New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Robocop in Dark Horse Comics (& other rarities)

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote

Hello friends, today I fortuitous in discovering Dark Horse Comics #1 & 2 for 50 cents each. As many of you know, these both feature Robocop stories as well as Robocop covers, including a beautiful painted rendition on the back cover of the first issue. I know this story arc is a 3 parter, and if memory serves there is at least one more Robocop story that appeared in a later three issues. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any other Robocop stories that appeared in Dark Horse Comics. I am getting very, very close to having every single Robocop comic book appearance, so I want to be thorough.

Also this seems like a good place to discuss any other rare Robocop appearances. For example, San Diego Comic-Con Comics #1. I have only heard of this issue, never seen it, and am confused as to wether is contains an all new Robo story or just a sampler of one of Dark Horse's other Robocop comics, but I don't seem to remember ever running into a story involving 'Robocop and the Amazing Turbocar' before. Any information on these or any other rare and hard to find Robo apperances would be greatly appreciated.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote

According to WIKI, two mini-stories were published in Dark Horse Presents.

Dark Horse Comics #1–3 provided the events that led up to the story presented in Prime Suspect
Dark Horse Comics #6–9 provided the events that led up to the story presented in Mortal Coils

Not DH info but I found this on eBay yesterday

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131305675627&alt=web

Appears to be Robo on the front of a Punisher comic?!

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote

That's a very interesting find Jim. I did some more research and that is the UK Punisher series, and Robocop also appears in a little bubble on the front cover of issue one. It says "Robocop back up story" but upon further research it appears to just be the movie adaptation. I'm thinking that the adaptation has been spread out over multiple issues in traditional British anthology style, but who knows, maybe issue 3 does contain a brand new Robocop story? Also it looks to be magazine size which would be another big factor in purchasing it. My Robocop 2 b/w magazine edition got ruined by not being able to fit into the box with the rest of the Robocop comics, but I was fortunately able to find the regular sized color edition to replace it. Again, I'm asking for any and all information on this Punisher comic, especially regarding the size and the content of the Robocop story.

RB 1658

RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Dark Horse Comics #1–3 provided the events that led up to the story presented in Prime Suspect

This was reprinted in the UK "RoboCop: Prime Suspect" TPB by Box-Tree as "Prologue", so atleast they were kind enough to put it there. The cover art of the TPB itself however was originally from an issue of "RoboCop: Roulette".

There are also a couple of "RoboCop: The Series" Annuals, and while I have not seen them in person, it's possible that they do contain RoboCop comics, as those are pretty much mandatory in UK annuals.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote

The Series Annual is very intriguing. I couldn't find much information about them/it, but I did find some pictures. So far I can only find one, sometimes labelled as 1994 and sometimes as 1996, but both appear to have the same cover, so I don't know if there are multiple or just one that is being mislabeled. Also couldn't find anything about the contents, except for one picture of the inside which is just a couple pages of photos from the show. However, the cover is a comic book style drawing so there may very well be comics inside. If no one has any more insight I am probably going to contact a seller soon to see if I can get some more info.

RB 1658

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote

The annual is a hardcover A4 format book with about 45 pages.
It contains various activities for kids such as wordpuzzles, short text stories,pictures etc.
And yes, it also contains some comics, three short original ones based on the series.

Then we also have these releases. I don't have them so no idea on the whole
content and if they contain any comics.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote

Hmmm, thanks for the info Archive, this is certainly something I will have to consider. On the one hand, it has non-comic content and it is too big to fit in a standard comic book box alongside the rest of the Robo comics...on the other hand, it contains new comic stories about Robocop...what do you guys think, does this belong in a complete Robocop comics collection or not?

RB 1658

RoboFan_93

OCP1 - L1

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Depends on how complete you want it to be Smile For example, in the case of Robo, I wouldn't bother with a complete comic collection, I'd rather only get the comics I actually like.

Thanks for the info on the annual, Archive. I might track down the annual, I've seen it pop up on eBay a few times for cheap.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
POCOBOR
L-L2

L-L2

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Amazon has the one with "The Amazing TurboCar"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031BMYB8?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

RB 1391

robocop-figure3 robocop-head RoboBadge arcade2-robocop2 ford-taurus
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
For example, in the case of Robo, I wouldn't bother with a complete comic collection, I'd rather only get the comics I actually like.

Robocop comics are the one thing I am anything close to a completionist for. I have a whole box dedicated specifically to Robocop comics, and seeing as I have at least 90% of them I kind of want to finish it up. I already have both Marvel adaptions and ongoing series (except for 3 issues that got water damaged, soon to be replaced). From Dark Horse I have Prime Directives, Mortal Coils, Robocop vs Terminator (gallery edition + regular issues) and the first two issues of Dark Horse comics plus the first issue of Roulette. I have every Avatar issue including both covers for the regular series, 2 additional variants of the first including the Robosteel edition, and all of the numerous variants for both one shots. From Dynamite I have Revolution and Robocop Terminator: Kill Human in tpb form plus all 4 issues of Road Trip. I don't have the most recent ongoing series from BOOM!, but I do have every issue of Last Stand.

Robocop is my favorite comic book character, and while not every series he's appeared in was great I have enjoyed them all to some degree. Plus, if I don't have the comics, how will I know I like them?

RB 1658

RoboFan_93

OCP1 - L1

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :

Plus, if I don't have the comics, how will I know I like them?

From what I've seen online from the Avatar books and most of Dynamite's - they definetely aren't exactly my cup of tea.

I'm trying to complete atleast the Marvel and Darkhorse Collections as I'm missing very few things:
Issues 1,2,3,7 from the regular Marvel series and RvsT from Dark Horse, along with those one-shots. The rest I already have atleast in some form (for example, for R1 I only have the oversized B&W magazine and for R2 I only have the 3-issue version).

RB 12622

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
From what I've seen online from the Avatar books and most of Dynamite's - they definetely aren't exactly my cup of tea.

The avatar books get a lot of hate but I actually really enjoy them. The story is a pretty good alternative to Robocop 2 and interesting peek into Frank Miller's vision of Robo...plus his covers are some of the strangest takes on the character I've ever seen. The Jose Ryp art gets a lot of flak too but he's highly skilled and the gritty, super detailed style really fits the Robocop world in my opinion.

As for the Dynamite stuff, Revolution is one of the most boring and forgettable Robocop comics out there, so that ones is worth missing. Same goes for Road Trip, which is a little bit more interesting but still pretty boring. But Robocop Terminator: Kill Human, while being ludicrous, is a guilty pleasure of mine just because its a total mindfuck.

RB 1658

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Games & Comics All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard