New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

RoboCop 2: Corporate Wars - Script
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote

Many thanks to all involved in getting this to us. It is greatly appreciated.

Having read it in one sitting last night I can certainly now see why Orion said that, as it currently was, was "unfilmable". It doesn't feature Robo that much and the setting and tone has changed enormously from the original, and this change would have been far too jarring for the audience.

You can certainly see what elements were there that ended up getting used in the TV series, such as Robo being destroyed and offline for a while (though not 25 years!) NeuroBrain merging with Robo to fix him (or make him stronger as per the screenplay), the execution live on TV as entertainment etc.

It was interesting to read, but even if it was refined and polished up a bit more, I still think this would not have been regarded as a good sequel. Like Mephisto said, I would much prefer the RoboCop 2 we got in 1990 over this.

RB 17167

Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
Well, Ed said that he doesn´t get how the rest of the RoboCop saga tried to humanized Murphy,...

Really? Where is that interview?

ChAnOoD :
wonder how Verhoeven could handle those scenes.

As I read the script I imagined Total Recall... Shocked

pewera :

Maybe, one day, we'll read total reveal David Self's one for the reboot too. With Aronofsky involved and knowing his Batman, probably it features a very different RoboCop from what we have seen yet.

Is the David Self script available to read? So many could-have-been scripts....

ChAnOoD :

There was one of the drafts for RebootCop floating on the net. The one with Murphy being "killed" by thugs, Oldman´s character testing robotics on monkeys and Murphy without an eye at the end.

And is this script still on the web somewhere?

RB 4892

Ed-260
Pewero
R-L1

R-L1

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote

The script by David Self isn't on the web, sadly. It's one of those impossible to find scripts; maybe only him, Aronofsky and someone at MGM may have it. The other one, instead, it's easy to find searching with Google. It's on Wikileaks too.

RB 95

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote

Edd 209 :
Really? Where is that interview?

I think it was included on that UK RoboCop Special magazine, and maybe in the coffee table book as well.

Edd 209 :
As I read the script I imagined Total Recall... Shocked

It happens to me at some quiet scenes. But I wonder how it´d handle the robot fights. Those robots and lasers should be more advanced that good old 209.

Edd 209 :
Is the David Self script available to read? So many could-have-been scripts....

Doubt it.

Edd 209 :
And is this script still on the web somewhere?

I think someone here found it, not sure. But it was easy to find. And, while it has the same stupid cliches from RebootCop, they tried to make it more "mature". Still, writing the first RoboCop model as a "stupid 80´s toy" doesn´t make us believe the writer loved the character.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
artuditu
mio Cid

C-L3

Comment: Stay out of trouble!

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
I wonder how it´d handle the robot fights. Those robots and lasers should be more advanced that good old 209.

I also had some troubles picturing those scenes, the screenplay is so heavy in science fiction elements, such a big departure from the original look. Yet, from a difficulty point of view, I don't think it would be more of a challenge than Robo vs Cain, that looked glorious then, and it is literally a robot wrestling match (probably ridiculous in a written form)! Phil Tippett would have figured it out.

RB 6857

spawn-figure alien-warrior starwars-trooper prototype-figure1 starshiptroopers robo-scraped knightrider-kitt
BIONICS BOB
O-L5*

O-L5*

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote

I would like to thank Archive and everyone involved in bringing this script to the archive!! Like all of you, I've been waiting a long time to read this.

Cheers!

RB 420

comic3-robocop game-xbox
JimWantsAliens
L-L1*

L-L1*

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote

OH MY GOOD GOD! BATMAN V SUPERMAN CAN WAIT!! I'M READING THIS TONIGHT!!!!

THANK YOU Archive!!! Smile

RB 2943

remake1 robocop-statue game-xbox
Edd 209
C-L1

C-L1

Comment: EMU 209 // We have the future Down Under control...

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote

JimWantsAliens :
OH MY GOOD GOD! BATMAN V SUPERMAN CAN WAIT!! I'M READING THIS TONIGHT!!!!

THANK YOU Archive!!! Smile

Wait a sec... There's a batman v superman film?

Definitely prefer Robo v sexbot - dawn of something really different...

RB 4892

Ed-260
Judge Black
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote

In the rush to write the screenplay it's clear they were willing to take more ideas and material straight from Howard Chaykin's comic American Flagg and 2000AD's Judge Dredd. Some of which are legally contentious if they'd remained in the same state.

The housing blocks in American Flagg are called Plex-Malls and are a combination of apartments and shopping-mall built to house the middle-class and the elite while the underclass live outside. Cities are basically run from the Plex-Malls - in Corporate Wars they're called Plexes.

The plot in Corporate Wars - as in RoboCop - is also very similar to Flagg in that corporations are running or trying to run the Presidency/administration. The topographic set-up is like Judge Dredd's Cursed Earth with the Plex being a walled-off city with a wasteland outside - also the democrat/political terrorist plot.

RoboCop has a program installed - Plex Justice 5000 - that makes him effectively a one-man judge, jury and executioner capable of applying instant street justice like the academy conditioned Judges in Judge Dredd - "PlexJury finds you guilty as charged".

However, given time and development, it still would've made a better film than RoboCop 2 once the issues of story and RoboCop's character/motivations had been ironed out. I much prefer that they were willing to push the concept beyond the first film and not make a condervative sequel - the last thing I'd want for a RoboCop film would be a predictable follow-up in the same setting as the first. It's the type of thing Verhoeven would've relished and it's a pity it didn't happen. I could see Verhoeven taking this script now and making a sequel from it. It would certainly work given its 25 years later setting that follows the original.

The elements that were taken from Corporate Wars to develop the TV series pilot - The Future of Law Enforcement - are the weakest parts of the script so I wouldn't call it a genuine adaptation of the unmade RoboCop sequel.

RB 306

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote

I could see Joe Dredd´s elements in RoboCop, as Neumeier was aware of 2000AD at the time, but I didn´t think about Chaykin´s work. I have to re-read American Flagg again, for sure. Anyway, doesn´t surprise anyone: Chaykin´s stories are filled with big chunks of black humour and satire.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
Judge Black
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
I could see Joe Dredd´s elements in RoboCop, as Neumeier was aware of 2000AD at the time, but I didn´t think about Chaykin´s work. I have to re-read American Flagg again, for sure. Anyway, doesn´t surprise anyone: Chaykin´s stories are filled with big chunks of black humour and satire.

You can see the influence of Flagg on RoboCop especially in Chaykin's constant use of news-broadcasts and adverts to inform the story and Flagg gets a robot cop as a partner.

Chaykin is mentioned in the thanks list at the end of RoboCop. He was hired to design RoboCop's car - his design was never used:

https://books.google.ie/books?id=5OVZ8cw5liAC&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq=howard+chaykin+judge+dredd&source=bl&ots=rUA-PzbRNe&sig=GSzGc3my4W1FoK4G0pra0l5CYBg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij1vmPyYTMAhVDgQ8KHe7WDMMQ6AEIOzAL#v=onepage&q=howard%20chaykin%20judge%20dredd&f=false

ChAnOoD :
I could see Joe Dredd´s elements in RoboCop, as Neumeier was aware of 2000AD at the time

Chaykin also pitched and wrote an early treatment of Judge Dredd when it was being developed by Charles Lipppincott in the 1980s. It was around this time that Ed Neumeier was also trying to pitch his own version of a Dredd film to the studios against Charles Lippincott - who was the actual rights holder - in the hope of convincing a studio to buy-out Lippincott's option. It didn't work out so he went on to make RoboCop.

It was a bit of a bone of contention when RoboCop was released as the Lippincott camp felt many of Dredd's concepts were taken for RoboCop and Lippincott's Producer Ed Pressman wanted to sue them but Jon Davison - RoboCop Producer - was a friend of Lippincott's and he didn't want to sue. Davison said to Lippincott and his assistant Susan Nicoletti after a screening of RoboCop, "It's Judge Dredd isn't it?"

RB 306

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Judge Black :
It was around this time that Ed Neumeier was also trying to pitch his own version of a Dredd film to the studios against Charles Lippincott

So, The Series technicial was named after him. Interesting.

RB 10830

Judge Black
R-L4

R-L4

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:32 pm Reply with quote

ChAnOoD :
Judge Black :
It was around this time that Ed Neumeier was also trying to pitch his own version of a Dredd film to the studios against Charles Lippincott

So, The Series technicial was named after him. Interesting.

Yeah - probably an inside joke.

RB 306

RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote

Judge Black :
Chaykin is mentioned in the thanks list at the end of RoboCop. He was hired to design RoboCop's car - his design was never used:

https://books.google.ie/books?id=5OVZ8cw5liAC&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq=howard+chaykin+judge+dredd&source=bl&ots=rUA-PzbRNe&sig=GSzGc3my4W1FoK4G0pra0l5CYBg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwij1vmPyYTMAhVDgQ8KHe7WDMMQ6AEIOzAL#v=onepage&q=howard%20chaykin%20judge%20dredd&f=false

lol Chaykin always sounds so pissed off when asked about RoboCop...

Its an interesting read. I can't say that it would have made for a good movie necessarily but I'm sure it would've been better than Robo 3 Laughing

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> The Big Robo topics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard