New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Chappie (Neill Blomkamp)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

AlexRobo
O-L3

O-L3

Comment: "You gotta ask yourself one question, ED209, do you feel lucky?"

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote

Looks to me like a puerile version of our favourite cyborg RoboCop, but still looks quite promising.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/chappie/33582/neill-blomkamps-chappie-second-trailer

CREDITS 254

alex-murphy game-xbox
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote

Well, in regards to us, I wouldn't call this a take on RoboCop as the final product that we all know and love and worship, but rather a semi-take on Neumeier's original concept. Also makes me think of Asimov's stuff as well. And the more obvious Johnny 5 mixed with Iron Giant taken to the next level of sorts.. And so forth and so on. Lot that can be said about this, a lot this touches on, and a lot that intrigues me.

Of course, the return of the District 9 feel and tone, while somewhat subtle, is still quite strong here. Which is NOT a bad thing at all. In fact, it would be worth going for that alone, whatever the hell the film was actually about.

With that said, I'll certainly check it out in due course. I agree it looks promising.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote

I think it looks pretty good. I don't see it as being a take on Robocop, but definitely has similar themes. I thought District 9 was really good (especially the first third) and while I can't see this living up to District 9 it should still be highly enjoyable.

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote

Like I previously said in another topic, I'm looking forward to this, even if Chappy is a bit Appleseed-ish with those ears. While it does seem to tackle the same issues as District 9 and Elysium putting a robot as the main character makes it cool and I'd certainly give it a watch.

CREDITS 2697

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote

It looks nice. According to the director, itīs a "RoboCop on a comedy way" (which I canīt see in the trailers, donīt see a lot of humour on the first two). Also, it seems itīs some kind of "remake" of that Third World robotic cop short he did years ago.

Iīd like to see it. This and "Ex-Machina", by "Dredd"īs screenwriter. Itīs great to see robotic sci-fi with a "low budget" feel to it and more freedom to do things, instead of a superhero, safe way.

CREDITS 102

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote

Ive always loved this guys shorts and Loved District 9.. is delightfully cheesy and the whole distopian world and robots all looking cobled parts is right up my alley.. always daydreamed if my story of mindchamber was ever picked up Id wouldve him to do it. love his style

CREDITS 3259

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
Meriandressial
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

schitsophrenk

Comment: Victory Goes To The Bold And The Wise

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Chappie looks interesting. I love District 9. Awesome film.
Neil Blomkamp is a great film maker.
And it has Sharlto Copley. Hes a awesome actor.

It looks very robocop. But less serious tone.

It could be good. Im excited about it and will watch it.
In the cinema, maybe.

CREDITS 499

RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote

I wasn't all that fond of District 9 to be honest. It was cool but... I don't know. I don't have real high hopes for this but I will definitely check it out. Usually low expectations are better. I could be blown away.

CREDITS 4753

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
AlexMurphy
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote

Feels more like a remake of Short Circuit (which isn't a bad thing).

CREDITS 409

a-team Rambo-Knife game-xbox
Meriandressial
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

schitsophrenk

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Having seen some promo stuff. Getting less enthused by it.
It looks over simplistic.
Elysium was terrible. And I suspect this may have the same problems.
It's trying for that crap about a robot gaining sentience could destroy the world or something, from the look of it.
Hackneyed, stupid, rubbish. That sort of thing always is.

Still the only film worth seeing this year. But looking worse as it continues to show more. I suspect it's going to turn crass and painful rather than funny or good.

CREDITS 499

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote

A review I read says it is a mix of Short Circuit and RoboCop.

Incidentally, it is also made by Columbia and the adverts running for it in Ireland use the same music and sound effects Columbia used in the RoboCop 2014 trailers...

Am going to see it over the weekend. I liked District 9 and Elysium (they weren't excellent, but they were enjoyable) so at the very least I am sure I should enjoy this too.

CREDITS 71

Sin_Valor
No. 4 dumbass on the board

L-L5

Comment: Don't touch me man!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote

Is it me or does Chappie supposed to be like a rabbit? Maybe it's the ears.

CREDITS 13968

lewis-figure robocop-figure4 dvd-20th robocop-helmet auto9 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop Scratch Card
Meriandressial
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

schitsophrenk

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote

Sin_Valor :
Is it me or does Chappie supposed to be like a rabbit? Maybe it's the ears.

He probably copied that crap from Appleseed. Briareos. Good character. Atrocious design.

Unless he wants to make it look like a rabbit. Which would be weird.

CREDITS 499

Burnout
C-L4

C-L4

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote

I just got back from Chappie and it was freaking fantastic! I freaked out every time a robo inspired thing popped up in the movie, which was pretty often. Reviewers be damned, it was so enjoyable and contained so much more heart and soul than the Robo reboot its ridiculous. The effects and CGI were seriously the most convincing that I have ever seen, like for reals.

CREDITS 2702

game-xbox360 Ed-260 doctor-who-dalek ED-209-3D darkman-figure judge-dredd TMNT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard