New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop Comic series by Boom Studios
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote

I'll be there picking this up the day it is released. For many reasons, A) it's a product bearing the RoboCop name and I want to support this franchise even if it sucks, B) it doesn't look bad to me C) we've only seen a couple of pages of it, let's give it a shot D) it can't possibly be worse than other Robo-related material we've gotten recently (Terminator/RoboCop Kill Human, I'm looking squarely at you), and E), I was overall impressed with Last Stand, I feel Boom is doing a better job with Robo comics than any other publisher since Dark Horse 20 years ago, let's buy this comic and show them people want more Robo.

RB 3527

Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:20 pm Reply with quote

vegasrobo :
I don't see whats shitty about this art..
It's a mess! Needs to get rid of about 70% of the lines and reduce the use of block-black, let the colourist do the job he's supposed to be paid to do.

RB 2649

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote

Yarbles :
Terminator/RoboCop Kill Human, I'm looking squarely at you

I actually enjoyed RvT: Kill Human more than any other Robocop comic in the past decade. Sure, the art left a lot to be desired, but the story was refreshing. It was zany and at times inane, but it certainly kept my interest. My favorite aspect of the story was how Robocop wakes up after years of being decommissioned. To me that's something that has a lot of potential. I can envision a world where Robocop is resurrected every decade or so when there is a problem only he can solve, and then it's back to cyrosleep so he doesn't go insane from being eternal. The cursing Murphy was a big point of debate, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Over the course of the first movie we saw him go from emotionless robot to smirking Murphy in a Robo body. Given enough time I imagine he would recover all of his personality as he gets more and more used to his Robolife. That is really why I don't like comics that cling so closely to his origin. Any discovering of his humanity within these issues is old news. We know he's Murphy, so show us Murphy. That's what made Kill Human so unique to me, a future vision of Robocop where Murphy's personality is at the forefront. The plot was also unpredictable, taking some very interesting twists along the way. This was a bolder, riskier take on the materiel that wasn't always successful, but that take is something I'd revisit without hesitation. Sure, this new series promises to be more authentic to the tone of the first movie, but whether they're using that tone to establish a unique take on Robocop or they're just gonna piggyback that tone and ride it out until the inevitable cancellation of the series remains to be seen. In any case, I'd much rather see a fresh new take on Robocop like Kill Human than more of the stale rehashing that's been slopped in our face since Dark Horse got rid of the license.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote

I agree with RoboPimp that continuously trying to set stories straight after the first movie isn't necessarily a good thing. That's what I still love about the Padhila film. It goes for its own identity rather than try and fail to ape what went before.

There's a danger things can get bogged down in continuity too. Personally, I'd love to see Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner write a 8-issue strip which is NOT Corporate Wars or whatever, but just a new adventure.

That said, I like this art and I'm looking forward to this series. Not groundbreaking but solid, and Robo looks good. I'd love to see a B&W comic, that could still happen.

But NO MORE reset continuity after this!

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
AlexMurphy
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote

I think the art looks fine other than the overuse of "line shading".

RB 853

a-team Rambo-Knife game-xbox
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
Personally, I'd love to see Ed Neumeier and Michael Miner write a 8-issue strip which is NOT Corporate Wars or whatever, but just a new adventure.

Well, as they used the scripts to Robo 2 and 3 as comic book titles, Iīd love to see the original "RoboCop 2" script written by the original writers. I think itīd be more interesting than the sequels, as they look quite similar to the films. As for Corporate Wars, we knew less than itīs plot, so could be nice to judge if itīd be a great sequel to the first film or not.

As for me, Iīd have to wait to the paperback to read it, as itīd be difficult to get it month after month here.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote

Josh :
I'd like to see a comic set years after Robo was brought online. One piece of artwork that I'll always remember is Mindchamber's one where Robo contemplates suicide. It sets one hell of a tone, can you imagine seeing everyone you've cared for die while you keep on living? Have it so Robo makes careless decisions when it comes to tackling enemies in the hope just maybe this time OCP won't be able to repair him, but his sense of duty still makes him uphold the law.

Nice idea. I myself wouldn't mind seeing at least a take along those lines somewhere. Frankly I always felt a Corporate Wars story could have delved into that kind of thing, as well as the other aspects Pimp pointed out as well.

As I said earlier, I think Pimp had a point about sticking too close to the origin stuff. That is something that can backfire, and I agree I think it might be better in some ways to have stories taking place later in time - It doesn't all have to change, many elements and characters can be there. But there can be new stuff as well. There's a balance of different and constant, just gotta work it and not go too far one way or the other.

Now, for Archive's points.. well, I think after seeing so much stuff end up going poorly, despite best hopes and intentions, it's hard not to be cynical I think. Granted I try to have a mindset of 'it could always be worse', as Yarbs pointed out, but much more than that and I feel it's asking too much - Going into it with 'this will be amazing' just doesn't do anything for me at least. Does that mean we should go into 'this is gonna suck/etc' mentality and just look for the bad? Well, no, I agree that that's fucked up. But while we shouldn't focus on the bad too much we also can't ignore what we perceive to be faults. Perhaps some are being overly and prematurely harsh, and not giving the thing a fair shake, but I think many of us are simply judging what we see as it comes, thats all.

Anyway, as I said, I think the art is decent, fair. It's not spectacular, but it's not horrible or 'shitty' as some purport, at least to me. That said -

vegasrobo :
I don't see whats shitty about this art..I looks good to me..I mean its Boom studios..I think whats happened with comics is big studios have not only set the bar for some really f'n incredible art that we forget what comics really used to look like in general..As long as the story is tight and serves the narrative of the franchise that's what should really be whats getting Judged here..

This mostly sums it all up for me - I'm thinking about story more than anything. And as I and many have said, first impressions there are not too promising. Again, I'm just going by what I see here. However, I am also keeping in mind it's not much at this point and to hold a serious judgment 'til we have more. It is something new and I do still have hopes it will be something interesting. Once again, we'll see.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
Are Robo fans unusually bitter and cynical?

Sometimes I actually do believe that nothing will ever be good enough for us. Robodemise ranted about this in another topic and I'm starting to think he might be right. Everything is pulled apart, dissected and judged as inferior and crap.

Some of this Robo-bitterness can be found on this forum but most of all the archive facebook page is absolutely shock full of people that hate everything new. Unless it is the original movie, it all sucks!

The artwork in this new comic is not bad at all. It may not be to everyones taste, but it is definitely not shitty. It is a new story that takes place after RoboCop1. It features Lewis, the old man and many other classic characters and it's violent and full of blood.

What is the problem?

This.

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote

If someone will go to Comic Con, youīd get the first issue with an alternative cover by Darick Robertson and Diego Rodriguez:

Donīt know why, but looks like Roboīs pose was based on a figure.

RB 11786

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote

yeah, the rounded chestplate and rounded upper leg parts where they meet the torso are very reminiscent of the first McFarlane Movie Maniacs figure.

http://www.figurerealm.com/Galleries/moviemaniacs/Robocop1-S7.jpg

RB 3527

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Yarbles :
yeah, the rounded chestplate and rounded upper leg parts where they meet the torso are very reminiscent of the first McFarlane Movie Maniacs figure.

Yep, also the position of the left arm remind me of the closed hand by the McFarlane one. That made me think on the reference RYP used on "Frank Millerīs RoboCop", where on a pannel it looks like he used a promo picture from The Series.

RB 11786

vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure a figure was used for reference..Makes sense..Mcfarlane on the other hand may not have been the best choice.

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
ROBOCONE
R-L5

R-L5

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote

heres a review http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3301473/5-skull-review-robocop-1/

RB 215

Yarbles
Sgt-L3

Sgt-L3

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:12 am Reply with quote

I liked the first issue, the tone feels right, and it does feel like the same world from the original film. Along with well known characters like Robo, Lewis, Reed, and The Old Man there are appearances from other small side characters from the first film that I appreciated seeing. Also, it's nice seeing the attention to detail that's given, not just in the line work itself but to the settings and location. The police headquarters look like they do in the first film, down to a scene in the locker room that you can tell was modeled from the set in the film. It's just nice to know the people making this comic took the time to get little details like that down.

Oh, and as the review above mentioned, the face punch was pretty awesome and unexpected. Smile

Robo fans, go pick this up. It's a solid comic and shows a lot of promise for the series.

RB 3527

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard