New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

New remake comics by Boom studios
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Optimus
O-L5*

O-L5*

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote

New tie-in comics from Boom Studios. Four anthology-style one-shots all set in the remake world. Expect Boom's RoboCop one shots to come out in the weeks ahead of the movie's release.

Cover #1
RoboCop: Beta, written by Ed Brisson and art from Emilio Laiso, with covers from Greg Smallwood, looks at the test subjects that came before Alex Murphy to bridge the gap between man and machine.

Cover #2
In RoboCop: Memento Mori, Alex Murphy has to face his past demons before he can control his armored future, featuring the talents of Frank J. Barbiere with art from João Vieira and covers by Chris Mooneyham.

Cover #3
Author Joe Harris and artist Piotr Kowalski bring us Robocop: To Live and Die in Detroit, a tale that sees RoboCop proving to be too good at his job and the corporate overlords not being too happy about it. Can OCP make him fall in line with the way things work?

Cover #4
And finally, in RoboCop: Hominem Ex Machina, Michel Moreci writes the inner conflict when RoboCop shuts down, but the man inside is still very much alive. Jason Copland and Riley Rossmo will provide art and covers respectively.

SOURCE:
http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/11/14/robocop-tie-in-comics-announced-by-boom-studios/

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/11/exclusive-first-look-at-boom-studios-robocop-tie-in-comics/

** Post edited for news forum

RB 1103

remake1
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote

First one looks nice, reminiscent of R2 cain-reflected poster, and I think could work nice as a real movie poster.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote

Fun to see such varied artwork. Issue 2 almost looks like a vintage 70s style comic.

As before though, apart from the helmet the black suit is kinda dull. Can't be much fun for the artist to draw.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote

That damn bare hand! Waiting for a comic that shows that thing getting blown off and then replaced with a matching robotic hand.

And then another issue where the entire black suit is blown off and then replaced with the silver one. Wink

RB 3527

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote

My man Yarbs - I too still hate that damn hand. The second cover (upper right) would look goddamned perfect otherwise. :roll:

That said, these aren't that bad, actually ok on their own. Main thing as always is the black suit. It just does not look that good, and even less so in this comic-book art - It just doesn't register much visually in this format, and indeed I agree with Archive that it can't be fun to draw something like that.

Anyway, of these, the first two are my favs - The one with the reflection looks alright, definitely reminiscent of R2 (starting to see a lot of R2 connections lately) and of course the one with the classic style suit. It is a bit sharp looking, I agree it has a nice 'vintage' feel to it, which is pretty neat.

Last two aren't so good to me, though I admit the the red in the last one is a nice and striking visual contrast to the other ones, though I feel it would have worked better with the silver suit (the red visor goes against that contrast). Bah, oh well. Not too bad for what they are.

It is too bad RoboCop couldn't be rid of a red visor in comic art though. tongue

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Optimus
O-L5*

O-L5*

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote

On the second cover, we can see Clara Murphy and Dr. Dennett Norton but who are those bandits? And on the fourth cover who is that maniac on the screen? The fourth cover looks like the original movie's dream scene (when Murphy saw Clarence and his gang).

RB 1103

remake1
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote

Like some of the ideas here; sadly the execution wasnīt too nice to me. To me, I think it could have a better inker or something. Iīd choose the fourth cover. And cover two as well.

Watching the art styles on their RoboCop titles makes me wanna try to send some of my stuff to them...

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote

You would be willing to draw Rebootcop!? Blasphemer!

Actually man it would be bitchin' to see what you could do with it. I know Sean would do pretty good work but he avoids the remake like gang rape. tongue So yeah man, maybe you should hit 'em up. Smile

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
BurnOne4Robo
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
I think it could have a better inker or something.

Yea, I think you're right on with the assessment. I'm not sure i'm impressed with any of them, to be honest. I've never really liked much that came out of Boom. I'm a Robocop fan and an owner of a few thousand comics, and I very highly doubt I will pick this up. So an average comic reader that doesn't have such an affinity for Robocop would probably not even give these a second look. The fourth one looks like it was painted with water color...which is OK for maybe a variant cover that is looking for a more unusual look, but not typically something that is going to make your cover pop.

RB 226

robocop-figure4 nuke-black-thunder magnavolt
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
You would be willing to draw Rebootcop!? Blasphemer!

Actually man it would be bitchin' to see what you could do with it. I know Sean would do pretty good work but he avoids the remake like gang rape. tongue So yeah man, maybe you should hit 'em up. Smile

Well, they work with the original design as well tongue

Maybe Iīll try to get some cover mock ups and send the whole thing to them.

As for the RebootCop costume, itīs a pain in the ass to draw. The original one has a purpose on design, the new one looks like a puzzle. Too many details on the suit and you donīt know why it was made that way (look at the legs). On those covers it looks they did a muscle guy and then colour it dark grey. They skipped a lot of details.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote

Issue 2 chrome body all the way!
I want to like issue 3 on the bike - it has a great feel about it, but the suit is weak and not Robo looking.

In that forth issue, are the doctors in white suits placing chrome parts on top of the black suit?

Is this a four part series of the whole movie, or just a prelude to the film?

RB 4892

Ed-260
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
As for the RebootCop costume, itīs a pain in the ass to draw. The original one has a purpose on design, the new one looks like a puzzle. Too many details on the suit and you donīt know why it was made that way (look at the legs). On those covers it looks they did a muscle guy and then colour it dark grey. They skipped a lot of details.

You are having a point there, the original costume worked as a whole and could be simplified, drawn with less lines and details, etc. and you would still get the idea, it has its identity only with the silhouette, or the main body parts, etc.

The new black suit is as you said a puzzle, it's all in the inner lines and details, the texture and relief, impossible to simplify without making it look like a grey mass of nothing.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote

Edd 209 :
I want to like issue 3 on the bike - it has a great feel about it, but the suit is weak and not Robo looking.

I agree there, it's a great action shot and looks awesome, but yet again, would have been better with the original style suit (As well as a car, fuck that damn bike business).

It still looks good though, just hard to like it as you said.

RB 52679

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote

Well, well... more merch... I didn't see it coming, honestly.
I'm not following the "Last Stand" series, so I don't know how well Boom are handling Robo, but I guess this should increase awareness to the remake to some extent.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard