New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Ex Machina

JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Saw this movie on Wednesday. A very good robot movie. Also, made me think - they should definitely do a motion capture RoboSuit on the next RoboCop film.

CREDITS 121

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
They should definitely do a motion capture RoboSuit on the next RoboCop film.

I think for most of us the physical suit is what makes Robocop so visually stunning... I could see how mocap could make it easier on the filmmakers, especially if they want him jumping around and stuff, but it takes away the magic of him being real. While most of us didn't like the design of the new Robocop suit, at least they did the right thing and built one from scratch. I can't speak for everyone, but I think i would have liked the movie a lot less if they had gone the mocap route all the way. The fact that he can stand amongst us without digital augmentation is integral, therefore I couldn't support the move to mocap.

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Six years ago, at the time of Avatar, I would have agreed with you that mocap would not work. But following the work on the latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film and, in partciular, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, I'd say the technology is there to make it seamless.

One of the ongoing problems with RoboCop is how you get a good enough actor to want to make themselves horrendously uncomfortable in that suit.

I like the 2014 designs (they had enough of a badass look but with some slimlining that made the costume more tolerable for the actor - I always suspected the exposed hand might be the real reason for that) but with mocap, you could have the original Bottin suit with full Moni Yakim RoboMovement and free of 'wiggle-ass'. The EM-208s for the most part look good in mocap, and have a mechanical movement to them. I agree mocap might have been a problem for the reboot because they were trying to make you empathise a lot more with Murphy's human dilemma, but even Kinnaman mentioned that if they'd done another film, it may have been mocap.

The thing that really struck me about Ex Machina is the way the robot Ava's face looks very much like how Weller's looks once Robo 'tips his hat'. That look is so cool, but involved such a long time in make-up, it would be unfeasible to have that look for too much of any one film. And then in the TV series, they really scaled it back and it didn't look as good as the films.

CREDITS 121

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard