New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

What went wrong with RoboCop 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :

Why, Mr. Fan - That is wonderful. Thank you so much!

Smile

Well played, good sir, well played Laughing

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Saasouza
L-L1

L-L1

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Bah. Again, much as I don't care for R2014, I might not dismiss a continuation from it totally out of hand. Would hardly be my ideal way to proceed though. As was said before, seeing him return to something of a TV format might be nice in this day and age, what with Netflix and online networks that have no restrictions on content and a lower number of episodes for each season that they do.

A VERY good idea provided they went for one single plot and not the anthology format of the old series. A Netflix series of 10 episodes, or even a continuous series with several seasons. They could cover every aspect of it in detail. Murphy's transformation, adjustments, his daily police work.. or even spend one or two episodes dealing with a pre-robocop Murphy. But the idea is too good that it sounds almost like an utopia. But who knows ?

RB 943

ED-209-2013 remake-gun baby-food
Saasouza
L-L1

L-L1

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote

Archive :

Oh wow!

Just so that there is no misunderstanding or thoughts of mod abuse.
All forum users can change other forum users or your own "custom title" in the shop.

http://www.robocoparchive.com/board/shop_effects.php?action=specialshop

Thanks for the heads-up. I see how funny it can be when used properly, but it also becomes inconvenient when misused. Might be a good idea to have some terms of use, just saying.

RB 943

Saasouza
L-L1

L-L1

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote

coward :
I don't actually hate the original Robocop movie I have just never seen or nor do I have any desire to because I hate old movies and old people like Peter Weller so I know it would be a waste of time, especially when the remake is such a perfect film..

You're just a coward dude. People come here and say whatever they want to say first and foremost because they're not pussies. You hide in anonymity without even knowing me in person. You're pathetic.

(if you're going to respond, please use the custom title)

RB 943

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
Speaking of which, where are these Taurus'? I know there were promo shots of 'em but they're like, nowhere in the film.

Interesting point. I had not noticed that before.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Stan The Man :
Speaking of which, where are these Taurus'? I know there were promo shots of 'em but they're like, nowhere in the film.

Interesting point. I had not noticed that before.

Indeed. To me it's just another, arguably more minor, showing that those behind this cared little about some of the details that made the original so awesome. The use of the Taurus and 6000 SUX were conscious efforts to show a world that was only somewhat 'futuristic' - It was still fairly grounded; No flying cars and real radical design changes and such. The remake, rather than even go that way, instead mainly features today's regular day-to-day cars, which would be old pieces of shit by the time of the film's setting - True to Detroit, perhaps - But they also have those hokey wheels (which are just covers), just silly looking. If they were meant to make present-to-slightly-old cars of today look 'futuristic', they failed there.

This before we get into the specific deal with the Taurus' (or lack thereof) and how lack of them adds to the wholly muted role the police department has in the film, which results in a far stronger disconnect between Robo and the police. Again, the original was more even and realistic in showing Robo, despite being a 'product', still having to be somewhat symbiotic with the rest of the police, hence his use of a regular patrol car and so on. (Am I paraphrasing artu again? Probably am.) Granted there was a bit of a disconnect that was noted in the original, which was also a good detail and something that could have been possibly more emphasized in the remake to good effect, yet instead that aspect was totally ignored.

As for the bike, again, it only adds to that disconnect and in itself serves little purpose in the narrative from an action standpoint - There's no real chase scenes or particularly special maneuvers used with it. Ultimately it again wasn't horrible so much as almost completely pointless - He could have just as easily stuck with a regular car like the original, as I indeed argued three-odd years ago.

It's little things like this that can help make a film just that little bit better to where it is better thought of overall. A movie with big flaws can be saved somewhat if the little details are at least done well. Unfortunately the remake failed in a lot of smaller respects as well to only hurt the overall product that much more.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote

I was quite disappointed with the bike mysrlf. I was excited about the new Taurus when i saw the set pictures. It was such a let down. Then again the whole movie was a let down...

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
Ex-Machino
R-L2

R-L2

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote

RoboWags :
I was quite disappointed with the bike mysrlf. I was excited about the new Taurus when i saw the set pictures. It was such a let down. Then again the whole movie was a let down...

"Then again the whole movie was a let down" lol, couldn't have said it better myself! Very Happy

RB 87

game-xbox
AceAlive1
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

Comment: I am VERY disappointed!

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote

alot went wrong. it wasnt bleak enough. detroit was too clean, it had no delta city sub plot. the original made me think "man this is gloomy, look at the city, and wow look what happened to murphy"

the remake was too polished.

not a bad film by any stretch but a few things could have been changed.

RB 743

RoboLewis
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:21 pm Reply with quote

When I saw it for the first time, I thought it was okay but it didn’t entertain me like the original. I was shocked and grossed out when he was shown what was left of himself.😱

RB 1156

JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote

So I can't remember if I talked about my thoughts on R2014 on here but see this bumped and I havent posted so why not?

1) Too much world building. This is something you seem to see thrown at Sony movies a lot and there feels like there is too much of it in R2014. Its like the heart bit at the first movie only... they keep doing it. It feels like this is Robocop Begins and they are building up to the Dark Knight. Only Robocop doesn't have a Joker...

2) Too many characters. While there were a few characters in the original Robocop they never really feel like they are there more than Robocop. Of the top of my head you have Murphy's wife, Weapons guy who dont like Robocop, mob boss, Sam Jackson, Michael Keaton, Girl Reed, Man Lewis, Anti Robotics in Police guy towards the end of the movie... oh and Robocop. Theres too many characters and that leads to the next issue I had.

3) Lack of a clear cut villian. I know. You cant have a Boddicker in every Robocop movie but damn, there feels like a lack of a clear baddy. Everything is sneaky, remember Mob Boss was paid off by Girl Reed for some reason which lead to Robocop being remotely shut down by Michael Keaton. which would have worked if it wasn't a loud action movie and played off as a more noire sorta thing? I don't know... police thriller.

4) Robocop is fucking Overpowered. Like damn remember all of the Robocop Vs Terminator talks people would have and everyone would have a point. Yeah, this Robocop would fuck up the Terminator, Maybe the T-X too. If anyone has played the new Doom games, Robocop is this. I get that they wanted to update Robocop but hes like a mini Hulk from what I remember. He doesn't actually need a bike, car, helicopter. Anything.

Thats it really. I could mention that there isn't a woman that is in any sort of power, like Anne Lewis but I guess they wanted to do more with Murphy's family and I get that.

Overall I did enjoy it. It's actually a good, perfectly watchable movie, which goes against the stream of Sony Movies. But I think they could have dropped the rivalry with Maddox and it wouldn't have felt as rushed I guess. Maybe even drop the Sam Jackson bits. I know that's sacrilege because Sam Jackson is fucking awesome.

RB 710

cake
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote

JohnBoyAdvance :
It feels like this is Robocop Begins and they are building up to the Dark Knight.

That's a great point and a great comparison because RoboCop 2014 and the Dark Knight are both boring movies that misunderstand and suck all the fun out of the characters they are adapting, both are inferior versions of what we previously saw from the characters on the big screen, and both movies are self-serious and think they are saying a lot more than they really are. I could go on at great length about the Dark Knight, but since nobody wants to hear that I'll just say this: The first and second halves of RoboCop 2014 really feel like two different movies. I guess the training segments are meant to serve as a transition, but it feels sloppy to me. The first half is slow and builds up tension, and the reveal or Robo is genuinely great as a result. But then in the second half all of that work is undone as it starts going faster and faster, losing whatever point it had, before it gives a final sprint over the finish line and collapses into a huffing mess gasping for air.

Also, in regards to your second and third points, I think Keaton's character is representative of some of the bigger issues of the movie. I often see people say he is one of the best things about the movie, and while his performance is a positive, his character is heavily flawed in terms of writing and the story. He is just not a strong enough character to be the main antagonist he eventually becomes in the end, his motivation and background are lacking and I lost interest in the character once he stopped being morally ambiguous and became just a bad guy. That stuff worked for the Old Man in RoboCop because he was a relatively small character, Dick Jones was the main force of evil in OCP and obviously Boddicker and his gang were the main enemies through the film. But RoboCop 2014 doesn't have any of that, the whole plot about his partner or other cops betraying him was wrapped up too quickly and never had much narrative heft behind it to begin with.

Overall I think you hit on a lot of the deeper problems of the movie. It is not a total failure, not a truly terrible movie, and as such the problems aren't so glaringly obvious. There are a lot of strong performances, Padhila's direction is inconsistent but has some moments of greatness, and the visual effects are solid if uninspired. It's a fine bit of mindless entertainment but looking a bit deeper reveals the larger problems are in the writing and editing.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:43 am Reply with quote

Word big time to everything you said Pimp, and by extension pretty much all of what you said also JBA.

I especially concur about the TDK comparison, and how absolutely apt it is - It and R2014 are the same in that they were both bloated and ultimately droll cinematic missteps for their respective source material.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard