receiving.

A trillion dollars a year is wasted on other frivolous things, why would people complain about a privately financed statue?

RB 684

RoboBadge
RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote

Because people love to bitch...no matter what.

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
Robo_1
R-L3

R-L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote

I've dropped 5 dollars in the pot. It's pretty cool that enough people wanted to see this happen actually, I mean for many people, Robocop has very little cultural relevance these days.

RB 262

Nika Silwerra

OCP5 - L3

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote

Dr. 2-1B :
Why do some people have a beef about this?

Because they're pissed at their own life situation.

Many folk actually too dont care about and those that extremely dont agree with a statue are maybe too conservative and if the project does not take things what they stand for and many times they will try to do anything for canceling the idea... or maybe they belong to too crazy Catholic community with the thought that a statue of film "fictional"hero is too cheeky or a blaspheming and there are persons who deserve a statue more than a Robocop what is a classica. Then great that the Robocop has so skilfull fans.

From time to time I checking the FB community ...
Oh yeah jokes around can be !

http://www.freep.com/article/20110217/NEWS01/110217070/-1/siteindex/Mike-Brookbank-video-You-want-RoboCop-statue-Artist-group-gives-us-one

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/17/detroit-raises-funds-for-robocop-statue/?hpt=Sbin

and the madness is here !
EDIT:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110216/SPECIAL01/110216003/1410/Image--Artist-s-interpretation-of-RoboCop-statue

http://www.freep.com/article/20110216/NEWS09/110216022/Mark-W-Smith-What-we-can-learn-from-RoboCop-s-success

RB 4066

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
Thanks to RoboDemise for the link!

Yes! I finally contributed something. Been awhile. Even though As I found it I guess I apparently couldn't make it work. Laughing

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard