New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2014 - Robo Edition - Fan Edit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Josh
Lover Extraordinaire!

OCP3 - L3

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote

I really hope the phrase "you can't polish a turd" is proven wrong here, although to be fair the reboot was one hell of a runny, stinking pile of shit.

RB 17812

ED-209 RoboCain-v2 robocop-figure4 auto9 dredd-gun dredd1
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote

Add CGI bloodsplats to the simulation and warehouse raids and a bit of Poledouris. Flashback at the start was good storytelling.

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote

Where's the best place to upload?

RB 311

game-pad transformers-optimus AirWolf-Logo STH-Sonic ghostbusters-badge
Mindchamber
DC-L4

DC-L4

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote

Eric :

youtube? just make it private and link it here

RB 8111

alloy-figure game-xbox360 Halo3-Helmet ED-209-3D transformers-icon1 Scratch Card
Bauc
O-L4

O-L4

Comment: Dead or Alive you are comming with me

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Mindchamber :
Eric :

youtube? just make it private and link it here

Yes Eric, YouTube would be great - please upload.

Thanks

RB 449

Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3c4bs9a9oimh076/RC2000.zip?dl=0

YouTube blocked it so I've tried dropbox.

RB 311

Sin_Valor
No. 4 dumbass on the board

L-L5

Comment: Don't touch me man!

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote

You can post it on Vimeo if you want...the other RoboCop remake still featured scenes from the first film, but to my knowledge, it hasn't been removed for copyright infringement. So you should be fine there.

RB 2

lewis-figure robocop-figure4 dvd-20th robocop-helmet auto9 comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop Scratch Card
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote

I just finished watching your reedit, and there's a few things I thought, both good and bad.

On the good side, I do really think that this material would have been better suited for a TV pilot. While the story is a little sloppy itself, it does serve to tell the origin for what could have been a string of interesting adventures of the new Alex Murphy taking on crime single handedly while making commentaries on our technologically dependent present/future. You were able to give the footage the feel of a typical cop drama through pacing and such, so in that way this is kind of an improvement over the original film. It doesn't add anything to the movie, but it breaks it down into a less boring, more watchable length. Because of this I have given you a PT for your work.

As for the bad, there were a couple scenes I was actually sad to see go, mainly the Mediabreak segments. I thought those bits were some of the more interesting from the remake, and Sam Jackson did a solid job. Since you wanted to capture the feel of the original I think it would have been a good idea to leave the Mediabreak segments in because they were one of the few callbacks to the original film that actually worked. Also, I would have liked to see the dream sequence that results in Alex waking up in the Robo suit, but it works as is too. While your efforts at streamlining/focusing the third act were somewhat successful, there wasn't much that could have been done to really make the material work.

Overall this was a good effort, but it ultimately just reinforced many of the flaws the movie had in its theatrical form, while cutting a few of those flaws out entirely. If the only problem with the movie was that it was too long this recut could have really worked, but like Stan said it might have actually benefitted from a bit more footage. There just isn't enough quality material to make it work in any form. I do applaud you for trying to make the movie more enjoyable, and while you were successful in many respects, you were really just doomed from the start. After this I don't think I'll ever want to view the remake again, be it in the original form or a fan edit.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote

I like the idea of taking out the fat to get a "leaner" cut, with more action and Robocop, and less blah-blah (all the Sellars-OCP dialogues can get very circular and repetitive, all the talking scenes about developing Robo should be reduced as you did). It is a very interesting approach, though I think you took out so much (almost 60%?) it feels so fast that you wouldn't have time to process what is going on after every big narrative leap, if you hadn't watch it before of course.

You would also ask yourself who are those characters who suddenly have an important role without any previous development of their motivations in the story, that is Sellars and Norton, and also you would wonder what happened to Clara all this time (Lewis is a hard issue already in the theatrical cut).

I think another approach would be to see what is really unnecessary and not essential and take it out. Instead of cutting entire scenes and chunks of movie (and characters like Jimmy and Novak), just cutting many little moments and dialogue lines inside those scenes. Ideally the final cut would be between 90-100 minutes?

For that of course a step outline or ordered list of all the scenes should be needed, and we could point and discuss which ones are not necessary or could be reduced (it would be subjective of course, Murphy talking with Clara with the webcam, some like it for its emotional function, but is it really necessary for the story? Couldn't we just skip it and have Murphy later coming back to home? Or should we just delete Robodad at home?). I think I approve that you took out Clara signing the contract, but I think the dream before the lab could remain (shorter maybe). I also think all that issue about Robo/Muprhy having an illusion of being in control while the system/machine is taking control in combat mode is just not essential to the story, the big issue is later when he gets his brain/system overloaded and loses all human conscience.

What is obvious is that the film takes so much time of development (story, characters, meetings, etc.) before Robo starts kicking some asses in Detroit that it feels very unbalanced, rushed and frustrating, even if the action scenes are good and well directed the audience invested so much time to get there that they feel unsatisfied.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Eric
R-L3

R-L3

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote

I noticed in the scene where Robo is shown the guns by Maddox when his visor raises to shake hands the visor appears to be black. Looks like the cgi is incomplete?

Also when Robo shoots the two corrupt cops at the station his taser gun appears to change hands from left to right. He then walks to the Chiefs office where he is now holding his machine gun. This may have been to keep the pace up but why don't wee see the guns coming out of his legs?

RB 311

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Fan creations All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard