New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

Who would you cast as Anne Lewis?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote

I saw Sicario last night. Struck me Emily Blunt would make a good Anne Lewis. Different to Nancy but there's something in her performance that made me watch her for the whole film pretending she was Lewis.

When I think of the holy trinity of sci-fi films from my childhood, all of them had strong yet compassionate female characters: Anne Lewis, Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley. Whatever direction another Robo film takes, I hope Anne Lewis returns, chewing bubblegum and kicking punks in the back!

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
RoboFan_93
Would Buy You For a Dollar

OCP1 - L1

Comment: Scumbags see the judge on Monday morning

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I can see Emily Blunt in the role. She has the potential to kick ass.

Otherwise... not really thinking of anyone at the moment. I'd maybe like to see someone who isn't too well known.

RB 12622

Batman89 MMPR game-nes1 game-nes2 game-nes3 Metroid-Samus robocop3-flightpack TMNT
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote

At the time of us speculating who would get the part in the remake (and before it was given to a dude) I thought Katee Sackhoff would have been a good choice and I still think she'd fit perfectly.

I remember a few fans wanted Scarlett Johansen as Lewis but personally I've really never thought her being believable as an action star. Sure she does plenty of action roles but it never feels believable to me.

RB 347913

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Sackhoff is a very good call Archive.

I thought Fassbender and Johanssen would have been the dream team long ago. I'm not opposed to her but I think she's etched too firmly in people's minds as Black Widow now. Mind you, Sam Jackson was in the reboot but not in an action role.

Blunt is being named as a possible contender for Captain Marvel. One obstacle for Robo as a big budget franchise is there's always people lining to do the Marvel movies first. Mind you, with Anne Lewis you don't have to persuade an actor to wear the Robo suit. Funny sentence to type because I wouldn't care how uncomfortable it is. If I owned it, I'd even lounge in it.

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote

Archive :

Nice, looks like they've just had a lovers tiff, and big Robo clearly didn't come out the winner!

RB 4892

Ed-260
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
When I think of the holy trinity of sci-fi films from my childhood, all of them had strong yet compassionate female characters: Anne Lewis, Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley. Whatever direction another Robo film takes, I hope Anne Lewis returns, chewing bubblegum and kicking punks in the back!

Indeed, need to have that particular quality.

That said, frankly, I don't think Scarlett Johanssen has that. More than that I honestly think she's a bit too pretty and exudes just a bit too much overt sexuality (which has been reinforced in most all of her roles), and that's a no-no for the Anne Lewis character.

I remember Sackhoff being well agreed before and I don't think that's changed much now, she is still a good pick. Blunt is also a good pick, I could see her doing quite well in that kind of role, actually.

Bah, maybe I'll think about this when I get some free time and come up with a couple contenders. I agree with 93 that it would be good to have a 'sort of' unknown for the role. I also gotta say - and keep in mind I'm usually not one to toot the diversity horn - but I think a woman of color might make for an interesting pick as well.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote

Lewis' character is that of a really tough tomboy who doesn't say much. In the original movie, I remember not finding her the slightest bit attractive even though the actress, Nancy Allen, was really hot in Carrie. I think that they would have to downplay her sexuality and make her a really cold strong female figure. Like Sigorney Weaver in the Alien movies (also hot, but I believe was intentionally made to be more masculine in the movies), she would need to be the same type of powerful actress. Honestly, the first that comes to mind is Michele Rodriguez because she did so many movies where she was also a tomboy (Fast and the Furious), but I don't know if that would be the best choice.
You would probably want to go with an older actress just because going too young might weaken the credibility of the actress. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo actress (I can't think of her name) was tough and reserved, but maybe too young for the part.
Mirielle Enos, who was in Sabatage, was another that comes to mind. She was really badass in that movie and she might be a good attempt an remaking Anne Lewis. Just a thought.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote

RoboJOF :
Lewis' character is that of a really tough tomboy who doesn't say much. In the original movie, I remember not finding her the slightest bit attractive even though the actress, Nancy Allen, was really hot in Carrie. I think that they would have to downplay her sexuality and make her a really cold strong female figure. Like Sigorney Weaver in the Alien movies (also hot, but I believe was intentionally made to be more masculine in the movies), she would need to be the same type of powerful actress. Honestly, the first that comes to mind is Michele Rodriguez because she did so many movies where she was also a tomboy (Fast and the Furious), but I don't know if that would be the best choice.
You would probably want to go with an older actress just because going too young might weaken the credibility of the actress. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo actress (I can't think of her name) was tough and reserved, but maybe too young for the part.
Mirielle Enos, who was in Sabatage, was another that comes to mind. She was really badass in that movie and she might be a good attempt an remaking Anne Lewis. Just a thought.

I agree. Despite Nancy Allen being quite hot in Carrie, you wouldn't think of her in that way at all in RoboCop, and I think it worked very well, she was a colleague and friend, for a first movie you don't need to play at all with her sexuality. Maybe in later installments at some point (marvel comic books had that issue where all the police department went mad and Lewis kissed Robo), but that's it.

It is still hard to believe how the RoboMake discarded such a strong female character... Just because they wanted Murphy's wife to play a big role they thought they wouldn't need another female character to compete with, but all the female dynamics (wife-mother) became suddenly more traditional than a movie released 27 years before.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
It is still hard to believe how the RoboMake discarded such a strong female character... Just because they wanted Murphy's wife to play a big role they thought they wouldn't need another female character to compete with, but all the female dynamics (wife-mother) became suddenly more traditional than a movie released 27 years before.

Nail on the head, I still never got that myself - In that regard the original remains rather innovative while the remakeboot almost regresses, kind of a shame, really.

You and JOF also said it about Nancy. Could be a hot and attractive gal to be sure as with Carrie but not to be so here, that's gotta be toned down - Having that sexuality aspect in the film is a detraction and inappropriate as Neumeier said. Maybe can can bring it up later but initially it's gotta be more neutral.

I can't help but hear the opposing side in my head saying 'you're asking for exactly the same as the original, what's the point - why not change it up a bit with Lewis?'. And to be fair, that is a decent point, but all-told, I like sticking with what works when it comes to the Lewis character for the most part - I'd rather play more with other pieces/parts. I think most everyone else would be of the same mind, too.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote

anna kendrick

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote

RoboPimp :
anna kendrick

Too short I'm afraid tongue1

It's actually not easy to pick an actress, Lewis had a balanced mix, she could be tough and professional, she could be friendly and a bit cheeky/funny, she could be emotional, she also looked somewhat strong/athletic, but not exaggerated, very confident in her cop uniform, and overall she was NOT a tomboy, she was feminine (but not sexualized). May sound easy, but is a balance hard to find.

In R2 by the way she had even more tough action scenes, but we know when not fighting her hairstyle took out some of the toughness from R1, but with a helmet she kicked plenty of asses (more than in R1 actually).

In R3 I'm sorry to say but she looked like a mother, hairstyle didn't help, she looked much older (despite movie being shot not long after R2), not tough at all, more out of place on her cop uniform, and in general her acting felt a bit disengaged, but I don't blame her, it was the movie...

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
RoboJOF
Sgt-L4

Sgt-L4

Comment: Bitches, leave!

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote

Stan, your comment crossed my mind as well. If you are going to make a new movie, why try to recreate the original. I am not opposed to a feminine Anne Lewis character, but I think that the character has a distinct purpose, to be a partner to Robocop and while her personal details may be somewhat involved in the plot, she still needs to be able to serve that purpose. I think that one thing that Lewis did well was to add some realistic humor with her characters' dialogue. Play that up, make her a humorous character who reflects on things as she sees them (sorry chief, I guess I f***ed up.). She could add some levity to a serious movie and essentially be the voice of the audience that is watching the film and reflect on things that happen.

RB 1747

transformers-mega Voltron sprite-robocop1 arcade1-robocop magnavolt metroid-figure2
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote

Stan The Man :
In that regard the original remains rather innovative while the remakeboot almost regresses, kind of a shame, really.

Yes, itīs also interesting how they decided to work on a future without big barriers between men/women. The showers, the look of some of the policewomen (short hair, etc). For a Verhoeven flick, a guy known from his crude violence and sex, looks strange to get a flick without big sex scenes (the one I could think of in this flick itīs the rape scene, and I think it goes more in the violent aspect).

In that aspect, in RebootCop it goes cliche: here you got a baddass male partner, and here you got the hot wife to get teenagers wanking themselves while thinking on her when sheīs on a bra, breathing heavily.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
JohnBoyAdvance
Sgt-L1

Sgt-L1

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Rhonda Rousey. (giggle) Actually I could see her playing a Terminator. Ie: Emotionless, arsekicker and doesnt sell shit.

I really dont know. ScarJo is doing so much stuff as a headliner she probably couldnt do it now. Especially that she would be in the supporting role unless they were to swerve us at the end. Or something.

Im a Brit so I'll throw in Michelle Ryan's name. She did the remake of Bionic Woman which apparently suffered in the writer's strike. Seems to have had some action-y moments and shes a decent enough actress.

RB 710

cake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard