New user registration is currently closed         PMLog in for PM  Log inLog in 

James Cameron talks RoboCop and RoboCop 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

Great Posts  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Gun Crazy (Amount: 1) OCP Rank (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote

artuditu :
Spectrum Scarlet :
R2 was well-made, production-wise. Kershner's camerawork, the stunts, etc. Stellar. The direction it was taken in, story-wise, was flawed. But it still made for a damn good shoot 'em up. The emotional scenes (what few there were) were wonderfully handled.

I agree his opinion on R2 is very harsh, I still consider it a mixed-to-good film, flawed with many interesting things. I find best and worst things of R2 are in the story though, while I wouldn't include camerawork and direction among its top virtues, not saying they're bad but compared to R1 it's just playing another league. R2 is kind of safe and conservative visual style (except perhaps in the final Cain vs Robo showdown, FX/stop-motion feast), while R1 is full of dynamic, gripping and visionary shots and editing, not just in the action/FX bits.

I can see why Cameron would define R1 as a well made film and R2 as a pile of dog shit, it's an extreme opinion with no room for gray areas, but reflects the idea of two movies just playing separate leagues.

Also, from a promotional point of view, since he was at that moment selling a long-awaited sequel, I think he is just putting distance between T2 and R2 (which was released recently).

Pretty much with this all the way.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote

For the record, this is my new favorite James Cameron quote Laughing

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote

I kinda like that R2 is given that edge - "disgusting, violent" - its just, i dont know, plain cool like R rated movies used to be when we were kids. I like that idea of R2 being this violent offensive underdog

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
RoboWags
Ultra Police Watch Commander

L-L1

Comment: "Its time to show how real cops kick ass."

Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Work Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote

I love all three Robo movies. 2 and 3 have their issues but I find the good in each. R3 needed to be R-rated...

RB 2728

ultra1 ultra2 lewis-figure2 game-nes1 sprite-robocop1 award comic1-robocop
Stan The Man
Bah Concepts Division

OCP4 - L1

Comment: I'm the guy in Old Archive.

News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Public Trust - Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 3/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote

KidGoesWild :
I kinda like that R2 is given that edge - "disgusting, violent" - its just, i dont know, plain cool like R rated movies used to be when we were kids. I like that idea of R2 being this violent offensive underdog

Have to admit there is something to that that holds for me as well.

RoboWags :
I love all three Robo movies. 2 and 3 have their issues but I find the good in each.

Prudent enough response. tongue And actually quite fair as well - I'd like to think this applies to the vast majority of us, actually.

Quote:
R3 needed to be R-rated...

Oh yeah. At least I don't see what it would have hurt.

RB 52679

AirWolf OCP-stock ED-209-3D auto9 cobragun robocop3-gunarm alien-pulse-rifle Gun-T2 Mini Gun
Rick
CH-L4

CH-L4

Comment: I'm The No. 2 Guy Around Here

Great Robofan Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) Contest Winner Level 1/3 (Amount: 1) News Topic Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Topic  Level 2/3 (Amount: 1)
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote

With them featuring another child, Orion probably didn't want more backlash over having children involved in such a violent film, so they made the film less violent and ensured the child be a good character rather than a baddie to attract more controversy.

RB 17167

KidGoesWild
L-L3

L-L3

Comment: I type it, you think it

Great Topic  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) Great Robofan Level 2/3 (Amount: 1) Great Posts  Level 3/3 (Amount: 1) RoboCop2 fan (Amount: 1)
Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote

Paddy :
With them featuring another child, Orion probably didn't want more backlash over having children involved in such a violent film, so they made the film less violent and ensured the child be a good character rather than a baddie to attract more controversy.

Yeah, R3 is like a total opposite of R2, its like Batman Forever to Batman Returns. I guess after they received heavy criticism about R2 overdoing it as far as cruelty and violence, they did the opposite but insanely toning down the violence, dropping the rating and having a kid thats nice, heroic and straight from family movies

http://robocopmovies.blogspot.com/

RB 525

dvd-robocop2 prototype-figure2 prototype-figure1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RoboCop Archive Forum Index -> General Robo Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Download Topic

Jump to:  

The RoboCop Archive Messageboard