New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

More RoboCop2 mysteries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Maxlee
C-L1

C-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote

What do you guys think of RoboCain's remote control? Yeah... it's a bit farfetched to bring it up, but maybe it's wonky leftovers from an early version of the script.

I mean, the remote is perfectly capable of disabling RoboCain's weaponry, yet when tasked to shut him down, Faxx stumbles clumsy and claims that she "can't".

What does she mean with "I can't" ? Does she mean she should be able to, but the remote is malfunctioning and thus fails to do so, or does she mean she simply can not, meaning shutting down RoboCain is not even an option of the remote.

I believe this is also somewhere asked on IMDB, saying "if it can do one thing, then why not the other?"

I believe in Frank Miller's RoboCop, a remote control for "RoboKong" plays a larger role in the story, didn't it control Kong's moodswings or something?

I can't remember if the remote is featured in the comic adaption of R2 at all.

This is a bit random, but hey, maybe our Robo-detectives can find something Wink

RB 1560

Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

OCP Rank (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote

Maxlee :
I mean, the remote is perfectly capable of disabling RoboCain's weaponry, yet when tasked to shut him down, Faxx stumbles clumsy and claims that she "can't".

I see is like Cain has managed to take control over the machine and as such pressing the OFF button does nothing at this point. Kind of how Robo is still active and online although Dick Jones shuts him down.

Why exactly Cain isn't also able to control the weapons part of the machine is a bit wonky though.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote

It's a good point to raise, those kind of details we just take as granted but we usually never question Smile

I think is what Archive says, Cain has more control over the machine than expected, as with Robo it's just the lesson to be learnt from the movies, nothing is simple when you mix human brain and machinery!

That the remote control can disarm him is not really a detail that bothers me, it just works to create tension and surprise (everybody is a bit nervous and tense but they still think everything is under control, until he starts shooting people and panic starts), it has its dramatic purpose. Instead of Cain just doing whatever he wants, there must be an action where he shows the power to free himself from OCP orders, and that was the remote control's purpose, it's more about narrative than anything else.

I also don't remember if the remote control plays any part in the comic adaptation.

I would be much more concerned though about why RoboCain never talks (I know it's not an obscure issue, since it has been brought up many times around here), all previous police robots (ED-209, Robo, Robo2 prototypes) showed how communication is vital, it would be impossible to perform his job without talking. Maybe RoboCain was still in a beta phase? It would also explain his look, he doesn't look as a finished and polished version of a final product, with all those visible hydraulic pistons and skeletal legs and arms look.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
vegasrobo
RoboGod and Shit

DC-L3

Comment: Vegas Baby!!!

Great Work Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote

Interesting stuff.

RB 5648

robocop-figure4 ultra2 punisher-skull 6000SUX dredd1 dredd-gun
Archive

<font color=102457>.<font color=C0D9D9>

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote

Maxlee :
I can't remember if the remote is featured in the comic adaption of R2 at all.

It's there, and has much of the same screen time. Here it looks like an old calculator though.

I believe in Frank Miller's RoboCop, a remote control for "RoboKong" plays a larger role in the story, didn't it control Kong's moodswings or something?

Yup, in the Avatar Frank Miller comic the remote is featured more prominently (and now looks like a "walkie talkie")
The device can control the machine with 6 different colorful icons depending on situation.

RB 348130

auto9 watermelon comic1-robocop arcade1-robocop hamburger sunblock5000 robocop-figure2
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote

The vial of Nuke the Old man was waving was too much, Cain's addiction made him dominate the machinery.

RB 1199

game-xbox
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:43 am Reply with quote

Maybe Faxx just didn't program in an 'on/off' button and had the remote for every other operational function.
Her body language to the Old Man does suggest sarcastically "What, you think I can turn off the Robo monster with just this remote?"

RB 4892

Ed-260
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote

I think Edd said it really - It's a simple explanation that works fine. Though what artu and Archive have stated works as well - Cain has now gained 'control' over the machine as Robo/Murphy did and thus is able to fight or bypass any shut down/standby/'sleep' commands. The detail about being disarmed isn't big to me, it's needed narrative wise to build that suspense as said.

I'll add to Edd's suggestion of no simple 'shut down' button by noting the following - Remember the control panel for ED seemed to have had no hard shutdown or signal cutoff switch/etc and they literally had to tear out the wires which presumably powered the panel (which evidently was controlling ED remotely).

Likewise Robo had no simple remote 'shut off' button either (at least not initially - he would have one later in the Series though) so I assume it's a bit of a deal to 'turn off' Robo/Ed/Cain/etc than can be done with just with a button, the other 'humanity taking over' stuff notwithstanding.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote

Yeah, and to think Ed is all droid would be easier to have a shut off switch, whereas Robo (except for breaching directive 4) and Cain having human elements would not be so 'ethical' to have an 'off' button.

But I think it lends itsself to the Verhoeven humour of them ripping at the cables in Ed's control deck in the Board Room in an effort to turn him off - very funny!

RB 4892

Ed-260
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote

artuditu :
I would be much more concerned though about why RoboCain never talks (I know it's not an obscure issue, since it has been brought up many times around here), all previous police robots (ED-209, Robo, Robo2 prototypes) showed how communication is vital, it would be impossible to perform his job without talking. Maybe RoboCain was still in a beta phase? It would also explain his look, he doesn't look as a finished and polished version of a final product, with all those visible hydraulic pistons and skeletal legs and arms look.
You could be right. The overall look doesn't scream "finished product" and of course, Cain has a screen with his face on it but he can't communicate, so in effect, what good would he have been in a situation that required talking? If he wasn't meant to talk, why have a screen with his face on it at all?

RB 18145

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Paddy :
artuditu :

You could be right. The overall look doesn't scream "finished product" and of course, Cain has a screen with his face on it but he can't communicate, so in effect, what good would he have been in a situation that required talking? If he wasn't meant to talk, why have a screen with his face on it at all?

I agree with all this - That RoboCAIN was still in a (admittedly late) prototype stage, and not a fully finished 'production' model as it were.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote

I like the way it doesn't talk.kind of makes me realize how Cain is now trapped inside the robot with no way out. Can't touch physically, cant talk, controlled by Faxx to a point, can only get nuke if he behaves... I guess it adds to the horror of what has become of him. I think not talking even frustrated Cain when he couldn't communicate with Angie before killing her (still don't quite understand his reason there but maybe that is part of it?).

I guess this is the total opposite of his human side being in control of his nuke cult and having the drug whenever he likes.

RB 4892

Ed-260
HOB888
O-L5

O-L5

RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote

Edd 209 :
I like the way it doesn't talk.kind of makes me realize how Cain is now trapped inside the robot with no way out. Can't touch physically, cant talk, controlled by Faxx to a point, can only get nuke if he behaves... I guess it adds to the horror of what has become of him. I think not talking even frustrated Cain when he couldn't communicate with Angie before killing her (still don't quite understand his reason there but maybe that is part of it?).

I guess this is the total opposite of his human side being in control of his nuke cult and having the drug whenever he likes.

I think when he figured out that he could never have sex with Angie , like before, he snapped.

RB 1199

game-xbox
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote

HOB888 :

I think when he figured out that he could never have sex with Angie , like before, he snapped.

Yeah that would be the one of the most difficult things to come to terms with

RB 4892

Ed-260
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard