New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Dark Horse's RoboCop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote

Good choice. Unfortunately, even mint conditions of RoboCop comics probably aren't in worth enough anyway, so go ahead and ENJOY THOSE SUCKERS!!!

RB 3527

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote

Bah, can't believe I never found this before now. Well, I'll chime in a bit. Especially since they're re-releasing the Dark Horse series.

Now I myself for the most part very much enjoy the Dark Horse comics, or at least the ones I have read. Granted, I haven't read practically any of the Marvel ones, but I have to agree with what the others have said - The Dark Horse series, while having some admittedly inferior artwork, had excellent stories to them, and followed in the same dark, gritty and harsh feel of the original RoboCop world.

I remember reading the premise to Roulette, and thinking it was going to be kinda corny. But it actually had a nice and engaging story to it, and I thought it fit well in the realm of the RoboCop universe. I especially liked how it connected to Murphy's death in R1 and all that. The machines Robo had to fight looked pretty wicked, and RoboCop being an investigator was a neat aspect. The art I automatically thought was kinda iffy in places, but it isn't the mucked-up mess that was the Avatar comics, and doesn't at all detract from the story or action for me.

RoboCop Vs. Terminator is of course an excellent comic series. The artwork may not be utterly fantastic but it is plenty good enough for me, and again, it certainly helped tell the story, rather than detract from it.

The story was done very well I felt, the action and look were done with such a good dark gritty feel that I felt respected both RoboCop and Terminator. I liked the deal with RoboCop 'commanding' the Ed-209s, that was kinda neat. It also had good emotional aspects - I like how it touched on Robo's humanity as he pondered how he must act when he was faced with the prospect that he would usher in the Terminator world's future where humans are all but wiped out and machines ruled. It also showed, albeit in a small part, Robo combating with the remainders of his human feelings and desires as the head Terminator uses them against Robo/Murphy, an element I haven't really appreciated until recently.

Anyway, just a great series altogether.

Prime Suspect I only read in parts, and not for a long time at that - I don't even remember any of it now. But if the Series episode that it was based off of it was any indication, it must have been pretty good. RoboCop being framed and forced into being a fugitive is a decent and somewhat interesting story idea by itself anyway. I really need to check them back out again.

Mortal Coils I've never read, like Roulette I too thought it just sounded kind of corny. Robo is a Fed and gets sent to some other place? Bah. But, I gotta say my opinion has been partially changed by the posts I've read here. I'm especially intrigued by Sean's emphasis about how it not only took Robo outside of Detroit and into an unfamiliar setting, but did so pretty well it seems. Not to mention where he goes doesn't seem to be any less dark and harsh. In that regard, it reminds me of Corporate Wars - The aspect of RoboCop being in a radically different world and all. Definitely have to give that one a chance now.

Anyway, even though I ain't been acquainted with all the Dark Horse comics, those Dark Horse comics I have read - Roulette and RvsT - I enjoy very much. The art may not be marvelous, but the overall feel of 'em follows quite closely to that of the original R1 and R2 films, and the stories are pretty good and compliment the early films style and world.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote

When those DH comics first came out, going to the comic shop was difficult. That being the case, I missed out on quite a few of them. From the ones I have, I'm glad that what I remember the most are those wonderful covers by Nelson. Going to the comic shop on any kind of regular basis still proves difficult. I was able to get the Avatar series, but that's for another thread. Smile

Robocop vs. Terminator on the other hand, I was able to get, and absolutely love it. Walt Simonson's artwork is a little wonky, but the guy knows how to illustrate a story well.

RB 549

Scratch Card
Thats It Buster!
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Ok guys dont go mad at me for bumpin' an old thread but I couldnt find anywhere else where this might be posted.

In dark horses RoboCop v Terminator series there is a page at a basketball game (issue 1 or 2) and skynet sends a Terminator back to kill flo, when it appears the Terminator has a woman and a child next to him.

Serious question are the woman and child Terminators? If so What The Fuck? Am I missing something here? Child Terminators? If im wrong then please feel free to bring forth the Hammer!!

BTW, this series is the best thing to come from the Robo franchise (apart from R1 and R2 obvs). The story is genius, artwork is sick (the panel showing the head of Murphy hanging from wires hooked up to skynet is my personal fave), the cardboard centre folds are breathtakingly good and I personally really felt some emotion for Alex Murphy as a human mind trapped in the machine OCP built, that is only usually felt while watching Robo1.

I also think (or wish) the series could of been played out a little more maybe 6 or 8 parts instead of the 4. I just wanted more!!!

Once again apologies if what I have posted is discussed elsewhere.

RB 132

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Thats It Buster! :
Serious question are the woman and child Terminators? If so What The Fuck? Am I missing something here? Child Terminators? If im wrong then please feel free to bring forth the Hammer!!

Yup, they are terminators, and in issue 3 they battle it out with RoboCop in their endoskeleton form. I guess the idea was that they went disguised as a family or something...?

Another child terminator as well as a dog terminator also show up in issue3.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Sean_001
Vault Dweller

DC-L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote

for what it's worth, it was a nice plot twist that worked, but not to the greatest advantage.

I'm guessing the general idea Frank had was close to James Cameron's original idea. A terminator that is completely disguised. In this case, a family unit of Terminators. Besides, who would suspect a child as a terminator?

Sadly, the idea fell short, and was only used to try to talk RoboCop out of killing himself.

And the Dog terminator? Bad idea.

All in all, the DHC RVT was good, but lackluster in storytelling. A lot of plot devices were only used to further the story, and not used beyond that.

To say that that series was good, is like selling reading glasses to a blind man.

The story worked, but just barely.

On the other hand, Simonson was the best artist DHC had for the job.

But I seriously think Frank Miller doesn't know, or care, too much about the Terminator to write it well.

RB 700

OCP-stock ultra6 comic1-robocop game-nes1 game-nes4
Thats It Buster!
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote

Ok I need to go back and read again because I can not remember a child endoskeleton but definately remember the dog.

RB 132

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote

I liked the child Terminator idea. I like the way that it shows skynet using human empathy to It's advantage. After all, if you see an injured child and an injurd adult who are you going to fell more sorry for.

It reminds me of the story "Second Variety" and the small part involving a boy known as "David".

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Thats It Buster!
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote

Hey having female and child Terminators would have its advantages over big, hulking Arnie looking things. Nobody would ever suspect them. I just remember thinking where the hell did that idea come from. The dog Terminator was genius though!!

Does anyone know how this series is perceived by Terminator fans? I cant imagine they really enjoyed having another character from a different franchise destroy theirs.

I think the comic compliments both sets of worlds as Miller makes the T's even more cerebral than the movies do and RoboCop somehow becomes even more of a legendary character, even though he isnt really given much choice (being the hero of the story), his level of self sacrifice knows no ends.

RB 132

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Thats It Buster! :
Does anyone know how this series is perceived by Terminator fans?

That's a damned good question Buster, after all no one thinks of how the losing side must feel.

Seriously though, I don't think they would be as fussed as we Robo fans would be. There is only one Robo but an infinite (well, as many as can be produced) number of Terminators. Hell, the T-800 and the T-850 from the second and third Terminator films while looking the same were different models and they both got destroyed.

But as for the Terminators in the comic they are hardly poster boy images of Terminators. Arnie is the iconic one so seeing him get destroyed would probably push their buttons a little more but as for three random ones who gives a shit? Terminators are cannon fodder even in the films when it shows glimpses of the future.

Think of it in the way if RoboCable got destroyed. I don't think anyone would care. If the T-800/T-850 model was the only operational terminator they might give a damn but as it is, "he's" pretty expendable if you know what I mean.

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote

The "family unit" disguise is a good idea . . . .

. . . . had they not teleported right in the center of a basketball game viewed by hundreds of people.

Regardless, I have always really like d both Miller and Simonson's work on this.

RB 549

Scratch Card
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote

I just finished reading Robocop Roulette and was definitely a little disappointing. I did have really high expectations though. For years it was always the one thing I had never read and as a kid I thought the ED-209 on the first issue cover looked awesome. I finally got around to buying it online and while it was an interesting tale it felt incomplete. I think John Arcudi planned on continuing the story, which was already a continuation of Prime Directives, but never got the chance to. The mystery is left unresolved. This would have been a great start for an ongoing series as I do think Arduci's take on Robo as a character is great. I also would have liked to see more about the stolen ED-209's that are popping up on the streets. While it looks like Dark Horse cut Robo off a little too soon, he did have a good run there for sure.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Superquad7
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
I just finished reading Robocop Roulette and was definitely a little disappointing. I did have really high expectations though. For years it was always the one thing I had never read and as a kid I thought the ED-209 on the first issue cover looked awesome. I finally got around to buying it online and while it was an interesting tale it felt incomplete. I think John Arcudi planned on continuing the story, which was already a continuation of Prime Directives, but never got the chance to. The mystery is left unresolved. This would have been a great start for an ongoing series as I do think Arduci's take on Robo as a character is great. I also would have liked to see more about the stolen ED-209's that are popping up on the streets. While it looks like Dark Horse cut Robo off a little too soon, he did have a good run there for sure.

I can certainly appreciate the artwork much more now as an adult. When I was younger, I was always so frustrated for how artists took so many liberties with Murphy. Sullivan did well, and hit his stride towards the end. I still dislike Mark Bagley's artwork on the RoboCop 2 movie adaptation. Dark Horse's work seemed to hit a balance, I suppose. Even as much as I like Simonson's work, he took similar stylistic liberties. Because comic book artwork?

RB 549

Scratch Card
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Superquad7 :

I can certainly appreciate the artwork much more now as an adult.

I hear ya! As a kid, I couldn't stand the artwork in "Prime Suspect", but now it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did back then.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Games & Comics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard