New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2014 - REVIEW
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote

The big question is of course if RoboCop 2014 is such a disaster that many thought it would be. The answer is luckily no. But we don't get a masterpiece, classic or a widely different take on the RoboCop character either. We get something in between.

ROBOCOP ARCHIVE REVIEW

RoboCop 2014 is in essence a movie that plays it safe. While the original was shocking and revolutionary in places with its bold imaginary and multi layered story, the reboot plays it completely straight forward. You can't miss the points director Jose Padilha is making and has discussed in great lengths in various interviews. And if you happened to miss it the first time, you can be sure it will be repeated many times during the duration of the movie; mainly via the Samuel Jackson driven segments, but also the the boardroom meetings where the discussions will spell things out very clearly.

Despite assuring comments to the contrary by the film makers, the PG rating is very obvious and is perhaps one of the main reasons the movie feels somewhat tame and safe. While Robo does kill people, it is all filmed to not be too shocking with a heavy dose of shaky cam.

RoboCop 2014 starts out strong, and is at its best before RoboCop is free to patrol the streets. In fact all scenes with the silver suit are close to perfection. After that the story seemingly looses some if its focus as Robo chases after his "killer." A hunt that is surprisingly unexciting and with bad guys that never really gets any time to build any kind of personality. The main bad guy is a nobody and the hunt for him never feels interesting.

While the acting is overly very good; especially Gary Oldman who shines, few of the characters in the movie get any chance to display any kind of personality. This is especially true with the supporting cast that stays bland and one dimensional for the full movie (The bad guys are particularly one note.) The main actors are all good though, turning a pretty flat script into something genuinely entertaining.

Switching gender for Officer Lewis remains a mystery since the character is barely allowed to do much and gender didn't really matter for the character (unlike the love triangle in the leaked script). Perhaps there are plans to expand the role for a potential sequel, but as it stands it was an unnecessary down trade and giving viewers a kick ass female character would have been the better choice. As it stands, the main female role is a wife, with no personality of her own, who spends the whole movie worrying and crying over her husband.

As for director Jose Padilha, he does a good job. Unfortunately whether it was studio interference or some other reason, he wasn't able to put much personality into his movie. It's capable work but lacks any kind of director identity. This is reminiscent to Tim Burtons "Planet of the Apes" movie that also was capable work, but overall played too safe and didn't pack much of a punch.

VERDICT
RoboCop 2014 is a entertaining movie but lacks its own personality and becomes somewhat bland as a result.

6 of 10

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RMorrison81
O-L5

O-L5

Comment: Is there anything I can reasonably do to change your course of action..?

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Well, seeing as I saw it this afternoon here in the Uk, I thought I'd better take the first step and post my review!

SPOILER FREE REVIEW

The one phrase that can sum up my experience.... Pleasantly Surprised.

My expectations had been dipping over the last week or so in anticipation of the movie, so I was quite relieved when the credits rolled that, in my opinion, this was streets ahead of Robocop 2 and 3. Now, we all agree that this would never touch the holy grail of the original, and if you go in with that in mind, and that this is a totally different film then you'll be fine.

The suit looks really good up on the big screen, the first suit you'll be pleased to know is really enhanced by the sfx, you'll know what I mean when you look at the rib areas and the like, and the black suit, especially in the night looks pretty neat. There are nods in there to all of the films, one in particular that reminded me of number 3, I'm sure you'll all spot it too, it sticks out like a sore thumb for us die hards!

Yes, some of the action sequences in the middle of the film fall dangerously into the generic column but to be fair it's a small criticism as I think that a lot of bigger films are ruined by ridiculously bloated action sequences (I'm looking at you Man of Steel and Transformers!), and I think the only real purpose they serve are to advance the story rather than be wanton Bayhem...

The emotional core of the story really worked for me, as well as the political and corporate satire, there where a couple of moments early on where you did feel some sadness to the situation of the characters involved.

Performance wise, I thought Kinnaman did a half decent job as Murphy, he did show a fair bit of range and he managed to garner sympathy out of me, Abbie Cornish seemed a little underdeveloped as Clara Murphy... Gary Oldman is by far the best thing in this film, he seems to elevate the material in any film he works in (apart from Lost in Space!) and he manages to inject some class and gravitas into this film. Michael Keaton, was okay and Jackie Earl Haley seems to be having a lot of fun in this too.

Out of context and on a stereo, the soundtrack didn't do much for me. In the context of the film though, having seen it in it's finished form it actually comes into it's own, and whilst it's not up to the standard of the original, or a Jaws or even an ET or Aliens, it's actually a lot better than I thought it was. There are some truly haunting moments in this film, and some of the soundtrack fits so well into the situations.

It's quite difficult to write a spoiler free review here, because there is so much more I want to talk about, but the final scene is an absolute hoot, and I have to applaud the filmakers for the choice of ending credits music. Never even crossed my mind for them to use it, but in place, it's actually the perfect song for the film, as Mark Kemode says, it all clicks into place.

Overall, a really enjoyable 2 hours of entertainment, although I think the older two men who I followed out of the cinema where a bit over the top when they said it was "Miles ahead of the original". I do think after seeing it now that the negative reviews that I have come across make me wonder if those reviewers had actually watched the same film as me.

I'll give it a 8.5/10 (The original gets a 10/10)

RB 315

Diegoeichan
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote

c'mom guys!
tell us more SPOILERS! Very Happy

RB 260

kodatarule
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Comment: RoboCop is the best.Terminator good,but RoboCop owns!

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Diegoeichan :
c'mom guys!
tell us more SPOILERS! Very Happy

A friend from another city is watching the movie right now he went like an hour ago from 19:00 now it is 20:13 I think 1 hour past btw he said he will tell me if it's good.He likes the original robo and liked the parody our robocop remake so I think he will have right opinion. I am excited as hell going to see the movie tomorrow so yeah can't wait ! Very Happy

RB 530

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote

Just coming back from it!

And I enjoyed it! Don't get me wrong, it certainly has flaws, but it could've been much MUCH worse.

NO MAJOR PLOT SPOILERS, BUT I DO DISCUSS ELEMENTS OF SOME SCENES, INCLUDING THE ENDING!

First off, the movie's structure is a bit weird. The first half has a lot of flashback sequences, while the rest is just straightforward. That aspect, I think, could've been pulled off better.

Second, don't go into this movie expecting a lot of action, because there really isn't. Yes, he shoots from time to time, but there are really only 4 "big" shootouts and all of them are relatively short.

The black suit works better for me now. There are some mechanical CGI effects added to it. However I think you will all be pleased to hear that the silver suit (with an added police badge) is mounted on Murphy again in the end.

As for the story - it works! It is quite different from the original, but does carry the essence of RoboCop. The characters are all believable, they don't necessarily say how they feel, but the actors do manage to pull it off, even if I had my doubts about Kinnaman. Michael Keaton wasn't really given an opportunity to show what he is really capable of, definetely not a very expressionistic performance by him, besides the scene where he talks to Norton, which we were shown in advance. Clara and Lewis are a bit downplayed, I think the movie could've used more scenes with them. Norton was a good character, I liked that he didn't give in to money and eventually was truly on Murphy's side. And a great performance by Oldman.
I didn't like Sam Jackson and he was the main reason Novak didn't work for me.

If there is ONE thing I hated about the movie (besides the yodelling - YES, that's still in there), was the ending. The final segment of "The Novak Element" ruined it for me. I agree, they needed to wrap up in some way, but Novak's patriotic speech and beeped-out cursing was uncalled for and either I didn't get the satire, or it didn't work.
I would've prefered if the movie ended when the lab doors closed. In fact, most people in the theatre thought that was the end and started getting up, only to sit back in their seats a few moments later.

The ending song, unfortunately, I couldn't listen to properly, due to people standing up and the workers stopping the screening. At first, it felt out of place and inappropriate, but I think if I had the chance to listen to the lyrics, it could've worked for me.
The rest of the music... wait... what music? Seriously, besides the homages to the original theme and the horrible yoddle-song, not for a second did the music grab my attention.

The scenes in China I thought worked really well, especially the scene where Murphy is shown what's really left of him and asks Norton to kill him. And I think the scene where Maddox mocks Murphy by playing the Tinman's song from "Wizard of Oz" is brilliant!!
After that, things lose a bit of steam. Murphy goes after his killer, but the villain is just there for the sake of having someone kill Murphy. He isn't developed, you don't care for him, you don't feel intimidated and that makes the sequence a really wasted opportunity. "The Novak Element" didn't really work for me and like I said, the final segment was horrible and ruined the ending for me.

The homages I liked and let me tell you, when the title appeared and that theme kicked in, my smile was ear-to-ear.
A missed opportunity to me is when the marketing guy says that kids love it, Sellers could've said "Well, we aren't planning on building a toy" Very Happy

Overall, the movie was much better than what I expected. And while I do think the trailers show a bit too much, there still are surprises!

I definetely wouldn't call it the shit stain on the RoboCop franchise. It is definetely a product of it's time and while certainly nowhere near as good as the one true Robo, it is an interesting take on the character.

Judging it as its own movie, not comparing it to the original, I think, after a first viewing, I can easily give it a 7 out of 10. That might change on following viewings, but for now, I feel that we got something much better than what we expected and what we could've ended up with.

Overall: 7/10 (but might change on later viewings)

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Selma
O-L1*

O-L1*

Comment: Stay human

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote

I will not copy my first writing from the spoiler thread to this today new createt topic again.
For me it is very difficult to explain my feelings about this film in this language, cause my vocabulary is limited.

Saying it for short: This movie had potential and it's moments.

Yes, you can try to make the 'perfect' movie, but when there is still an original, it would become very difficult, 'cause fans will compare the old with the new.
Robocop was in the past a sensation. The idea and that what was created.
Now, i think, the Director tried to make something new. In some parts it worked, in others, not.
(Maybe we can look at the new created Star Trek. Many ppl like it, and many of the old ones hate it, and yes, i'm one of them)

In some parts of the movie I got the feeling Murphy isn't more than a puppet. Ok. They want it in this way, but there were many other People that stays truely characterless. His family... for me the scenes were tastless. They didn't reach me. And our Dr. Norton, I'm not sure if I can call him 'The wizzard of Oz' or 'Dr. Frankenstein'. Sometimes I thought it is a movie about him and not Murphy.
Novak: I know who signs your pay check, and sorry... I don't liked that character. Mattok too. Murphy should taser you at the first meeting to death... dissolved problem.
Lewis was a good character in my eyes. I liked him much.

I have my problem with the music of the ending credits. Not so my style.

In german we would say "Es war gutes und unterhaltsames Popcornkino" It was nice.
When you wana see it without thinking about the original, than it was cool. But please for the next time: More emotions!

So much from me to that.

RB 199

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote

Good reads, guys. Seems to be about on par for what I was (er, still am) expecting. Decent, even pretty good here and there, but thats about it seems.. some aspects I am quite disappointed with though. Nevertheless, as I've always said, final judgment comes with my own viewing.

Still, good to have an insight into what we're looking at, and I appreciate you guys for staying somewhat spoiler-free. In fact I'd say big spoiler-filled discussion should continue in the other thread for at least the next week or so, 'til we in States get the flick.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Dave74
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote

3rd time lucky so this is where they are meant to go, really really sorry about this, here's my;

Robocop review.

(SPOILERS)

Funnily enough when trying to describe this film, the first thing that popped into my mind was Scrooged , yes in reality it’s a totally different kind of film but somehow similar in terms of taking something you know beat for beat but changing it so subtly it perceptively becomes almost a totally different animal.

Romero once made a good point about making a film such as a Batman film that sure you must stick to the rules of that “franchise” but you should be able to throw in a few of your own ideas, the film makers behind Robocop 2014 sure did that and then some.

It sure takes a cool concept, and kind of flips it on its head, sure Murphy was beat up in the original and heck even died but seeing this new interpretation of him just there a, head a pair of lungs and a disembodied hand, well as much as I’d like to have the Robocop treatment to avoid death it’s something that would take some getting used to just being a fancy version of a Futurama cameo!

Sure all the fan favourites are there, OCP, Satire, robot renegade cops and even the theme music but it’s something else too, the very fact as just mentioned Murphy doesn’t die in this one yeah it’s a subtle touch but an interesting one all the same, what would it be like to a “normal” bloke one minute and a basically a sleep walking crime fighter the next? It would be like waking up from a bad hangover but doing “good” instead of embarrassing.

It’s kind of hard not to get excited though seeing him driving around on a cool bike and having a base of operations, heck even seeing Robo having a panic attack in China is well, I wasn’t expecting it let’s just say that. Also seeing the possibility of amputees playing guitar is something super cool.

Might it just be a forgotten remake in the future, maybe? Will just older fans raise a wry smile at the lines such as “dead or alive you’re coming with me”, yeah probably. But it sure is better than most remakes and just to get the icing on the cake it got a terrible review on the BBC flag ship film show Film 2014 and do you know what that just makes me like it even more.

Now at least we have another Robocop film to pull off the shelf and watch when it reaches the home market and proof if it was needed that great characters and great concepts never die! And to paraphrase the great George Romero again how he liked to make a “dead” film ever 10 years to show the differences in the society, I’d sure like to see another few of these down the road and see just how close we are to have a real robot police officer.

Also any film that ends with The Clash’s I Fought the Law and ends with a final blast of the Robocop theme (while mentioning Orion Pictures too), and sending you off on your merry way whistling a great theme tune, well there’s worse crimes, no pun intended.

Final thought: How funny was the bad cop, Robocop line! Well I thought it was funny, anyway!

tongue

RB 45

goldeneyegod
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote

(This is kinda a repost I put it in the wrong section but its been edited with spoilers this time)

Well guys just got back from seeing the movie I'm going to give my honest opinion with spoilers. So is the movie any good. The simple answer is yes. Is it amazing, not exactly, is it better than the first......no but to be honest they are both very different movies with very different themes. In fact I would go almost to say that it really isn't a action movie more a robotic drama (if such thing exists it does now). There really is very little action to be honest and what action there is I felt was a little abrupt and shyed away anytime something violent might be happening. Such as having a shoot out in the dark, looked quit visually good but always felt it was like that to hide the blood.

The first film shocks you with violence this one shocks you with emotion for the character. There is one particular scene which is quite sad and unnerving to see. This is when Murphy asks to see whats left of him and all there is, is his head and the tube attached to his lungs and that severed hand it was really creepy and his reaction to just kill me and tell his wife it didn't work in bringing him back. Kinda reminded me of robo 2 in a way when he meets his wife.

Probably my biggest gripe with the whole film is that it just lacks that whole kinda punch which the first film had. I just want Robocop go balls to the walls at times and he kinda does but it has much less impact because of the violence being toned down. I really feel the rating stopped the film from being a great movie to just good one. Although I am eager to see more of this character and it's screaming out for a sequel to elaborate on what happens next I just hope it does well enough to see that happen. Kinda reminds me of the first x men movie and batman begins.

Kinnerman as Murphy though was very good at conveying emotion and was cast quite well, the rest of the cast were also very good. Probably disliked Samuel Jackson the most but I think that was the point of the his character. Don't think Weller could have played this robo very well but also Kinnerman showed little glimpses of Weller in his performance particularly when they effectively turn him into a machine and stop his emotions.

On a plus note both suits looked great in action but for me the silver suit just stole the show it looked perfect on screen and the way it moved was fantastic. Not that the black suit was bad just didn't have that much visual impact after seeing the silver one. Also no third suit at all, i was hoping the last battle he might quickly get put into the silver suit after the ed 209 fight scene but it never happened. Also no Auto 9 at all which was a disappointing but I'm sure it will appear in the sequel (fingers crossed). The ending kinda felt like the deleted scene that was cut from the original film. Was hoping robo would come in during the news brake and arrest Novak but it never happened. Nice to see him back in the silver suit at the end but a pose or something would have been nice at the end. Little under whelmed by the ending though to be honest.

RB 166

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote

Just back from seeing it. Overall I liked it. Wasn't totally thrilled with it, but it was decent enough. I don't want to write a review right now, but I will summarise what I thought were the good points and bad points of it all:- (contains SPOILERS!)

GOOD

· Silver and black suits looked much better on screen than any promo/leaked pics and night shots with the black suit looked really well and also on the motorbike. Much, much better in fact.

· Interesting story and some wonderful effects for certain scenes, especially the scene where we see what's really left of Murphy under that armour.

· Acting was quite good from the leads, and of course, Oldman shone and Keaton was fun to see on the big screen again.

· The original theme is in the movie at the start and appears again in the middle. When it appeared at the start my heart was racing, I was so excited, and for most of the beginning of RoboCop's training etc. when he's silver I was loving it! The theme also appears again during the end credits but I didn't stick around for them. As soon as I Fought The Law started playing I thought "what a terrible choice of song, this would have been perfect for the remixed original theme" (see the ending point above)

BAD

· Quite a lot of talking and no action, the stars were right when they said this is a thinking man's action film. I'm all for intelligent films, but the film is called RoboCop and you expect to see some gun play. There was a lot more thinking than action that's for sure, but what we got looked OK, apart from...

· The PG-13 / 12A rating, meaning that violence, although there in a few scenes, was quite tame. It was disappointing to see everyone dying like in a James Bond movie where they get shot, but they just fall to the ground, no blood, no real sense they were really injured/blown apart.

· The ending - we go back to the silver suit. Great, but it's not a mysterious 3rd suit or anything, it's just the silver suit from the start of the movie. A bit disappointing, but in fairness, I did like the black suit but I think if there is going to be a sequel, at least now he will be silver for all of it, and the silver one did look slightly better on screen and I enjoyed watching it. Also, the actual end was a bit anti-climactic and it should have ended with the family being re-united and the doors closing and the original theme music from earlier being played again. The final Samuel L. Jackson report was not needed. Much like they took the final Media Break out of the original, they should have done that here and left it as a DVD extra. SLJ gets to say 'motherfucker' and it's part beeped because he's on a TV show but apart form that there's not much swearing apart from some 'shits' and 'assholes'. The one 'fuck' in the movie is said quickly and quietly in a rushed scene and you might miss it. In fact, the fuck is the only reason it's PG-13. They could have easily taken it out and left this as a PG.

· Some of the non-lead actors/characters annoyed me. The Pope character was too annoying for my liking. Thankfully he wasn't in the movie long but the scenes he was in he annoyed me. Wasn't too fussed on the Mattox character or actor for that matter. There was no reason for having the female legal assistant character, that could have been that character combined with Pope and it would have been better, but I'd have preferred the woman to Pope.

· Quite a few characters were underdeveloped, especially the main bad guy, Vallon, has no explanation as to who he is, why he is so bad and feared and has no major death scene, he just gets killed normally along with other members of his gang in a night vision shoot out. No excitement, just blah. If Sellars is supposed to be the bag guy then RoboCop's reason for killing him is pretty weak. He may have been head of the company, but it was Norton who emotionally conned Clara into signing him over to OC and Norton and his team did all the work. Oh, but Norton befriends Murphy and feels sorry for him so that's fine, just go after someone else then?

· The main action scenes have already been released online as teasers. There's nothing really new to see action wise. We've already been shown it, and if like me, you watched the majority of the released teasers, there's a good section of the movie around 1/3 of the way in where it's almost scene after scene of stuff we've seen before but in a different order. I did feel at one point like I had seen a fair chunk of the film prior to this.

There's probably more, but I don't want to think about it all now, I want to sleep on it and see how I feel once I've had time to take it all in. If I had to sum it up into a score now I'd probably give it 6.5 or possibly 7/10 but that may change. It was certainly more enjoyable than RoboCop 3, the series, PD and anything else RoboCop related, but is nowhere near the greatness of the 1987 original and I'm still trying to decide if I like RoboCop 2 better than this or not. It could possibly be a tie right now to be honest...

RB 18145

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote

Mark Kermode, a very hard to please British film critic discussed RoboCop on his weekly radio show and it was surprising to hear his comments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbehua5MhO8

RB 18145

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote

That was awesome! I'm still digesting all that I saw.

I was almost dancing when the original soundtrack came on at the beginning!

I was expecting little action, crappy black suit and annoying support actors.

What I got was a very intelligent film. What happens when you put a man in the machine - what happens to the man and his family, what the company thinks, what the public thinks etc....

There's so much I want to blurb about I could spend all day writing a review.

I liked:
- real day settings. Not a lame superhero film.
- red visor in darkness
- comedy moments from Pope - we were in hysterics
- Maddox subtle evilness
- The CGI of Murphy and his organs
- Taser gun, yes I liked it. In this day and age he shouldn't be able to kill everyone, and that is the whole point of the social commentary of the film. In fact I was expecting him to not kill anyone, but he does and is done very well. I was surprised the film wasn't age restricted.
- Family moments - personal heartstrings were pulling
- Of course Oldman - wow!
- Lewis - strangely it worked.
- Quicker Robo and Robovision upgrade
- GF thoroughly enjoyed it = wahoo!!!!
+ more

No blood and gore? Who cares, wasn't needed, I didn't miss it, get over it, Robo is more than that!

I want to watch it again.
Some stuff I missed or would like to see, but meh, that's what the original is for. This is different, a different beast of a film.

Shame the main bad guy wasn't anything to write home about, and the ending was very closed off, as a little 'could there be a sequel' cliffhanger would be nice.

It's definitely a film to watch. Trailers and photography don't do it justice!

RB 4892

Ed-260
Optimus
O-L5*

O-L5*

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote

OK! Guys, I saw the RoboCop remake 1 hour ago here in Hungary. I'm very excited and I want to share my experiences with you.

I feel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde about the remake, but before I start my report, I would advice to every RoboCop fan to go to the cinema and watch the movie, probably you will have mixed feelings just like me, but the movie is definitely not a shit.

OK! Where should I start?

The remake is completely differs from the original movie and therefore; it has a lot of positive and negative things.

The best part of the remake is definitely the story, it was quite interesting from the beginning, when we saw the first trailers. It is funny that the story is actually not so original, if we analyze it from scene to scene, we realize that the writers took a lot of different ideas from other movies, but the final result is very clever and well put together and really enjoyable.

If I need to describe the new RoboCop I would say that he is a mixture of the greatest cyborg characters, such as Steve Austin, Anakin Skywalker, Frankenstein, Marcus Wright and the Tin Man from Oz, but the final result is very good. For me the best scene was definitly when Dr. Denett showed to Alex what is left from him. It was a very emotional, sad and shocking scene, and this is the first time when we see RoboCop cry.

For me it was also positive, that the movie is not full with CGI, actually the only CGI generated scenes are those that you can see in the trailers.

The scene where Sellars and Norton searching for the perfect subject for the RC2000 project and they saw the photo from a fat policeman who lost his limbs is a really dark joke, unfortunately the only good joke in the whole movie.

As I mentioned, I have also a negaive point of view about the movie.

My biggest problem is definitely the PG-13 rating, the original movie contained a lot of bloody and gory scenes, but this remake fell on the other side. THE REMAKE CONTAINS NO BLOOD, NOTHING. This remake also has a drug factory shootout scene, but it is the worst action scene. This was the point when I asked myself: It is the year 2014 and this is the best they can show in a RoboCop movie?
Guys. Really, it is unbelievable for me that those scenes where Robo fights against real criminals are the most boring action scenes that I have ever saw. Sad but true, I hoped that Padilha will shoot some great action scenes, but no. At this level Verhoeven's original knocks out Padilha's remake.

It was also depressing that this movie doesn't have real villains just pussys like Antoine Vallon.

I also hoped that, Mattox and his exo-skeleton will have a bigger role. After watching Elysium, I thought Mattox and Robo will beat each other just like Kruger and Max did, but unfortunately no. Mattox was simply shoot by Jack Lewis.

Summarizing my experiences, the movie is not a stupid remake, I really enjoyed it, it gives us a new RoboCop who is emotion-filled and more complex than the original, but the movie is bleeding from multiple wounds, it is unequivocal that Padilha was hold back and he could not accomplish all of his ideas and therefore; the remake is a clever movie, but the original RoboCop is a groundbreaking masterpiece.

PS

The RoboCop remake is at 48% at Rotten Tomatoes, which is not a good news, I hope next week it will reach min. 60%.

RB 1103

remake1
Robojeep
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote

I emailed sony pictures. Thats all i have to say.......

RB 475

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard