New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop dismantled
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote

I find this scene to be more painful to watch than Murphy getting shot up by Clarence Boddiker and co. You end up wanting to knock the fuck out of Hob and the rest.

And what annoys me about it is that Robo gets out of a car that's been blown up with a rocket no problem, but gets his hand shot off easily half an hour later. And you'd think that, with the new armour, he'd at least have a bit more strength to resist.

I don't know, is that just me?

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote

You know, I've never though of that. True Robo does seem unscathed in the beginning but like you said does get dismantled.

Then again, I don't know if the explosion in the beginning would blow him apart. Sure it flipped the car but it didn't blow it apart. Compare that to the explosion of his cruiser when Cain's gang capture him to see what I mean.

Maybe it was just an oversight. But a good point nonetheless.

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Fummelcop
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Comment: There will be trouble!

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote

I think this scene is very odd. It really impressed me when i was a kid, but now i think, why didn`t they remove his head? The gangsta-kid even mentions that he wants to see robo`s brain. Yet they take off his legs and helmet and when they get to see his only vaulnurable spot, they just stop and take him to a police station.
Most criminals are not the smartest, but this stupid?

RB 787

game-xbox
meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Comment: Get to da choppa!!!

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote

his hand was shot at by a fully automatic high calibre weapon...

I totally agree with fummelcop though, how dumb were they to just dismember him, they shoukd have done a proper job and taken his head off too, but nooooooooooooo stupid criminals left him alive and what happens, he gets better and gets his revenge!

in a way its very similar to the 1st film in that he is killed once, brought back to life and kills those responsible.

come to think of it, he almost dies in robo3 too.....

RB 9810

dc-batman dc-superman conan-sword batman-card IronMan-Logo
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Well, when he's back in the lab it's noted that the back of the head is badly damaged so maybe they tried. Also, it shouldn't matter what type of weapon it is, his hand shouldn't get blown off that easily.

Having said that, I seem to recall that in Miller's original script, they ripped his face off to reveal a Terminator like exo skeleton.

If I was to redo R2, I'd keep the scene in but replace Robo with one of the prototype R2's.

RB 534

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote

Itīs a nasty scene. I agree with you, about how easy seems to "cut" Roboīs hand with a gun and make him just cables and pieces.

Also, how weak he looks in that scene. Ok, he had some electric gun right in his chest, but in the first one he was shot by almost the whole Detroit PD and he still wanted to live. Here they catch him with a magnet and he does NOTHING to scape or survive to that.

I think it doesnīt adds anything new to the RoboCop character, Miller just followed the script of the first movie: "Ok, they kill him around 30 minutes in the movie. Iīll do that. Then they shot him in the hand. Cool! The rest is him being just a mess. Ok, Iīll change bullets for some tools and done".

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote

I don't like the magnet they use to move him and the chains they use to hold him.

Are you telling me that Robo can't break chains even though 10-15 minutes before he did just that?

RB 17812

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote

I can see the idea with dumping Robo alive at the police station as a message from Cain. As in "look what we did to your machine." Of course they should have finished the job but as all movie villains they are overconfident in their victory.

I agree on the chains thing. It is like Robo was paralysed lying there. He didn't seem to do much effort in getting free.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote

what i dont like is that as mentioned robo does nothing to break free. the bit on the magnet is blatently a dummy so no movement at all. but surely if he struggled then there is no way they could hav chained him down.

but once they did, i dont think robo could have broken free, they where pretty hench chains.

RB 9810

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote

meathead316 :
but once they did, i dont think robo could have broken free, they where pretty hench chains.

Look at the chain Robo rips off of the plant where they capture him. That was a hefty chain.

Also, he busts down a reinforced door in the first film (I always think of the multiple attempts as a form of intimidation) and you see him (not much mind you) begin to push the girders off of himself that Nash drops on him.

There Series did a good job of showing Robo's strength (moving cars, surviving a car compactor). It's just a shame It's not canon so I don't really count it but it could potentially give you an idea of his strength.

RB 17812

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote

I'm going to try to get ignorantly scientific for a second.

I think his hand got shot off by a tripod mounted huge caliber machine gun. Here's where I think the physics come into play. What would be stronger, Robo's armor at the wrist (a crucial pivot point and probably not so well protected), or the motor or servo asembly or whatever it is that makes his shoulder move. I say this because I wonder how strong whatever holding his arm in place would be. He's decently heavy and I am sure he is well planted and balanced on the ground so that high velocity high caliber projectile is essentially hitting a wall that does not give when it is hit. Or his shoulder or footing, anything really, would give or be moved as the bullet hit, thus wasting alot of the energy from the bullet. Or if he remained perfectly stiff he would take the full force of the bullet as if it was hitting a brick wall.

I can see this easily taking his hand off at the wrist. Maybe not on a more protected part but definitely the wrist. As far as them not taking his head... Well we wouldn't have any more movie if they did that would we?

Rocket to the car at the beginning was never a direct impact To Robo and the car itself took away alot of the energy instead of ol' Murph. The G's he took in that car flipping were no problem for him.

Also I forgot to say when you guys are talking about him not moving when he is being magnetized and such, keep in mind that he just took a 2 ton crane hook to the face. Although they portray it poorly in the movie he is obviously dazed. They should have shown a hud shot of his viewer being scrambled or something like when hob shot him. He still has a brain encapsulated in some type of housing. WHen it gets knocked off the walls of whatever it is held in there is going to be brain trama. He definitely would have been unconscious or dead had it not been that he was a Fucking RoboCop! Cut the guy some slack. Laughing

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Deus Ex Robo

C-L1

Comment: Is my new life a reward for the one I led?

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Also when chained flat on a surface, leverage comes into play. You'd think he'd still be able to muscle his way out of it, but my suspension of disbelief covers the problem with that excuse.

RB 249

AClockworkOrange Dawn-of-the-Dead nuke-red-ramrod nuke-blue-velvet nuke-white-noise nuke-black-thunder
meathead316
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote

i agree with demise about the pivot pints being weak areas and a high calibre weapon would have no trouble taking his hand off.

one other thing about this scene that bugs me though. we say that all these criminal are really dumb for not finishing robo off when they had the chance, but whos the dumb one that walked into the dumb criminals crappy trap?!

they could have made it a bit more elborate and not make robo look as much he blatently could have avoided the situation if he didnt walk in there thinking he well 'ard.

RB 9810

DoktorNo
Internal Troops Officer

L-L5

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote

I think, that rushed adaptation of original Frank Miller's script is here to blame...

RB 523

booze dvd-robocop1 dvd-robocop2 game-ds southpark-cartman indianajones-figure Doom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard