New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Top 10 Robocop Comic Covers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote

A post I saw today about a certain issue on this list inspired me to go through my collection and come up with a list of my favorite covers. There were many I knew would be in there right away, and pulled about 20 out before narrowing it down to the top 10. This is a very biased list which may be why its mostly the older issues that I grew up loving, but I still think the old ones had better art in general. Here they are with my commentary:

10) Robocop #5
A classic take on an iconic pose. One of the most memorable from Marvel's run.

9) Robocop Prime Suspect #1
The image that inspired this list. The painted covers Dark Hose gave us were beautiful and this was my favorite as a kid.

8) Robocop #13
A mindfuck in my youth. Archive's avatar always reminds me of this one so I had to include it.

7) Robocop Mortal Coils #1
Another beautiful painted cover, I love how now only Robocop looks good here but the motorcycle thugs do too.

6) Robocop Killing Machine (wraparound cover)
Juan Jose Ryp's art got a mixed reaction in Avatar's run but this cover encapsulates everything good about his run: super detailed wraparound cover, mangled ass Robo, and Sexy Lewis.

5) Robocop Prime Suspect #4
Probably the strangest one to make the list, but the coloring on it is gorgeous (look at his face!) and the gunarm makes a welcome appearance.

4) Robocop #18
The image of Robo and the cop in the foreground would be great on its own, but the dark, evil Robo behind him makes this one of the best with its unique vision.

3) Robocop Mortal Coils #4
The top three are all my absolute favorites from childhood and for forever. There was a point in my life when I was obsessed with this cover and it was probably my favorite thing in the world for a while.

2) Robocop #15
What's better than a picture of Robocop? A picture of a whole shitload of Robocops, and they're purple. The Marvel run can get excessive but this cover is the perfect balance. The story inside didn't quite live up to the excitement promised here, but damn, how could it?

1) Robocop vs. Terminator #2
Robocop punching the shit out of a Terminator. And there's an ED-209 in the background. It doesn't get any better than this. When i was a very little kid I had a poster with this image on it. I would stare at it for hours because I didn't believe it was real. I only had seen the Marvel comics at the time so I found the idea of Robocop fighting Terminators a little too much to process. I still do. And there's an ED-209 in the background. I love that guy!

And just for 'fun' here's the worst Robcop cover of all time:

0) Frank Miller's Robocop #8
Frank Miller contributed a lot of great things to the Robocop universe. This is absolutely not one of them. I have owned this issue since it came out and still don't understand what is supposed to be pictured here. I'm trying to find the words to describe his hands but I simply can't.

Well, there you go: the good, the great, and the ugly. This was mostly a personal list not an objective art criticism so I'd be interested to hear what you guys think. Let me know which ones I missed.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote

Great topic, Pimp!

Those "Mortal Coils" covers you posted are some of my favourite as well!!
"Prime Suspect" 1 is mandatory to be here, as well as the cover for part 1 of "Mind Bomb"!

And while I'm not a fan of Dynamite's Robo books, these covers are fantastic:

"Terminator/Robocop: Kill Human" #2 Variant Cover
http://covers.cbrd.info/17622b6fa4b24301ebe1e97025bb1df9_xl.jpg

"Terminator/Robocop: Kill Human" #3 Variant Cover
http://files1.comics.org//img/gcd/covers_by_id/921/w400/921414.jpg?5747340213852223442

"Terminator/Robocop: Kill Human" #4 Variant Cover
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_large/7/73936/2079544-terminator_robocop___kill_human_004__of_004___2011__pagecover.jpg

I also really like the cover for the first part of the "Beyond the Law" story-arc in the Marvel series:
http://covers.cbrd.info/c60374f391570643f493e67e3338644d_l.jpg

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
POCOBOR
L-L2

L-L2

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Man, this post brings back so many childhood memories. Mostly the Marvel stuff. Back when it was about the only RoboCop merch I could get my grubby little paws on. That and whatever was left of the Ultra Police after all the kids snatched up the Robo figures. My local Walmart actually sold the Marvel run back in the day when it was new.
Oh, the nostalgia....

Anyway, yeah, great list! I'm inclined to agree with your selection for the most part. Those Marvel covers just got better and better as the series went on. So detailed and so expressive. Always loved #13 with the burning helmet but it always ran a close race, to me, with #19: http://www.newkadia.com/Covers/L/R/Robocop%201990%20series/robocop1990series19.jpg

The Dark Horse run definitely kept the spirit alive with their covers. Not sure if I have a favorite there; they were all so well done. I was always amazed at the accuracy of Prime Suspect #1 though. Everything but the mouth and color of the suit screamed RoboCop 2.

Anyway, for the memories Pimp.

RB 1391

robocop-figure3 robocop-head RoboBadge arcade2-robocop2 ford-taurus
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Great list.

I also remember how Lee Sullivan's art evolved inside the Marvel comics, in the final issues Robo looked fantastic, the art was more polished compared to the early ones, you can see that in the issue 18 cover you posted, that Robo looks as athletic a steel robot can get, a bit organic and flexible, that means Sullivan also mastered dynamic poses.

In the early issues Robo looked more bulky, wider, maybe clunky (specially with non-static poses), and the big chin guard (!), but still had personality and looked genuine.

How good the art was at the end can also be seen in Robo Flak, from the final issue.

I always loved the first image of Robo in issue 1 (as I said, with static poses it could look very good), great visual introduction:

There were also a few issues with a different art from the rest, probably from different artists.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Aside from maybe Ryp's bit (which as you said, did note everything Ryp was about in one piece and wasn't as clutter-crazy as other stuff, so it is a good representation there), I think you're pretty much dead on with that list. I especially agree about the RvsT as number one, as it is just such a powerful and evocative showing of that story.

Otherwise, not much to add myself. Sullivan's pieces are great, which indeed got greater as time went on, and Dark Horse definitely had some bitchin' covers. I always liked that one Mortal Coils with him and ED myself, for some strange reason (even with that facial expression, bah!). And the Prime Suspect #1 is just iconic in it's pose and detail.

All good stuff. REALLY looking forward to exhibiting these awesome comic covers and related blurbs on the FB page.. This list, though more a personal one, still mostly works as an objective rating of sorts to me. Again, it is a pretty good list. Nice one, Pimpo. Wink

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote

POCOBOR :
A Always loved #13 with the burning helmet but it always ran a close race, to me, with #19: http://www.newkadia.com/Covers/L/R/Robocop%201990%20series/robocop1990series19.jpg

I was going to post that cover. To me is pretty awesome.

And I liked Millerīs covers for the Avatar run, but I admit issue #8 is the weakest of them all.

Also, the "Last Stand" covers had style. I prefer that to the hyperdetailed stuff.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
Also, the "Last Stand" covers had style. I prefer that to the hyperdetailed stuff.

I agree. Issues from this series and Robocop Terminator: Kill Human (mentioned by Robofan) were considered. I was thinking about doing some runner up issues but figured there would be too many, but if I had issue 8 of Last Stand and the issue 2 variant of R/T that Robofan brought up would have both been in the runner up category. Also issue 4 of the original Robocop vs Terminator series would have been a runner up too.

RB 1658

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote

I am mostly familiar with the Marvel Robocop series, but I have seen some of the Dark Horse, Dynamite (recent) and Frank Miller Avatar series. They all do a good job with Robocop, as did Lee Sullivan and Mark Bagley in the Marvel series and Movie Adaptations. I like Frank Miller's work from the 70s and 80s because he utilizes negative space and stencil-esque saturated contrasting colors. I also like the way Walt Simonson organized images on the covers of the Robocop vs. Terminator books. It's hard to choose just based on artistic talent, so I will pick ones that resonate in my mind from reading:

Marvel Robocop #11 (great story too).
Dark Horse Robocop vs. Terminator #1
Dark Horse Robocop Prime Suspect #1
Marvel Robocop #23 (Robo in agony!)
Marvel Robocop 2 Movie Adaptation Mag (I loved this one as a kid)
Dark Horse Robocop Mortal Coils 1
Dynamite Robocop #1 (nice perspective shot)
Boom Comics Robocop #5 (reminds me of a Swamp Thing cover)
Marvel Robocop #5

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
Marvel Robocop 2 Movie Adaptation Mag (I loved this one as a kid)

Yes, this is a great one that I loved as a kid too! In fact, just last week my dad broke out an old photo of me reading it as a kid. I still have that copy but it has fallen apart, so I have the front and back cover hanging above my shrine to Robo. Good call JOF. Have a PT for your contributions, and welcome to the board!

RB 1658

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that your Robocop Mag hasn't fared well over the years. The book was also released in a trade paperback (the cover of that one is cool too). My grandmother got me that one for Christmas that year (Thanks, Grandma). You know that you are truly loved when your family supports your love of science fiction violence especially around the holidays.

Glad to be aboard, RoboPimp, sir!

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
The book was also released in a trade paperback (the cover of that one is cool too).

Yeah I got both movies in that format kind of recently and they are great. I put them first in my Robocop comics collection before the regular Marvel series so you can read the whole story of Robo in comics. Good covers on both, I was they had Robocop 3 in this format though they do have the issue adaption from Dark Horse which is one of the last things I need for my Robocop comics collection.

RB 1658

RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote

You are right. I have the Robocop 3 Movie Adaptation as well, but only in issues. I am not sure but I think that the trade has the same cover as Issue 1 of 4. Have you ever tried the Dynamite Robocop series that came out a few years ago? I liked some of the covers, but never bothered picking them up. I go to Comic-Cons at least once a year, so I figured if they turned out to be good, I could always pick them up there. They did a neat remake of Voltron as well. I didn't get into the series, but there were a couple of nostalgic covers (a few by Alex Ross) that I did grab just for posterity.

RB 1747

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:54 am Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
Have you ever tried the Dynamite Robocop series that came out a few years ago?

Yes, I have Revolution and RvT Kill Human in TPB and Road Trip in issues. Revolution and Road Trip aren't bad just pretty forgettable, their RvT is pretty horrendous in comparison to the original but I've grown to like some things about, it's pretty hilarious if you don't take it seriously. As far as the covers go none of them really stood out to me but there are a few good ones, including the one RoboFan_93 pointed out. The most interesting covers to me were the recolored versions of Walter Simonson art from the original RvT. It's a strange thing to do but they do look good.

RB 1658

JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote

Why have I only just seen this thread?! This is brilliant. Pimp - that Mortal Coils cover at no.3 tends to be my Facebook profile picture at Christmas. Awesome that you had a poster of that no.1 - it's pretty iconic. Was it a fold-out poster? It'd be great to have some of these as textless canvases. I'd be curious to know your Top 10 Robo comic stories.

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Games & Comics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard