New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop 1988 Animated Series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote

I looked around but havent found any thread about it so if theres one you can merge my post

Anyway, I just saw 3 episodes for the first time and to my surprise I really liked it. I mean it is as much as it can be as a Saturday Morning cartoon, but its amazing how it got more things right than R3 and its descendants. Robo is still pretty violent hesitating whether to kill people or know and interrogating some by drowning them. Plus as oppose to R3 and its descendants it show Robo struggling physically and mourning when lifting heavy things or getting hit

Plus I really like how they brought back so many characters, Reed, Lewis, Hedgecock, Boddicker, Old Man, Cecil, Macnamara and even Rosevelt

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
Ryou Win
L-L1

L-L1

Comment: Brazillian RoboCop Fan and M.u.g.e.n. maker. Last Updates: NeuroBrain ver.04,09,2019 for M.U.G.E.N.

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote

. I only dislike few things in this cartoon:

1) The strange look of the RoboCop armour.
2) When hit for anything, Robocop have energy loss (about 20%)... man, the cartoon is about the movie or the arcade game?

. Ok, ok... it must have dangers to have a good story... but the Marvel can make menaces with more imagination! A militar weapon of the future can be very damaging thing! But, a flame-thrower? Against a flame-proof guy? 20 Energy loss against a chainshaw?

. But the others ideas of this cartoon... a liked a pretty more: the car, the RoboCopter, the mutants, the hackers, cyber criminals, international incidents...

RB 1361

cake
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote

Well, also remember, this incarnation was developed for children. So, they did have to show RoboCop as the super cop that he is. And Marvel (back then) wasn't the absolute greatest at storytelling.

Pay attention to the writer's credits. With certain writers comes better stories.

Some of the characters changed drastically from Movie to Cartoon series...
Macnamara has cybernetic hands.
Ed 209 became ED 260
Roosevelt went from white woman to a black man. (the reverse Michael Jackson)
As well as other elements of the city had changed. The movie, afterall, wasn't meant for kids. So the addition of a few things had to be included to sell better to children.

The important thing about the cartoon to remember is, it was done right. Marvel understood the character delimma's of RoboCop/Murphy.

(And Thank God they didn't focus on Ellen/Nancy and Jimmy)

As for the energy levels dropping, you're right. It was to provide kids with onscreen drama. And served as a reminder; Even the superhero struggles to do what is right. To present danger in a fun, yet fantastical way, that keeps kids glued to their tv's.

Sad to say, I'd watch any of these Marvel Series cartoons before RoboCop 3 any day.

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Sean_001 :
Well, also remember, this incarnation was developed for children. So, they did have to show RoboCop as the super cop that he is.

Right, but even when they did, he still was shown as having limitations and also human feelings and as making physical effort when using big force, something R3 and the latter incarnations failed to do

Quote:
Some of the characters changed drastically from Movie to Cartoon series...
Macnamara has cybernetic hands.

That could be easily explained. Macnamara might have had some kind of accident after the movie

Quote:
Ed 209 became ED 260

I just see it as an upgrade, which would actually be pretty logical after R1 when 209 failed

Quote:
Roosevelt went from white woman to a black man. (the reverse Michael Jackson)

You sure Rosevelt was the woman? I always thought its the guy in glasses

Quote:
Sad to say, I'd watch any of these Marvel Series cartoons before RoboCop 3 any day.

And that was my surprise as well, how they got the character more than R3 or the series' that followed

RB 525

Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote

You might be right there.
It's been about a week since I last watched it (I usually have it on while cleaning up the house).

I retract my statement about Roosevelt. He was a white guy, then black.

Reminds me of the Billy Dee Williams Harvey Dent from Batman 1989, then straight to Tommy Lee Jones in Batman Forever...
Good God, what a travesty!

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote

I really love the cartoon. The Complete Series Box-Set was the first thing I bought when I made my eBay account a couple of years back Smile

As for ED-260 - he really was an upgraded version - in the episode "A Robot's Revenge" you can see him transform his legs and they have tank threads/wheels on the bottom.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :

As for ED-260 - he really was an upgraded version - in the episode "A Robot's Revenge" you can see him transform his legs and they have tank threads/wheels on the bottom.

Well, thats one of the episodes Ive sen, and ts actually an even bigger update. The robots called ED-260A and its said hes been much smarter than previous 260s

RB 525

ElectricSoul
O-L5*

O-L5*

Comment: Listen to me,you FUCK!!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote

well,to be fair,it would only make sense for them to try an upgrade the 209 program....i mean,the basic idea was solid - a walking tank,for all intents and purposes - it just need to be programmed smarter and be able to think on the fly,something the 209's couldn't do since they were dumb as shit....

RB 261

darkman-figure ultra6 ultra4 marvel-venom Batman89 remake1 rocketeer-figure
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote

I really considered the series to be perfectly good with being cannon with the first movie up until Clarance showed up.
In fact, in case I remember correctly, Murphy had an argument with the Old Man in an episode or two (something about the benefits of nature or something) which started showing the Old Man in the more corrupt and evil side we see him in in RoboCop 2.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
ElectricSoul
O-L5*

O-L5*

Comment: Listen to me,you FUCK!!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:44 pm Reply with quote

yeah,that completely threw me....i didn't expect him to show up at all...

have to admit,it got me excited for the possibility we'd get a Boddicker figure! of course,it never happened.... oh dear

RB 261

darkman-figure ultra6 ultra4 marvel-venom Batman89 remake1 rocketeer-figure
OmenSpirits
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: "We're only human".

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote

A Robo cartoon done right today would probably be seriously cool!

Just choose the right animation company and NOT the one marvel uses to excess!

(They suck!) :roll:

RB 43

meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Comment: Get to da choppa!!!

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote

The wife got me the 8 episode dvd "crime wave"

when i was younger i had the episodes "scrambler" "man in the iron suit" and "brotherhood" on vhs and am glad they are all on the dvd i have.

the cartoon is well good, robo looks a little odd compared to the movie but i still love it (as does my 9 month old son!)

one thing i do find amusing is all th ways various character insult robo verbally, but inkeeping with the PG certificate "you walking trash compactor" and "cybernetic cretin" crack me up every time

one change with robo i do like is his height, i think him being 7ft makes him more imposing

RB 9810

dc-batman dc-superman conan-sword batman-card IronMan-Logo
meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Comment: Get to da choppa!!!

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote

just watched another episode, "no news is good news" i lol'd at the rival news channel to medi break "KRUD news" then when the news reporters boss (who im sure has the same voice actor as king kooper in the mario cartoon) fires him, he follows it up by punching him in the face! you wouldnt get any of this in todays kids cartoons!

RB 9810

dc-batman dc-superman conan-sword batman-card IronMan-Logo
OmenSpirits
R-L1

R-L1

Comment: "We're only human".

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Ahh, those were the days for cartoons. Laughing

RB 43

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard