New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Original actors considered for RoboCop

Robo79
O-L1*

O-L1*

Comment: Murphy, transferring in from Metro South.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote

Apologies if something like this has been posted up before, but looking through the Internet, I noticed that before Peter Weller, several actors were considered to play Murphy / RoboCop. They were :

Rutger Hauer (he had appeared in many Paul Verhoeven movies back in Holland)

Sylvester Stallone

Arnold Schwarzenegger (who would have ended up looking like The Michelin Man) Laughing

Tom Berenger (this might have been after he had finished filming Platoon)

Lance Henriksen (he was briefly considered when Peter Weller was having problems with the suit)

Michael Ironside (he would have been a bit too big for it)

So that makes it six, but at the end of the day, Weller was the only one who could do the character justice and he did it in style. Happy robo

RB 110

Rambo-Knife game-xbox
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote

Of those the only one who i think would have done a good job is Tom Berenger.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote

I'd buy Rutger Hauer as Robo today, HaHa. I love that guy. Everything he does is gold to me. I'd take a Rutger-Cop.

RB 9924

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote

No love for Michael Ironside?

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
ROM
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Didn't Armand Assante test for Robo as well? I believe I heard it in the dvd commentary.

RB 21

RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote

I love Armand but could you imagine that voice as robo....i would be asking "what did he just say?" during the whole movie.

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
Robo79
O-L1*

O-L1*

Comment: Murphy, transferring in from Metro South.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote

Assante is a fine actor, but his voice wouldn't have been as powerful as Weller's was. I could see Berenger and Hauer do well in the role, but it was tailor made for Peter Weller because at this stage of his career, this was the movie that was going to break him into Hollywood. Hauer had already hit it big thanks to Blade Runner and Platoon was Berenger's big break.

Ironside was also considered for Boddicker and he would have been fearsome in that role, but I think Kurtwood Smith really made it his own, playing him as a hardened psychopath with that distinctly weaselly voice.

RB 110

Rambo-Knife game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard