New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop Comic series by Boom Studios
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote

"If you’ve ever wondered what happens to RoboCop and his partner, Anne Lewis, after the first film, wonder no more. Joshua Williamson (GHOSTED) crafts a story of crime and corruption that fans of Gotham Central, Stray Bullets, and Transmetropolitan will enjoy. Carlos Magno (PLANET OF THE APES, DEATHMATCH) brings RoboCop and Old Detroit to life in detail and intensity never seen before.

A deadly and charismatic criminal, Killian, is released from jail. He went into the slammer before RoboCop hit the streets. Now he wants to take out the biggest cop in the city. When OCP wants to take guns off the street, Killian sees it as his opportunity to take on the former Alex Murphy!"

First issue out in stores Wednesday, July 2. Check out some preview pages below.

Related interviews:

Williamson Promises "Hard R" Take on "RoboCop" in New Ongoing Series
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52078

The Return of “RoboCop” with Writer Joshua Williamson
http://multiversitycomics.com/interviews/multiversity-turns-5-with-the-return-of-robocop-writer-joshua-williamson-interview/

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Yep, put the preview on the "Hard R comic" topic here. Not sure about the artwork, looks... "vintage".

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote

I like the art.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote

The art reminds me of old Judge Dredd / 2000 AD comics, for better or worse. Definitely not 'detail and intensity never seen before', I'd have to give that one to Ryp in the Avatar series.

The story doesn't intrigue me much. I've been musing on what makes a good Robocop comic recently, and realized stories that cling to closely to the original canon are not the way to go. I'm tired of comics that take place shortly after the original movie, because that's pretty much all the Robocop comics. I want issues that take place much farther into Murhpy's second life, where his personality and humanity have been developed and his villains are just a smidgeon more futuristic. We've seen the 'what happens next?' story, now let's see what happens after that.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
The art reminds me of old Judge Dredd / 2000 AD comics, for better or worse. Definitely not 'detail and intensity never seen before', I'd have to give that one to Ryp in the Avatar series.

I found interesting about some artists gets better in black & white. And I think this is one of the cases, seeing all the lines to give depth, textures and shadows to the drawings. Same happens with "Last Stand"´s artist; I think his style is more "underground" than mainstream, and I had the chance to see some of the black and white pages of the comics. They get better without colours.

About the story, we´ll know. For the moment I´m more interesting on the Robo Vs Terminator reissue. Love Simonson´s style.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote

The art is ok. Nothing too fantastic or fancy, but it does the job. Could be worse, perhaps. I think Chanood has a point about how just B&W might have a little more 'pop' to some artist styles, going color makes those styles lose a little something. But anyway, this here is ok to me. But admittedly just ok.. Neutral

RoboPimp :

The story doesn't intrigue me much. I've been musing on what makes a good Robocop comic recently, and realized stories that cling to closely to the original canon are not the way to go. I'm tired of comics that take place shortly after the original movie, because that's pretty much all the Robocop comics. I want issues that take place much farther into Murhpy's second life, where his personality and humanity have been developed and his villains are just a smidgeon more futuristic. We've seen the 'what happens next?' story, now let's see what happens after that.

Again, I agree, the art isn't anything spectacular. But it's fine. Unless the art is REALLY bad or has some other issue about it, it's not that much an issue for me generally. As I've said I find Ryp's art overbearing and too much at times, sometimes it's great, but that's another thing.

I think my bigger concern here is the story. It too definitely screams only 'ok' and that really doesn't make it to me, I too want something intriguing or interesting, not feeling that here. I personally find the subplot about 'taking guns off the street' something a bit too topical at present, it seems kind of shameless and almost lazy. Plus this dude fresh out of the joint is gonna take on Robo? (And he doesn't know who/what Robo is? Really?) Sorry, but I've always been used to my Robo villains having a little something to them, not seeing that too much here. But I need to keep in mind 'here' is only the damn preview. Maybe there is something there. Really.

Anyway, I think Pimp makes a good point about having RoboCop stories continuing right off the first film - Aside from Marvel for the most part, no other comic series has ever been able to portray Murphy and Lewis and their partnership well, I too think it might be better for a different setting or something. That is one thing I think I prefer about the DH stuff - It all takes place after R3, with Lewis dead. Yeah that sucks and sure they kinda use Lazerus to fill that void somewhat (and it gets annoying) but otherwise it forces RoboCop into some new situations and interactions - having Murphy and Lewis all the time might get a bit.. well, dull I guess.. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.. Or maybe I'm just too used to these other things fucking it up all the time. Bah. Again, I think Pimp makes a good point about maybe going for the after-after. Something like that.

All-told, this seems decent, but not great. Not a good first impression. However, there might be something here perhaps, hopefully there is anyway. I guess we'll see in a few days.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote

With all the shitty lines, it kinda looks like Lewis has got gorilla hands. Also, I just changes one of the pages to greyscale... artwork still looks shitty! Not liking!!

RB 2548

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote

I don't see whats shitty about this art..I looks good to me..I mean its Boom studios..I think whats happened with comics is big studios have not only set the bar for some really f'n incredible art that we forget what comics really used to look like in general..As long as the story is tight and serves the narrative of the franchise that's what should really be whats getting Judged here..

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Archive

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Are Robo fans unusually bitter and cynical?

Sometimes I actually do believe that nothing will ever be good enough for us. Robodemise ranted about this in another topic and I'm starting to think he might be right. Everything is pulled apart, dissected and judged as inferior and crap.

Some of this Robo-bitterness can be found on this forum but most of all the archive facebook page is absolutely shock full of people that hate everything new. Unless it is the original movie, it all sucks!

The artwork in this new comic is not bad at all. It may not be to everyones taste, but it is definitely not shitty. It is a new story that takes place after RoboCop1. It features Lewis, the old man and many other classic characters and it's violent and full of blood.

What is the problem?

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote

I actually don't think the art is bad at all. For once the inside of a book looks better than the cover.

From the little I've read, I feel that Murphy hasn't had much luck with comics after Dark Horse (aside from some really nice covers) and the story for this doesn't sound particularly interesting. Hope they manage to pull off something good.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
What is the problem?

It is a new story that takes place after RoboCop1. It features Lewis, the old man and many other classic characters and it's violent and full of blood.

That right there is the problem: there's nothing new about it. I personally don't have a problem with the art, I meant the 2000 AD comparison to be a compliment, but the story just doesn't excite me in any way. Where's the twist? Where's the originality? Sure, it uses the classic characters, but will there be new applications of them or will they be serving the same roles the've been for over two decades? Will this series take Robocop down new roads or just be another generic followup to the original film. The villain doesn't seem particularly interesting. There's sure to be plenty of cool action as the team seems pretty competent, but I fear this story arc will be highly predictable. Now, if they keep this series as an ongoing one it would be cool to see where they go with it, because there's a lot of room to explore, I just don't see this first arc being anything other than another 'ignore all previous continuity besides Robocop 1 and start over' reboot if you will.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Archive

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
That right there is the problem: there's nothing new about it.

Yeah, but when there is a completely new story that has little or no relation to RoboCop1 that is also crap. Because then it is too different.

I'm not talking about you specifically RoboPimp, but at times it seems it is crap no matter what. The reason just changes depending on what we get.
The mindset is to find what is wrong with the product rather than appreciating what is good with it.

RB 347913

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Archive :
Are Robo fans unusually bitter and cynical?

Fans usually react that way Laughing

When the remake came, an Spanish magazine did a Robo special issue, and had an interview with Juanjo Ryp. Don´t know if he was kidding or not, but he told that some people sent him hate messages and some nasty words just because they were upset because Murphy´s hands didn´t look like the ones in the movies.

I can not judge that title because I didn´t read it yet, but I still think the artwork looks "vintage". It has a "classic" style of drawing and the colours got "old" as well. I think it´s something that Dynamite tried before: they used some dry colors to do the comics. I guess it was done on pourpose, but I´m not a big fan for a recent release.

As for the script, I read some of the words by the writer saying that the Robofans should stay calm, as he tried to stay faithful. But how many times we heard that? tongue For the preview, it looks like they´ll handle well the violence, but I hope they won´t forget the satire.

RB 10830

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote

I'm liking the look of this but I can see people's points. It's one of those things you can't win with; if you set it between the first to movies people celebrate or complain, but it's the same if you set it within any other time period.

I'd like to see a comic set years after Robo was brought online. One piece of artwork that I'll always remember is Mindchamber's one where Robo contemplates suicide. It sets one hell of a tone, can you imagine seeing everyone you've cared for die while you keep on living? Have it so Robo makes careless decisions when it comes to tackling enemies in the hope just maybe this time OCP won't be able to repair him, but his sense of duty still makes him uphold the law.

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Front Page - Featured Topics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard