New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2014 - Robo Edition - Fan Edit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote

Currently editing the remake movie to remove any content that is not proper Robo. Things like jumping, Novak, China factory, drefys act etc. Triming Robo's dialogue too as he seems to talk way too much and try to show him with his helmet rather than the fullface.

The flashback to the cafe shoot out scene as been brought forward and is no longer a flashback with the narration removed.

Let us know what scenes you think should be cut and if this edit sounds interesting.

RB 311

game-pad transformers-optimus AirWolf-Logo STH-Sonic ghostbusters-badge
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote

Good luck with that!

I was considering doing some kind of recut of the film, focusing on the silver suit, but sadly, Robo does NOTHING with it. I was shocked to know what he did with the silver suit (wake up, the Spiderman jump in China, running a little and the first test). The black suit does everything.

Anyway, do you have any proper way to isolate vocals from the rest of the audio mix? I wanted to do that with PD, but didn´t have any decent results. And I´m not that versatile to dubbed all the voices by myself tongue

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote

I'm interested to see what you can come up... it sounds like the running time on you version will be about 30 min. Laughing Seriously though, this is something I would welcome. I don't think you need to cut out scenes of Robo jumping though, as those play into some of the better action scenes and don't really violate what we all expected for the remake. We knew they wouldn't go with such a clunky design, so trying to recut the movie so he behaves like the original is a losing proposition. What I do want to see cut out is pretty much any scenes involving his wife before he dies and the other, unnecessary exposition. Oh, and if you could try to make the second half have any sort of natural flow that would be great too.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
What I do want to see cut out is pretty much any scenes involving his wife before he dies and the other, unnecessary exposition. Oh, and if you could try to make the second half have any sort of natural flow that would be great too.

Speaking of the family, I hope the ending will be quite different from the original...

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Zentron
:

<font color=0f1637>:<font color=C0D9D9>

Comment: Your move creep!!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote

I'd remove pretty much all of the family segments, especially the bit where he watches his son going to school and the press waiting all around!

Also, try to edit in some blood spatter! Man of Steel was PG-13 and yet you got to see jet plane pilots being turned into a bloody mush, the violence in this RoboFlop was way too PG!

RB 2548

game-xbox dvd-rvst klf-album1 RoboAnime ED-209-3D cola
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote

I agree with Chanood - I think 'real' Robo in such context would be him with the silver suit, but as we know, he does dick-all with it in the film. That aside, if you take out a lot of the trite and bullshit and focus to a more badass Robo with minimal family interaction, minimal-to-no secondary OmniCorp and related crap (China, Dreyfuss act, etc), and less vocals from Robo.. The movie will easily lose something like half it's running time, if not more, even if you leave in some things like jumping and whatnot (I wouldn't mind it, anyway). I really think Pimp's 30 minute estimate may sadly be more true than funny.. oh dear Hell, I actually think the movie could have benefited from a few more minutes in fact, but that's something else..

That said, it will be a neat experiment if nothing else. I agree with doing anything you can to give it some kind of nice flow and actual progressing-feeling - the latter half especially just drones on, until the ending where it shifts to just short of ludicrous speed. :roll: Perhaps chopping out some bits could help that.

I also think Zen said it with putting in some violence in it. I don't think that's too doable really but would be nice to see the film have a little hair on its ass there.. Even if you're not into the Full Verhoeven Experience, you can't deny this film violent-content-wise was almost children's programming compared to a lot of other similar-type films, even with the same rating - Shit I've seen more violence in network TV shows.

..Bah, I'm going into crap I said plenty of before. Anyway, bottom line, I do wish you luck, and would like to see what you come up with. Might be something pretty neat. We could look at it more as something of a TV pilot than a feature film if it gets less than an hour, and that might be a neat way to consider it. Just a thought.

PS - Nice to see ya again, Eric. Wink

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote

Welcome back, Eric!

Might be a neat idea, but you really wouldn't have a whole lot to work with. Sequence order might be changed up as well, and for example, you could have him going to his family in the end, depending on how much you cut from the movie. The China scenes, I kinda like, since he uses the silver suit in those.

Bottom line is, I don't know if this will improvie the movie, but it's not likely to make it worse, even if it does become quite shorter and I'd take a look at it, once it's done.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote

I've been thinking about the length issue for a bit now and I think the solution might be to really embrace the fact that it would be shorter. My idea: instead of trying to recut it as a new movie, try recutting it as if it were the pilot for a TV show. I feel a lot of the acting and production values make it seen like TV anyway, and I think that wouldn't have been a bad route for this footage to go... the material in this film could probably make for a really interesting and exciting 45 minute TV pilot... well, 'interesting' and 'exciting' might not be the best choice of words, but it would at least be a fun exercise to see if this material really would be better suited for TV.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Twitter pic of the edit in progress:-
https://twitter.com/ParkGames/status/552573102870499328/photo/1

RB 311

Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD
I thought that maybe a Fan-Edit had already been done but I'm well into it now anyway. This edit I have cut the silver suit done to just basically the training suit, this enables the cutting of most of the China parts and the wall jump. Some of the silver suit was good but I decided to cut most if it showed things like running and jumping.

Im working from the DVD so isolating audio is not my thing as I like to keep as much of the original footage as is but instead trim/cut and reorder scenes. The worst thing I hate with new films is the use of flashback/flashforwards with narration instead of playing the story in order.

RB 311

Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp
Running time is around 43mins and thats with the end credits. I've cut Robo jumping only while in the Silver suit as that just looked like Iron Man, the jumps in the Black Suit look almost believable.

All scenes with the family have been dropped and any scenes featuring them have been trimmed. Robo should always want his family but can never have them, the remake felt like the viewer was living with them! Same goes for Lewis, cut where possible. It may have been the actor but the character just seemed to slow the film down, his line "Good Cop - RoboCop" was terrible.

My hands are tied as to the ending but I have moved a small clip to after the credits…

Your spot on with the TV pilot as all that is missing would the commercials and the story now features on just the creation of Robocop.

RB 311

Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Zentron

Yep, all family scenes gone. I won't be trying Blood splatter as you have to be really good at it or just looks bad.
The PG rating really hits it hard, I think the only good splatter is a tiny shot to the shoulder of the corrupt cop where as Robo 87 had real effects every where! I guess shooting lots of robots in China and the drug house filmed in the dark was there to include plenty of guns yet with hits being seen.

RB 311

Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man

Hi Stan.

Agree here, all the secondary stories are gone and Robo's constant dialogue has been trimmed. Why did Robo have his visor up all the time? When the visor was down both suits looked superb. When Robo jumps on the ED209 and from the press conference it works but the Robo run and jump over the wall just looks like a cartoon, maybe if was a stunt rather than CGI it would be believable.

They tried to tell us that the PG rating would still have violence but I don't think anyone fell for that one - there is more gun play and blood in the new TV Hawaii 5-0!

Yes RoboPimp's 30 min estimate was not far off. 43 mins 24 secs to be exact!, thats around 74 mins thats been cut!

It really does lend itself to a TV pilot.

RB 311

Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93

Thanks RoboFan, finally found my login instead of just reading the forums.

Sequence wise its pretty much in order only the cafe scene is played before Murphy tells the Chief about it. Turns out there is only 43 min to work with! I agree that the China scenes are good but they just seem at odds with the story. Why is Robo being built/tested in China then moved to Detroit, also the training room scene feels like a bit of a con really. We have Robo doing a great rescue with a shoot-out but in reality he's just standing there connected to a simulator and why does the line "I'll buy that for a dollar" get spoken, there is no set-up for it.

I'm just about finished but having some rendering glitches to work out, but it currently feels like a fast and quick way to watch RoboCop 2014. You can pop it on and happily watch it all without using 117 mins, it could I suppose act as a demo for the film and lets you know if your interested in seeing more. (contains spoliers of course)

RB 311

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Fan creations All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard