New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

The Little League Team in RoboCop 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Kamdan
R-L1

R-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote

I was just pondering how things would have occurred if RoboCop handled the situation if he wasn't reprogrammed. Would he have been like, "Remember what I said about staying out of trouble? Now you're going to find out what happens when you don't." What are your thoughts?

RB 137

god84
R-L5

R-L5

Comment: THE HandsomeDevil.

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote

i dont think he would've shot them tho lol.

i imagine he would've took a hard line approach.

The Coach however might not of been so lucky, tho Lewis took care of him.

(im still annoyed at Lewis being a guy in the new movie)

RB 375

auto9
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote

That's a really good point.

It's something that I've never really thought of but at the same time I can't see Robo being used in that situation.

I would imagine meat waggons would have been called and the little bastards rounded up. That, or blown away.

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quote

RoboCop can't shoot kids, Hob for example, so there would be no blood bath this time.

The kids all kinda gave up before Robo even entered the shop. They just sat there at the wall so I think they would have followed along with whatever Lewis and the sane RoboCop had ordered them to do.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote

Bah, this is a topic? Anyway, I agree with Archive - I doubt Robo would have blown the little turds away. They weren't really armed and certainly didn't resist.

Though I bet they would have still tried run away like they did - there were several of them, cops were still on strike and it's not like he can just chase them all down, 'fucked up' or not.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote

While Robo definitely wouldn't have shot them, I could easily see him grabbing one or two by the back of the shirt and throwing them in the back of his squad car. However, OCP might have programmed him not to interact with children at all in a hostile manner to avoid any potential lawsuits from angry parents. I mean, imagine the media field day that would arise after the accusation:

"Robocop touched my child!"

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Raymond
Sgt-L5

Sgt-L5

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote

Nah. He didn't shoot that kid gangster leader (Hobb?) and that kid pulled a gun on him and shoot him in the face....That happens in the beginning of Robo2 before the re-programming.

But I guess Robocop should have a non-lethal option to, like how Dredd can set his Lawgiver on stun. Then he can handle kids, even kids with guns.

RB 3724

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote

At the start of the move we see "Targeting Denied" when he tries to shoot Hob. I imagine a similar situation would have happened if he had have pulled his gun in the store. He would have had to apprehend them or hold them in the store until other officers came to deal with them and take them away. As soon as all the kids saw him they tried to ran anyway so if the back door hadn't been locked, they would have gotten away and all that was left to deal with was the coach.

RB 18145

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote

I think most of you guys forget it's Murphy there, he wouldn't need his system to block him from shooting little kids, lol! You're talking as if he really was just a machine always ready to kill anything.

We know he has great fire power and he's somewhat brutal, but he always shoots someone after being shot first or when the target is threatening another person, think about it he's not a shoot first character. I can see 3 exceptions to that rule:

- he shoots first when the target has a cobra gun or it is an ED-209, for obvious reasons,
- he can't shoot OCP senior officers,
- he can't shoot minors that shot him first (Murphy wouldn't either, his program blocking him acts just in case, as if he was really a machine as originally conceived, and not a self-conscious human mind)

The kids from that baseball team weren't armed with guns, so there is not the slightest chance Robo program would need to block him from shooting them. He would act as any normal cop would, although I don't think he's fit for that kind of situations since he can't run, but in the first moment everything was under control and being assisted by Lewis would make things much easier, but she was caught off guard with the specch when kids started to run away because they lost all respect to reprogrammed Robo.

Anyway it's not that important to catch them all at that particular moment, they just would need to identify the coach, and maybe catching a couple of kids would be just enough to identify, arrest and testify against the others, also Robo has video recording software. Not really a big issue.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote

^ Sounds mostly like what I would have wrote if I cared. :roll: Anyway, well said, artu. Wink

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote

Let's forget we're talking about a movie showcasing a human/cyborg hybrid...I always found that particular scene to be highly unlikely, ridiculous, and just plain unrealistic and silly. That's where the first film succeeded and the second one failed; it was approached as realistically as possible, as if we got a true glimpse into the future and what would happen were there ever a cyborg cop created and unleashed on society, whereas the second one was characterized like an over-the-top comic book, and that's not what the original story was, or at least that's not how Paul Vehoven filmed it anyway.

RB 1633

ultra4
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:58 am Reply with quote

TODD-209 :
Let's forget we're talking about a movie showcasing a human/cyborg hybrid...I always found that particular scene to be highly unlikely, ridiculous, and just plain unrealistic and silly. That's where the first film succeeded and the second one failed; it was approached as realistically as possible, as if we got a true glimpse into the future and what would happen were there ever a cyborg cop created and unleashed on society, whereas the second one was characterized like an over-the-top comic book, and that's not what the original story was, or at least that's not how Paul Vehoven filmed it anyway.

Really? Verhoeven and the writers would disagree, since the original (and second) Robocop was meant to be an over the top satire of the corporate America and American pop culture. Silly commercials interrupting tragic news, Sux (Sucks) American cars, Miller, ED 209 in the board room, Corporation owning cops and city, over the top gore etc. That was the beauty of the original (and second), it was a hardcore gory dark satire with pretty serious elements and social commentary thrown in

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
TODD-209
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote

No no, what I'm saying is, in the first film, even the over-the-top gore seemed to have a realistic context...it happened within the confines of a realistic scene or scenario, whereas in the second one, lines and actions were over-dramatized, disconnected, and seemed to be added for pure shock value instead of keeping them within the context of a realistic setting, like they did in the first film.

Concerning the little-league team, it just seemed extremely silly to me, that a coach would employ his entire team of CHILDREN to help hold up an electronics store. If it was meant to be funny or satirical, it wasn't to me, just silly and highly implausible. And when things become implausible in a film, I begin to lose any sense of realism, and the dignity of the film goes right out the window. I never had that feeling from the original film.

RB 1633

ultra4
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote

TODD-209 :
Concerning the little-league team, it just seemed extremely silly to me, that a coach would employ his entire team of CHILDREN to help hold up an electronics store. If it was meant to be funny or satirical, it wasn't to me, just silly and highly implausible. And when things become implausible in a film, I begin to lose any sense of realism, and the dignity of the film goes right out the window. I never had that feeling from the original film.

Well, I agree it is very frank-miller-ish, the second film was conceived as a comic book. I think we value R1 "realism" today, but at that time I don't see it was perceived that way, actually most critics agreed R1 was like a comic book film and praised it for that.

About if it is implausible, remember there is a police strike during the film, also we get to know from the conversation between Johnson, the Old Man and Faxx that the public opinion was aware Robo was out of service. The idea was everyone could profit under the "law of the jungle". It was exaggerated on purpose, specially since reprogrammed Robo looked hilarious trying to be nice.

I think it worked quite well as a whole, reprogrammed and politically correct Robo is among the most remarkable moments for non-fans that watch the movie today.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard