New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Terminator Genisys (2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Victorboris1
O-L4

O-L4

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote

artuditu :
To be honest, after seeing Die Hard 5 and Terminator Genisys (and Predators, Ninja Turtles, Conan the Barbarian, Indiana Jones 4) maybe we should feel more grateful about Robo remake... It is a masterpiece in comparison.

I totally agree with you. Of all the remakes we've been getting, Robomake is the only one I'd recommend. Genisys would be much better even with its mess of a convoluted plot if we got a decent couple of actors for the main characters, both Jai "The Wall" Courtney and Emilia "Fatass" Clarke are catastrophically atrocious. I really liked the soundtrack though.

CREDITS 4009

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote

artuditu :
To be honest, after seeing Die Hard 5 and Terminator Genisys (and Predators, Ninja Turtles, Conan the Barbarian, Indiana Jones 4) maybe we should feel more grateful about Robo remake... It is a masterpiece in comparison.

I think Predators is leagues better than the Robo remake... its good because it doesn't erase previous continuity. One thing I can say in this age of remakes and sequels and everything in between, I always like the stuff that builds off previous continuity instead of negating it. Even if they aren't very good movies they are usually enjoyable like the Marvel Studios movies, while Fox just rebooted Fantastic Four and failed. I'd always rather sit through a shitty sequel than a shitty origin story that we've already seen, especially when they fuck with the stuff that made it good the first time. So i would have to say the Robo reboot is no better than any of the other reboots to come out in the past decade, they are all mediocre

(and not to get offtopic but speaking of Predators did you know there is a sequel in the works? it is written by everyone's favorite Robo scribe Fred Dekker and cowritten and directed by Shane Black. Interestingly they both worked together before on Robocop 3 where Black played Donnelly. Now there's some interesting Robo trivia / news / history for you if I've ever hear it).

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
artuditu :

I think Predators is leagues better than the Robo remake... its good because it doesn't erase previous continuity. One thing I can say in this age of remakes and sequels and everything in between, I always like the stuff that builds off previous continuity instead of negating it.

Well, that sole argument is not enough for me, Die Hard 5 and Indiana Jones 4 don't mess up the previous continuity, and yet I would be much happier if I never saw them and they never were done.

Predators I didn't like it because it's a perfect example of lazy and generic plot (instead of the original movies where the screenwriters had to develop the scenario and the characters, here they just throw a bunch of people like a Saw movie and we'll see them die, that's it). Also Predator is anyway a franchise easy to make sequels and not reboots, right from the first sequel they discarded Arnold (just a little mention to him), the predator always dies and never has a larger impact in the context of the movie, we don't know much about them, you just need one or a few coming to hunt some new human preys. I don't see much continuity there, unless you bring in Arnold or Danny Glover characters it feels more like some isolated episodes with different characters (something you can't do with franchises like Die Hard or Indiana Jones or Robocop), the only consistency needed is for the predators to look and act more or less the same (something that didn't happen in AvP by the way, which you can say was the film that most added to the continuity of the Predator franchise, but in such a poor way that the next films just ignored it).

The only "positive" thing about Genisys now that I think about it is how I hated Terminator Salvation, but now I feel more inclined to be merciful with it.

Oh, add Prometheus to the list of bad sequels/reboots of the recent years, maybe not as atrocious as the ones listed before, but I think Robomake has some credentials to be a better movie (not much better, agreed).

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote

artuditu :

The only "positive" thing about Genisys now that I think about it is how I hated Terminator Salvation, but now I feel more inclined to be merciful with it.

As bad as Genisys was, it still was miles better than Salvation. I also think that Indy 4 and TMNT did much better than Genisys and the rest of the bunch and get too much of a bad rap they don't really deserve.

But it is true that none of them are "Mad Max: Fury Road" either tongue

CREDITS 2697

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
RoboPimp :
artuditu :

I think Predators is leagues better than the Robo remake... its good because it doesn't erase previous continuity. One thing I can say in this age of remakes and sequels and everything in between, I always like the stuff that builds off previous continuity instead of negating it.

Well, that sole argument is not enough for me, Die Hard 5 and Indiana Jones 4 don't mess up the previous continuity, and yet I would be much happier if I never saw them and they never were done.

Predators I didn't like it because it's a perfect example of lazy and generic plot (instead of the original movies where the screenwriters had to develop the scenario and the characters, here they just throw a bunch of people like a Saw movie and we'll see them die, that's it). Also Predator is anyway a franchise easy to make sequels and not reboots, right from the first sequel they discarded Arnold (just a little mention to him), the predator always dies and never has a larger impact in the context of the movie, we don't know much about them, you just need one or a few coming to hunt some new human preys. I don't see much continuity there, unless you bring in Arnold or Danny Glover characters it feels more like some isolated episodes with different characters (something you can't do with franchises like Die Hard or Indiana Jones or Robocop), the only consistency needed is for the predators to look and act more or less the same (something that didn't happen in AvP by the way, which you can say was the film that most added to the continuity of the Predator franchise, but in such a poor way that the next films just ignored it).

Oh, add Prometheus to the list of bad sequels/reboots of the recent years, maybe not as atrocious as the ones listed before, but I think Robomake has some credentials to be a better movie (not much better, agreed).

I'm with all of this pretty much. Like Pimp I too lean more to wanting sequels rather than straight remakes but that alone isn't enough, still need a story that's a worth a damn and still need to bring some new bits to the table. Though I'm not sure I'd stop being so hard on Salvation myself.. tongue I agree about R2014 - Droll though it is itself, it at least something of something, not sure I can say the same with most of these other.. things.

Still haven't seen Genisys - Just ain't ever been real worked up about it, that all the reviews I've heard from folks and trusted spots are generally mixed at best. Ultimately it seems to be mostly as I thought, a nostalgia fix in a shiny new wrapper and little more than that. I'll catch it later.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:59 am Reply with quote

Genisys was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. All you need to know is it shits over the lore established in the first two films, makes Rise Of The Machines and Salvation look good, and features scenes that were probably written by a 12 year old who thought they'd look cool on screen but serve no purpose.

One scene involves our heroes chasing a bad guy in a chopper as he escapes in another one. As you see in the trailer Arnie jumps out and dive bombs the escaping chopper to make sure it doesn't arrive at the location before them. Well, that bad guy still arrives first, rendering that action completely pointless as it's just there to look cool.

I'd take the RoboCop reboot over this in a heartbeat...

CREDITS 1689

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Josh :
One scene involves our heroes chasing a bad guy in a chopper as he escapes in another one. As you see in the trailer Arnie jumps out and dive bombs the escaping chopper to make sure it doesn't arrive at the location before them. Well, that bad guy still arrives first, rendering that action completely pointless as it's just there to look cool.

That is one good example of many. The entire movie is like that, they shoot or temporarily freeze in some way the bad guy, they go running and the bad guy appears again, everywhere, so they shoot him or throw him away, they run and he appears again and again. Seriously, how lazy a screenplay can get? No more than this for sure.

Compare that to T2 where every encounter with the T-1000 is carefully built up, every action scene is unique and not generic, and that is why everybody remember it. Damn even T3 had a few of those, not as good but anyway, you can see the point.

By the way CGI looks quite shitty in this movie, starting with the war in the future at the beginning, if I could define the problem with CGI in general is how weightless the robots feel, it's not just the texture, which can look good, but as soon as they move or walk you don't feel the gravity is the same. The chopper chase scene is another example of subpar CGI.

Josh :
makes Rise Of The Machines and Salvation look good

I just felt exactly like that in the Die Hard franchise, I was very angry at the lack of quality of Die Hard 4 compared to its predecessors, but when I saw Die Hard 5, oh man... It was as if the franchise was relegated to another league, kind of direct-to-dvd action movie, it was painful to watch Bruce Willis in there. Die Hard 4 looks now OK to me. Don't say something can't get worse... You never know.

CREDITS 947

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
NOF
O-L1

O-L1

Comment: Who told you how?

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/02/terminator-saga-terminated-by-genysis-box-office-failure

CREDITS 0

comic2-robocop game-xbox arcade2-robocop2 Doom robocop3-fanboy
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote

I agree with most of the comments here, Genisys, although an interesting revision of the Terminator history (Probably for the purpose of making room for more additional sequels), it was not a good addition to the long history of Terminator films. That being said, few of the sequels are. I liked T2, but to be fair, it also took a lot of liberties with the original story (John Conner reprogramming the T800 before sending him back, the original movie not working to change the future). I guess the way it was done seemed more plausible, and like RoboPimp and Artu mentioned, it didn't change the prior films, but added to them. Terminator 3 and Genisys were also very lighthearted compared to the first two and maybe that made them less serious.
Also, I thought it was cool to read about some of the groups' thoughts on recent remakes.
I would say that the best remake I have seen in a while was The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Robocop remake was good too, but like Genisys, it didn't match the mood of the other films.

CREDITS 35

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote

Having watched it a second time I'd say the main problem with the flick beyond its productions rushed nature,Lays solely at the feet of the directors lack of decisiveness in what kind of tone he was looking for "its all over the place" even shifting gears into straight comedy at the Golden Gate Bridge with the cops bit!..Terrible!..Just rips you outta the moment right when you give the movie a chance!..Further blame lays at the feet of the "Heroic" leads Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke,They suck!..Not only are they woefully miscast their constant facial mugging made it hard to get into anything the were saying.Terrible!.And this was the same production that kept using T3 as what not to do?.Oh makes me pine for what could've been.

CREDITS 1111

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote

vegasrobo :
Having watched it a second time I'd say the main problem with the flick beyond its productions rushed nature,Lays solely at the feet of the directors lack of decisiveness in what kind of tone he was looking for "its all over the place" even shifting gears into straight comedy at the Golden Gate Bridge with the cops bit!..Terrible!..

I wouldn't say the confusing tone is the main problem (for me that honor goes to the story hands down) but it is an interesting thing to analyse. If you think about it, even the first 2 terminator films had some bits of comedy here and there, but I think it was always contained in specific moments of the narrative, and never mixed with the action, the action was always tense and the stakes high. Now because of Marvel influence they try to put the comedy everywhere, and it just doesn't fit in a Terminator film. T3 was a first step, but I think even then they managed to have more comedy (self-parody really) in a smarter way, not everywhere.

I agree Courtney and Clarke were atrocious. Clarke is just too short to be an action character, she looks out of place carrying a shotgun bigger than her.

CREDITS 947

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Heres the thing,I don't hate this movie,Unlike Robo 2014 which I loathe,I don't think the intended Genisys to become what it did.I really wish it was good.Arnold certainly did his part,But its like everyone else involved gave a shit..

CREDITS 1111

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote

vegasrobo :
Heres the thing,I don't hate this movie,Unlike Robo 2014 which I loathe,I don't think the intended Genisys to become what it did.I really wish it was good.Arnold certainly did his part,But its like everyone else involved gave a shit..

I have to strongly disagree Smile

At least Robomake tried to be a movie on its own terms, with its own personality, even if it overall failed it tried and was able to bring Robo franchise to new lands.

Genisys was just a poor (and very lazy) pretext to milk everything that was left in the cow (Terminator franchise). I would rather watch Robocop 3 a hundred times, than Genisys one single time more (and if you go back to the first pages of this thread I was very supportive of this movie when its first details were revealed).

CREDITS 947

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
Also, I thought it was cool to read about some of the groups' thoughts on recent remakes.

Definitely Wink

RoboJOF :
I would say that the best remake I have seen in a while was The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

oh dear

Anyway, back on to Genisys. Haven't seen it. The initial trailers looked really good and I thought it was going to redeem the franchise from Salvation. But then later trailers popped up portraying remade characters and scenes from T1 and T2 and I couldn't care less as it gave the impression of unoriginality and rehashing.

I like R2014 for what it is. It will never be R1 and that will never be equalled. But the settings and themes are current and doesn't rely/lend itsself heavily on comic book style action that is all the trend these days. I'll keep watching this movie. I love the Turtles and Terminator franchises but their recent attempts unfortunately don't make any connection to me,

CREDITS 746

Ed-260
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard