New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

3D Printed Robocop Suit 1987 Build- COMPLETE
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

pchrisbosh1
O-L1

O-L1

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Hello everyone, as the title states this is a 3d print build of the classic Robocop suit. I've primarily been into building Ghostbusters props over on GBFans.com throughout the years.
IMG_4323 by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr

After building a few proton packs and getting somewhat decent at it, I thought I would take on the venture of finally being able to put together a moderately decent Robocop suit. I bought a Hansing suit years ago and was pretty disappointed with it in terms of quality and ended up selling it. Since it's probably the closest thing out there in terms of a Robocop suit that somewhat looks the part I did regret selling it and thought I would probably never be able to own one again. Those suits have become more scarce and scarce throughout the years and when someone does pop up with one they want to sell it near 5 grand. With 3D printing becoming more viable I should be able to assemble this suit at a small fraction of that cost but it will definitely require a lot more shoulder work.

With that aside DO3D has finally taken on the challenge of doing a classic Robocop suit.
download_2 by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr
I recently got their 3D files and decided to take on the adventure of printing it and putting it together. The suit is not completely movie accurate but they did do a great job for a first attempt and when done will look pretty close to the real deal. It's going to be a fantastic base to work with and add in the details I desire. I'm confident in the end it will be a great looking Robocop suit.

I've been kind of lurking over on RPF and watching TKCC71's Mark 46 Iron Man build http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=258016 with DO3D files and that has been a huge inspiration on taking on this endeavor. He's done an amazing job and I can't believe how amazing that suit is coming out. So I have to give thanks because I probably would not have attempted this if I hadn't seen his build.

A lot of the pieces are going to have to be sliced to make them printable but Netfabb does a great and easy job in that area so it shouldn't be a problem. I don't plan on selling these or making molds at this point. I will probably just fiberglass the pieces I clean up, print and put together. It's going to be an adventure in itself just trying to figure out how to get these pieces placed on the print bed the proper way so they will print out half way decent.
Capture by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr

I'm going to be printing with Simplify3D with PLA probably around .1700mm layer height. Here's a sneak peak of a chest piece done in ABS.
IMG_5332 by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr
This is was just a test piece to see the quality of the files. So far so good, I think it came out great. I'll be doing the rest of the suit in PLA because it's far less finnicky and easier to print with. This is probably going to be a long project but I'll try to update regularly on my progress.

RB 1132

RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote

What model of printer are you using?

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
pchrisbosh1
O-L1

O-L1

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote

QIDI 3D Printer it's a Makerbot clone but it's a pretty good printer and runs smooth.

RB 1132

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Ambitious effort to make for sure, will enjoy seeing this as it progresses through.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
pchrisbosh1
O-L1

O-L1

Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote

Thank you. As soon as my material comes in this week I plan to start hitting it hard and hopefully post some good progress results.

RB 1132

RoboPimp
PIMPY SUPREME

CH-L1

Comment: "You dead wrong if ya think that pimpin' gon' die" - Snoop Dogg, P.I.M.P. (Remix)

Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote

So far so good. I like seeing Robofans think outside the box and find creative solutions to getting a suit. A couple years ago there were very few options but not that technology has evolved so much you can literally print out a Robo suit, which I find to be pretty awesome. Looking forward to seeing the finished product, good luck getting there.

RB 1658

robocop-helmet robopimp-helmet
ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote

Wow, that looks cool! Looking foward for more pics.

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
CAIN MKII
the killing machine

C-L1

Comment: Artificial intelligence beat real stupidity.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote

Very impressive job Shocked

Bwaaaaaaaah!!! PEA SHOOTER!!!

RB 1965

robocop-figure4 RoboCain-v2 prototype-figure1 prototype-figure2 nuke-red-ramrod dvd-robocop2 Gun-T2 Mini Gun punisher-skull
DarthVader1
L-L1

L-L1

Comment: I find your lack of faith disturbing!

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote

I don't want to be a "party-pooper" on this project... but just an opinion on getting 3D files online; not the best ACCURATE source to make this project. They are taking the files based from the PEPAKURA fiels, which are WAAAAY off from accurate.

My opinion is to actually 3D SCAN of an actual suit (by piece), and go from there. I believe that by doing that, it will fix the Hansing suit, and be able to fix EASILY the mistakes made before, including concentrating on the details even better than sculpting and / or reshaping them.

Just my 2 cents.

#3dscan Wink

RB 2772

starwars-darthvader SW-Imperial game-xbox robo-rights
pchrisbosh1
O-L1

O-L1

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the comments, I'm really excited to work on this and hope it's something I could complete in due time.

DarthVader1 :
I don't want to be a "party-pooper" on this project... but just an opinion on getting 3D files online; not the best ACCURATE source to make this project. They are taking the files based from the PEPAKURA fiels, which are WAAAAY off from accurate.

My opinion is to actually 3D SCAN of an actual suit (by piece), and go from there. I believe that by doing that, it will fix the Hansing suit, and be able to fix EASILY the mistakes made before, including concentrating on the details even better than sculpting and / or reshaping them.

Just my 2 cents.

#3dscan Wink

That would be a great idea if those actual resources were available, but unfortunately they are not. All that is available at this point in all actuality is pretty much.....nothing. This project is just a fun personal project and is something I won't even be making molds of. I owned a Hansing suit and that was also very far from accurate but when fixed up a little and with a nice paint job even with the shoddy details it still somewhat looked like a Robocop suit. So although this 3d model is far from perfect in which I agree it really is the only alternative for the moment and will look far better then a Hansing suit when finished.

Here is picture of a printed foot before clean up. This is another test piece printed with cheap filament. I'll be reprinting with better quality filament when it comes in. I think is came out pretty good, the details are crisp.
IMG_5027 by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr
IMG_5026 by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr

RB 1132

ChAnOoD
DC-L4

DC-L4

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Oh, looks nice!

RB 10830

batman-figure robocop-figure4 sgt-reed dredd1 robocop-helmet auto9 ultra5 AirWolf
RoboHell
RoboPops!

DC-L5

Comment: Murphy had a wife and son....what happend to them?

News Topic Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Filthy Rich Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Wow, that's so cool. Those feet look fantastic!

RB 106381

auto9 cobragun desert-eagle mac11 judge-dredd-lawgiver police-sig-sauer alien-pulse-rifle mac11-dual
DarthVader1
L-L1

L-L1

Comment: I find your lack of faith disturbing!

Great Work Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote

That looks AMAZING!

pchrisbosh1 :

That would be a great idea if those actual resources were available, but unfortunately they are not. All that is available at this point in all actuality is pretty much.....nothing. This project is just a fun personal project and is something I won't even be making molds of. I owned a Hansing suit and that was also very far from accurate but when fixed up a little and with a nice paint job even with the shoddy details it still somewhat looked like a Robocop suit. So although this 3d model is far from perfect in which I agree it really is the only alternative for the moment and will look far better then a Hansing suit when finished.

Totally agree with you as well.

RB 2772

starwars-darthvader SW-Imperial game-xbox robo-rights
pchrisbosh1
O-L1

O-L1

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys!

Here is the foot re-worked a tid bit. I was really testing the waters with this piece, just trying to figure out what method I'm going to use to get the parts somewhat smooth and how well I could work with the PLA to fix slight inaccuracies. I wasn't going for perfection since I'm going to reprint it but with the amount of work I put into the piece, it still came out pretty good.
IMG_5032 by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr
IMG_5035 by pchrisbosh1, on Flickr

RB 1132

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> Props, suits and figures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard