New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Aint it Cool talks to Jose Padilha about ROBOCOP reboot.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Nash
L-L3

L-L3

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote

During "Fantastic Fest" the website www.aintitcool.com caught up with Jose Padilha, director of the next ROBOCOP and the previously released ELITE SQUAD movies.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51387

Nordling: Here we go, I’m with Jose Padilha, director of ELITE SQUAD and ELITE SQUAD 2 and the upcoming director of ROBOCOP.

JP: The first thing that I have to say to you is this; forget about the movie ROBOCOP, which is a great movie. Forget about the context in which it was released back in the 80’s and the great asset criticism of the media that it made. Forget about all of that, just the concept of ROBOCOP theoretically… Robocop is not a superhero, Robocop is what happens to a man when you start changing it with technology so he can follow certain purposes and do certain things for corporations or whatever. What happens when technology takes over consciousness and free will?

Nordling: Right

JP: And that in itself… If somebody comes to me and says “Let’s make a movie about that” and there was no ROBOCOP, I would still say “Great, let’s do it,” because it talks to my heart, it’s a freedom concept, and we are getting there.

Nordling: Exactly. We are there.

JP: In forty years we will really be there, we will be able to… There’s going to be robots all around us doing things and they are doing things according to specific software programs designed by specific people with specific goals and criteria, like Robocop is and so it’s a genius concept and I embrace the concept of the film and the project just by the concept alone. Now you are right, the environment nowadays is different than the environment in the 80’s and the way to explore the concept is different and so we are doing something that is original and in its own terms even though we have the same brilliant concept that ROBOCOP has. That’s it.

Nordling: Yeah, well I mean I don’t know how it was… Just going back to the original a little bit, when did you see the original first?

JP: When it came out.

Nordling: See at the time when the original came out I think people thought the old idea of corporations just running everything was ridiculous. It’s not ridiculous anymore.

JP: (Laughs) Nope. More and more corporations are consolidating. There are less corporations, but they run more things than they did and yeah we are in an OCP era…

Nordling: Yeah, exactly. That kind of leads to the world that you are going to create in your film, is it going to be similar or is it going to be something that is your creation?

JP: We are sort of… I’ve been writing this with Josh Zetumer, who is a great screenwriter, and we are sort of… I have a specific take on how to tackle this sort of like new ROBOCOP and I’ve presented this take to MGM and to Roger Dickman there and they like the take. They said, “Yeah, that’s cool. That’s timely. We need to do a film about this” and I’m following it. I mean we are in the third draft. We are getting close to the shooting script, I think, and so you know I can’t really tell you what it’s about, because I don’t want to spoil the movie for you…

Nordling: I don’t want you to. I understand.

JP: But you know, it’s our own thing inspired by this great concept that Verhoeven came up with.

RB 5709

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote

I'm sort of glad that the new movie isn't going to be a cookie-cutter remake, more of a reboot or aother vision of a similar concept.

The original movie got a lot of stuff right. Huge mega corporation having huge stakes in everything and the satire directed at the media. While a film doing that now wouldn't work as well, in hindsight RoboCop pulled it off.

I'm interested to see where the whole "freedom" aspect goes. The idea of a man actually trapped and coming to terms with his new situation could really work well, and be an interesting and fresh idea for both existing fans and a new generation.

That is, if It's done right...

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Nash
L-L3

L-L3

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Josh :
I'm sort of glad that the new movie isn't going to be a cookie-cutter remake, more of a reboot or aother vision of a similar concept.

The original movie got a lot of stuff right. Huge mega corporation having huge stakes in everything and the satire directed at the media. While a film doing that now wouldn't work as well, in hindsight RoboCop pulled it off.

I'm interested to see where the whole "freedom" aspect goes. The idea of a man actually trapped and coming to terms with his new situation could really work well, and be an interesting and fresh idea for both existing fans and a new generation.

That is, if It's done right...

Correct. Padilha even understands that ROBOCOP isn't a Superhero! Very Happy

RB 5709

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote

Nash :
Padilha even understands that ROBOCOP isn't a Superhero! Very Happy

Yeah, I'm pretty glad about that.

The pure fact is, Robo is a product. Built to do a job and nothing more.

And then RoboCop 3 happened and, well, you know...

RB 17812

Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Here's another one of those things that make me hopeful...

They're already on the 3rd draft, a feat that hasn't been attempted for this new incarnation of RoboCop. Next up is a shooting script! All of What Padiha said about this movie, is making my Nerd-Juices flow!

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Padilha is the right man in the right place - I really appreciate his social and political consciousness, that makes his movies great. I look forward for his "Robocop"!

RB 523

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
David Cell
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: RoboCop-Dark Justice [Fan-Edition 2011] - http://www.mediafire.com/?058yvz6pwdj5f50

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote

I think they're gonna make something like Deus Ex - Human Revolution. Did you guys see the awesome live-action trailers it has?

The story is just amazing (with a lot of tributes to Robocop, too!) and the way they've conveyed it was amazing. I think it's gonna turn out to be more like an Adam Jensen type of thing rather than the whole prosthesis like RoboCop.

I guess we'll never know till it comes out...

RB 422

Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Well this is strange. Some actually decent news about the remake that doesn't result in the blood thirsty cries of a thousand angry RoboNerds.

Much in the vein of the late Planet Alderaan.

RB 464

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
lord_zedd
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote

I remember when a director told the public to forget the original film when watching the remake he was making....his name was roland emerich and that film was the american remake of Godzilla.

This movie could be good if done right , but I tihnk that if he gets too carried away this movie could be really bad, i dont want them to replace the scenes of robocop fighting crime with scenes of robocop wondering why hes not anatomically correct anymore Neutral

RB 164

David Cell
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: RoboCop-Dark Justice [Fan-Edition 2011] - http://www.mediafire.com/?058yvz6pwdj5f50

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote

I hope they don't redesign him too much...I love the full body prosthesis. Going in another direction takes a bit of the huge moral dilema RoboCop has, regarding Science...

RB 422

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote

I know now that as soon as the first on set pictures come through showing RoboCop I'm gonna have a full on nerd-gasm. It'll be after the cigarette that I'll really take a good look at what they have done and voice my opinions on what I don't like, which will hopefully be nothing.

RB 18145

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure what it is we're actually looking foward too here..I mean he comes right out of the box saying "forget the movie robocop" I mean really?..And I'm gonna be blunt here I don't want to see a movie that spends it's time on the creation of Robocop and Alex Murphy simping around over his lost humanity,Yes that plays a huge role in the Robo mythos but Jose, "Your not covering any new ground by redoing that"..We all know that Robo misse's what was Alex Murphy and has had to come to terms with he now is as Robocop..I've been on the opposeing side of this reboot from day one and too be honest it's a bad investment for MGM I mean there going up against one of the top 5 sci fi films of the 80's and attempting too reimagine it and make it relavent too 2012?..Thats tough for the greatest of film makers too pull off..Let just get 1 good Robo film with Robo kickin ass and doing Robo shit..

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Ah it's going to be the same argument from here on out. Remakes are bullshit 99% of the time and based on just the premise rather than the statistic, I cannot condone the act of bulldozing a fresh spot on the current cinematic land fill just so we can blind the youth from antique art and further the (de)evolution of the MTV generation.

That said, at this part in the Robo Remake Roller Coaster I have to admit that both attempts thus far have been intriging. I still think Aronofsky would have made quality material and for now I am feeling hopeful about Padilha's vision.

And just so the children reading don't forget, FUCK REMAKES.

RB 464

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote

Deus Ex Robo :
Remakes are bullshit 99% of the time

While I agree and dispite my own excitement for the remake I also partly expect it to pale in comparison to the original. No I don't think it will be better, but a quality film is what's needed to bring the series back to It's (hopefully) R-Rated glory and not some soppy mess aimed at kids.

Maybe the best thing to do is to not take the first and try to make it better, but rather reinvent. I'm not saying I want it massively different (Robo still has to be a cyborg for example) but but don't go trying to ape the original film and It's use of media satire. It's been done and it was done well.

And this film doesn't seem as much of a remake to me (granted we don't have a huge amount of info to go on). To me a remake uses the same story, characters, themes and whatever else the movie is about. To me this is more of a reboot which I think suits it better, although I do expect the characters to share names with the original.

Anyway, going back to Deus' original quote. Yes 99% are bullshit but then think of the good ones. True Lies, The Thing and The Fly to name a couple.

Don't give up hope just yet.

RB 17812

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard