New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Was Lewis in part responsible for Murphy's death?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote

And most important, did she feel guilty about it?

I remember when I was a kid how frustrated I felt because of Lewis not being there to help Murphy. Even more when she is there, but just watching powerless, I tried to re-imagine that moment, if she had her gun she could have started shooting those bastards from the side.

But before that, the way she was knocked down by Joe was a bit stupid on her part, let's be honest, it was a dumb distraction that shouldn't had happened if she did her job well (and we know she was a great cop and everybody can make a mistake), we could say because of that she failed to her partner, Murphy, and then was not there to help him.

Also we could debate if Murphy did the best confronting two armed guys by himself, and once he shot one it was matter of time for the rest of the gang to appear. Maybe he should have killed Emil straight away, instead of trying to arrest him, and leave the place or prepare for the others to show up.

We could even argue if it was a good idea at all that Murphy and Lewis parted their ways, they were only 2 cops against 6 armed guys... Do you think that going separate ways was the best option? Yes, they had more chances to find them and they had radio to communicate, but they also had more chances to be outnumbered and outgunned as it happened to Murphy.

Anyway, all that happened, and nothing could be done to change it, but the final thing to consider is: did Lewis feel guilty about it the rest of the movie? It is not stated in an explicit manner, but could we feel it behind her character, in the subtext? We know all her help at the end of the movie could be just because of friendship and partnership, but I feel there is something more, a more personal motivation, the way she acts, when she tries to comfort Murphy but he wants to be alone, there is more motivation you can see; the easy answer would be some romantic interest, but we know that was completely discarded from the screenplay, so my guess is Lewis could feel some guilt towards Murphy's death that she needed to compensate and repair, she needs to save him because she couldn't do it in the past, and she ends up saving Robo twice, almost losing her life at the end, that loyalty and sacrifice needs a very powerful motivation behind. And even from her last line, when Clarence is dead and they have won, she feels purged, relief, as if she could die in peace because she saved Murphy, in the same steel mill, against the same murderers, as if she went back in time.

And by the way, that potential idea of guilt in Lewis could have been an interesting theme to develop in the sequels.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote

artuditu :
Anyway, all that happened, and nothing could be done to change it, but the final thing to consider is: did Lewis feel guilty about it the rest of the movie? It is not stated in an explicit manner, but could we feel it behind her character, in the subtext? We know all her help at the end of the movie could be just because of friendship and partnership, but I feel there is something more, a more personal motivation, the way she acts, when she tries to comfort Murphy but he wants to be alone, there is more motivation you can see; the easy answer would be some romantic interest, but we know that was completely discarded from the screenplay, so my guess is Lewis could feel some guilt towards Murphy's death that she needed to compensate and repair, she needs to save him because she couldn't do it in the past, and she ends up saving Robo twice, almost losing her life at the end, that loyalty and sacrifice needs a very powerful motivation behind. And even from her last line, when Clarence is dead and they have won, she feels purged, relief, as if she could die in peace because she saved Murphy, in the same steel mill, against the same murderers, as if she went back in time.

And by the way, that potential idea of guilt in Lewis could have been an interesting theme to develop in the sequels.

I think you pretty much said it right there, dude. I myself had thought more recently watching the film that she was a bit extra invested in helping Murphy for that same reason - That she had some guilt in her (she was the one who made the call to go into the steel mill, after all) and that, in discovering Murphy was still 'alive', she could re-dedicate and redeem herself in being a partner to Murphy, to helping him. She too got a second chance there.

I do think it's something you have to kind of look for in the film, but I agree with you almost wholeheartedly in your analysis there. Don't really think I can add anything to any of that. Well put.

----

As for returning fire at Clarence and gang, well, I'd have to re-watch but, for the sake of argument - Lets say Lewis did still have her weapon: I think from where she was at she had no clear line of fire to Clarence and crew, not enough angle, and that the mesh was too fine to even shoot from one side to the other without risk of ricochet that could hit her or even Murphy. Plus I'm sure seeing what happened probably put her into a state of shock, which probably just froze her - You notice she didn't even scream out or anything.

Of course, an argument could be made she might have been able to fire anyway and scare them off or distract them, but by the time she made it to the mesh, I think Murphy was pretty much fucked anyway. Plus she too could have just been killed in an exchange of fire with the gang - It's still just her against five shotgun toting maniacs.

The whole sequence leading to Murphy's death went against police procedure and basic tactical sense - You always wait for assistance when dealing with armed subjects, especially in a locale/environment you aren't familiar with, you don't generally split up when you are clearly outnumbered and again in a non-familiar area, you make constant communication (Murphy even said, "Stay in touch"), and so forth.

But without things going as they did, we wouldn't have everything else. And many of the world's best things came about by stupidity, accident and/or mistake. That would include the events of this film and even the process of making it in the first place. Wink

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
That she had some guilt in her (she was the one who made the call to go into the steel mill, after all)

That's another very good point, and it makes me remember the whole dynamic between Murphy and Lewis since they meet for the first time. I feel there is some (positive) competition between the two at every moment, to impress and prove to each other how tough and brave cops they are, the "game" about who should be driving the car is just the tip of the iceberg of this relationship.

It just went too far when Lewis made the call to go into the steel mill, without waiting for reinforcements (even if we know those were not coming any soon), again I think they were playing this game of "look how tough I am, can you match that?". All this in a positive way of competition (is not the film about capitalism? is not the ideal capitalism about competition, about challenging each other, improving through competition and doing the best job?), but this time it just went too far, it was pride and recklessness. Things went bad, Lewis knows it, and may feel an internal remorse...

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Slash Man
O-L2

O-L2

Comment: Stay out of trouble.

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
Maybe he should have killed Emil straight away, instead of trying to arrest him, and leave the place or prepare for the others to show up.
That would've made things easier, but Murphy's too "by the book" to kill a cooperating suspect. Even as RoboCop, he gives fair warning before taking lethal measures.

No matter whose call it was to go in, the partner had an equal say in the matter, and could have refused. Murphy already made a bold move by insisting he drive; denying entering the building as a matter of life or death would seem simple for him. The problem was that they were too idealistic in handing it. Wanting to take any precautions against the gang escaping, they put their lives in serious danger.

So I'd say no. Murphy was very much in control of his actions. It was pure luck that Lewis didn't get killed as well (which may be part of the guilt idea).

RB 730

hamburger
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote

I seem to remember having this conversation here a few years ago, and what it ultimately boiled down to is Lewis could've just resisted looking at Joe's dick Murphy would have lived, but Murphy was ultimately responsible for his own death for being willing to go in without backup in the first place.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote

Slash Man :
artuditu :
Maybe he should have killed Emil straight away, instead of trying to arrest him, and leave the place or prepare for the others to show up.

That would've made things easier, but Murphy's too "by the book" to kill a cooperating suspect. Even as RoboCop, he gives fair warning before taking lethal measures.

-----

I'd say no. Murphy was very much in control of his actions. It was pure luck that Lewis didn't get killed as well (which may be part of the guilt idea).

I agree, Murphy wouldn't have outright have killed Emil, not how good cops operate, and that is certainly how Robo/Murphy operates.

And yes, I could concede that Lewis has no special blame and that the guilt that Lewis may have could instead just be survivors' guilt.

That said, I do now recall that this was debated previously as Pimp said, and I think he's right in that that's the basic conclusion the vast majority of us agreed on - Lewis indeed screws the pooch big time for looking at Joe's man-meat (though I'll say it's really more that she looked at it while also being within reach of Joe) but both her and Murphy screwed up going in on their own without backup; That was the main and fatal mistake here.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:14 am Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
I seem to remember having this conversation here a few years ago, and what it ultimately boiled down to is Lewis could've just resisted looking at Joe's dick Murphy would have lived, but Murphy was ultimately responsible for his own death for being willing to go in without backup in the first place.

This.

So frustrating she did that. we have already established she is a kick ass woman and against an enemy should have been more alert.

Stan The Man :
I myself had thought more recently watching the film that she was a bit extra invested in helping Murphy for that same reason - That she had some guilt in her (she was the one who made the call to go into the steel mill, after all) and that, in discovering Murphy was still 'alive', she could re-dedicate and redeem herself in being a partner to Murphy, to helping him. She too got a second chance there.

that's interesting. Id never considered her guilt before but it is there totally.

RB 4892

Ed-260
AceAlive1
Sgt-L1*

Sgt-L1*

Comment: I am VERY disappointed!

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote

OCP was responsible for murphy's death.

they called about backup....they didnt get any.

putting yourself in danger earlier during that chase would tell them to call it off for the time being when your life is in danger. you wait for back up after that.

RB 743

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote

AceAlive1 :
OCP was responsible for murphy's death.

they called about backup....they didnt get any.

putting yourself in danger earlier during that chase would tell them to call it off for the time being when your life is in danger. you wait for back up after that.

The radio call stated backup was 10/15 minutes away. Now that can be accounted to OCP and their 'restructuring' of the department, but additional assistance can take that long in the real world as well. Nevertheless standard police protocol is always to wait for backup when dealing when any armed subjects - that that wasn't followed isn't OCP's fault.

RB 52679

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:13 pm Reply with quote

I'd go one step further back...

If I was following a mini van which back doors flung open to reveal half a dozen crazy men firing shot guns at me, I'd hand brake turn it and bugger off!

RB 4892

Ed-260
RoboLewis
O-L2

O-L2

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote

I always thought it was mainly because they both went in without backup and looking down at Joe made it worse. How many guys could they actually arrest and put in the back of their squad car? Guilt caused Lewis to go after Murphy to tell him his name, rescue him when being shot at, and helping him at the Steel Mill to get revenge. I often wondered if she had nightmares or had to see the shrink to deal with it. She sees him laying there shot to bits, touches him and a chunk of flesh falls off. (Always grossed me out and then she puts her hands to her face when she cries!) If Lewis did go to Murphy's funeral, I would've hated to explain to his widow what happened that day if she asked why she wasn't close enough to assist him.

RB 1156

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote

RoboLewis :
I always thought it was mainly because they both went in without backup and looking down at Joe made it worse.

Absolutely. The main mistake was really going in and not waiting for backup. Even if Lewis and Murphy had been together i doubt they would have been able to arrest the gang. They'd be gunned down both of them.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:42 am Reply with quote

I think that it wouldn't be fair for Lewis to bear the blame for Murphy's death. Sure, it was her call to go in without backup, but as we learned earlier in the movie, backup is not something Detroit police can count on. Yes, Lewis did not "stay in touch" like Murphy said, almost as though he anticipated this raid going down bad, but I think its one of many instances of Murphy's excellence as an officer. He trusts his partner and will go to into the fray with her.
The distraction scene with Joe is weird. First of all, Lewis casually pops her bubblegum as if to say, "gotcha," like a pro, but then she gets so easily distracted by him. She also must have been real close to be in range of that backhander, a rookie mistake. Getting knocked out for a half hour didn't help either. She makes her way to the other side of the killing room just in time to see Murphy get blown apart. If you ask me, that would have been punishment enough.

It just occurs to me that this two officer raid is somewhat like a "Wild West Showdown." There is something iconic about the good versus the evil relying only on their wits and skill to win the day. The only problem for our heroes is that Clarence's gang fights dirty. Which is why Lewis should not be to blame. Clarence is one bad dude. There's no surrender with this guy and he hates cops. I think that had it not been for the sheer brutality of Murphy's murder, Clarence's gang would not have been able to terrorize good guys and innocents throughout the movie (when we first see them, they are squabbling amongst themselves in Emil's van, and you don't get the impression that they are really as bad as they are unsuccessful bank robbers). It's also the reason that RoboCop had to take them out one at a time to get revenge (and yes, at that point, he was Murphy and he was seeking revenge. He didn't get any error messages (Directive 3: Uphold the Law?). He must have tuned them out). RoboREVENGE!

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:40 am Reply with quote

I'd have to say yes. She made the call to go in without backup. On the other hand, Murphy should have called for her BEFORE confronting any members of the gang. His choice to make a solo arrest without his partner there to keep an eye on his back contributed to his death. However, given the nature and brutality of this particular group of felons, it's likely that they both would have been killed anyway. She was just lucky that the fall didn't kill her as Joe thought it did.

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard