New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Johnny Rehab
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Kamdan
R-L1

R-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote

What are your thoughts of this advertisement in RoboCop 3? I always get a good laugh out of this, since it was so unexpected. I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this and if they find it as funny as I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fprEdlSn9Tc

RB 137

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote

I must say it's one of my favourite bits in the film. I do look forward to seeing it come on. I just love the "oh-no-it's jonny rehab-hooray"!

RB 4892

Ed-260
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote

Despite adding to the already strong 'toys and kids' stigma, I agree with Edd, it also is a decent bit, certainly one of the not-utterly-horrible things in R3.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
OCP-001
O-L5

O-L5

Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote

I don't want to go offtopic, but talking about Robocop 3, is there a topic discussing the "Robocop vs Otomo" fight?

RB 341

ultra2
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote

^ Probably in many diluted forms around the archive.

There is so much wrong with that 'fight' sequence I wouldn't know where to start first...

RB 4892

Ed-260
RegalSin
;

<font color=102457>;<font color=C0D9D9>

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote

Well, I love all the OCP skits and commercials they had, from all Robocop series, including the comics.

Looking back on it, JR sends the message of poor advertisment. JR being the standard blonde, but instead of non-European bullies, we got the opposite. This uses the tatic we see in films, where they rarely show a non-european person being the violator. Lets make a commercial with a bunch of white bullies picking on a black little kid.

In fact that was the only wrong with this commercial. JR cartoonishly beating the snot out of the punks was okay. The little kid, being a dumb kid was okay. Everything else was okay.

Personally Commander Cash is ten times better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgznN9De58c

"'Hey their little soilder, you sure asked for that didn't you. OMGSH."

COmmande Cash for the win.

Pollution = China's current state of recycling.

RB 484

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote

RegalSin :
Looking back on it, JR sends the message of poor advertisment. JR being the standard blonde, but instead of non-European bullies, we got the opposite. This uses the tatic we see in films, where they rarely show a non-european person being the violator. Lets make a commercial with a bunch of white bullies picking on a black little kid.

Like many of the sarcastic predictions throughout Robocop, I definitely see this coming true. After years of the white media negatively portraying blacks, latinos, natives, etc as stereotypes and villains, some sort of affirmative action thing seems to be going on where those same groups of people CAN'T be the villain anymore. I'm not saying we're at this point yet, but I've seen a noticeable shift towards portraying minorities as heros /victims rather than villains to a sometimes extreme degree. There are plenty of exceptions, but look at something like the new Superman movie, which made Perry White black and Jimi Olsen a girl...I don't think that was an accident. They purposefully wanted to add some prominent minority characters in a positive role so it wasn't just a movie full of white men + Lois Lane. This type of thing has been happening for a while now in various form, and it's getting close to the Johnny Rehab point where soon mass media will refuse to show a minority as a true villain, because even the black villains of recent times seem to have some decent redeeming quality so that the audience empathizes with them. I could easily see children's advertisements in the future depicting a bunch of white boys terrorizing black, chinese, even palestinian boys and girls.

See, even Robocop 3 had some the bold social commentary Robocop is so famous for.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote

I dont like it. While commercials in the first two were played straight even thought being intentionally funny, and touched upon corporations, capitalism and marketing, JR thing was just straight up comedy without any real commentary behind it. The commercials in RoboCop and R2 were satires for American consumption and other issues. For example, Nukem commercial showed the inappropriate family play in war, the sunblock commercial showed that most of the drugs and cosmetics do more damage than good etc. But in R3 we just get an action figure commercial in a cartoon. No double meaning, no innuendos

the thing about JR being blonde having some social meaning I think is a big reaching and that theres no meaning behind it or any indication that hes non-American at all. Hell, hes even called Johnny. Hes just blonde

Johnny Bravo was blonde, yet I never got a sense that he may be European

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:38 am Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
I dont like it. While commercials in the first two were played straight even thought being intentionally funny, and touched upon corporations, capitalism and marketing, JR thing was just straight up comedy without any real commentary behind it. The commercials in RoboCop and R2 were satires for American consumption and other issues. For example, Nukem commercial showed the inappropriate family play in war, the sunblock commercial showed that most of the drugs and cosmetics do more damage than good etc. But in R3 we just get an action figure commercial in a cartoon. No double meaning, no innuendos

I feel that even though it may not have been a big social commentary it was still relevent to the film itself. OCP hiring bloodthirsty soldiers to to throw out/kill innnocent civilains, and then spinning those events into a positive media presence. Making money off of it too in the form of toys. It fit well with OCP being completely evil and caring only about the almighty $.

RB 3527

BurnOne4Robo
Sgt-L2

Sgt-L2

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote

I actually hate it. But, I hate pretty much everything about R3. This particular bit just does nothing but remind us, once again, that this is a kids movie.

RB 226

robocop-figure4 nuke-black-thunder magnavolt
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote

To see the commercial and the Rehabs as a whole put into a better context, read the Avatar Press run of comics where they serve a much more interesting role than Robocop 3.

RB 1658

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Yarbles :
KidGoesWild :

I feel that even though it may not have been a big social commentary it was still relevent to the film itself. OCP hiring bloodthirsty soldiers to to throw out/kill innnocent civilains, and then spinning those events into a positive media presence. Making money off of it too in the form of toys. It fit well with OCP being completely evil and caring only about the almighty $.

MM I dont know, I always took it as just a toy commercial, as if you have an action figure of a cop or a soldier, just there to give us a laugh about a capitalization on rehabs. If I wouldnt know R3 much, I could suspect there may be a deeper meaning behind it, but not with R3. They proved to me, buy completelely misunderstanding the nature of the humor of the first two and the social commentary behind it, that its a pretty straight forward action flick for all ages, nothing more. They replaced the witty humor with social coomentary with a Police Academy style of straight forward "derp" humor, so I wouldnt think they put any deeper thoughts into their one and only commercial about a rehab toy other than just a funny wink at how OCP is trying to squeeze a buck in the market from having rehabs

RB 525

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
They proved to me, buy completelely misunderstanding the nature of the humor of the first two and the social commentary behind it, that its a pretty straight forward action flick for all ages, nothing more. They replaced the witty humor with social coomentary with a Police Academy style of straight forward "derp" humor, so I wouldnt think they put any deeper thoughts into their one and only commercial about a rehab toy other than just a funny wink at how OCP is trying to squeeze a buck in the market from having rehabs.

To see the commercial and the Rehabs as a whole put into a better context, read the Avatar Press run of comics where they serve a much more interesting role than Robocop 3.

RB 1658

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
KidGoesWild :
They proved to me, buy completelely misunderstanding the nature of the humor of the first two and the social commentary behind it, that its a pretty straight forward action flick for all ages, nothing more. They replaced the witty humor with social coomentary with a Police Academy style of straight forward "derp" humor, so I wouldnt think they put any deeper thoughts into their one and only commercial about a rehab toy other than just a funny wink at how OCP is trying to squeeze a buck in the market from having rehabs.

Which ones, the regular run or the Boom's adaptation?

RB 525

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard