New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

MAD MAX : FURY ROAD

AlexRobo
O-L3

O-L3

Comment: "You gotta ask yourself one question, ED209, do you feel lucky?"

Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote

I watched this at the cinema. Probably the best action film so far this year. Spectacular cinematography, brutal fight sequences, explosive stunts and a frenetic pace that only lulls midway through the movie. There were some secondary characters who were quite annoying, but Charlize Theron has got to be one of the best heroines we've seen in recent years along with Noomi Rapace in the Girl trilogy. She is tough, menacing, relentless and ballsy. The movie could have easily been about just her instead of Max. Speaking of which, Tom Hardy gave a strong performance. Not quite as likeable as Gibson, but he has the grizzled, leather look down to a tee, he's very athletic and can throw a punch as well as fire guns like a proper action hero.

CREDITS 254

alex-murphy game-xbox
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote

9/10

CREDITS 13

game-xbox
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Just coming back from it. And it is "Mad" indeed!!

The movie is a (nearly) non-stop adrenaline rush from start to finish, The story is good, the action sequences are insane and the music and acting are top-notch! Don't even get me started on the designs!! I would absolutely love to have an artbook for this flick. Go see this movie, people!!

Minor spoiler alert for rest of post:

The only thing that slightly disappointed me is that it is its own thing - it doesn't tie in to the other movies. But maybe that's for the best, who knows. It certainly keeps the Mad Max spirit alive though.

CREDITS 2697

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
AlexRobo
O-L3

O-L3

Comment: "You gotta ask yourself one question, ED209, do you feel lucky?"

Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Wasn't it Roger Ebert who said that RoboCop reminded him of Mad Max?

What a film this would have been if it was made back in 1985 with Mel Gibson instead of Beyond Thunderdome. It would have made it a classic action trilogy and maybe an actress like Susan Sarandon could have played Furiosa. But Charlize Theron did a highly commendable job and the vehicular destruction was awesome.

CREDITS 254

alex-murphy game-xbox
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
I would absolutely love to have an artbook for this flick.

The Art Of Mad Max: Fury Road is listed on Amazon.

Going to watch it tomorrow. Hopefully, the successes of Kingsman, Mad Max and (probably) Deadpool will make studio bosses realise there is a market for R-rated action flicks. Now, what R-rated properties could they pick up next. Oh, RoboCop!!

CREDITS 121

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
Hopefully, the successes of Kingsman, Mad Max and (probably) Deadpool will make studio bosses realise there is a market for R-rated action flicks. Now, what R-rated properties could they pick up next. Oh, RoboCop!!

One can hope.. even if so it didn't come quick enough to help R2014, though frankly that film would have probably sucked only marginally less with R-rated content anyway. I fear the same for the new Terminator as well - If that realization is coming, it ain't coming quick enough to save Termy from finally getting a Pussy-Grab 13 rating either (though again, like R2014, I have reservations about the film regardless of the rating).

Bah, anyway, that's all another thing. Ain't had a chance to catch it myself but intend to in due course. I'm hearing a lot of rather skeptical parties speak VERY highly of this one which tells me enough. It seems to be a winner.

CREDITS 2304

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboFan_93

OCP1 - L1

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
RoboFan_93 :
I would absolutely love to have an artbook for this flick.

The Art Of Mad Max: Fury Road is listed on Amazon.

Ah, great! I previously only saw a "Inspired by the movie" artbook, but this is definitely something I'll be on the lookout for.

CREDITS 2697

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
RoboDemise
What's all this then?

DC-L1

Comment: I come from hell

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote

I plan on seeing it soon. It is a great franchise for the most part. My son loves the old movies so hopefully it's not freaky for him but it does look MAD!

CREDITS 4753

robo-scraped AClockworkOrange Stern-Sirius prototype-figure2
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote

Well I saw this with my dad today and was pretty disappointed. There were some great elements, like the flawless design and the car battle / chases were awesome, but it would have been great if there were something else to the movie beyond just car chase to car chase. It all feels like a 2 hour romp through the last scene of the Road Warrior, which is fine, but it didn't have any of the excellent character development or dialogue of previous films. In fact, this movie didn't have really any character development whatsoever. All of the characters are flat, especially Max. Furiosa is a cool character but also pretty boring. Worst of all is the villains. While many of them looked cool, the main villains weren't nearly as interesting or intimidating as Humongous or the gang from the original Max Max. Add to that a very predictable and repetitive ending and you have a stale plot that looks fantastic. There was a lot of potential here, with a great beginning and some very cool world building that was not explored nearly enough. In the end, the movie had some good elements but not nearly enough.

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
RoboFan_93

OCP1 - L1

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
Well I saw this with my dad today and was pretty disappointed. There were some great elements, like the flawless design and the car battle / chases were awesome, but it would have been great if there were something else to the movie beyond just car chase to car chase. It all feels like a 2 hour romp through the last scene of the Road Warrior, which is fine, but it didn't have any of the excellent character development or dialogue of previous films. In fact, this movie didn't have really any character development whatsoever. All of the characters are flat, especially Max. Furiosa is a cool character but also pretty boring. Worst of all is the villains. While many of them looked cool, the main villains weren't nearly as interesting or intimidating as Humongous or the gang from the original Max Max. Add to that a very predictable and repetitive ending and you have a stale plot that looks fantastic. There was a lot of potential here, with a great beginning and some very cool world building that was not explored nearly enough. In the end, the movie had some good elements but not nearly enough.

Well, I guess you sort of went into it with the wrong expectations as Miller pretty much stated that he wanted the movie to be "one big chase".

Max wasn't shining in terms of development, but to me, Road Warrior and Thunderdome established that he shows up whenever and wherever he's needed and once he's done his job, he leaves which was pretty much the situation here.

The bad guys, I also felt were really cool - they had a neat cult-like behaviour with the Walhala talks and steering-wheel shrines. It was also neat to see different groups exchanging each other's resources.

CREDITS 2697

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote

RoboFan_93 :
It was also neat to see different groups exchanging each other's resources.

I totally agree. This vision of Max's world was one of my favorite elements of the movie. Gas Town and the Bullet Farm were two very interesting places that I would have liked to see explored more. However, since Hardy has signed on for at least four more Mad Max movies, I'm sure I'll get my wish sooner or later.

CREDITS 191

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Movies and TV All times are GMT

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard